ABF | The contract is ratified as of November 3

Rollin, you may want to be careful what you post. This statement could be considered a “threat with the intent to do great bodily harm” a class 1 felony. When I was much younger I recall arresting one or two people for this exact type of indirect threat.

Lets not get carried away in the heat of the moment......lol ....... I think he was just being facetious... I don't think his comment quite rises to the level of a "threat with the intent to do great bodily harm" ... Anyway... carry on...!

It's funny, when a conflict of interest disrupts someone's agenda, they immediately go on the offense to get the source banned from the boards. I'll continue to monitor any anti-abf activity. It's my job. Lol

Thanks Song, I did not know that about Freightliner. In 1982 I was spending my time in Europe guarding the Berlin Wall and enjoying the freedoms of European hospitality. I knew that CF started ConWay and I assumed it was done with the profits from CF. It is my mistake for making an assumption. But in my defense, most companies fund diversification through profits from the parent company. Like ABC is doing with Panther and the other subsidiaries under the ABC umbrella.

Thanks for your service! It would be an easy assumption to make but having worked for Con-way I learned more of the story than what folks on the outside looking in might have been privy to.

Thanks for your service! It would be an easy assumption to make but having worked for Con-way I learned more of the story than what folks on the outside looking in might have been privy to.

A lot has been left out on your end also but im sure they only told you what they wanted to be heard. CF was the biggest corporate ****** that ever occurred legally. Unless you were really on the inside looking out you dont know 1% of the things that happened to destroy CF.

I have no problems with you at all but the story of CFs demise is a little more than paying ConWays bills for a few years and then being spun off.

but I'm a guest on this board so I won't get in a pissing contest with you. I was sincere in my sympathies to the employees of ABF not being sarcastic.

Brother,...we're all in this together, whether we know it or not. There's a larger force than just ABF management whacking at driver's compensation. If we would've gotten a raise, it's very probable,....due to conditions based on the availability of qualified LTL drivers,....that many non-Union drivers might've seen a pay raise,............to "keep the natives quiet" sort of raise. The benchmark has been erased,...instead of us being a commodity to our employers, the sales department has declared driver's wages to be an impediment to profit. Actually, driver's wages, to the sales department is the limiting factor on how low freight discounting per company, can go. Well,.....the floor has been removed,...and we all,...Union and non-Union,...will suffer. The only mitigating factor is the age and availability of qualified LTL drivers. As the economy improves, and entry-level drivers disappear,....because of the pay, lifestyle, lack of overtime, lack of pension,.....and mainly,...far better employment opportunities in occupations other than trucking,.......we all may become much more of a valued commodity than the sales force wants us to be. Fun times are ahead,.....and this contract,...for ABF, is nothing more than a short-term solution for a long-term problem. Of course, the management that came up with this solution,.....and the IBT ...."leaders",...who enabled them to terrorize the rank-and-file,.....will all be long gone, with the "spoils" of their ill-gotten gains,.........retired in Florida,.....by the time the Perfect Storm hits the trucking industry............No entry-level drivers,..........and an age-heavy workforce on the verge of retirement,...........about 5 years from now.......Will be interesting, I'm sure......

Thanks Song, I did not know that about Freightliner. In 1982 I was spending my time in Europe guarding the Berlin Wall and enjoying the freedoms of European hospitality. I knew that CF started ConWay and I assumed it was done with the profits from CF. It is my mistake for making an assumption. But in my defense, most companies fund diversification through profits from the parent company. Like ABC is doing with Panther and the other subsidiaries under the ABC umbrella.
I would say that CF built the Freightliner brand with CF funds thus indirectly using CF funds to build the Conway brand if they sold Freightliner to start up Conway.

Really ? How so? We're still the highest compensated drivers in the industry
Agreed with moving on. Might as well say we have no pension. Central States Team Care is a joke. We make LESS per hour then the non union carriers.
Thank zollars
We highest compensated or not? Thank Zollars or someone else?
You would best serve yourself by educating yourself on a subject before speaking.

How much does the company pay into a pension fund for you? How much do you pay for medical insurance?
Both of those are definitely to be factored in. What worries me is how much pension will I be able to actually collect?

That is a big worry, Brother ABFer. Contractually,....ABF will be providing the funding,....however, management of the Funds,....proper management under the PPA of 2006,...will end up being a legislative issue. Personally, I find it incongruous that the stock market has had a record run, topping out over 15000,...and setting records every week, yet our various multi-employer pension funds somehow don't seem to be able to reap the rewards of a booming investment climate. I realize that some of that problem is because of a larger share of retirees and survivors are taking more out of the funds than a shrinking pool of existing employees,.....and employers,....are putting in,....but those problems shouldn't account for a widening gap,....that gap should be slowly closing due to record, booming profits in investments. If the IBT would've been actively organizing companies,.....if the participating employers would've acted like they had a financial stake in the well-being of these funds,....instead of crying about "unfunded liabilities" and "orphans that never worked for that particular company",....If the government would've given Multi-Employer funds relief in the same year that they gave it to Single-Employer funds....(2002),...instead of waiting until the problem was critical, and funds were failing, and only then coming out with the imperfect PPA of 2006,....If all,...or just some of these problems were addressed in the past two decades, we wouldn't be in the funding problem we are now. Of course, our so-called....."leadership"....at the IBT,...has to "negotiate" MOU's with YRC that specifically de-funds pension funds,....and they've never made a point to actively engage participating employers to help lobby Congress for a better funding solution,.........(Employers were content to say: "Hey, we gave you the contractual amount of money! What more do you want?"),,,....never made that point until it became painfully evident to the employers that ignoring the growing unfunded liability was.....financially stupid. Our ....."leadership"....in the IBT headquarters,....as smart as they tout themselves to be,.....are the inadvertent architects,...due to their inaction and stupidity,....of many of our funds having problems. Employers, too,...must take some blame,....for feeling that just providing the money alleviated them of the responsibility of the healthiness of the funds. Both the IBT and the Employers,......and us,...the rank-and-file,....have to ACTIVELY push our Congresspeople for a legislative answer. We can't afford to lay down on this one,....and neither can our employers. Of Course, the IBT, creating this problem,....is clueless as a diplodicus kicked in the tail,....belatedly, they might ,....maybe,....push for a legislative answer,......especially if their pension might be affected in any way,...but right now, they think they'll all retire on multiple pensions and be sitting on bags of money in the Florida sunshine,....so they're not too concerned,.....yet. Wait until a few Trustees in a few plans start cutting retiree benefits,....especially former officer benefits. Then the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth will occur.........

That's too long a story for me to read but I'm confident it's all right on the money. One thing to keep in mind is that the market has had a good run this year and that the Funds' analyses will not reflect that until they're completed next spring. Let's see what they show and hope for better reports than we have had the last several years as the market dove quickly then slowly recovered.

Well it's not really that cold here so I best get me arse out into the yard and close up for winter.

We highest compensated or not? Thank Zollars or someone else?
You would best serve yourself by educating yourself on a subject before speaking.
My first quote to a question about abf....my second quote was related to the yrc driver.... In other words, abf employees are still the highest compensated in the Ltl buisness and zollars is the root cause of yrc's issues. Just some clarity

My first quote to a question about abf....my second quote was related to the yrc driver.... In other words, abf employees are still the highest compensated in the Ltl buisness and zollars is the root cause of yrc's issues. Just some clarity
OK, got it but there are still some better jobs out there than what we have. And at the rate we're going that trend will continue and grow.