ODFL | $$$ The Raise $$$

makes waves

It makes waves alright,everybody else gets blowed out with their freight.Remember Jones,Asst. Transport,ARA Smith,Hemingway,Youngblood,McLean,CF ??

JIM BOB I am not going to argue with you about it because you will think I'm trying to turn this into a union/nonunion issue and I'm not
He ask a question and I tried to answer it thats all.
Hope you have a nice day and I have never knocked your company in any post I've ever done.

He asked about the last 10 years not before that.

JIM BOB said:
They need members.IF UPS goes,IF ESTES goes we are the only one left.
Nobody's asking you to join the Union. As for myself, I was merely pointing out that I thought Sparky's post didn't provide a realistic sampling of where OD's payrates fall in the category that OD falls under....LTL. Hell, any LTL Companies pay would look good when compared to what 95% of Truckload Carriers pay. I just brought the debate into it's proper perspective.

details

I wonder what the complete histories of those companies' demise were. Are we supposed to assume the union was 100% to blame? Union companies aren't the only companies that bite the dust, and the reasons are more complex than just labor costs. How about the costs of executive greed or mismanagement?

I worked at a small non-union, good ole boy tanker company a few years back. I worked about 85 hours a week on avg (yeah, we stretched the logbook; it was expected), and there were many Saturday mornings where I was filling my company tractor on one pump while our operations manager was filling his company pickup with diesel on the second pump (GMC Duramax crew cab 4X4 -- money well spent for a pencil pusher and fat chewer, huh?). Except, he had his family loaded up with his ski boat in tow! Yep, headed to the lake; paid for with my sweat. He was rarely at work, left by 2 or 3 pm most days, and took most every Friday off too. I was paid 30 cents per mile at that joke of a company! (I averaged $700/week for my 85 hour week = $8.24) How much more could I make putting my life on the line hauling chemicals, when company money isn't wasted on the excesses of management?

stldude44 said:
Sparky,
Your pay comparison shouldn't include anything but LTL operations, since that's what OD is. When you water down the compensation numbers by including the Truckload sector, of course OD's pay looks better on average. I'm not sure what the hourly pay is at OD or how long it takes to reach full scale as a city driver or dockhand, but OD's mileage pay for road drivers is below the LTL average full scale and well below the best full scale paying LTL Companies, where the rate is 54.400 cents per mile.

Yes I of course knew that I was answering a post by Dollar Bill where he stated that getting fired by OD is a move up by any driver and I pointed out that OD would be a move up to the majority of drivers he also did not specify LTL drivers and I proved it by posting the information. I did not post that it would be a move up by LTL company drivers. I find it interesting that other non union companies seem to pay their drivers closer to union pay and wonder why. Of course I can understand why conway does you must work long hard hours and it takes 8 years to move up to full pay, I think, More power to them. Many non union carriers may have other work rules that I would find discouraging and I have talked to many drivers and often am glad that I do not work there for one reason or another. Also many time there are policies of that other non union companies that would bring my end of year pay below what I make at OD if you calculated it by the hour. I make a good living working for OD and I find the work atmosphere for the most part very good. OD does not have a high turnover at least where I am from and there is a reason for that. Personally i think it is because you do not have to watch your back all the time. Most drivers would find it a step up as long as it is not important to them to have a big car and shiney wheels.

sparky said:
Yes I of course knew that I was answering a post by Dollar Bill where he stated that getting fired by OD is a move up by any driver and I pointed out that OD would be a move up to the majority of drivers he also did not specify LTL drivers and I proved it by posting the information. I did not post that it would be a move up by LTL company drivers. I find it interesting that other non union companies seem to pay their drivers closer to union pay and wonder why. Of course I can understand why conway does you must work long hard hours and it takes 8 years to move up to full pay, I think, More power to them. Many non union carriers may have other work rules that I would find discouraging and I have talked to many drivers and often am glad that I do not work there for one reason or another. Also many time there are policies of that other non union companies that would bring my end of year pay below what I make at OD if you calculated it by the hour. I make a good living working for OD and I find the work atmosphere for the most part very good. OD does not have a high turnover at least where I am from and there is a reason for that. Personally i think it is because you do not have to watch your back all the time. Most drivers would find it a step up as long as it is not important to them to have a big car and shiney wheels.
yes i was talking about ltl an con way is only 5 years up north dont no about south or west.

DOLLAR BILL said:
yes i was talking about Lt an con way is only 5 years up north dint no about south or west.

Oh OK glad you set me strait. You have to be specific you know you can not just come back and say "I meant"

DOLLAR BILL said:
if a person get fired from od if he stay in trucking he just improved his life style.you just use od as a stepping stone.:wacko:

You said "trucking" so I set you straight

I still stick by my post the majority of "truckers" would find OD a step up. Where do you work anyway.