XPO | Things are terrible at my barn.

we are a class 1 in mid west have at least 15 working dock at night instead of running 1 -2 sitting on our daytime line haul working dock instead finally giving cc days but really how many can you take untill you start feeling it . we all need money !!!! not to worry though slower times are coming getting closer to the holidays . you know xpo cut a couple f---kn long boxes and let your drivers run you say your employees are so important to you try showing it fu---k these sub service vans we load every f==== night this is bull s-----t !!!!!:emoticon digging:keep digging that hole xpo/ conway:438::1904:

We tried that in the past.
FedEx was doing the same thing back then. They will fill their lanes regardless of what it costs.
Wasn't it about that time that they both slashed drivers' pay and/or benefits? It is easy to work for nothing or at a loss when you have a piggy bank that you can tap. The do the deeds and we pay the price for it.

fed ex driver in phoenix told me today they are discounting frt 93% and they are slammed.
When you don't care what condition your freight gets delivered in or how long it takes then fedex economy is certainly the cheapest way to go! Most of my customers can't stand the condition FedEx delivers there freight, I guess there's a niche for everyone.

Wasn't it about that time that they both slashed drivers' pay and/or benefits? It is easy to work for nothing or at a loss when you have a piggy bank that you can tap. The do the deeds and we pay the price for it.

Yes. Exactly.

When you don't care what condition your freight gets delivered in or how long it takes then fedex economy is certainly the cheapest way to go! Most of my customers can't stand the condition FedEx delivers there freight, I guess there's a niche for everyone.

They feel so good saving $20 on the shipping costs to lose $200 worth of freight in transit. But you can't tell people anything.

Personally, I'm done with Con-way/XPO locally. XPO is hiring in my area right now for a regional driver. I might even apply.... -> NOT. I'm going to hold out as long as I can, but if I am on the dock not working for another week in a row. I'll be out looking for a new job very soon.

There is other places hiring in my area and from my time here I have saw nothing but the same week after week. It gets old. How hard is it to communicate with people telling them whats going on; even if it's bad news. Some news is better than no news. I'm not starving here(next week will be my 3rd largest check ever here) but I sure am not happy being blind and worrying about working the dock every day instead of driving.

And everyone always says, you'll take a pay cut. I don't care to take a little pay cut for better working conditions(communication, same truck everyday, not being froze on the cold dock every night).

http://www.indeed.com/q-xpo-driver-jobs.html

XiDr30x.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't run the road for quite a while so I want to know how attainable that $1200/wk could be at $.42/mile. I can say that calling an 80/20 BSBC plan a, "great family medical package", is BS. And isn't $.42/mile somewhat less than what you guys are making now?

80/20 BSBC plan from I can tell is actually better than the plan we currently are under(LTL side). The $.42/mile isn't the best, but its not horrible either. I can't remember what you start out at on our LTL side. I think $.48/mile. 500 mi x $0.42 is $210.00/day x 5 = $1050.00 so who knows. The ad says the $1000/$12000 is gross as well.

He's hiring everywhere. Regional. Well that replaces line haul runs, don't it ? No hazmat or doubles. They won't be able to take it all. Incentive pay. Weren't we all worried about that working it's way into our compensation some how ? CDL B straight truck drivers to do city work. Bringing in an army of temporary labor to work the dock. Just be calm. It's only the second week. The new CEO didn't start until Wednesday. You'll see his plan soon enough. Just relax. All these guys that know it all. They don't know anything.

Personally, I'm done with Con-way/XPO locally. XPO is hiring in my area right now for a regional driver. I might even apply.... -> NOT. I'm going to hold out as long as I can, but if I am on the dock not working for another week in a row. I'll be out looking for a new job very soon.

There is other places hiring in my area and from my time here I have saw nothing but the same week after week. It gets old. How hard is it to communicate with people telling them whats going on; even if it's bad news. Some news is better than no news. I'm not starving here(next week will be my 3rd largest check ever here) but I sure am not happy being blind and worrying about working the dock every day instead of driving.

And everyone always says, you'll take a pay cut. I don't care to take a little pay cut for better working conditions(communication, same truck everyday, not being froze on the cold dock every night).

There are the guys to old to quit. They will be here regardless. They need the health care and don't care about the pay check at all.

There are the guys to worthless. A poorly trained dog holds more value to an employer. No one would hire them and no one understands how they got hired here or why they haven't been fired a long time ago.

There are the guys wanting to see what happens. A touch of optimism. What if it works out ? They'll stay until spring at least. Nobody wants to be a new guy somewhere else. And nobody wants to be a new guy in bad weather.

There are all the new guys. We just hit a massive slow down in the economy. Many of them just got their license. They are all looking for where to go next.

There are all the guys that got out over the last year-year and a half that keep calling and telling us how they told us so.

Perspective is tricky. This is very different picture. Depending on where you stand.

XiDr30x.jpg
My guess with all of the XPO ads - I've worked for other nation wide companies and they run "flood" advertising for positions that they may never fill ( the federal government does this as well ) When I asked corporate HR "why run ads for jobs you won't fill?" So they'll have a pool of applicants to draw from when there's a need.

There are the guys to old to quit. They will be here regardless. They need the health care and don't care about the pay check at all.

Perspective is tricky. This is very different picture. Depending on where you stand.

You're very right here. Con-way/XPO has loads of older individuals working for them that have no want to do anything more then they do now. They simply want to continue on another couple years to retirement. I'm a younger guy wanting to work. I don't mind paying my dues somewhere but having done that here at Con-way/XPO I just get more of the same. My wife doesn't necessarily want me to be gone all the time, and I don't want to be gone all the time either. However, I'm okay with doing a regional gig. I don't mind being gone for a day or three and then see her a bit. I don't want to be gone two weeks with one day home though, however.

I applied for a regional position within our company(we are one after all aren't we?). We'll see what happens.

I saw a nature video of a polar bear, after swimming 25 miles over open ocean to an island where he knew walruses would be hold up, silently came ashore down wind on the opposite end of the island where the walruses were. The bear then crept over rocks and other terrain advancing to within striking distance of the walrus herd. But he didn't make his move immediately. The bear had to choose his target, a pup, and to wait till the herd had settled down and was nearly asleep. This drama sticks in my mind because the narrator then said this about the bear..."He is ALL PATIENCE". And when the conditions were absolutely perfect, the bear attacked and overpowered a young pup walrus in spite of its mother defense and sustained himself for another day in the unforgiving Arctic. All that to say this,1) just to reiterate and emphasize what's already been stated on this thread, "the economy is weak, hence freight is scarce everywhere". 2) We need to be like the polar bear in being, "ALL PATIENCE," in allowing Mr. Jacobs' game plan to gear up. He's got plans to get into 'Economy LTL', which will take time. He's got plans to restructure and integrate both Conway and XPO, which will take time. He is building his sales team and educating them on cross selling all his combined service offerings, which will take time. He's got his two LTL's, the one in Europe and the other here in N. America, hammering out 'best practices' that will ensure efficient and maximum freight flow between the two continents, which will take some time . Guys, its only been two whole weeks since XPO took the reigns, not two years or two decades. Give it some time!!! When this global corporation, 'BIG RED,' starts firing on all cylinders, you'll have all the work you can handle, and then some. Until then, remember ...' ALL PATIENCE.'
Yea, don't worry management would never screw you over!:lmao::lmao::lmao::butt kiss::usa2:

Reactions: NMA
I applied for a regional position within our company(we are one after all aren't we?). We'll see what happens.
Good luck with that. Regional to me means living in a truck gone from home for days and weeks at a time. Crappy food and phone calls to home. No thanks, I would rather work the dock, get paid, and go home every night. Its all about the money to me. I hate working the dock but if that is how the money gets made for the week saddle up my forklift and lets break some freight. I will never go OTR/regional again unless that is my only and last option to provide for my family.

You're very right here. Con-way/XPO has loads of older individuals working for them that have no want to do anything more then they do now. They simply want to continue on another couple years to retirement. I'm a younger guy wanting to work. I don't mind paying my dues somewhere but having done that here at Con-way/XPO I just get more of the same. My wife doesn't necessarily want me to be gone all the time, and I don't want to be gone all the time either. However, I'm okay with doing a regional gig. I don't mind being gone for a day or three and then see her a bit. I don't want to be gone two weeks with one day home though, however.

Tell us how it goes. I agree on home time. I ain't going to live in a truck. This year should be full of interesting happenings.

Good luck with that. Regional to me means living in a truck gone from home for days and weeks at a time. Crappy food and phone calls to home. No thanks, I would rather work the dock, get paid, and go home every night. Its all about the money to me. I hate working the dock but if that is how the money gets made for the week saddle up my forklift and lets break some freight. I will never go OTR/regional again unless that is my only and last option to provide for my family.

Better get that dock money while you can. It might not be there very much longer.

Its not an issue for me thankfully. I hope and pray that it won't be an issue for any of us in the future.

I gotta believe he intends to run the dock very differently. Optimizers for inbound and outbound. As well as line haul and P&D routes.

I gotta believe he intends to run the dock very differently. Optimizers for inbound and outbound. As well as line haul and P&D routes.
I think that he has got to start running some logistics freight through our system. I hope he does. I hate to hear about drivers sitting idle. I hate the fact that we run purchase while our guys are sitting on a lift or in 9lives situation, at home. If we did not run purchase at my place we could probably have 80 drivers on linehaul at least.