TForce | Truckload Division to Start Moving LTL Loads - Monday 3/16/2009!

NiKDiesel

TB Regular
Credits
This communications was sent out to the UPS Freight Truckload Division - Yesterday (March 13th. 2009)

Beginning Monday 3/16/2009 - We Start Moving LTL Loads!

These loads are to be treated with High Priority!

You will be planned to arrive at the LTL terminal - ten (10) hours prior to departure time...

As there is No Room for Taking a Break - while Under these Loads... Until it Reaches the Destination Terminal!

You are Expected to be Professional and Adhere to Departure and Arrival Times!

DISCIPLINARY ACTION WILL BE TAKEN - IF PROCEDURES ARE NOT FOLLOWED!

We will be moving loads on a Daily Basis (to include weekends at some locations)

Now LTL and TRUCKLOAD in Harmony!

It's a New Day - lets keep it that way!

Sounds to Me like an Open Invitation... for the Truckload Division to Organize!

I don't know about the rest of You...

But, I've seen enough job loss - within Our own division!

I can guarantee You... that this is not going to be well received - at Our location!

This is Our Freight!

This is Our Work!

And I intend upon keeping it that way!

There goes any hope of callbacks for our roadguys on layoff! Will these Truckload employees be held to the appearance policy like we are? Some of 'em have uniforms the other ones I see are in tshirts/jeans, like any other TL outfit...

I'm assuming they will be dispatched like contractors are, to avoid infringing on our contract? Or will UPS Freight Truckload be eliminating the use contractors like Landspan, JNJ, etc.???

I would also watch for these new air freight divisions moving in to our break bulks, that they are NOT pulling any ltl freight.

There goes any hope of callbacks for our roadguys on layoff! Will these Truckload employees be held to the appearance policy like we are? Some of 'em have uniforms the other ones I see are in tshirts/jeans, like any other TL outfit...

I'm assuming they will be dispatched like contractors are, to avoid infringing on our contract? Or will UPS Freight Truckload be eliminating the use contractors like Landspan, JNJ, etc.???

Everyone needs to pass this communication on to their BA's - Right Now!

They have been doing it and We have been grieving it, what's the difference truckload, independant, contractors it's all the same.

I don't know about the rest of You...

But, I've seen enough job loss - within Our own division!

I can guarantee You... that this is not going to be well received - at Our location!

This is Our Freight!

This is Our Work!

And I intend upon keeping it that way!

Allthough I agree with your statement nik, these could be more then 500 mile runs, if they are ,they are not infringing on the contract if it is out of the LTL scope, the best we can do, is to follow the mileage of the trucks and calculate the miles driven point to point.

I certainly do not want to see people on layoff, but if it is out of the scope of LTL then at the very least the movement is inhouse, more money for us.

Sales anticipates more then a 3% growth company wide this year, and with that being said, people should be called back I would assume.

Allthough I agree with your statement nik, these could be more then 500 mile runs, if they are ,they are not infringing on the contract if it is out of the LTL scope, the best we can do, is to follow the mileage of the trucks and calculate the miles driven point to point.

I certainly do not want to see people on layoff, but if it is out of the scope of LTL then at the very least the movement is inhouse, more money for us.

Sales anticipates more then a 3% growth company wide this year, and with that being said, people should be called back I would assume.

You accept too much!

But, then again... Your terminal is in a different situation... isn't it?

(that is not a personal attack... that is a generalization - towards anyone agreeing with Your reasoning above)

Us terminals that have suffered significant job loss, lay-offs and are not even mentioning hiring additional help moving forward into the spring and summer months...

Are not going to be so "assuming"

This is suppose to be a Meet and Greet Operation!

Isn't that the direction that was presented?

The elimination of lay-over’s...

With only 12,600 employees at time of ratification...

I am not so willing to accept the BS placed upon Us all throughout this last winter!

Granted the economy took a down swing...

But, an awful lot was given away... unnecessarily!

I see no justification in anything done to this point!

I see no justification in this Truckload Division - hauling Our freight!

Meet and Greets...

Turns and Burns...

That is what We should be Accepting!

That is what We should be Promoting!

Anything else...

is a Smokescreen to Additional Job Loss and Terminal Consolidation.

12,600 - Accelerator...

A Very Small Number... considering an Operation of this Magnitude...

Stamped with a Big Brown and Gold Shield!

Careful, down here we have runs that Miami closes out to HRS that freight has always gone from Miami - Orlando - Gaf (which is a meet at richmond hill) and then from I think it goes strailght to HRS on a sleeper. They did away with those runs and use a contractor to go from MIA straight to HRS no empties being pulled, when you say 500 miles do you mean 500 in that lane or 500 in that leg of the trip?

I also disagree here. At my barn the company has done away with six wild sleeper runs that were pulling freight both ways and is now being pulled by subcontractors and UPS Freight owner-ops. Union company drivers should not be forced to compete with owner-ops or subs for work !

Accelerator enlighting me on something why is 500 miles out of our scope. If we can drive 11 hours at just 55 mph, that's let me see --------------------OK I got it 605 miles, so why is 500 out of our scope??? Also 3% growth and 4% given to contractors and out side carriers that leaves us with a net lose of 1%:popcorn:

Sales anticipates more then a 3% growth company wide this year,

I was told in 2007 - that UPS Freight would be five (5) times it's current size...

Hmmmm... let Me see...

In 2002 - Overnite had 13,000 employee's...

In 2005 - UPS Freight had 14,200 employee's...

In 2006 - UPS Freight had 16,900 employee's...

When We Ratified - April 2008 - UPS Freight had 12,600 employee's...

So, according to "Sales" by the end of this year... We should be back to 13,000 employee's!

Now that's Progress!

In comparison...

UPS Freight - advertised Top Competitors are:

1. FedEx Freight - 35,000 employee's

2. YRC - 37,000 employee's

3. Con-way - 26,600 employee's

or are We really competing with:

1. ABF Freight - 13,000 employee's

2. Estes Express - 12,374 employee's

(?)

I think it's time for Sales to Shake a Leg!

While their at it...

TM's should be doing what they are suppose to be doing...

and getting out their - with the Sales Departments and selling Our services!

This is why most if not all of Your TM's came out of Sales...

They need to continue to sell and meet with customers!

EVEN IF 500 MILES RUNS teams CAN RUN THAT

In comparison...

UPS Freight - advertised Top Competitors are:

1. FedEx Freight - 35,000 employee's

2. YRC - 37,000 employee's

3. Con-way - 26,600 employee's

or are We really competing with:

1. ABF Freight - 13,000 employee's

2. Estes Express - 12,374 employee's

(?)

I know that We are not suppose to quote Ourselves...

But, I forgot to put one other in here...

R&L Carriers - 10,500 employee's

Growth isn't happening people!

And this can be directly attributed to:

The Sales Departments - lacking in numbers!

there's not enough of them!

Hell... at Our terminal - We had only one (1) salesman for the longest time!

The other problem is that TM's aren't entertaining customers!

When I was at ABF... Sales fueled all!

Everything took a back seat to catering to the customer (s)

Tell the customer No...

And You better of had another job lined up - before doing so!

How many times do We hear "No" being spoken to the customer - here?

Too often!

Why?

Because this is how operations manages Us...

It's their way... or else!