ABF | Ue going to 5 days?

I believe that if you have a UE run that hasn't changed since Art.18,Other Services, Premium Service Employee language was changed to Art.3, and you haven't altered the run through a Change of Operations, you get paid the greater of either mileage or hours. We still have one of those runs out of our terminal. Driver makes out good if he's back before 7:00A.M.

When the customers are telling you to hire more people you have problems. As far as other carriers go they seem to pick their freight up on time & able to send in back up if needed....
I'm the only ABF guy in my area. One other LTL has 3 guys, and another has 4 guys. And several others have 2 guys. Go figure.

I'm guessing it's the same company-wide. GROSSLY understaffed no matter what time of year it is.
I can only speak for my terminal & the answer is yes. Every other carrier is saying how slow they are& this company is leaving freight all over the place. One of our biggest customers we have, we left 60 skids on their dock this week (Nbty)

I can only speak for my terminal & the answer is yes. Every other carrier is saying how slow they are& this company is leaving freight all over the place. One of our biggest customers we have, we left 60 skids on their dock this week (Nbty)
You are speaking of Natures Bounty Vitamins and supplements, correct?Leaving all that sort and segregate freight behind may be a blessing. NTBY was always exempt from assessorial charges when they negotiate with carriers. Always was a loser. Too labor intense to make any profit on it.

You are speaking of Natures Bounty Vitamins and supplements, correct?Leaving all that sort and segregate freight behind may be a blessing. NTBY was always exempt from assessorial charges when they negotiate with carriers. Always was a loser. Too labor intense to make any profit on it.
We have a large warehouse in my area that requires us to downstack and count the cartons! I've gone in there with pro's that have anywhere from 1200-1900 cartons... 2 1/2 hours AT LEAST!!! Then, start my regular route! We have other distribution warehouses that we deliver to as well, but the one I'm speaking of is a real pain! And like you said, Big R, they are EXEMPT from assessorial charges, which is CRAP in my opinion. A couple years ago I started checking the 'Sort & Segregate' box on our PDA's for this account, and was called on the carpet on it within a week. I told them: "if what we are required to do there ISN'T sort and segregate, then tell me what IS!" I can't stand the way we kiss these accounts' ASS all the time. No backbone whatsoever.

I don't know what it's like on the other end, but it's nice freight when we pick it up. Every carrier out their picks it up or is trying to out bid for this freight....

We have a large warehouse in my area that requires us to downstack and count the cartons! I've gone in there with pro's that have anywhere from 1200-1900 cartons... 2 1/2 hours AT LEAST!!! Then, start my regular route! We have other distribution warehouses that we deliver to as well, but the one I'm speaking of is a real pain! And like you said, Big R, they are EXEMPT from assessorial charges, which is CRAP in my opinion. A couple years ago I started checking the 'Sort & Segregate' box on our PDA's for this account, and was called on the carpet on it within a week. I told them: "if what we are required to do there ISN'T sort and segregate, then tell me what IS!" I can't stand the way we kiss these accounts' ASS all the time. No backbone whatsoever.
I remember sometimes, 1 pallet breaking out to 30 skids sorted. But again in 40 years of being around trucking, I blame the company themselves for letting shippers such as these, especially retail dictate who will deliver their freight and in what manner. Let them hire their own people as employees for this.

Sort and segregate can be a profitable assessorial charge if the company does get paid what they should for doing it. Problem is sales and others use it as a negotiating tool when trying to get business, like liftgate for free, no inside delivery charges and so on. If you go to grocery warehouses at all you probably see the "red T shirt" brigade doing it for 8.50 an hour, and the trucking company getting a bill for it from the "unloading service". Cannot use the term lumper since lumping was made illegal by congress years ago.

Used to have a couple of grocery warehouses here with sort and seg. Of course they all want it for nothing but I always check the box for everything I do, residential, inside, ground, sort and seg, etc. I tell them it's my job to check it not my job to argue over who pays for it. With my new attitude it doesn't bother me. I bring a foldable chair and get myself set up to make it as easy on myself as I can (there are tricks to everything). If they're waving the accessorial charges and I work at a pace that won't kill me ABF will make a change, it's not my problem.

I believe that if you have a UE run that hasn't changed since Art.18,Other Services, Premium Service Employee language was changed to Art.3, and you haven't altered the run through a Change of Operations, you get paid the greater of either mileage or hours. We still have one of those runs out of our terminal. Driver makes out good if he's back before 7:00A.M.
I believe you are correct and I wonder how many fall into that category.

I don't know what it's like on the other end, but it's nice freight when we pick it up.
That's exactly what the drivers who pick up the Sky Forts, Treadmills and hardwood flooring say when they're punching out at the end of the day.

That's exactly what the drivers who pick up the Sky Forts, Treadmills and hardwood flooring say when they're punching out at the end of the day.
Had my share of all that you listed, bottom line is my terminal is missing multiple pick ups on a daily basis & nothing is being done about it & that's a problem no matter what kind of freight your picking up....

Had my share of all that you listed, bottom line is my terminal is missing multiple pick ups on a daily basis & nothing is being done about it & that's a problem no matter what kind of freight your picking up....
Maybe your regional sales manager can help you out.

I believe you are correct and I wonder how many fall into that category.
They're gradually bleeding them away. You have a legitimate grievance when some low-level necktie with a clipboard tells you that you MUST stay and wait at the HVXP because some other driver is running late,....or was dispatched late,......and has some freight that goes to your terminal. Because of someone else's screw-up,.....they are costing you money. They would be happier if everyone was paid by the hour.......Then, who cares how long you have to twiddle your thumbs, waiting on freight? They'll put you right to the 14th hour every day, if they could.....

I can say one thing the expense account is not being drained like it was with the other guy. Those seafood meals over banko's are not cheap....
Banko's had to reduce staff when the other guy left.