XPO | Union Debate and News

Thank you. You just made my point for me. Te out and going to bed. Some of us have to move America tonight. Good night brothers and sisters.

Sorry, I missed your answer to the question.

Many get upset when anti-union folks say the union protects the weak and/or lazy, yet you think they should protect the "old schmucks with broken down backs" and the dumb. I don't see how that's so different.

Two of the best workers I ever had the pleasure of working with were in their early 60's (Dale Nelson and Chris Challendar). This isn't an age thing....it's a value to the company thing.

So Joe Namath should still be playing and earning what Tom Brady makes regardless of his value to his team? Joe Namath isn't as valuable to a team as he once was. We ALL reach that point....it's our responsibility to prepare for that day.

So what are you saying? When we are to old to turn a steering wheel, we need to leave? I agree. WE ALL get old and dont move as quick as we used to, so after dedicating 20 years to the company and just a lil bit slower, makes us disposable? So what age does conway expect us to leave?

No Joe Namath could retired when it was his time, I'm quite sure he had a good CONTRACT.
So Joe Namath should still be playing and earning what Tom Brady makes regardless of his value to his team? Joe Namath isn't as valuable to a team as he once was. We ALL reach that point....it's our responsibility to prepare for that day.

Ok not stolen,how about no longer funded to the expectation of an employee who wants to retire and receive the benifits as promised. I'll use a famous qote from the great Merdock,your splitting hairs.
Who is the big bad wolf here ? I have not seen anyone's pension stolen from them. I have seen a fund or two comply with the laws of this government we have. Frozen or reduced maybe but not stolen.

More bs. And to think I just gave you a like for your comment about organizing the fos's. We at UPSF are helping our clerks to organize. They need represetation as well. And they have good access to information, if you know what I mean. Anyway back to your bs. If the steward doesn't like you deal directly with the BA. And as far as a steward owing a favor to the boss, I never asked for one, so I would never have to return it. No brainer. TE out...

Perhaps you are honest and just. But to pretend others are not is foolishness. politics definetly do come into play.

A strong steward present while being questioned by management for issues that could lead to disciplinary action is a wonderful thing. What are you afraid of? If your accusations are founded on truth then there is nothing to fear from a steward. But if you are witch hunting, or discriminating against someone who (you deem) to be less then a desirable employee, or against someones seniority,then that is when a good steward will shred you. Why can't supervision admit they have falsely accused someone, or abused someones seniority for personal gain? "Protects the lazy and stupid"??? Do you realize how condescending that statement was. That offends me and should offend every Teamster reading this sir. We protect everyone who is a member. That's right, even the old schmucks with broken down backs, who have driven 3 million miles during their careers. The ones that Conway would like to work up a case on and send them out to pasture. And yes even the ones who might be a little mentally challenged. Are there a small percentage that are a liability? Of course. There are in every company. But most of us suit up, come to work every day, and give a fair days work for a fair days pay. We understand that the company needs to prosper or it's a no win for everyone involved. TE out...

The idea behind "protects the lazy and stupid" is the FACT that if you aren't lazy and stupid you are doing your job and don't need protected.

There are profits to be shared. How about let's start by reducing the bloated salaries of the brass at the top who have elected to slash and cut the grunts who actually sweat for Conway? How about slapping the wrists of those who chose to adopt predatory pricing in order to crucify YRCW and drive the final nail in the coffin of the NMFA? Was the purchase of CFI really necessary, while reducing pay and benefit packages for the men and women who made Conway what it is today? The loyal soldiers that Conway groomed and were made to feel superior due to there unwavering work ethics. And now mysteriously there are no profits to share? I don't believe that it takes higher education, or the ability to read spread sheets, or financials, or surf commerce web sites, in order to understand that something is desperately wrong with the way that Conway operates in regards to how they treat their people, and how unwilling they are, without outside representation, to share their profits with the people who keep Conway viable. TE out...

YRC did the same thing. Bought a truckload company ( what company haven't they bought ? ) and ran it into the ground. They sold it off a couple months ago. And the card carrying memebers are paying for it. 15% a week and 25% pension for the next 4 years.

Thank you. You just made my point for me. Te out and going to bed. Some of us have to move America tonight. Good night brothers and sisters.

You are pointless. A guy with one of the best jobs for the best company in the industry telling a bunch of driver/dockworkers that are struggling with getting by in the worst of economic times that everything will be ok. I guess it is just a bit easier for you. I can't quite see the rainbow from here. And the union isn't going to bring it any closer.

Or is that your real motivation ? To further destroy our moral. To increase the divide between us and our company ? To further solidify your feelings of dominance. Having it so good and rubbing it our faces ?

WE ALL get old and dont move as quick as we used to, so after dedicating 20 years to the company and just a lil bit slower, makes us disposable? So what age does conway expect us to leave?

Interesting, I don't look at it as I've ever given years of my life to a company. I provided a service to that company and in exchange I was compensated as agreed. They owe me no more than I owe them. I guess that comes down to personal belief systems.

I can't speak for Con-Way. However, I don't care whether you are 25 or 65 if you are capable of perfoming the job you are paid to do.

Oh but you must remember only YRC employees fit this category.
Why is it that YRC is the only one to gain the non's attention ??
Ok not stolen,how about no longer funded to the expectation of an employee who wants to retire and receive the benifits as promised. I'll use a famous qote from the great Merdock,your splitting hairs.

Sure hope WE all can get out on our own terms. Have seen many people hurt on the job and never to return or their health take a turn for the worse.
Going from on top of the world to nothing by just falling over and a bump to the head. Lost everything,house,family,quality of life. Company tied it up in court for years saying it was not a OJI. When justices prevailed he did win sad...
Interesting, I don't look at it as I've ever given years of my life to a company. I provided a service to that company and in exchange I was compensated as agreed. They owe me no more than I owe them. I guess that comes down to personal belief systems.

I can't speak for Con-Way. However, I don't care whether you are 25 or 65 if you are capable of perfoming the job you are paid to do.

You just made the point of those that have been asking for union representation. "I provided a service to that company and in exchange I was compensated as agreed." The men that hired on at Con-Way in 1983 and up to around 2005 were told they would have a pension, health care that was great and pay that was on par with the union's. How would you feel if 2 years into any agreement you had with any company you worked for asked for wage concessions and a drastic change to your retirement. As a member of a Board as you have stated you are, would this be fair?

:2437: By the time Yall get this here Union yall been Jabbering away About for months now I'll be Retired Standing in line outside what used to be the SSI office Begging For Food !!!!

You just made the point of those that have been asking for union representation. "I provided a service to that company and in exchange I was compensated as agreed." The men that hired on at Con-Way in 1983 and up to around 2005 were told they would have a pension, health care that was great and pay that was on par with the union's. How would you feel if 2 years into any agreement you had with any company you worked for asked for wage concessions and a drastic change to your retirement. As a member of a Board as you have stated you are, would this be fair?

"As agreed" are the important terms. As far as how I'd feel about your 2 year in scenario; my ethics and morals tell me a deal is a deal no matter which side of that desk I'm on. I'm not fond of athletes signing multi year deals and then demanding to renegotiate mid contract after a stellar year. At the same time, I don't think they should be cut loose mid contract for underperforming. If either side wants to be able to renegotiate more often they should sign a shorter term contract.

By the way, how long were those contracts for Con-Way employees hired between 1983 and 2005?

Lastly, just because you operate under an union contract doesn't mean that wage concessions and pension reductions won't be made mid-contract.

:2437: By the time Yall get this here Union yall been Jabbering away About for months now I'll be Retired Standing in line outside what used to be the SSI office Begging For Food !!!!

This thing is gonna take forever. 5 years from now some one will post that XPZ is ready to vote.

"as agreed" are the important terms. As far as how i'd feel about your 2 year in scenario; my ethics and morals tell me a deal is a deal no matter which side of that desk i'm on. I'm not fond of athletes signing multi year deals and then demanding to renegotiate mid contract after a stellar year. At the same time, i don't think they should be cut loose mid contract for underperforming. If either side wants to be able to renegotiate more often they should sign a shorter term contract.

By the way, how long were those contracts for con-way employees hired between 1983 and 2005?

Lastly, just because you operate under an union contract doesn't mean that wage concessions and pension reductions won't be made mid-contract.
only if voted on,which still is under your agreement,control

good things come to those who wait,EVERYONE was threatened that we would close if they went union,takes a little while to get everybody to know their rights to organize

good things come to those who wait,EVERYONE was threatened that we would close if they went union,takes a little while to get everybody to know their rights to organize
Cracks me up how these non-union pushers are getting impatient on the organizing movement. Sounds like their pretty eager for some change. Here it is, UPS (overnight) took approximately over a year and a half. The cards are being signed with knowledge of the law. A lot of DSRs are clueless of their rights. Guess what? The deadline for the union posters, being hung in every break room at each SC, is the middle of November. It will describe every right you have to bargain for a contract with your employer. Law requires it to be visible for you and me. ENJOY

I sure hope it does'nt take to long,the way Conway is putting freight on sub service these days their might not be any of us left to vote.Knoxville took 20 day run drivers and put them on nites,they are now running subservice vans straight to Hagerstown instead of a meet and turn in Roanoke. I remember the very first sub vans,we were told they would only be used for heavy volumes at the end of the month and at the end of the quarter. Thats why I will never understand Merdock and Beer Boy's way of thinking. Merdock calls it the Chicken Little syndrome,Boy's I dont get it the writing is on the wall open your eyes and read it.