TForce | Union letter from Richmond

I will admit we are not the perfect companyin the business but there are far worse.As for your reasons we need a union i disagree. Reconizing seniority sometimes does seem to be a problem ill be the first to admit that. As for favoritism i hope you dont think going union will stop all that there is more favoritism and cronyism in a union (everybody taking care of there buddies ive seen it done). As for the rules yeah sure in a union its all written out as to how its supposed to be done but it always seems to be an as per instance as to how those rules are interpreted and who the person is depends on how they enforce those rules. As for delay pay yeah it can be better but getting it after 1 hour is better than nothing.The insurance i get it at a lower cost than i did with overnite and its a better insurance. The overtime after 8 i think it will come in time i may be wrong but who knows. Im done my rant for now.

We need the rules to be the same for everyone. Not for rules to be changed at any service center at any time the TM wants.

I have been with this company 23 years. Seniority means nothing.

Insurance depends on what selection the employee has selected. I kept the same family plan I had with "O" and it now costs me $320.00 per month. And I still have to take money out of my pocket everytime my family uses the insurance.

Delay pay, I can live with the giving one hour first. I can't live with the $12.00 per hour after the first. Sit a half of day and make $36.00 This is a slap in the face.

Overtime, What another year or so before we get overtime after 40? We will never see overtime after 8 with out a contract.

Contract Carriers doing the work. As of now there is no limit as to how many carriers the company wants to use while line men sit home.

Many of these issues could have been addressed and repaired. But, why should they. UPS is saving millions.:smilie_132:

So your saying white paper contracts are no good webidiot?

Is it good for your barn in Reno, isn't your contract white paper?

A contracts only as good as its wording,so who cares what kind of paper its printed on?

Gee wiz webidiot sometimes I can't tell what your trying to say?

Your a real funny guy,but seeing your one of my UPS Freight co-workers I wish you all the best.
Keep up the good work,your a credit to our company.

That was a good one, AP.

If UPS wanted us to stay non union they would have given us better medical benefits at a MUCH lower cost than we have now. They would also respect seniority. Pay delay time, Overtime after eight, Same rules for everyone, No favortisim, Ect. Ect. What did we get? RULES thats it. I have been non union for 29 years in trucking. After alot of investigating the facts, And after seeing this operation run on a daily basis since UPS bought us I am convinced that working for UPS, We need a union.:1036316054:

Every brownie in the world has told me the same as you, "I would never work for this company without a union". Well it seems to me we are all singing a different tune, do you see the same BUSTER?

And I am not being fecesious either.

Hey everybody I got my letter in the mail today.
Now I feel I'm not being left out of the UPS Freight family.
After reading every letter of every word,I can see that this whole organizing effort is just what I thought after going to my first local union informational meeting.
J.Hoffa Jr. and the CEO of UPS has made some kind of deal to lead us around the bend.
In other words we are just going around in circles,with the promise of this on going contract barganing talks.

These two have made it so we can't become unionized untill UPS is good and ready to let it happen.

When we were Overnite we could of gone into the NMFA,but now that we are UPS Freight,we are in a state of limbo between freight,and parcel,a knid of truckings no-mans land.
We can't have a part in the parcel,or the NMFA.
Oh well thats life caught between a rock,and a hard place.

So I guess the only thing we can do is hang in there,do our best,and don't worry about the rest!

I will admit we are not the perfect companyin the business but there are far worse.As for your reasons we need a union i disagree. Reconizing seniority sometimes does seem to be a problem ill be the first to admit that. As for favoritism i hope you dont think going union will stop all that there is more favoritism and cronyism in a union (everybody taking care of there buddies ive seen it done). As for the rules yeah sure in a union its all written out as to how its supposed to be done but it always seems to be an as per instance as to how those rules are interpreted and who the person is depends on how they enforce those rules. As for delay pay yeah it can be better but getting it after 1 hour is better than nothing.The insurance i get it at a lower cost than i did with overnite and its a better insurance. The overtime after 8 i think it will come in time i may be wrong but who knows. Im done my rant for now.

I think you are waiting for pigs to fly.

Why should I subside to what a manager thinks my seniority should be when the company we both work for puts these rules for seniority in black and white. He should be obliged to follow them.

People go to work to get paid for what they do, if I have to give my time to a company on a volunteer basis , I would go work for the RED CROSS.

Favoritism, well here is a good subject, why should I give what I have earned to someone else because he or she keeps the TM'S feet warm under the TM'S desk, amongst other things.

I of all people, and I am sure you can find more on these boards, want to get paid for what we do, know what is expected of us, and first and foremost, get what I have worked for, seniority being at the top of the list.

It was said we will get OT after 40, not after 8, and this will happen in 2009.

I am not going to pray and hope for change, I will be a part of the acting group of people pushing for that change.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but unfortunatly UPS changes things at a whim without notice and what do we do if we loose, we are at thier mercy now!!!!!.

First off, it is your legal right to seek representation from any union. By signing a union card you are seeking information and representation. The agreement by UPS/IBT in regards to the card check, is a mutual agreement between these two parties. However it does not mean the card check is over. Our terminal as well as many others have signed off on the cards months ago. The cards that have been signed are being held in respect to the mutual agreement between the IBT/UPS. Remember the union of one slogan? Well by waiting for a contract out of INDY, we are acknowledging a process that has been agreed upon by all parties and respected through the due process system. Are there possibly locals that are getting restless or even more outrageous, misleading UPSF employees by half truths? Possibly. Is the Company being forthright in explaining the card check process. Not really. Both sides possibly have guilty parties. But things are going along very well in negotiations according to news sources, IBT Reuters, Wall Street etc. Please stand strong and more importantly be patient. This is a very complicated piece of IBT/UPS history. Both sides want to get it right. No one here wants a black eye. Believe me, I wanted to see a contract a few months ago. But I also realize that this is my future that is being negotiated. Jumping up and down, whinning, and doing anything that would put me in hot water with the Company is not productive or healthy. Act as a professional, practice patience, and don't listen to closely to the rumors and accusations. This contract could happen soon or could fall in line with everyone else for April 2008. God only knows. But at least they are talking, and thats what counts.

Gater, Can you scan/post the copy of this letter. curius bout the apwa.
Rule#10 NO posting of any internal memos, no posting any trade secrets pertaining to any company and NO posting copyrighted material, copying and pasting complete articles from other websites is NOT allowed, post a paragraph and the link to the source

If you guys want to PM this letter that is fine.

First off, it is your legal right to seek representation from any union. By signing a union card you are seeking information and representation. The agreement by UPS/IBT in regards to the card check, is a mutual agreement between these two parties. However it does not mean the card check is over. Our terminal as well as many others have signed off on the cards months ago. The cards that have been signed are being held in respect to the mutual agreement between the IBT/UPS. Remember the union of one slogan? Well by waiting for a contract out of INDY, we are acknowledging a process that has been agreed upon by all parties and respected through the due process system. Are there possibly locals that are getting restless or even more outrageous, misleading UPSF employees by half truths? Possibly. Is the Company being forthright in explaining the card check process. Not really. Both sides possibly have guilty parties. But things are going along very well in negotiations according to news sources, IBT Reuters, Wall Street etc. Please stand strong and more importantly be patient. This is a very complicated piece of IBT/UPS history. Both sides want to get it right. No one here wants a black eye. Believe me, I wanted to see a contract a few months ago. But I also realize that this is my future that is being negotiated. Jumping up and down, whinning, and doing anything that would put me in hot water with the Company is not productive or healthy. Act as a professional, practice patience, and don't listen to closely to the rumors and accusations. This contract could happen soon or could fall in line with everyone else for April 2008. God only knows. But at least they are talking, and thats what counts.

Bravo. I have been around this web site for a while. And I have read a lot of junk, as well as a lot of brilliant, articulate postings. But I must say this here was superb. Everyone should read this and study it. Because that was to the point and rock solid in regards to prudent advice. That posting calmed me down,and I wasn't even excited. In all reality hugnlug that was great advice. The key words "practice patience" it is all going to work out,we will all be happy,good things come to those who wait! That posting shows great leadership quality. Not looking for a hallmark moment. Just calling em the way I see em! I'll take that 10 dollar payment now. Cash or money order will be fine....

Without trying to sound to uninformed, can someone please tell me what is meant by the term "White Paper Contract"?

white paper=sweetheart deal...usually in the company's favor.......as in "if we don't get a break in this contract, we'll close the doors"

If UPS wanted us to stay non union they would have given us better medical benefits at a MUCH lower cost than we have now. They would also respect seniority. Pay delay time, Overtime after eight, Same rules for everyone, No favortisim, Ect. Ect. What did we get? RULES thats it. I have been non union for 29 years in trucking. After alot of investigating the facts, And after seeing this operation run on a daily basis since UPS bought us I am convinced that working for UPS, We need a union.:1036316054:

Well said!
Really, what the hell is going on In Richmond or Atlanta.
Do you realize how many people were happy to stay non union whan the buy out went down, alot. We expected UPS to make our pay and benefits at least on par with the union carriers. We have know for years that OVNT mgt. wanted to string us along with BS like we can't give out what you have not earned etc..
Being a city driver I know first hand that seniority is not being followed and it's damn frustrating.
Another pet peave, what is going on with rebranding??? Nobody knows anything. Mgt and fleet services claim they don't know what is going on. Can anybody at this company be up front and honest about anything?
My TM steadfast denies he gets any kind of bonus at all which everyone knows is a fat lie. I just want a little honesty from Mgt.
Maybe I want too much.
Incedently if ya really want the customers to stop calling us overnite take the name off of the trailers!!!!!!!!
The rules, the endless rules nice to see they are being followed system wide...not, typical overnite BS. The rules should be the same at every serice center and they should be enforced.
Since I am ranting and raving what is up with SSD guys driving branded equipment with no uniforms?
How many branded tractors and trailers have ya seen with black wheels with out the silver trim. I've seen alot, sad.
I guess I am so frustrated with this company because I love working here, even with all the BS. I just wish someone would get there head out of their backside.

Without trying to sound to uninformed, can someone please tell me what is meant by the term "White Paper Contract"?

A white paper contract is actually a contract built from scratch, the referrance to white paper means the paper is blank before we start wrighting on it....

(Honesty) singlescrew?
I don't think thats one of the words thats found anywhere in UPS Freights dictionary?

Heres another word that would be nice to see used(TRUST) this is a word that has to be earned.
So how can you trust someone who isn't up front,and honest with you?

Now that I've started this english lesson heres a word I've been learning on this UPS Freight forum.(PATIENCE)
My co-workers have been teaching me this word for sometime now.
I think I'll be a lot better off now that its finally sinking in.

YO SKEETER,TIME WILL TELL!!!

one thing you have to understand on indy, nationwide card check and neutrality has to be in the contract at indy . that is so critical. ups don't want the legal problems overnite had so the best and quiet way is a card check. you have elections at our barns like we had before, same thing could happen that happen before, and i don't think anyone is up for that again. as for the apwa, i think they are union busters, what i can't figure out is this danny dude has 35 years with ups, 35 years! he has a hell of a pension check coming, go fishing, spend some time with his family, i mean something isn't right there.
Well just think about it,, He and Mike M from Richmond are best buddys,,do you understand now???

Well said!
Really, what the hell is going on In Richmond or Atlanta.
Do you realize how many people were happy to stay non union whan the buy out went down, alot. We expected UPS to make our pay and benefits at least on par with the union carriers. We have know for years that OVNT mgt. wanted to string us along with BS like we can't give out what you have not earned etc..
Being a city driver I know first hand that seniority is not being followed and it's damn frustrating.
Another pet peave, what is going on with rebranding??? Nobody knows anything. Mgt and fleet services claim they don't know what is going on. Can anybody at this company be up front and honest about anything?
My TM steadfast denies he gets any kind of bonus at all which everyone knows is a fat lie. I just want a little honesty from Mgt.
Maybe I want too much.
Incedently if ya really want the customers to stop calling us overnite take the name off of the trailers!!!!!!!!
The rules, the endless rules nice to see they are being followed system wide...not, typical overnite BS. The rules should be the same at every serice center and they should be enforced.
Since I am ranting and raving what is up with SSD guys driving branded equipment with no uniforms?
How many branded tractors and trailers have ya seen with black wheels with out the silver trim. I've seen alot, sad.
I guess I am so frustrated with this company because I love working here, even with all the BS. I just wish someone would get there head out of their backside.

SingleScrew,
Hearing your words was like my anthem there. I couldn't take it there anymore, after 4 1/2 years in February, I had to bail. I would do it 100 times over again. Overnite was pretty tolerable to work for, but "brown" is like working under a dictatorship. Almost like the childsplay of "Ding Dong School" do it our way or the highway. I've seen a lot of good people leave with more time than me. I was out of South Holland, IL. and it was like no place in the system.

I always asked the question of why a road driver had to give up his first hour of time (No Pay)if the freight wasn't ready on a schedule bid. I know dock and city never gave up anything being hourly. Until the day I left, I still never got the answer to that question.

I think after hundreds of hours later of freeBees and safety cone use now and rule after rule shoved down your throat with a rule book done in pencil and the lies over there it was time to go. I'm still hoping the remaining people who work there get some representation soon. I was in the middle of the board. A lot of guys are hanging in there for the 20+ years they have there. I couldn't imagine putting 20+ years at UPSF they way it runs now.

I was always a supporter of the union. My TM overheard me one day about union talk and he told me "if I want the union, go to work for a union company" That's what I did, only for now it back fired and I'm still looking, but I still have no regrets of leaving and would do it again. I would still like to see it go union even though I'm not there anymore.
Keep fighting the good fight!:Duel:

Yup I'm not a road driver,but I could never understand why the linehaul driver reports to work for their shift.
Getting the loads closed out that they need for their set is totally out of their controll.
But they don't get paid for waiting it out?
Now I know thats not a fair deal,a big company like UPS should do whats right by all of their dedicated linehaul drivers.
YA THINK?

At least Overnite tried the next day to get you out on time, but UPSF, forget about it! They take full advantage of blowing a schedule and then blame it on mechanical failure. Flat tires, light problems, dock etc. and the driver continues his "volunteer work" of having to be there with no pay. I've also been told in the past, that road drivers are over paid as it is. That's the morale boost you get in SOH, IL.:nutkick:

seminole wind, I am glad you made a comment after several months of not posting. I for one want to hear as many people with their diverse opinions as possible.
Please don't let a few knuckle heads stop you. I put my foot in my mouth sometimes. But we are all human.
I wish things was working out for us to stay nonunion also.
But I believe UPS could of nipped it in the bud if they would of made the right changes in the beginning.
Especially with Motor Cargo. But to our surprise their didn't.
Like the delay pay and sick leave and on and on. I know I'm a long term employee to but this is not Overnite any longer.

I'm finding out that what most of the feeder drivers I run with are right about what they say about UPS. You need a union working here.

Time will tell.

Skeeter, what do you mean by this?

At least Overnite tried the next day to get you out on time, but UPSF, forget about it! They take full advantage of blowing a schedule and then blame it on mechanical failure. Flat tires, light problems, dock etc. and the driver continues his "volunteer work" of having to be there with no pay. I've also been told in the past, that road drivers are over paid as it is. That's the morale boost you get in SOH, IL.:nutkick:

The funny thing is I was told that one of the reasons UPS bought us was the overwhelming employee morale. Overnite employee's were proud to be Overnite employee's. It took UPS less than 2 months to completely reverse employee morale from good to bad.

Anyone who has been on these boards for any length of time knows that I was at one time staunchly against becoming union...but unfortunately that is no longer the case.