FedEx Freight | Union makes many promises that they may not be able to keep

From what he told me the Union petitioned the Federal Govt. to cut existing pensions. At the time he recieved his letter it was to notify him that the petition had been granted and the process of making the cuts had begun. He unfortunately passed in Oct of last year. He worked of many union companies. North Penn, St Johnsbury to name a few and ended with Red Star and retired before they went out. 32 total yrs

Let me be clear that I'm not calling you a liar. But I believe that you have been misinformed. I know of no union or pension fund that has ever been given an exemption from the federal ERISA law allowing it to cut a retiree's pension. His having worker for North Penn, St Johnsbury and Red Star leads me to assume he worked up in the northeastern US which probably doesn't fall under the highly publicized and much aligned CSPF. But even if it were to be the case I say again no Teamster pension fund has ever missed a monthly retiree check let alone defaulted. And no Federal exemptions have been given to cut retiree pensions................

Now if you happen to be referring to an existing pension fund that is under a rehabilitation plan then adjustable benefits may have been eliminated by the individual plan's administrator. Such as future lump sum payoffs or and adjustable high low option. But no federal exemptions could even be given without congress rewriting the ERISA.

And just FYI USF paid Red Star's pension withdrawal liabilities so to that extent your father in law was whole and not a pension orphan in that regard. Also individual unions don't have any control over Teamster MEPFs. They are controlled by an equal number of trustee's from the unions and the participating companies and an independent fund administrator. So I strongly doubt that your claim that the union had cut his pension has any factual basis.

I tell you back in 2004 YRC was using contractors while drivers sat at home. The drivers complained and the Union did nothing. UPS uses contractors all the time.
I notice that people keep mentioning the lack of mention of UPSF. To my knowledge, from UPSF guys I've spoken to at Customs, they're not really all that thrilled with their IBT representation. They file grievances that get summarily ignored or thrown out. One guy who ran into a pole because he was texting grieved the loss of his job and got it back, but that's all I've heard.

It's no secret that UPS has been pushing back the union. I believe UPSF has contractors who run truckload for them. I've seen one a week the last month up here in Toronto heading for Detroit. And a good look at their contractor application suggests that having a doubles cert would be good.

From what he told me the Union petitioned the Federal Govt. to cut existing pensions. At the time he recieved his letter it was to notify him that the petition had been granted and the process of making the cuts had begun. He unfortunately passed in Oct of last year. He worked of many union companies. North Penn, St Johnsbury to name a few and ended with Red Star and retired before they went out. 32 total yrs

Could you tell me which local he worked in? Or if more than one, as many as you know of him working in? I'm taking it that he received only 1 pension check each month, is that correct? I'd like to research your claim, thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me be clear that I'm not calling you a liar. But I believe that you have been misinformed. I know of no union or pension fund that has ever been given an exemption from the federal ERISA law allowing it to cut a retiree's pension. His having worker for North Penn, St Johnsbury and Red Star leads me to assume he worked up in the northeastern US which probably doesn't fall under the highly publicized and much aligned CSPF. But even if it were to be the case I say again no Teamster pension fund has ever missed a monthly retiree check let alone defaulted. And no Federal exemptions have been given to cut retiree pensions................

Now if you happen to be referring to an existing pension fund that is under a rehabilitation plan then adjustable benefits may have been eliminated by the individual plan's administrator. Such as future lump sum payoffs or and adjustable high low option. But no federal exemptions could even be given without congress rewriting the ERISA.

And just FYI USF paid Red Star's pension withdrawal liabilities so to that extent your father in law was whole and not a pension orphan in that regard. Also individual unions don't have any control over Teamster MEPFs. They are controlled by an equal number of trustee's from the unions and the participating companies and an independent fund administrator. So I strongly doubt that your claim that the union had cut his pension has any factual basis.
There was a move last year in Congress that they would slash central states pension fund when the govt. had to take it over. You can do some research on that as I dont have exact details.

There was a move last year in Congress that they would slash central states pension fund when the govt. had to take it over. You can do some research on that as I dont have exact details.

This isn't CSPF that the poster is referring to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are mixing apples and oranges here.. There is already a safety net in place if a pension fund should default. That is the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation and it is not controlled by the government. But not Teamster MEPF has ever defaulted.

And you do have your information wrong . Yes there is a privately funded lobbying effort going on in congress to change the anti cutback rule under ERISA that would allow any pension fund administrator, not just Central States Pension Funds, to have the arbitrary power to take benefits away from those already retired. And If that law were to be change, which I strongly doubt will happen, then at some point a pension fund administrator could decide to cut even retired FedEx retiree's pensions.

Treatment/Compensation/Security. Only the compensation part would cost them anything. They'll still be quite profitable. FexEx MISMANAGES their managers, failing to keep people 1st. YRC mismanaged their finances.

Got it............YRC employees are treated fair, have the best compensation, and are secure. They just cannot manage money.

Got it............YRC employees are treated fair, have the best compensation, and are secure. They just cannot manage money.

No, Those employees you speak of work at UPSFreight. As for YRC, debt is killing or almost killed them. Debt from ill-conceived mergers. The were also slow to speed up transit times, costing market share. All management decisions or lack thereof.

Not sure why, but I have a feeling you know these things...

No, Those employees you speak of work at UPSFreight. As for YRC, debt is killing or almost killed them. Debt from ill-conceived mergers. The were also slow to speed up transit times, costing market share. All management decisions or lack thereof.

Not sure why, but I have a feeling you know these things...

When all the mergers took place YRC just went out and bought those companies? Did the management have to meet with the Union first?

This thread is about union promises but what about Fred's promises. Hopefully the union will negotiate a contract favorable to both the employees and the company. But without a union contract all the company will do is to make promises that it may or may not keep depending upon the particular circumstances at any given time. Like for instance the broken promises Fred made to the FedEx pilots.

I know there hasn't been any negoiations. But if the Union was so great why are there only 3 Union carriers left? You do what you want but the Union will always put the Union first not the members and thats a fact again ask ABF and YRC drivers.

If it's so terrible being in the union, why do we stay? A looooong time.
Because the union got me and you everything we got.
The company just gave inreases to you because of our presence. Not out of the kindness of their heart. And thats why ya made ANYTHING you ever made driving a truck. Thats why you have any healthcare and any paid days off or vacations. If we were gone they'd take it all.imo.

This was regulated and mostlly all union carriers. Deregulation and the dominance of nonunion carriers is why theres few left.
It's my belief that you'd work for minimum wage if all union ltl's were gone. And if all unions were gone there'd be no minimum wage because our lobby makes sure there is one.

I'm not most knowledgeable about pensions /finance, but it is my understanding that no investments are totally gaurenteed and some people lose all in the stock market. Arent most retirements invested in stocks?
Rich capitalists really like stability and some control.
Working people should want the same.
They like contracts for stability.
So too should you.

Why is it everytime someone disagrees with the union they are a Red Shirt or a fraud. Maybe he is just a hard worker that doesn't want a union around to help support the lazy.

I've worked both union and non. Sometimes nonunion management helps support lazy employees too.
Favorites.

Lazy management is what REALLY doesnt want a union around.
My company's union and we have hardly anybody who i would think lazy at my terminal. We have some guys who are more pushy than nonunion management who dont hesitate to frown upon slowness or breaking stuff or whining too much. They dont even hesotate to tell the boss how the jobs done. I never worked at a company where many many places i go the customers actuallytell me that we are the best and if they had a choice theyd use us more but people above them wont let them.
One guy even did get rid of all other ltls when he was new for a couple months till his boss almost fired him.