TForce | Union Meeting in CGO

They liked what they heard, so what's the problem?

I'm in two Teamster 401ks and neither employer (RedStar or UPS) ever matched my contributions or a percentage thereof

So, I guess I'm supposed to shut up and just take it. I don't think so, and just because you did not have the company match we do. And it is my opinion that it was a fantastic barginning chip cast away by Indy because as far as I am told not one of them was deep into the 401K investments and they did not understand the valuable leverage that they just frittered away. I have never met a 710 teamster that had to pay for his insurance through payroll deductions. It just amazes me that our fellow Big Brothers from the parcel division are so willing to ask us to lay down and take (in my opinion) a lousy contract especially for the road drivers, something that they themselves know they would not accept. I am going to loose $28,000.00 over the next ten years without the company match. At least I ask, make me feel better by not having to pay for my insurance and union dues. Indy gave away too much and we did not get enough in return. And to add insult to injury. they locked us into a five year deal. There are no guaranties on contract freight, or protections for road drivers. The road drivers ( in my opinion) were forgotten in this contract, and we will eat our lunch on this contract until it can come up for renewal. UPS Management is laughing all the way to the bank on this one, that is why they will not negotiate anything else. They are saving on the 401K match and we have to continue paying for health insurance. Do you pay for your own health insurance Teamster 251?

So, I guess I'm supposed to shut up and just take it. I don't think so, and just because you did not have the company match we do. And it is my opinion that it was a fantastic barginning chip cast away by Indy because as far as I am told not one of them was deep into the 401K investments and they did not understand the valuable leverage that they just frittered away. I have never met a 710 teamster that had to pay for his insurance through payroll deductions. It just amazes me that our fellow Big Brothers from the parcel division are so willing to ask us to lay down and take (in my opinion) a lousy contract especially for the road drivers, something that they themselves know they would not accept. I am going to loose $28,000.00 over the next ten years without the company match. At least I ask, make me feel better by not having to pay for my insurance and union dues. Indy gave away too much and we did not get enough in return. And to add insult to injury. they locked us into a five year deal. There are no guaranties on contract freight, or protections for road drivers. The road drivers ( in my opinion) were forgotten in this contract, and we will eat our lunch on this contract until it can come up for renewal. UPS Management is laughing all the way to the bank on this one, that is why they will not negotiate anything else. They are saving on the 401K match and we have to continue paying for health insurance. Do you pay for your own health insurance Teamster 251?

I am with you on this, but being non union do we have a choice if they decide to take it anyway. Not to say it will be taken away. Atleast we are having a pention.

I am with you on this, but being non union do we have a choice if they decide to take it anyway. Not to say it will be taken away. Atleast we are having a pention.

Usually, when a company has been offering a pension to it's employees, and then they start a 401k match benefit, they are preparing to freeze the pension program. You all can read between the lines. Elvis out....

Every company I have worked for has offered both a pension and a 401k with a match. that is why I chose to work for them.

Do we have a choice? It was negoitiated out, It was a benefit we lost.

On a 40 hour week the match equals out to $.77 an hour loss.

Nightwalker is right There is nothing in the contract to stop the company from using independants/contractors, the contract actually gives UPS the ok to cut more jobs on the road.

Every company I have worked for has offered both a pension and a 401k with a match. that is why I chose to work for them.

Nightwalker is right There is nothing in the contract to stop the company from using independants/contractors, the contract actually gives UPS the ok to cut more jobs on the road.

If you put in money towards the 401k. Many do not. There is no more pension for the new hires at UPS Freight. So that has been taken away already. Only union employees will have a pension.

But they get a "PAF" with a guarantee on the intrest.

How much is that worth ? I would rather have a defined benefit, than a market driven one. What interest rate do they guarantee ? Would you trade your pension for it ?

UPS deposits a certian amount into your account and it gains a predetermined amount of intrest the longer you stay with the company the intrest compounds. I don't know the details but It sounds like a nice plan.

UPS deposits a certian amount into your account and it gains a predetermined amount of intrest the longer you stay with the company the intrest compounds. I don't know the details but It sounds like a nice plan.

O.K. when we know the details then lets see how it is. I know one thing for sure, it is cheaper to do away with the pension, otherwise they wouldn't have.

DOyou want to elaborate on that?

Your 401k is invested in whatever you deceide, The stock market is not down, Some stocks are down some are up.

Sure, the stock market has lost some 3000 points. My 401k is in a bright horizon plan it has lost about 8.6% of its value in the last 2 months. I don't think citi street sells stocks individualy ?

I agree with you 100% on this contractor issue. Elvis out....

Yes I know, the sky is falling, Please if you think by not joining the union things will get better is nothing more then waiting for the silver platter everyone was waiting for in the begiinning of this drive.

Yes the economy is shyte, and it will be for some time to come, it's time to weather the change, but to say a voice in the matter is nothing but a cliche at best you are dead wrong, this is nothing more then LAME DUCK politics, People have been giving in to this practice for the past 8 years , I realize you have a situation and for that I am sorry, but waiting for handout's is not the awnser iether. Did they all say at the end of the meeting THANK YOU MASTER?

Its about time we all get together and tell the GOV. and the company alike that this is what we want, not settle for the handouts within fairness . When the company gives you a contract and you do not like it VOTE IT DOWN send them back to the drawing board, we work for the biggest transportation company in the world and now the Teamsters is going to tell you, a dues paying member, this is what you are going to get, please , save the drama for someone who wants to swallow it. we have a voice now, USE IT. The first time around it may not be the best, for that I am in agreement, but if they can affors to give it too small package and if the can afford to give it too our new airfreight company, Whay the hell should we settle for less when UPS says we are making record #'s, the best #'s this company has ever seen.

I believe the teamsters will try to sell the rest of us this bill of goods. You are right we all can band together and not accept the poop that Indy accepted. They said we all have to sign the cards before they can work on a contract. Well, We did so let's see what they come up with. If it is the same as Indy's I will vote no. But I'm sure there are a few that will vote yes no matter what it is.
The ball is in our court. Let's not make the same mistake Indy did.:1036316054:

TIME IS ON OUR SIDE!

I believe the teamsters will try to sell the rest of us this bill of goods. You are right we all can band together and not accept the poop that Indy accepted. They said we all have to sign the cards before they can work on a contract. Well, We did so let's see what they come up with. If it is the same as Indy's I will vote no. But I'm sure there are a few that will vote yes no matter what it is.
The ball is in our court. Let's not make the same mistake Indy did.:1036316054:

TIME IS ON OUR SIDE!

Skeeter, Busternite said it best in a post. If the offer sucks vote no! If 50% +1 agree, then the union will have to go back and get more to get the 50%+1, or they will collect no dues. We do have them in a pickle. Bad deal, no dues. One would just have to hope that the vote doesn't go even 51% of Indy. Some will settle and be happy. It is the ugliness of mob rule( democracy).

I have a question regarding the pension program under a union contract. If you are not vested yet, (I think you must be employed for 5 years to be vested) will the pension plan apply to those who are not vested at the time of contract ratification? Or are you frozen out if you have less than 5 years? Elvis out and confused on this issue....

The contract is not bad for hourly employees, there the majority if they like it, will pass.

If you put in money towards the 401k. Many do not. There is no more pension for the new hires at UPS Freight. So that has been taken away already. Only union employees will have a pension.

Your wrong non-union employees still get a pension.

The contract is not bad for hourly employees, there the majority if they like it, will pass.

Your wrong non-union employees still get a pension.

You just keep on insinuating that the road drivers don't benefit with this contract. I keep correcting you, but you will not listen. Why? Where else will a linedriver be payed 66 cents per mile in July of 2013 other than UPSF? Please answer if you can? Elvis out...