FedEx Freight | Union Myths Debunked

the union doesn't try to organize a company until 30% have signed a card expressing their interest in being represented I believe. You staunch non union guys act like it makes the union evil to want to represent Fed Ex. Have you ever heard of a win-win situation ?

the union doesn't try to organize a company until 30% have signed a card expressing their interest in being represented I believe. You staunch non union guys act like it makes the union evil to want to represent Fed Ex. Have you ever heard of a win-win situation ?
They don't petition for a vote until 30% have signed a card, they can try to organize with zero interested. I'm not a staunch non union guy. Just a little bit ago i wrote my check for my quarterly union dues, I'm a union member. I'm just trying to even out the union will fix all crap. Who says it will be a win-win?

The union is prohibited from using dues for political purposes.
Any money spent on lobbying must be from donations made to a separate fund.
Freddy does not have those same constraints.

The Teamster political fund used to be called DRIVE. Maybe it still is, I've been retired for over five years. Got a free hat and donated a dollar a week for years. Figured if I'm in the Teamsters Union, I might as well support them.

I'm honestly not arguing that point, but in what way are they not following seniority. When i worked there they followed it pretty good and when the didn't people called Harrison and it most generally got fixed.

Maybe so but from what I hear on this board and on the road FedEx is as bad as UPSF about using contract carriers and letting their drivers starve...

Maybe so but from what I hear on this board and on the road FedEx is as bad as UPSF about using contract carriers and letting their drivers starve...
One of my buddies that still works there said there sure is a lot of purchase transports there every day. But I'm not sure the union can stop it. That is part of the negotiation process and the Teamsters can't tell the company how to do business. When both parties set down to negotiate both will have their priorities to try to get trough and neither side will get all they want. And judging by your contract thread you guys are really going to have to bargain.

They don't petition for a vote until 30% have signed a card, they can try to organize with zero interested. I'm not a staunch non union guy. Just a little bit ago i wrote my check for my quarterly union dues, I'm a union member. I'm just trying to even out the union will fix all crap. Who says it will be a win-win?

LEGAL minimum is 30% but no local so far in this effort has been willing to petition with less than 60-65% SIGNED. Some Locals, I'm hearing are requiring closer to 70%.

LEGAL minimum is 30% but no local so far in this effort has been willing to petition with less than 60-65% SIGNED. Some Locals, I'm hearing are requiring closer to 70%.
That very well maybe but the union can try to organize with zero interested, it might be a difference without distinction but it is fact.

I worked in the city not on the road and I saw very little abuse of seniority personally I'm not saying it didn't happen. And when your union they will still do it, you can file a grievance and they will do it again tomorrow it will not fix it. When you came in with 5 hours driving time available had you already completed your assigned bid? If so sending out another driver with more time available would make sense to me. I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing about this as I'm not very experienced with it. But I am experienced with the union and they will not stop a lot of this. I'm also experienced with truck drivers and I know you will never be happy, I can tell you I've stood at driver check in or in a preshift and heard "when did we start doing that" and knowing full well its always been that way. I know Fedex has a habit of changing the rules on a whim and I always hated that and the union would help with that amnd i see that as a positive. But a month after the contract is ratified you will be on here and in the break room complaining just like before.

The key words here are road driver (linehaul) and dock/driver (local).
The other key word is hub kickout (line work)

You can bet your ass the union would fight over that.

Also, the work rules say nothing about having completed your bid.
Extra work goes to the most senior driver available with the hours to do it without conflicting with that driver's gate time.

Would it make a difference if I told you the line drivers all had over 15 years line seniority and the dock guys have less than three years with the company, and oh yeah, they are classified as local.

1) Teamsters "Go After" companies and targeted FedEx for unionization.

False. Employees seek out and Ask the Teamsters to represent them. Only when significant interest exists, do they accept the request.

Ya right! Look at all the burger flippers protesting lately. They didn't go to the union. The union went to them!

2) The unions just want your money.

They do want your money, BUT they provide a valuable service in exchange for a nominal fee. Not unlike FedEx wants their customers' money in exchange for a service.

Another pathetic lie. They want only your money. Again look to the burger flippers protesting. The unions know a raise in minimum wage to $15 would result in thousands of layoffs. But that's ok with them because the remaining workers would be paying union dues, and that's all they care about.

The key words here are road driver (linehaul) and dock/driver (local).
The other key word is hub kickout (line work)

You can bet your ass the union would fight over that.

Also, the work rules say nothing about having completed your bid.
Extra work goes to the most senior driver available with the hours to do it without conflicting with that driver's gate time.

Would it make a difference if I told you the line drivers all had over 15 years line seniority and the dock guys have less than three years with the company, and oh yeah, they are classified as local.

Well the way I see it if the dock/driver was a bid position put in place for that purpose, and yes we had them at my barn. Then that should have been fought at the time of the bid. If the union comes in and allows the same type of position then the union might not fight it It would depend on the contract. I don't have access to the work rules but when I did I heard a lot of people like you quote them to me and when I went to look I could find no such thing so I'm not sure, so I can't effectively argue. As far as seniority whats the difference between a driver with 15 years vs 3 years or a driver with 15 years vs one with 14 years 364 days, nothing. And I won't bet my ass on nothing with the union I've seen to much to count on them for any thing, I understand you used to be union but a lot has changed sense you were in.

Ya right! Look at all the burger flippers protesting lately. They didn't go to the union. The union went to them!

You know for a FACT, that NO ONE went to the union, prior to this? Also, I wasn't aware that these "protesters" had signed cards and were seeking, or had secured representation.
Another pathetic lie. They want only your money. Again look to the burger flippers protesting. The unions know a raise in minimum wage to $15 would result in thousands of layoffs. But that's ok with them because the remaining workers would be paying union dues, and that's all they care about.
You are deflecting the discussion into another topic, raising the minimum wage... Few (if any) minimum wage jobs are union.

While your statements "sound" reasonable, on the surface, they have no basis in fact.

You know for a FACT, that NO ONE went to the union, prior to this? Also, I wasn't aware that these "protesters" had signed cards and were seeking, or had secured representation.
You are deflecting the discussion into another topic, raising the minimum wage... Few (if any) minimum wage jobs are union.

While your statements "sound" reasonable, on the surface, they have no basis in fact.

LOL! You actually believe the idiot burger flippers went to the unions? Wow you'll believe anything. Let's keep in mind that 90% of the protesters are being paid by the union and very few are actually burger flippers.

Not deflecting anything, just addressing your lies.

What's funny is you actually believe unions care about the worker.

LOL! You actually believe the idiot burger flippers went to the unions? Wow you'll believe anything. Let's keep in mind that 90% of the protesters are being paid by the union and very few are actually burger flippers.

And what is it that you actually believe? Do you believe the companies actually care about their associates, independent contractors, teams members or their so called family of employees? Note that I didn't mention that the real name is just workers.................Your increased minimum wage burger flippers is on topic but, IMO , just an attempt to deflect the discussion away from the Teamster's FedEx and Conway organizing drives

And what is it that you actually believe? Do you believe the companies actually care about their associates, independent contractors, teams members or their so called family of employees? Note that I didn't mention that the real name is just workers.................Your increased minimum wage burger flippers is on topic but, IMO , just an attempt to deflect the discussion away from the Teamster's FedEx and Conway organizing drives

I have no reason to deflect the discussion about FedEx or Conway. Doesn't matter to me if they're organized or not. The O.P. purpose of this thread was to debunk some myths about the union. I simply challenged his so called "debunks".

And I never said or implied anything about the companies caring.

WTF? You're all over the friggin palce...

You Stoney, are nothing but an arrogant, insincere, flippant, drive by poster... You take a legit topic, throw out some, unrelated half truths, attempting to support your pathetic shallow case.. If you were sincere, you could have stated some pro-union myths and attempted to debunk those. Instead, you take a position that, somehow, fast food workers, and a protest for a unrealistic minimum wage, is PROOF, that the union has targeted companies, with no effort on the said employees part.

Then I ask you a simple, valid question. You twist it somehow into an affirmative statement by me and tell me I believe anything. WTF? REALLY?

And you call me a liar... Even though I told you of personal experienced that support my belief. Real world truths. Disagree if you will, but you've yet to show any lie. NOT one. I have no reason, or desire to lie. If you disagree on substance, I can respect that. You can't, and are one of the few people I can say I have no respect for. None.

I could go on to tell you what I really think of you, and risk being banned, (May not be a bad thing, and many would be pleased), but I'll save that for someone with more value... You Stoney, have no CLASS and I've wasted far too many keystrokes on you.

Enjoy your wretched existence..

WTF? You're all over the friggin palce...

You Stoney, are nothing but an arrogant, insincere, flippant, drive by poster... You take a legit topic, throw out some, unrelated half truths, attempting to support your pathetic shallow case.. If you were sincere, you could have stated some pro-union myths and attempted to debunk those. Instead, you take a position that, somehow, fast food workers, and a protest for a unrealistic minimum wage, is PROOF, that the union has targeted companies, with no effort on the said employees part.

Then I ask you a simple, valid question. You twist it somehow into an affirmative statement by me and tell me I believe anything. WTF? REALLY?

And you call me a liar... Even though I told you of personal experienced that support my belief. Real world truths. Disagree if you will, but you've yet to show any lie. NOT one. I have no reason, or desire to lie. If you disagree on substance, I can respect that. You can't, and are one of the few people I can say I have no respect for. None.

I could go on to tell you what I really think of you, and risk being banned, (May not be a bad thing, and many would be pleased), but I'll save that for someone with more value... You Stoney, have no CLASS and I've wasted far too many keystrokes on you.

Enjoy your wretched existence..

Sounds like Stoney hit a nerve. And if i read the post properly i think there was some name calling MR Moderator???

Only after burger flippers were called idiots and SwampRatt a liar. You missed those in your quote.

Let the mods do their job. You're not very good at it.

I'm a little afraid to get back into this thread but I'm this far what the heck. SwampRatt, I'm going to try to be nice about this You said in your original post that "1) Teamsters "Go After" companies and targeted FedEx for unionization.
False. Employees seek out and Ask the Teamsters to represent them. Only when significant interest exists, do they accept the request" that is simply not true there the teamsters HAVE targeted Fedex to try to deny it is absolutely dishonest. And the unions DO go after companies, they are called an organizer and they are not setting in their office playing solitaire waiting for someone to call and want to organize. They actively seek out and solicit membership, people mostly associate the Teamsters with truck drivers but the represent all kinds of industries and they do spend a lot of money annually going after them. "2) The unions just want your money. They do want your money, BUT they provide a valuable service in exchange for a nominal fee. Not unlike FedEx wants their customers' money in exchange for a service." The valuable service and nominal fee are a matter of perspective, if you don't want that service then its not a value and its not up to you to tell everyone else they need the service and then treat them poorly if they disagree. They are as entitled to their opinion as you are yours. As far as Fedex wanting their customers money, Fedex's customers are "at will' nothing is being pushed down their throats, they pay for a service that they feel is a value or they go somewhere else. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Only after burger flippers were called idiots and SwampRatt a liar. You missed those in your quote.

Let the mods do their job. You're not very good at it.

Opening line states "You are nothing but an arrogant, insincere, flippant, drive by poster" Now unless he is actually that, that is name calling. And other people have been banned for less. But than again the ones that are banned are the anti - union and they can't say anything. But the pro - union can say what they want. And i am very good at my job, that is why i don't need a union.