FedEx Freight | Union Myths Debunked

Ill answer the last question:

Looks like they need a union for the employees.

And competive, quality management personell who can handle it. Weed out the ones who cant.

Not certain which playing field you are referring to.

The playing field with their competitors will never be level. They are either going to be at an advantage or a disadvantage against those they are competing with. Would you rather your employer enjoy a competitive advantage in their field or a disadvantage?

I know which one I would prefer.

The question then becomes, how do I maintain my competitive advantage in my industry while ensuring that I am able to attract, hire and retain the quality workforce I desire?

Ill answer the last question:

Looks like they need a union for the employees.

And competive, quality management personell who can handle it. Weed out the ones who cant.

Why would you need to limit the quality personnel requirement to management? Wouldn't the employer need quality personnel who can handle it, from left to right, top to bottom? Why not weed out all the ones who can't? Why protect any of them?

Why would you need to limit the quality personnel requirement to management? Wouldn't the employer need quality personnel who can handle it, from left to right, top to bottom? Why not weed out all the ones who can't? Why protect any of them?

That's a great question ex. Since you have better connections than we do, why do you ask them that? My take on it is, you get what you pay for. The powers that be would rather continue tripping over dollars to pick up dimes than invest in quality people. They know that people cannot be replaced easily so mediocrity is accepted. The hard workers are just rewarded with more work to compensate for the slackers. Eventually, they figure that out and they too become mediocre. At the end of the day, we are left two types of people those who never cared and those who used too. Sad but true.

When you came in with 5 hours driving time available had you already completed your assigned bid? If so sending out another driver with more time available would make sense to me. I'm not going to spend a lot of time arguing about this as I'm not very experienced with it. But I am experienced with the union and they will not stop a lot of this.

Want to bet on that! If it were an accident, the union stewart would bring it to managements attention and give them a cease and desist grievance. If it were to happen again( at this point you know it's intentional)the senior driver that was sent home early can file and most likely win the money he lost by intentionally being sent home. I can pretty much guarantee management wouldn't do it again.

To all those at FedExFreight that detest any thought of being unionized. Remember you will have a vote/say in the matter. Majority will prevail, either for or against. Should your barn vote and become unionized, you as an individual do NOT have to become a union member. You have the right to refuse union representation( usually in writing). Just realize that you would get NO benefits that your Union counterparts may/will end up obtaining after negotiations and ratification. You would not be allowed to vote on anything that pertains to the union body.

You would stay in the companies insurance, hourly/mileage pay etc. Any language that was negotiated on their behalf would not apply to you. You would not have to pay union dues as well.

With that being said, those of you who are union and unhappy can go about this as well. Good day.

Ya right! Look at all the burger flippers protesting lately. They didn't go to the union. The union went to them!

Another pathetic lie. They want only your money. Again look to the burger flippers protesting. The unions know a raise in minimum wage to $15 would result in thousands of layoffs. But that's ok with them because the remaining workers would be paying union dues, and that's all they care about.

Raising the min. wage has never led to layoffs, contrary to (conservative) economic mythology. History shows raising the min wage has always acted as an economic stimulant as those wages are directly reinvested in the economy. Conservatives never want to raise wages for workers, but at the same time always want to shield the wealthy from higher rates of taxation. Why is that? I believe they accepted the trickle down myth, rather than the bottom up model which is what created the vast middle class. Concentrated wealth doesn't drive economic prosperity, dispersed wealth does....history proves that out. How is wealth dispersed? Well, one of the ways is through collective bargaining! Another is raising the min wage. Another is progressively higher rates of taxation on the wealthy to help pay for any number of foundational elements of a prosperous economy.

Biggest myth right now, would be the we can be easily replaced. Qualified drivers are NOT beating a path to the FXFE doorstep, And It takes months for a new trainee to become an actual driver.