FedEx Freight | Union Myths Debunked

I don't work there, I did it wasn't for me and I moved on instead of getting online and bellyaching about everything. My point is and has been, what makes you so sure that the majority actually wants the union and why are you so much smarter than the ones who don't.

You haven't moved very far, considering you're on our forum, stirring our pot. Regretting your decision to leave, maybe?

You haven't moved very far, considering you're on our forum, stirring our pot. Regretting your decision to leave, maybe?

Oh, you got me. No, no regrets here. If you look I have been a member of this site for several years and I just started posting in the last week. I've monitored the FedEx page all along because I have friends and family that work there. The reason I'm posting isn't to "stir the pot". It's because I'm tired of coming on here and seeing the group if you pro union guys, (most of which have no union experience) promising things you can't promise and treating anyone you doesn't are like they are stupid or company plants. Speaking of being on "your forum" how come you welcome pro union non Fedex people that agree with you but I'm stirring the pot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you got me. No, no regrets here. If you look I have been a member of this site for several years and I just started posting in the last week. I've monitored the FedEx page all along because I have friends and family that work there. The reason I'm posting isn't to "stir the pot". It's because I'm tired of coming on here and seeing the group if you pro union guys, (most of which have no union experience) promising things you can't promise and treating anyone you doesn't are like they are stupid or company plants. Speaking of being on "your forum" how come you welcome pro union non Fedex people that agree with you but I'm stirring the pot!
1. What promises have been made here, other than the fact that the Teamsters will negotiate, on our behalf, for the aforementioned issues that have been championed by many on these boards? That is the ONLY promise being made.
2. I never said you weren't welcome here. I questioned why someone who has no skin in this game, and is a former employee is on here calling our motives into question. You obviously witnessed all that is wrong with this company, or you would still be here. Instead of choosing the flight option, as you have, we have chosen the fight option. It just so happens, the Teamsters are our best avenue for recourse. Will it be perfect? I'll venture a guess and say no. That being said, doing nothing, only leads to further erosion of our job and financial security, the latter pertaining to wages, health care, and pension. Personally, my fight is about job security. I'm tired of the outsourcing of my linehaul job, to those of contractors, in order to save a dime. Ironically, at the expense of the customer, who used to come first at this company.

1. What promises have been made here, other than the fact that the Teamsters will negotiate, on our behalf, for the aforementioned issues that have been championed by many on these boards? That is the ONLY promise being made.
2. I never said you weren't welcome here. I questioned why someone who has no skin in this game, and is a former employee is on here calling our motives into question. You obviously witnessed all that is wrong with this company, or you would still be here. Instead of choosing the flight option, as you have, we have chosen the fight option. It just so happens, the Teamsters are our best avenue for recourse. Will it be perfect? I'll venture a guess and say no. That being said, doing nothing, only leads to further erosion of our job and financial security, the latter pertaining to wages, health care, and pension. Personally, my fight is about job security. I'm tired of the outsourcing of my linehaul job, to those of contractors, in order to save a dime. Ironically, at the expense of the customer, who used to come first at this company.

Well you have a funny way of making a guy feel welcome. Most of the pro union crowd keeps telling everyone that insurance will be better ,retirement will be better, management will be better. Just vote with us and see, then you turn around and say "oh I'm not promising nothing". What happens when the union comes in an it doesn't get better, then your stuck.

Look I'm not saying vote no, I've never said that, I'm just saying stop painting this rosy picture that you can not deliver and then badger anyone who disagrees. People need to do their own due diligence and make up their own mind. Don't just talk to the next ltl driver on the dock, find an ex union member and talk to them. I know at my old barn we has ex teamsters that were good workers and good employees that do not want the union. Are the less important than you?

Well you have a funny way of making a guy feel welcome. Most of the pro union crowd keeps telling everyone that insurance will be better ,retirement will be better, management will be better. Just vote with us and see, then you turn around and say "oh I'm not promising nothing". What happens when the union comes in an it doesn't get better, then your stuck.

I'd rather be stuck with a contract that can be renegotiated every few years, than stuck with the current at will status I have now. We are exposed to whatever cost cutting tactic the mothership can come up with. I'd bet my next paycheck any contract we get ratified will be head and shoulders above what we have now.

I have a question, I think we can all agree that there will be at least one or two terminals will go union when they vote. I know that everything is negotiated but how long do the negotiations go before a mediator is called in. Because we all know that FXF will negotiate in good faith.

For what is worth I believe that this issue will not go away for FXF. I know some drivers out of different yards here in the south and it is growing.

Copy that. Good luck to you Sir. If I call someone multiple times to give them business, and they will not even return my call..........well..........they will not get my business.

But you see, I don't need them to call. If I end up with a company wide contract that I have a copy of to shove----er, I mean to open up to the appropriate page, I'm happy.

I have a question, I think we can all agree that there will be at least one or two terminals will go union when they vote. I know that everything is negotiated but how long do the negotiations go before a mediator is called in. Because we all know that FXF will negotiate in good faith.

The initial contract negotiations don't work that way.

There is p l e n t y of wiggle room and subjective wording that nobody on either side can give you a definitive answer. However, here is what the NLRB has to say about the subject (emphasis added is my own):

After employees choose a union as a bargaining representative, the employer and union are required to meet at reasonable times to bargain in good faith about wages, hours, vacation time, insurance, safety practices and other mandatory subjects. Some managerial decisions such as subcontracting, relocation, and other operational changes may not be mandatory subjects of bargaining, but the employer must bargain about the decision's effects on unit employees.

It is an unfair labor practice for either party to refuse to bargain collectively with the other, but parties are not compelled to reach agreement or make concessions.

If after sufficient good faith efforts, no agreement can be reached, the employer may declare impasse, and then implement the last offer presented to the union. However, the union may disagree that true impasse has been reached and file a charge of an unfair labor practice for failure to bargain in good faith. The NLRB will determine whether true impasse was reached based on the history of negotiations and the understandings of both parties.

http://www.nlrb.gov/rights-we-protect/employerunion-rights-and-obligations

Not certain which playing field you are referring to.

The playing field with their competitors will never be level. They are either going to be at an advantage or a disadvantage against those they are competing with. Would you rather your employer enjoy a competitive advantage in their field or a disadvantage?

I know which one I would prefer.

The question then becomes, how do I maintain my competitive advantage in my industry while ensuring that I am able to attract, hire and retain the quality workforce I desire?

Not certain which playing field you are referring to.

The playing field with their competitors will never be level. They are either going to be at an advantage or a disadvantage against those they are competing with. Would you rather your employer enjoy a competitive advantage in their field or a disadvantage?

I know which one I would prefer.

The question then becomes, how do I maintain my competitive advantage in my industry while ensuring that I am able to attract, hire and retain the quality workforce I desire?

I have no problem with having an advantage, except when it comes at MY expense. If lower compensation is your edge, I want a level playing field to negotiate with you.

Does anyone still believe that, in all likelihood, representation will not bring better benefits?

While nothing is guaranteed, we have to look at the track record of FedEx Corp., without representation.

Has anything improved? What have we gained as employees as our efficiency has gone up, and up, and...?

Does anyone still believe that, in all likelihood, representation will not bring better benefits?

While nothing is guaranteed, we have to look at the track record of FedEx Corp., without representation.

Has anything improved? What have we gained as employees as our efficiency has gone up, and up, and...?

Absolutely you will get better benefits. The health insurance alone there will be a hugh difference. $5000.00 deductibles v near nothing. I would think in terms of competitive advantage nothing is really going to change. It all boils down to picking up on time, not breaking the freight, and delivering on time. Wages will be either on par or better than UPS Freight. With a company the size of this LTL the union will accept nothing less than NMFA so wages will be on par with us.

Absolutely you will get better benefits. The health insurance alone there will be a hugh difference. $5000.00 deductibles v near nothing. I would think in terms of competitive advantage nothing is really going to change. It all boils down to picking up on time, not breaking the freight, and delivering on time. Wages will be either on par or better than UPS Freight. With a company the size of this LTL the union will accept nothing less than NMFA so wages will be on par with us.

....and you know all of this how?