TForce | UPS Freight is going to be unionized so get over it.

Johnnybegood said:
good luck.......-1 for me.
Alot of terminals are changing linehaul runs and also eliminating some runs. If this was to effect you and you were sent to the bottom of the city list and you watch employees with less than a year company time work before you while you struggle to pay the bills. What would your out look be? You never know whats around the corner.

BusterNite said:
Alot of terminals are changing linehaul runs and also eliminating some runs. If this was to effect you and you were sent to the bottom of the city list and you watch employees with less than a year company time work before you while you struggle to pay the bills. What would your out look be? You never know whats around the corner.
I'd do what i have to do..But i have enough under me not to worry about that...Just think when we go to a one senority list many Road Drivers who have been waiting for the rules to change will be back in the city in their company senority slot so get ready for the road low senority city drivers...:biglaugh: Thats if the union gets in...:duh:

hobo said:
all UPS drivers get the same contract. package, feeders and even the mechanic. yes we are freight drivers BUT we are UPS freight drivers. why should we be treated differently. we are UPS first freight drivers second. we want a UPS CONTRACT not a freight contract. we dont work for abf or roadway we work for UPS. we have to INSIST on this

Are you all there?

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
Did you ever stop to think that the freight business is different from the package business.
Just because UPS owns us doesn't mean they can raise their rates astronomicaly to pay us,and still compete with the current LTL's.

If there was that kind of money in freight...don't you think the Freight agreement would be a much better package than it is now?

This leads to a question that was just answered in another post....if the teamsters are successful in organizing us,and they can get the rest of the non-union LTL's to organize...then you may have your wish...because there would be no other "cheap" carriers for people to ship with....then everyone will be on a level playing field and we could shoot for the stars in pay and bennies....but then it will cost so much to ship stuff that when you buy something,it will cost a small fortune(to offset the shipping costs)...and you still won't be making enough money.

Where does it all end.

It's pretty much the same reason the American Auto manufacturers are loosing the battle with the foreign cars.
The American(unionized) worker thinks he should be making $50/hour.
And people wonder why a new car costs as much as a house did just 20 or 30 years ago.
lol, thats funny. While we all wish we made a kazillion dollars an hour, thats never going to happen. Cost of living raise and health and welfare, and pension. What more could you ask for. To think we are that greedy is absurd.

Johnnybegood said:
We are just as valuable to the UPS co..We must demand the same contract or nothing........:duh:
not even close. Your in two totally different sectors, and your no were near profitable.

Johnnybegood said:
I'd do what i have to do..But i have enough under me not to worry about that...Just think when we go to a one senority list many Road Drivers who have been waiting for the rules to change will be back in the city in their company senority slot so get ready for the road low senority city drivers...:biglaugh: Thats if the union gets in...:duh:
Another misconception. Some have one line senority, some have multiple line senority. You really have no clue due you? Thats the problem with some people here. they rant and rave and have no clue as to what there saying. Thats why most union people here tell you to find things out first. But hey, were all here to just try you to see it our way and give no info.
Just a thought, and i tell you this from my point of view. I love one line senority myself. When you get older, and I am not, you might what to jump back and forth in classification. You know P&D in the winter, road in the summer. Cause any teamster will tell you, senority is everything.

Johnnybegood said:
The way it should be! And don't think you have nothing to worry about. You say you would do what you have to? Even if it is wrong you love your company so much that its ok? Your new boss & Ceo loves you too!!????????? Thats why he is giving you the chance to vote.

Johnnybegood said:
Thats not the way it is in Chicago. The city guys aren't even the same local as us. The only way to transfer job classes and keep your seniority date here is if there's a change of ops and the road board is losing drivers and the city gaining.

serta said:
Another misconception. Some have one line senority, some have multiple line senority. You really have no clue due you? Thats the problem with some people here. they rant and rave and have no clue as to what there saying. Thats why most union people here tell you to find things out first. But hey, were all here to just try you to see it our way and give no info.
Just a thought, and i tell you this from my point of view. I love one line senority myself. When you get older, and I am not, you might what to jump back and forth in classification. You know P&D in the winter, road in the summer. Cause any teamster will tell you, senority is everything.
like you said we are nothing compared to ups and do not deserve the same contract...Like you said who knows how the senority will work ...:duh:

We have 3 classifications in St. Louis, not 1. Road, city and dock. The 1 line seniority thing seems to be a Northeastern thing, and even then only in a few places that I'm aware of. I don't know of anywhere in the South or Midwest that uses the one line system.

Yeah pretty much in the NE, some other small ones too. Most have two and three line senority, with all kinds of rules. Not to beat the bush, ask the local or a brother in your area. Lots of places if you jump class, you go to the bottom of that class for one year and a day, unless theres a change, then thats thrown out.

In St. Louis you can go to another classification only when that class is hiring....and then you go to the bottom of the board and stay there.....no year and a day rule here. The thing is, around here very few ever jump. Most road drivers want nothing to do with the city and vice versa. Last year when all 3 classes were hiring, we had a road guy who was near the bottom jump to the dock.....after 2 days he realized he hated dockwork.....he came back to the road and lost 8 spots. The point is to hire into the class you want to be in. We like seniority here too....seniority in the class you choose to hire on in.

A say in the negotiations

A lot of these posts seem to be about what we all will get if & when...pension, delay, senority, breakdown, mileage, hourly, insurance, master freight, parcel, UPS wages, etc...

None of know exactly how this will all play out. I for one would like to be a part of the decision. No one in the "upper" seems to be listening to us now, what makes me think that will change? Not by itself. Only by a combined voice of the masses. Am I a Union boy? Not yet, but looks to be a good idea.

We are not part of the old 'good ole boy company' anymore where they are looking out for our best interest. Personally I think Leo, Matt, Pete, whomever, are only looking at the bottom line #s to send on to the UPS guys so they can look good. And their way of doing that is to keep our wages, benefits, etc. down without cutting into their bonuses.

Signing a card just means that you want to be part of the decision making along with some job security. That sounds better to me than being at the mercy of a company that "reserves the right to amend or discontinue...for any reason".

Besides, if at the end of the negotiations, the Teamsters can't deliver for us, I guess at that time the vote will tell.

we are UPS DRIVERS not freight drivers, not roadway drivers, not yellow drivers, not abf drivers. we want to be part of the UPS CONTRACT. we must insist on this. let the union reps know that this is what we expect.UPS is getting ready to negotiate a new contract. WE NEED TO BE A PART OF THESE NEGOTIATIONS. do not accept this bull about nfa one company, one union, one contract

Hobo,
As many of us have pointed out, it's not very realistic to think you guys can walk in and end up with the Parcel Agreement. You actually are freight drivers and dockhands. Parcel and freight are in 2 different worlds. Parcel pays much better than freight to the Company. End of story.
UPSF was bought to bring a large UPS presence in the LTL freight sector, not to expand their the parcel sector. Are you sure that you're not just raising the bar of expectations so high that in your mind it can never be achieved? And what would be so terrible to be on par with Yellow, Roadway, ABF and Holland? I'm confused about this.
This isn't a confrontational post.....I just don't understand how come the NMFA is like poison to you, when it's an improvement in all aspects and a huge improvement in some matters.

dear stldude
the reason that we are in the position we are in today is because of our 230,000 brothers and sisters teamsters at UPS. this is a powerful group and with their support we can be included in the UPS EARLY NEGOTIATION by the way why do you think they want an early negotition in the first place? also you may know when ever you negotiate, you have to set the bar high. you dont accept defeat even before negotiations start WE ARE UPS ONE COMPANY, ONE UNION, ONE CONTRACT

Hobo,
I'm not against you guys getting the UPS Contract at all, I just don't see the possibility as being realistic, as UPSF is indeed a freight Company. Nor do I consider it a defeat to be under the NMFA. If you think you can get it, go for it, but don't, in advance, consider the NMFA to be inferior as a possible outcome, as it would cover all of the gripes we've seen here already which UPSF workers have described. That's all I mean.

what is this be a man carp?
Im trying to comunicate with my fellow UPS FREIGHT DRIVERS
If there are other drivers that are offended by my insistance that we be included in the UPS EARLY NEGOTIATIONS well thats not my intention. If it turns out that we get into NMFA, so be it. But im going to try as hard as I can to get a UPS CONTRACT, because were ONE COMPANY, ONE UNION, so we should have ONE CONTRACT

hobo said:
what is this be a man carp?
Im trying to comunicate with my fellow UPS FREIGHT DRIVERS
If there are other drivers that are offended by my insistance that we be included in the UPS EARLY NEGOTIATIONS well thats not my intention. If it turns out that we get into NMFA, so be it. But im going to try as hard as I can to get a UPS CONTRACT, because were ONE COMPANY, ONE UNION, so we should have ONE CONTRACT
I never said anything about being a man. Who are you talking to?