TForce | UPS is cracking the whip on us city drivers.

Overnite we were also told by our TM to change over to the dock,if our route trailers weren't loaded and ready to go.
But he doesn't want any chatting,he wants us to see if we can get our trailers finished loading.
It only took me a short time to figure out that this is the best time to warm up my tractor,and hook up,then go to the dock,and finish out my load.
I hand in my paper work,toggle back to P&D on the clock.
Put my ID on my DIAD,than go to my tractor to put in the odometer reading.
This gives me enough time to do a quick pre-trip,than punch enroute to my first stop.

Some of my co-workers haven't figured out this good routine yet,but it won't be long for me to wize them up.
Ideas spread fast threw my terminal.
The only thing I can figure out at night on the 10 minute return,is finishing up on my time,after I clock out.
Anybody else got any better ideas?
I'm always opened for sugjestions.

what they are watching for is called "lag time" and there is a special report that tm's can print out that shows it.

It is calculated like this, it takes your punch in time then subtracts that from when you hit enroute to the first stop.

I am sure our terminal not special our drivers hit the clock walk onto the dock and most act like there helping finish loading there trailers but they talk most of the time.

out tm told the dock sup that driver lag time was going to be put against dock production and any driver who is on the dock his hours will go against dock production.

think if a facility has 20 drivers and there just sitting around doing nothing for 30 mins each morning that is over $200 a day.

How come they don't watch for lag time with the road drivers. Heck, there is a bunch of us just sitting around for hours on end waiting for freight. OH, thats right, they don't pay us anything to sit around so they are not concerned.:nutkick:

Well so much for a full pre-trip,now its once around the rig.
Check the lights with the four ways on,and kick the tires.
No time to post trip at the end of the day.
Only three days into these new time restaints.
A verbale waring for going over my return time by 1 minute.
I'm clocking out than pulling my hand cart,and pallet jack off to stow them in the equipment corner of our dock.

I'm getting to old to look for another job,and I'm not ready to retire,so they've got me finishing up my day on my own time.

Say wheres those two ponies,and that wagon wheel?
Whats the latest on the INDY contract?

Does everyone think the union can help us with this,or is this just the way its going to be,union,or no union?

APO I can't beleive how easily you are imtimidated.

You are punching out and then preforming tasks related to your job!!!

What happens when you get hurt out there and you are off the clock?
What happens when some punk supervisor has a hair ascross his asss and writes you up for tresspassing on his dock (you aren't punched in)
Are you so afraid of these guys that you would jump through hoops to save them a minute of your time, time you spend doing duties for them.

Also you being a twenty year teamster know quite well that the Teamsters can and will help in this type of situation.

I love this TM of yours, he has a very effective managrial style. Not only does he have you jumping, he has you posting on the internet that you do it to please him as well.

Try this, don't bring a two wheeler or jack and see how much of THEIR freight you unload. When you start bringing things back and they ask you why tell them you don't have sufficient time to properly or saftey put your freight handling equiptment on your peddle unit to move THEIR freight to be unloaded, let them know you don't have time to load or unload you equiptment in a timely manner according to their time lines.

Two can play at this game you just need to know how, you figure a guy with 43 years in the business would already know how to get around a guy who's probally not even that old.
You'd been in the business longer than he's been away from his mommy's teat and you are fearing him because of a write up.
I use paper everyday to clean my backside, I suggest you use his write ups for the same.

T251

call d.o.t and report them.this is very unsafe when some gets hurt then they will blame you for not taking the time to check your equipment. good luck. local 710.

Well its easy for you to say what you'd do in my place T251.
Your a Teamster and your union would back you up,with rediculas time restarints like UPS,not my TM is putting on us city drivers.

I'm not ready to retire at this time,so I have to go along with this current program.

I told my TM this morning I was going to warm up my tractor,and hook up on the dock clock.
To have time for putting my freight handling equipment on my trailer,and do a pre-trip.
He said no you can't do that,you have to be on p&d if my trailer is loaded,and my DR's are ready.

My TM is under a lot of pressure from wherever this new time thing is coming from in our upper management.

Than I said back to him,they preach safety,safety,now its hurry up,hurry up.
It can't be both ways.
when your doing anything in a rush you can't be totally focused on safety.

Ok,so now I have a bad attitude.
Oh well thats life get over it.

Well its easy for you to say what you'd do in my place T251.
Your a Teamster and your union would back you up,with rediculas time restarints like UPS,not my TM is putting on us city drivers.

I'm not ready to retire at this time,so I have to go along with this current program.

I told my TM this morning I was going to warm up my tractor,and hook up on the dock clock.
To have time for putting my freight handling equipment on my trailer,and do a pre-trip.
He said no you can't do that,you have to be on p&d if my trailer is loaded,and my DR's are ready.

My TM is under a lot of pressure from wherever this new time thing is coming from in our upper management.

Than I said back to him,they preach safety,safety,now its hurry up,hurry up.
It can't be both ways.
when your doing anything in a rush you can't be totally focused on safety.

Ok,so now I have a bad attitude.
Oh well thats life get over it.

Oh well that's life get over it?

Oh well I'll do it on free time?

Oh well I punch out and set a good example?

What kind of example are you setting for the younger guys that may look to you for advice?

You are an icon at your terminal, and icon with your customers, and an icon on the Overnite/UPSF forum. Don't send the wrong message to those that may be swayed by your comments. Help these guys don't lead them down the wrong path.

Never punch out unless you're going home.
Follow the rules in a safe manner.
Don't create situations that lead to yourself getting into trouble or jepordizing your health or safety.
If rules are obsured, observe and obey to the best of your ability until you can get them changed.
The chain of command doesn't stop at your TM.

Union carriers have the same rules.I don't work for them but I have frends that do and fuss like the rest of us.

The rules may be the same, but with union representation they cannot fire you for production or lack of as long as you are doing the best you can. They will hound you and worry you to death but that is all they can do.

Thanks for the slap upside my head T251.
Again I can only say your a Teamster,and I'm on my own.
The difference is like night,and day.

I did talk with my outbound supervisor,and he says the dock workers will open our trailer doors,put the dock plate on,and remove our equipment at the end of our day.
So we've just got to back in record our odometer reading on our Diads,park our tractors,hand in our paper work in the aloted 10 minutes,and clock out.
Sometimes my whinnig does some good.

But I for one of the vast sea of UPS employees am very disappointed that the safety that they are always preaching will suffer,because of these new time rules.

If I could discribe this situation in one word.
That word would be(HYPOCRACY)
But who am I?
Just one number on UPS's employee records.

Thanks for the slap upside my head T251.
Again I can only say your a Teamster,and I'm on my own.
The difference is like night,and day.

I did talk with my outbound supervisor,and he says the dock workers will open our trailer doors,put the dock plate on,and remove our equipment at the end of our day.
So we've just got to back in record our odometer reading on our Diads,park our tractors,hand in our paper work in the aloted 10 minutes,and clock out.
Sometimes my whinnig does some good.

But I for one of the vast sea of UPS employees am very disappointed that the safety that they are always preaching will suffer,because of these new time rules.

If I could discribe this situation in one word.
That word would be(HYPOCRACY)
But who am I?
Just one number on UPS's employee records.

They care about numbers not safety. Unless it is a claim against there terminal. And then they will write you up for not being safe.

I guess we are between a rock,and a hard place BusterNite.
We can't do everything that we are required to do,but if we don't than down the road we will go.
Only not in the companys trucks but our own personal vehicles to start applying at other companies for work.

I'll just do what I'm used too.
I'll do my best,keep my mouth shutt,get my paycheck,and do all my crying on these truckingboards.

If you have any questions please call 1-800-UPS CARES

"No negative thoughts will be expressed at the terminal you work at.
Thank you very much this is a recording from UPS"

apo when does your 10 minites start? I am talking about at the end of the day, I do all of my paper work when I am on the route so when I return all I do is drop it on the desk and pull the pallet jack off, if your time starts once you arrive yourself in the diad then don't arrive until you get in the office.

My TM says drive back to the terminal,back into your asigned route dock,and drop the trailer.
Punch in the odometer reading,unless you have to fuel your tractor than go to fuel delay.
You'd better be fueling with a fuel ticket for proof.
After our Diads are doing the reboot,we park our tractors plug in our block heater cord,go to the drivers window,and hand over our paper work,plug in our company phone to the charger,and also put our Diads in its power slot,than hurry up to clock out.
No time to do anything about putting our jacks,and hand carts away.

The onlything I do now on my own time is I have my own personal hand cart,and I chain,and lock it to my pallet jack.
The dock crew gets my stuff off my trailer between the time I'm parking my tractor and clocking out.

APO I can't beleive how easily you are imtimidated.

You are punching out and then preforming tasks related to your job!!!

What happens when you get hurt out there and you are off the clock?
What happens when some punk supervisor has a hair ascross his asss and writes you up for tresspassing on his dock (you aren't punched in)
Are you so afraid of these guys that you would jump through hoops to save them a minute of your time, time you spend doing duties for them.

Also you being a twenty year teamster know quite well that the Teamsters can and will help in this type of situation.

I love this TM of yours, he has a very effective managrial style. Not only does he have you jumping, he has you posting on the internet that you do it to please him as well.

Try this, don't bring a two wheeler or jack and see how much of THEIR freight you unload. When you start bringing things back and they ask you why tell them you don't have sufficient time to properly or saftey put your freight handling equiptment on your peddle unit to move THEIR freight to be unloaded, let them know you don't have time to load or unload you equiptment in a timely manner according to their time lines.

Two can play at this game you just need to know how, you figure a guy with 43 years in the business would already know how to get around a guy who's probally not even that old.
You'd been in the business longer than he's been away from his mommy's teat and you are fearing him because of a write up.
I use paper everyday to clean my backside, I suggest you use his write ups for the same.

T251

Skeeter and Apo - I have just been reading, because I have been retired from "O" after I walked out in 2000 on a disability.

I am telling both of you right now, listen to these guys, because there IS no more "O", anything that resembled "O", "O" is gone forever. Forget what was, get those cards signed and stay the course with the good guys here that are trying to guide you from the hell you are being given right now, into some protection.

Apo - you have health problems. I am blunt about this, because I know what happens to people with health problems. Out the door. Regardless of how many years, how you worked off the clock for the company, how you covered for the company, everything else. You are indeed a number, and one of the numbers has health problems. Cover your own arse, get that card signed. Get back with your doctor - this stress you are going thru WILL kill you. Is it really worth it? Really worth it? You have years that you could use to do church work, live a stress free life. Believe me Apo, it WILL NOT get better for you - they WILL kill you if you let them.

Skeeter - you and I bumped heads a lot during and after the big bad strike, but I am telling you for real, you had better get that card signed too. UPS will start going down the line looking at their assets - people are assests. The younger an asset is, the better. Older workers cause lost time for sickness. You are stubborn just like I was, get over it. You are just a number too, and one day, your number WILL come up. Get that card signed before it is too late. It may already be too late - you play, you pays.

These gentlemen that are giving advice about how to deal with management (and no, it is not TMs being mad about UPS taking over "O" - they are INSTRUCTED to do these things.) are giving you great advice. Follow it - don't fool around. The deal with the verbal warning about being 1 minute late - the next time, it will be written. Count on it.

Many bad things have been said about the Teamsters, and I once said those bad things - but thanks to one of the highest in the Teamster organization, I was able to beat management at their own game. Either be ready to get with UPS's game or get thrown out. They DO NOT care who you are, what you are doing for them, .... you are a number, and a number only. Numbers do not have faces, and numbers can be cut.

Thank You Teamster Guys for helping the UPS Freight guys! :clap: :1036316054:

Darkstar

Hey Apostolic at FDXFRT the red shirt's give our city driver's 1/2 hour for all the above you just stated,if your not out by your 1/2 hour the driver has to give managment a reason why. So far no one has been written up. 20 minute's is just not right.:shock:

I agree corn, thats just not enough time at all. It really does take about 30 mins.

I've checked with the safety dept.,in Richmond,and its out of their hands.
Just do the best you can with what time your aloted.

There is one more way I could take this issue.
But I'll really be turning the heat up on myself.
A can of worms so to speak that I'm not really sure I want to open?

I think for the time being I'll go along with the program.

I've always done all of my work unto God,and have blessed for the higher work ethic.

God has always taken very good care of me up to this point in my trucking carrer,I'm sure he will see me through this minor difficulty.

It's funny they preach safety,safety.safety. But numbers and productivity mean more to them than safety.

Its looking like they want us to do everything as fast as possible.
But if you know whats good for you keeping your UPS job you had better be totally focused on doing everything safe.

We did hear when we were getting all of the appearence rules just before the rebranding.
That UPS runs the tightest ship in shipping.
Now we can see what they mean by that.

The one reason why they may be doing this to us freight haulers is to pare down the cost of operating.
Than they will be able to lower their rates to gain more business and still be profitable.
Other than that I'm totally clueless why they think they can run us like they do their parcel division?

As far as I know there are no cards to sign yet, but you guys stick it out for the next couple of months and you'll be getting a fat raise once you organize. UPS is a vicious beast.

Someone made a comment about Teamster employers being the same, 20 min out the door and such. That couldn't be farther from the truth. We have "expectations" but there are no productivity clauses and no punishment for not meeting "expectations".

We are all behind you guys 100%; I look forward to gaining 15,000 brothers. Trust me that raise is going to be a fat one.