TForce | UPS-Linehaul

It's UPS's version of a tractor and a set of doubles that would be operated by a linehaul or a road driver.
It's just the way UPS words it.

Thanks. I have a friend of a friend who's been working for UPS since h.s. & has been dragging his feet to get his CDL. The terminal that he works for has been posting this position. What are the chances of getting hired with only a couple months of experience?

Thanks. I have a friend of a friend who's been working for UPS since h.s. & has been dragging his feet to get his CDL. The terminal that he works for has been posting this position. What are the chances of getting hired with only a couple months of experience?

That would be strictly up to UPS. If you look on their job ads in the paper, they always want at least 2 years all weather driving experience. If this person has been there since high school, (depending how old) then he probably has some kind of likeness from management. With only a couple of months it doubtful getting a road job, but who knows, it's UPS. I worked for both (UPS and UPSF) and what I've seen is the less experence drivers get the jobs and the rest that has been around a while with experience are outside looking in. Good Luck!

UPS calls them Feeders because they feed the outlying centers from the hubs and the hubs from the outlying centers. Additionally, they feed trailers between hubs.

In regards to moving from a package car to feeders it goes by seniority. You do not need experience with tractor trailers or a CDL as UPS will train you.

Well gee wiz,all of this time I always thought it was a UPS road driver who drove from one terminal to another.
While they were feeding their face with all kinds of goodies,or other food items.

Oh my how could we ever get along without these truckingboards to gain all of our great trucking information,from people in the know?

Well gee wiz,all of this time I always thought it was a UPS road driver who drove from one terminal to another.
While they were feeding their face with all kinds of goodies,or other food items.

Oh my how could we ever get along without these truckingboards to gain all of our great trucking information,from people in the know?

Apostolic,
That's what I thought too, I worked for both (UPS and UPSF) and they have there own vocabulary. Pretty soon they're going to call you guys "Freight Distribution Engineers". That's the part I was saying before. The less experience you have the quicker you can learn the "UPS way".
If you're an experienced freight hauler applying there for a job, it's harder to teach old dogs new words. So you're usually going to be skipped over. That's at least what I went through at UPS. UPSF that's another story, No Comment.:censored2:

So where did you land your workahallic self?
Did you come from UPS to an easier life driving for us UPS Freight haulers?
Or did you go the other way?
Working here to the totally ballistic hechtic pace of working at UPS?

So where did you land your workahallic self?
Did you come from UPS to an easier life driving for us UPS Freight haulers?
Or did you go the other way?
Working here to the totally ballistic hechtic pace of working at UPS?

Apo,
Workahallic, NEVER! Still looking for some company to work for. My neighbors think I must of hit the lottery or something, of not working this long.
I originally was layed-off from UPS from seasonal work (12-'01) then in (10'02) got a full time road job at Overnite. Then "Black May" of '06 hit. The buy-out, those ba####ds followed me. Then it was pretty much down hill from there. I lasted until (2'07)Hopefully things will turn around for me, so far nothing.

If your roots aren't planted really deep where your living now.
You could look into another area of the United States for work.
I think some of our terminals are looking for help.
You could inquire here on the truckingboards to see if any of our terminals may be able to put you on their fultime clock.
Just a thought.

If your roots aren't planted really deep where your living now.
You could look into another area of the United States for work.
I think some of our terminals are looking for help.
You could inquire here on the truckingboards to see if any of our terminals may be able to put you on their fultime clock.
Just a thought.

I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but I just left where you work now.

Yes sir I was addressing you beermug.

I know my own nephew worked at my terminal two different times.
He walked out with no notice leaving town,the first time,and came back here after about two years,and was re-hired,because my TM needed a city driver at the time.
He worked a few months then with out any notice he walked out,and left town again the same way.

I know for sure he's all done now, my TM will never let him work here again if he should ever come back to town.

So you worked here once,if you didn't leave in a bad way, burning any bridges.
You know how we operate,and would be more valuable than a total green horn hiring on.
You could hire back,if some terminal is looking for workers.

Yes sir I was addressing you beermug.

I know my own nephew worked at my terminal two different times.
He walked out with no notice leaving town,the first time,and came back here after about two years,and was re-hired,because my TM needed a city driver at the time.
He worked a few months then with out any notice he walked out,and left town again the same way.

I know for sure he's all done now, my TM will never let him work here again if he should ever come back to town.

So you worked here once,if you didn't leave in a bad way, burning any bridges.
You know how we operate,and would be more valuable than a total green horn hiring on.
You could hire back,if some terminal is looking for workers.

No, I didn't have a beef with SOH, it's Richmond, VA! The EX Overniters "Sluggs" at that time and now "Gordo and Company" was my problem. Once they get rid of them type of people, then it probably wouldn't be too bad of a job. What I can see now and talking to friends that are still there, it sounds like it's pretty far gone as far as it was before the big buy-out.
If you read thread #11 under UPS-Linehaul, that is the main reason I could never go back to work for people that operate like that.
There's probably worse out there, but I know there's better, it's just finding the right place is the challenge. If such a place exists now.

I just got done reading your posted comments from the linehaul thread #11.

It would seem to me if this in fact an equipment malfunction,and you can get something in writing from the State Trooper.
You could first put in an apeal to our companys peer review board,to be re-instated to your old job.

If you don't feel you'd get a fair shake going that way.
Then seeing we don't have a union,there are still labor laws in place in this country,for American citizens.
You could get all the writen documentation on this insident,then apeal to the board of labor in your area.
Going that route,you may,or may not get your job back here.
But you could always wind up with some monitary reward.

I know you've got to do what you feel you should,but if I were you this is the action I'd be taking.
I would of jumped on this right after my termination.
Strike while the iron is hot,the longer something like this goes on,the less chance you have of coming out on top,even when your not guilty of anything.

I just got done reading your posted comments from the linehaul thread #11.

It would seem to me if this in fact an equipment malfunction,and you can get something in writing from the State Trooper.
You could first put in an apeal to our companys peer review board,to be re-instated to your old job.

If you don't feel you'd get a fair shake going that way.
Then seeing we don't have a union,there are still labor laws in place in this country,for American citizens.
You could get all the writen documentation on this insident,then apeal to the board of labor in your area.
Going that route,you may,or may not get your job back here.
But you could always wind up with some monitary reward.

I know you've got to do what you feel you should,but if I were you this is the action I'd be taking.
I would of jumped on this right after my termination.
Strike while the iron is hot,the longer something like this goes on,the less chance you have of coming out on top,even when your not guilty of anything.

I hear you Apo,
They basically did me a favor by doing what they did. I had a chance for a peer review, but I didn't think I did anything wrong to be persecuted for this in the first place.
I tried to get documentation from the trooper, but they wouldn't hear of it. They made up their feeble minds and nothing was going to change that.

As far as going back there, no way! I wouldn't fit in now with all their daily stupidity of there new and improved way of running a trucking company.

I'm sure there are labor laws somewhere that would cover this, but what would I have if I did get the job back? The aggrevation of working for a place that gives you the feeling you are disposible at anytime. (page 8 in the rule book under legal notice).
I know all companies are like that, but you really don't need to be reminded of it everytime you challenge this company in anyway.
Hundreds of times you hear, "if you don't like it then quit". Instead of listening to suggestions or anything that might be a better way of doing something. They have all the answers! No I'm definitly alright not being there anymore!:1036316054:

Sorry I couldn't offer you any good advice.
I tryed to help you out ,because I thought you may of been wronged,and had a way of retriving your job here?

But other then what I've posted, I can only say a prayer for you to find employement elswhere,so you will be able to support your family in the future.

Sorry I couldn't offer you any good advice.
I tryed to help you out ,because I thought you may of been wronged,and had a way of retriving your job here?

But other then what I've posted, I can only say a prayer for you to find employement elswhere,so you will be able to support your family in the future.

No Problem Apostolic, I thought long and hard about it. Yes I was wronged, but it wasn't really all that great before. I was hoping Holland over here would give me a chance, but so far nothing.
A lot of these LTL carriers have those permanent "now hiring drivers" signs, but it's hard to tell which one is really hiring and which one wants to play games. I still put applications there anyway, I'm bound to get something or die trying.

i think maybe you "might have" misunderstood me.

i was given an interview, and at the interview i was given the rule book and the drivers manual(?), along with a photo copy of a DOT physical form. about 2 weeks past that, i was given a road test with pups, which of course i passed.

i haven't gotten the DOT physical yet because i simply cannot afford the cost of this right now, in fact, most companies just send you to thier doctor. i wasn't given the DOT drug screen because that's good for only 30 days(?) i was told.

you see, i wasn't actually offered a job, yet, because no jobs for road drivers are available at that location. so my thinking is, why should i spend my money for a DOT physical if i don't have a solid job offer...?? what if a job offer never comes my way, i just kiss goodbye my money for a physical...??

now, from what i have BEEN READING HERE, it seems that UPSF is just as bad as any other place to work for. i am disappointed in this. i would have actually thought that UPSF would be a great place to work at, but then again, i do have a few loose screws that need to be tightened up in my brains.

i still will call the UPSF guy that interviewd me telling him i passed the driving test (although he should know by now), and i'll see if he can get me into a company doctor instead. my current job sucks big time, and i want to get back on the road, as a linehaul driver, not city..........

maybe i'll check into Central Transport, if i can't get anywhere with the UPSF rep.

I think you need to talk to the TM. I've never heard of having to pay for a physical out your own pocket. The company pays for it. Unless it is different where you are. But I thought the company is the same all over.

It's UPS's version of a tractor and a set of doubles that would be operated by a linehaul or a road driver.
It's just the way UPS words it.

Feeder is used in the Air freight industry also. Feeder for UPS is inside the buildings, where the packages are sorted, and the trucks are part of the feeder network. At least that's what I remember. I'm sure someone will correct me.

Up here in Rochester NY we have to shell out our own money for the D.O.T. physicals,every two years before the experation due date.
I've got to get mine done before October this year.

Theres an out patient clinic that does it at a lower cost then a regular Doctor.
Its just the bare bones basics enough to be reinstated to drive commercialy another two years.

When I was a Teamster around here the companies always paid,but since I've been at Overnite/UPS Freight its always come out of my pocket.

I used to have to pay for the physicals also here in Chicago too. First company I ever worked for that charged! I was with union and non and this is the first that does charge you.
Goes with the territory for UPSF.:nutkick:

I think you need to talk to the TM. I've never heard of having to pay for a physical out your own pocket. The company pays for it. Unless it is different where you are. But I thought the company is the same all over.

I have always paid for my DOT physical every two years its out of my pocket. Well, medical Ins. pays and I pay the co pay. Are you saying your terminal pays for this. If so I should have 23 years of back pay.