FedEx Freight | Vancouver Center closing?

I maybe wrong...Canada doesn't have the same laws as the U.S. with the NLRB and all....correct me if I'm wrong...I ain't skeered:usa:
Actually, our laws regarding workplace ethics and unions are even more strict than yours. That being said, FedEx is insisting the union had nothing to do with this.

Do you think we need a contract where we make big bucks early in our career, then it could decline in later years, when our perceived value has dwindled. As long as there is good retiree insurance and pension, is that something that would be reasonable?

Interesting. Early in our career we aren't as valuable to our employer because of our learning curve and their need to recoup their investment in us. We may be willing and able to work hard, but not necessarily as smart.

In our later years, we are about as knowledgeable of our job as we can be. We are likely working smarter and safer than the others, but we can't produce as much in the day. We could almost do our jobs with our eyes closed, so to speak.

The in-between years, we know our job well. Likely don't need much hand-holding. We are probably the best balance of working hard and working smart there is. High turn-over rate for this age group for a multitude of reasons.

So, every stage of the job is worth about the same for various reasons. ;)

As to merit pay, bumps in wage for safe driving record milestones is one fairly objective measure.

So you are saying because you can hold a steering wheel better than the next guy your merit pay should be more?

There is more value in your job than your ability to hold a steering wheel isn't there?

They have to say that but we all know why it is being shut down. IMHO
The union is not why they're shutting it down. Did the union contribute to the decision? A likely possibility. But VBC was built for a customer base that never materialized. The precedent for this was set a year and a half ago when FedEx attempted to open a center in Halifax. It failed to meet projections, they closed it and reverted to contracting with Armour.

And quit his job. Dont want to drive a union made truck. Hey ass, do you like beer?

Oh i see what you did there, You used part of my screen name to insult me. Very clever. Not offended by it but i did want to tell you that is was clever. Did you think of that yourself, I bet Jimmy would be really proud of you, his LITTLE BOY is really growing up. And to answer you question i do drink Beer. What does that have to do with any thing?? Oh get that to, is it because it is union made?? Once again Clever, that just put me right in my place. You are one tough cookie, all i am doing by commenting on your posts is making a fool out of myself. Way to smart for me. I am not worthy.

Conway did the exact same thing in Vancouver when they went union. Shut it down based on freight levels
Lets say your right that when the union is voted in they close the doors . How many terminals can they close b/4 it hurts them in the pocket ? at some point they have to realize that their smarter employees see value in a unionized labor force like UPS will have to negotiate with them . This a war between the haves and have not's between greed and whats fair . Like all wars there are going to be causalities .:1036316054:

C'mon...let's not pretend we care about dock workers....we've already established that they are taking OUR work, right?

Yes, I do care about dock workers. But I also care about work being diverted away from more senior people in the proper job classification.

Don't get pissy with me rat. We that are against the union have been saying this from day one. The company is fighting back and you don't like it. I'm sure the teamsters told those workers that this could never happen. :mad: Looks like it happened. IMHO
It's an Out of the country operation.Canada.Probably was going to close that Canadian facility down anyway.Just more propaganda

It's an Out of the country operation.Canada.Probably was going to close that Canadian facility down anyway.Just more propaganda
This is, in fact, the case. VBC was originally run by a local carrier. FedEx absorbed their operation when they opened the new facility, and when it closes it'll revert to the way it was being done before.