ABF | Vote Yes

Number of the day $25,000 That’s the size of signing bonuses that some railroad workers are being tempted with by BNSF Railway and Union Pacific Corp

Docker I wasn't at ABF until July 2011, the concessionary contract did go through in 2013 because a majority realized we were paying a portion of the H&W and pension increases with our lost vacation and wage reduction. The Southern Supplement increased $1/hr. each of the 5 yrs. for a total of $5/hr. since 2012. Now, ABF is giving the vacation back, keeping our healthcare the same, giving a token raise and a little bonus, but freezing the pension contribution rates. Those funds that do expel ABF, (and that's doubtful) the member gets $6/hr. in his/her 401K, probably about $12K a year, that's going with him/her if they decide to leave ABF. A bi-partisan committee is now tasked to come up with a solution to this pension crisis, which will mean a haircut for all of us. Be thankful if you have been fortunate enough to receive a full pension for a while. Now as for Ernie looking out for us, he has given the option to STRIKE if the MAJORITY of us find the proposal unacceptable. Now, so far, I've not personally been able to find anyone that wants to vote it down. A few locals with less than a thousand members are pushing a No vote to help the political aspirations of Fred Zuckerman. The vote is going to be electronic, with qualified casuals getting in on the action. This deal most likely is going through with a high participation rate and probably about 75% approval. Every driver I know has a smart phone to vote with in his/her hand. You think Ernie is trying to frighten people? Hell, he's just giving them what they asked for....want a damn STRIKE...vote er' down! Now ABF is not going to pay anymore than they are already paying into broke pension funds....it AIN'T gonna happen....and no Federal arbitrator is going to require them to...or he will have to call YRC into account. I can assure you that ABF can be idled for a while until an arbitrator settles the deal....for what is now on the table...or less! It makes no damn difference how they have now become a logistics company that can keep the lights on independently of ABF, but, Brother Ernie knows that. Rest assured, a STRIKE will do wonders for your pension I'm sure.
Turncoat, I'm still on fence on how I will vote because I don't like the raise (to small). I think you left out an argument for voting yes; we lose control if we vote no. I want larger raises over the next 5ys but if I vote no, I may get even less of a raise durring renegotiation or I may not get my week vacation back. With the information I currently have (and this is why I'm back on the TB) I have no idea what priorities will be renegotiated. I don't like the current pension plan! Both you and Cannary posted the pension is why we took a pay cut and lost a week of vacation last contract. I don't want that to happen again and I'm worried if I vote no I will be voting in another wage sacrifice for the pension.

Turncoat, I'm still on fence on how I will vote because I don't like the raise (to small). I think you left out an argument for voting yes; we lose control if we vote no. I want larger raises over the next 5ys but if I vote no, I may get even less of a raise durring renegotiation or I may not get my week vacation back. With the information I currently have (and this is why I'm back on the TB) I have no idea what priorities will be renegotiated. I don't like the current pension plan! Both you and Cannary posted the pension is why we took a pay cut and lost a week of vacation last contract. I don't want that to happen again and I'm worried if I vote no I will be voting in another wage sacrifice for the pension.
I see your point...I really do...However, it is still my contention that ArcBest wants this pushed through quickly to have the means to fund their non union asset build up...A yes vote would give them that priority and lay the ground work to do away with the ABF Freight Teamster Division. a NO vote wouldn't allow them to do that....so, I guess.."you can pay me now, or pay me later"...This my friend, is not trash talking the company for the Teamsters...only my humble opinion

Hypothetically, if we vote yes we underfund 10 per cent of the pension plans. If we vote no and we go on strike and arcbest decides to shut ABF, do we underfund ALL the pension funds?

You know damn well that you're voting yes... who you trying to BS? You think the members might actually start treating you decent again when trying to reason with you why this POS contract is so bad... that's why you're back on here... you aren't fooling anyone but yourself. Look at all the decent attention I'm getting now from members that are trying to get me to vote this contract down... right? Why don't you just vote yes now and be done with it because you and I both know that's what you plan on doing anyway.

IMO... you're one of those yes voters that will never admit that they voted for a POS contract after the fact because we all know just how many of them there are... don't we? After all... if this POS contract passes and in the near future when the members realize just how devastating this contract was... you'll be back here again... crying and whining on how you got screwed and telling everyone how you voted no.

Hypothetically, if we vote yes we underfund 10 per cent of the pension plans. If we vote no and we go on strike and arcbest decides to shut ABF, do we underfund ALL the pension funds?

That's the problem when one thinks on the lines of hypothetically instead of reality. First off... that 10% of the pension plans that will be underfunded will be from the start. Common sense tell you... just how many more will have that possibility of being underfunded in 5 years without any increases? It also tells you... what happens when other companies that are in the same pension plan gives those yearly increases needed to maintain the fund while yours don't?

Second... just because you vote no doesn't mean the IBT will call for a strike... it just means that they will have the authorization to call a strike... a very big difference... wouldn't you say? Also... If Arcbest has plans on shutting the doors... make no mistake... they will shut the doors when they're good and ready... and there's nothing that you and I could do about it. Just take a good look at what happened to Lakeville Motor Express around Thanksgiving 2016.

Here is another scenario: The contract doesn't pass. YRC buys ABF and you can work under their contract.

Hahaha..... The return of the “Off” brothers has created the need for SCUBA gear! Not just “hip waders”! Sic em docker! You savage. :2437::hilarious:

ABF doesn't want a strike, however, I think they are prepared for one. How will a strike benefit ABF is the question actually? And by the way, it will in reality be a "lockout", but the customers will be told it's a strike. Those "drivers" have went on strike. The Teamsters want us to raise your freight rates, but we're not going to. As soon as they realize that, they're coming back to work. We apologize this has happened. We have made them the best offer we could and stay competitive. Thanks, we knew you would understand. Oh, yes, we have other options for you, can we discuss those......
1. Those managers, and ops people, well they're coming to work everyday, assuring customers that we have contractors to get their struck goods delivered? ABF is working to get this resolved quickly and resume normal service. In the meantime....ARCBEST...has your back with OTHER options.
2. The company will have time to do more training with management on the new systems they are going to implement for efficiencies and spying.
3. Many in management that are in the trenches are going to be coddled and taken care of during the walkout and they will have a different attitude towards labor when they return to work. You just think some are overbearing now.
3. As this gets settled and we slowly start resuming operations, policy and procedures will be strictly enforced, with zero tolerance (like UPS) and grievances that once cruised right through will be laughed at and tossed out right away. The new ABF committees will be ruling for the heavy handed managers more than for labor. The laid back, we're all team players, we're family culture, that the company has tried to promote in the past will most likely not be the new company culture.
4. Assuming we were out for a month, how much would you have to win, assuming we win, to regain that loss.
5. Assuming we're out a week, and 2 or 3 major accounts are lost for a while, or maybe indefinitely, how many will be layed off and how long?
6. This contract isn't perfect, but it's an improvement and heading in the right direction and an olive branch that has been offered. But, we're going to raise a sword in response?
7. Retired folks, with no skin in the game, that are going to get their direct deposit every month and should soon be getting new pension laws on the books to protect their retirement are going to tell us we should vote NO....really? SMH You do realize the government likes for you to have enough income to pay your nursing home bill or else they have to subsidize that don't you? Think about it. But, it's an open forum for anyone to weigh in. But if your retired, God bless ya', but I don't pay you much attention concerning this matter. No disrespect intended.
8. By all means, vote your conscience. The cool thing about this electronic ballot, if you change your mind one way or the other, before the balloting closes you can re-vote. Only your last vote is considered.
But, a YES could guarantee what's on the table.
A NO vote could guarantee something a little different and I doubt it will be better or worth the cost. IMHO

Hahaha..... The return of the “Off” brothers has created the need for SCUBA gear! Not just “hip waders”! Sic em docker! You savage. :2437::hilarious:

Tell me wuss... is that all you can do... make a post... then run away for a month... then come back and do it all over again? Is that all your lily-livered ass can muster up? Here were my two replies to your last smart ass comment that went unanswered the last time you worked up the courage to stand up to one of the "off brothers"...

5693686700.png

6237393028.png

And here's albag's first and last day at Old School Teamsters...

4765016821.jpg

4839205416.jpg

I'm just glad our cameraman had his camera handy or we would of missed the opportunity to capture that great experience you had with the "off brothers"... seeing you didn't last more than a couple of minutes on a Teamster site... lol

And since you want to start playing these childish games now... I won't be waiting a month till you work up the courage again... I'll be starting to look you up now. Like they say... don't start something that you are either unwilling or unable to finish. Either man up for once in your life and meet me on the Get it off the chest thread or I'm a comin.

7. Retired folks, with no skin in the game, that are going to get their direct deposit every month and should soon be getting new pension laws on the books to protect their retirement are going to tell us we should vote NO....really? SMH You do realize the government likes for you to have enough income to pay your nursing home bill or else they have to subsidize that don't you? Think about it. But, it's an open forum for anyone to weigh in. But if your retired, God bless ya', but I don't pay you much attention concerning this matter. No disrespect intended.

Oh... but that's where you're dead wrong... us retired folks sure as hell do have skin in the game! We just won't stand around while lily-livered traitors such as yourself just keep giving away that which you never even earned and for that matter... even deserve... just because you're too afraid to be willing to fight just to keep what others before you earned. And disrespect is very much intended!!!

ABF doesn't want a strike, however, I think they are prepared for one. How will a strike benefit ABF is the question actually? And by the way, it will in reality be a "lockout", but the customers will be told it's a strike. Those "drivers" have went on strike. The Teamsters want us to raise your freight rates, but we're not going to. As soon as they realize that, they're coming back to work. We apologize this has happened. We have made them the best offer we could and stay competitive. Thanks, we knew you would understand. Oh, yes, we have other options for you, can we discuss those......
1. Those managers, and ops people, well they're coming to work everyday, assuring customers that we have contractors to get their struck goods delivered? ABF is working to get this resolved quickly and resume normal service. In the meantime....ARCBEST...has your back with OTHER options.
2. The company will have time to do more training with management on the new systems they are going to implement for efficiencies and spying.
3. Many in management that are in the trenches are going to be coddled and taken care of during the walkout and they will have a different attitude towards labor when they return to work. You just think some are overbearing now.
3. As this gets settled and we slowly start resuming operations, policy and procedures will be strictly enforced, with zero tolerance (like UPS) and grievances that once cruised right through will be laughed at and tossed out right away. The new ABF committees will be ruling for the heavy handed managers more than for labor. The laid back, we're all team players, we're family culture, that the company has tried to promote in the past will most likely not be the new company culture.
4. Assuming we were out for a month, how much would you have to win, assuming we win, to regain that loss.
5. Assuming we're out a week, and 2 or 3 major accounts are lost for a while, or maybe indefinitely, how many will be layed off and how long?
6. This contract isn't perfect, but it's an improvement and heading in the right direction and an olive branch that has been offered. But, we're going to raise a sword in response?
8. By all means, vote your conscience. The cool thing about this electronic ballot, if you change your mind one way or the other, before the balloting closes you can re-vote. Only your last vote is considered.
A NO vote could guarantee something a little different and I doubt it will be better or worth the cost. IMHO
If it’s a lockout we will be able to collect. As far as managment getting tough on the employees, it’s already happening with all the electronic devices & cameras to watch our every move! I’m a veteran of Ups package & Roadway(yrc) & dealt with the micro management for well over a decade....

Last edited:

TurnCoat how much is your yearly salary at ArcBest, they could not have a better salesman on this site. You state the above as if it is fact, how do you know this? Please post your source to back this up please. As you stated above if you are retired, God bless ya', but I don't pay you much attention concerning this matter. No disrespect intended my ass, yes you did! I have been here through three contracts and this is going to be my fourth and no I am not retired. I was here through the beg-back they had to have or they were going to close. I have news for you my friend they are still here and have bought 5 non-union companies. You talk out of the side of your mouth spinning crap you can't backup. Like I said please post your source or go back and state it as your opinion. Nobody here knows what is going to happen with the pension or do you have a crystal ball? We all know what state the funds are in and something must be done. As for the rest of the crap you are posting please post your source. You are so willing to give away everything the retirees before us worked and fought for what a disgrace. I will end this by asking you one more time please post your source to support your hypotheses.

TurnCoat how much is your yearly salary at ArcBest, they could not have a better salesman on this site. You state the above as if it is fact, how do you know this? Please post your source to back this up please. As you stated above if you are retired, God bless ya', but I don't pay you much attention concerning this matter. No disrespect intended my ass, yes you did! I have been here through three contracts and this is going to be my fourth and no I am not retired. I was here through the beg-back they had to have or they were going to close. I have news for you my friend they are still here and have bought 5 non-union companies. You talk out of the side of your mouth spinning crap you can't backup. Like I said please post your source or go back and state it as your opinion. Nobody here knows what is going to happen with the pension or do you have a crystal ball? We all know what state the funds are in and something must be done. As for the rest of the crap you are posting please post your source. You are so willing to give away everything the retirees before us worked and fought for what a disgrace. I will end this by asking you one more time please post your source to support your hypotheses.

I'm sorry to say this Trux but turncoat wouldn't know a fact if it snuck up and bit him on that sorry ass of his... lol

That is more than I have posted in a while. So TurnCoat please post your source. We would all like to see these facts as to what is going to happen in a strike. You must have a direct line to Judy or a copy of ArcBest's stike plan so please share it with us.

I'm a retiree........My "skin in the game",....would be one of my sons as a 10 year active Teamster,.....and another on withdrawal,.....which he may re-activate,....once he returns home from the Navy.

We're not supposed to care about companies tearing down conditions through intimidation and misinformation?

In my case, you're sadly mistaken..........I do care about my son's futures.