XPO | Walkabouts to Miami?

Have they? Two thirds of the unit in Miami don't seem that fired up about it. Majority rules, as long as the majority wants to organize.

Completely agree. But I also don't think it's acceptable to rewrite the terms of your employment by force because you don't find it convenient to leave.
The first thing I learned in negotiations is that the company still gets to run their business. We level the playing field by bargaining for the simple things that make drivers happy and , in addition, make them productive, as well. Ultimately, the company can't change the rules in the middle of the game because they have to abide by the contract. So do we!

I get not changing jobs to a certain extent. However if you're not happy where you are ...Leave. unions are an outdated option. If you want real change contact local and state government. These companies operate within the law. If they don't hire an attorney. Same ol crybaby union boy crap.

Completely agree. But I also don't think it's acceptable to rewrite the terms of your employment by force because you don't find it convenient to leave.
Where exactly is force involved? Courts. Lawyers. Flyers. Websites. Marchers. Picket lines.

Has there been some endorsing of force? Some call or request for force? Or did you mean something else?

Have they? Two thirds of the unit in Miami don't seem that fired up about it. Majority rules, as long as the majority wants to organize.

You know Gene, I'

Whether or not the Miami guys are getting screwed is not the issue. The fact they THINK they are getting screwed is what matters. And while you agreed with me that there comes a point in a man's life where changing jobs isn't a viable option, you also need to see other side of it. I don't know about you, but I didn't volunteer to work for XPO Logistics. XPO has a choice as did Conway to keep it real with the drivers, to keep us reasonably satisfied in an ever shrinking labor pool, but XPO wants to do the opposite. This company acts as though there is a driver surplus and they can take away benefits and conveniences that veteran drivers used to take for granted. Everyone has a threshold as to how they view fair and unfair treatment by an employer and it seems that for some, XPO has crossed the line into unfair treatment. I agree with you about rewriting the terms of your employment by force, I've said as much in the past. But this situation is an exception because our unasked for and unvolunteered for new employer seems to be ran by a douche bag who doesn't give a shyte about his workforce, whereas at least Conway, CCX for some of us, at least acted like they cared. If I ever quit this place and go to work for another non union carrier, I'm not going push to organize because I made the choice based on the job description, conditions and terms, and benefits that were handed me when I signed on. You talk about rewriting the terms of our employment by force, is that not the very thing XPO is doing since they became the new boss? Since the buyout, the options were stay or quit and some of the men found that unacceptable and have reached out for option number 3, the Teamsters.

Not all force is physical.
By implying that force was used and not being clear that force was not used seems to be deliberately misleading.

You seem to be intelligent enough to articulate your point without hinting at something that hasn't or didn't happen.

So , what is this force that isn't physical? Strikes? Picket lines? Flyers? Websites? Courts? Lawyers? Politicians? Money?

In most cases the corporation has the OVERWHELMING force.

Whether or not the Miami guys are getting screwed is not the issue. The fact they THINK they are getting screwed is what matters.

Sure, perception is reality, I get that. But you can't make everyone happy (especially in a group of drivers), and it would be ridiculous (and cost prohibitive) to try. From the company perspective, Miami and Philadelphia are outliers- not bellwethers, and I don't disagree with that view.

This company acts as though there is a driver surplus and they can take away benefits and conveniences that veteran drivers used to take for granted.

Do they though? What have we lost? 2 bereavement days (and not really, since the old policy of 5 days covered weekends)? We only lose vacation time if we leave. Healthcare costs are a national problem. We've gotten a raise every year. I just don't see the thievery.

You talk about rewriting the terms of our employment by force, is that not the very thing XPO is doing since they became the new boss?

It's their company!

By implying that force was used and not being clear that force was not used seems to be deliberately misleading.

Not at all. If you attempt to coerce the company into doing something it has clearly and firmly stated that it has no desire to do, what word would you use?

You know Gene, I'

Whether or not the Miami guys are getting screwed is not the issue. The fact they THINK they are getting screwed is what matters. And while you agreed with me that there comes a point in a man's life where changing jobs isn't a viable option, you also need to see other side of it. I don't know about you, but I didn't volunteer to work for XPO Logistics. XPO has a choice as did Conway to keep it real with the drivers, to keep us reasonably satisfied in an ever shrinking labor pool, but XPO wants to do the opposite. This company acts as though there is a driver surplus and they can take away benefits and conveniences that veteran drivers used to take for granted. Everyone has a threshold as to how they view fair and unfair treatment by an employer and it seems that for some, XPO has crossed the line into unfair treatment. I agree with you about rewriting the terms of your employment by force, I've said as much in the past. But this situation is an exception because our unasked for and unvolunteered for new employer seems to be ran by a douche bag who doesn't give a shyte about his workforce, whereas at least Conway, CCX for some of us, at least acted like they cared. If I ever quit this place and go to work for another non union carrier, I'm not going push to organize because I made the choice based on the job description, conditions and terms, and benefits that were handed me when I signed on. You talk about rewriting the terms of our employment by force, is that not the very thing XPO is doing since they became the new boss? Since the buyout, the options were stay or quit and some of the men found that unacceptable and have reached out for option number 3, the Teamsters.
At what point do you stop changing jobs because the company changed the rules and you didn't like them? Pretty soon you are old and unemployable, or considered a job jumper, why not make your current job a career instead of a job?

I get not changing jobs to a certain extent. However if you're not happy where you are ...Leave. unions are an outdated option. If you want real change contact local and state government. These companies operate within the law. If they don't hire an attorney. Same ol crybaby union boy crap.
If you only knew! I hate to make a come back remark with out information to back it up but maybe in the future I can. Sorry. If your content and this place works for you fine,but what about the hard working honest people that has worked here for years that has got screwed by this company. This company don't care what happens to you or your family. I will tell my story in time I just can't now. Been advised.

what word would you use?
You have your answer. You gave it. Coercion is a less misleading word you could have used.

What force is being used that isn't physical?

I'll be fair about it since you oftentimes defend Bradley Jacobs and XPO.

Those of you that defend unions an advocate for them AND work alongside you and I , would you ever advocate physical violence?

I'll go out on a limb and say as long as I've been on these boards that type of thing is not tolerated.

You put a lot of thought an effort into your posts most times and you even get the best of those you differ with from time to time. Implying that force is being used given how important most people's jobs are to them and their families is something you can avoid easily.

You have your answer. You gave it. Coercion is a less misleading word you could have used.

What force is being used that isn't physical?

The entire organizing campaign is non- physical force. I neither believe nor implied that anyone is advocating physical force against XPO or its employees, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop acting as though I did.

Many have left for greener pastures. What about the senior guys who have been with the company for 15, 20, 25 years. They don't want to start over and move to a flex board someplace else. Many like myself actually enjoy working at this company, but would like to see some changes with the way we are treated. I do not expect people like yourself to jump on the bandwagon if you are happy with your current situation. I'm happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones. For those of us who are unhappy, there is a solution. By the way, I don't know even one driver who could afford to hire an attorney to represent them in a ULP situation. The company knows that, hence their opposition to a union who would provide an attorney as part of the benefits of being a union member. Try to walk a mile in another man's shoes before you criticize their position.

I do. The company can and will change terms of employment as it wishes. Good for one but not the other?

What you fa
il to recognize is that companies buy influence whereas you cannot afford to

Only to watch your company hire lobbyists to get what they want from the government.
That's a good idea.