XPO | Walkabouts to Miami?

Some of you guys should really try to confirm the accuracy of what you are posting. The strike in Miami was a ULP strike with an unconditional return to work, which the company accepted. With respect to what was accomplished, we received our raises AND full compensation for back pay. Anyone who would prefer to work in an "at will" state, without the protection of a union contract is foolish, at least in my opinion. Your dues amount to 17.00 per week and the benefits are well worth it.
Well, your the first person from your barn to post anything. You were told not to post anything on social media about union activity. That said, I’m glad you got your back pay. What terms did you get in your ratified contract?

I have not been silenced, however, I like to be careful that whatever I post is fact and not fiction or rumor. We received the raises and back pay in exchange for dropping the ULP charge. Our contract is still pending and we continue the negotiations going forward. I am very cautiously optimistic that the company's new attorney is more willing to actually negotiate terms than the last. In addition, there are a few sites on Facebook dedicated to the XPO campaign. If the moderator allows it, I will post a link in the next post. I am willing to answer any relevant questions on the board. If I don't know the answer, I will try to get it for you.

I have not been silenced, however, I like to be careful that whatever I post is fact and not fiction or rumor. We received the raises and back pay in exchange for dropping the ULP charge. Our contract is still pending and we continue the negotiations going forward. I am very cautiously optimistic that the company's new attorney is more willing to actually negotiate terms than the last. In addition, there are a few sites on Facebook dedicated to the XPO campaign. If the moderator allows it, I will post a link in the next post. I am willing to answer any relevant questions on the board. If I don't know the answer, I will try to get it for you.
Good. I’m glad. Lots have questions about what’s going on, nice to have first hand info. Facebook links are not allowed.

Many have been waiting for more people with direct knowledge to come along to this site. Glad you are here. Try not to forget about us. I know it's hard to find time to spend on things like this a lot of times.

We were told by another truckingboards user that you only had 20 or less out of 90 drivers in support. And no contract in sight. Not very encouraging. Does your perspective offer anything different ?

Many have been waiting for more people with direct knowledge to come along to this site. Glad you are here. Try not to forget about us. I know it's hard to find time to spend on things like this a lot of times.

We were told by another truckingboards user that you only had 20 or less out of 90 drivers in support. And no contract in sight. Not very encouraging. Does your perspective offer anything different ?
Yes. There are 77 members in the bargaining unit, of which 16 are dockworkers, 8 are Line Haul and 53 are City P & D. There were about 27 on the line that day; 21 drivers and 6 dockworkers. These numbers may be off by 1 or 2, but accurate just the same. We are well past halfway to a contract, although I must admit that the outstanding economic proposals are the most difficult to negotiate. It's been 3 years since the first negotiating session and way too much time has passed, however, the company has retained a new attorney and based on his cooperation in settling the wage increases and back pay issue and comments he has made recently, I an encouraged that progress will be made in the coming months. Attorneys and Business Agents use various strategies in these negotiations and predicting an outcome would be a fools game, but I am encouraged.

Yes. There are 77 members in the bargaining unit, of which 16 are dockworkers, 8 are Line Haul and 53 are City P & D. There were about 27 on the line that day; 21 drivers and 6 dockworkers. These numbers may be off by 1 or 2, but accurate just the same. We are well past halfway to a contract, although I must admit that the outstanding economic proposals are the most difficult to negotiate. It's been 3 years since the first negotiating session and way too much time has passed, however, the company has retained a new attorney and based on his cooperation in settling the wage increases and back pay issue and comments he has made recently, I an encouraged that progress will be made in the coming months. Attorneys and Business Agents use various strategies in these negotiations and predicting an outcome would be a fools game, but I am encouraged.

Good luck with that. Hey how bout if you don't like the company you're working for, quit and find another job. Just sayin, free country you know. Nobody cares about your outdated union.

Good luck with that. Hey how bout if you don't like the company you're working for, quit and find another job. Just sayin, free country you know. Nobody cares about your outdated union.
Thankfully, it is a free country and when you research the union movement dating back to colonial times, you get a clearer picture of how American workers have been exploited by big business through the years. If you are happy with your situation, you have every right to status quo. However, if your barn decides to organize, and you decide that you won't take the higher wages or improved health care or job security, you may be the one looking for a new job. In any event, it seems that there are many drivers who do care about our "outdated union". Just read the thread.

Thankfully, it is a free country and when you research the union movement dating back to colonial times, you get a clearer picture of how American workers have been exploited by big business through the years. If you are happy with your situation, you have every right to status quo. However, if your barn decides to organize, and you decide that you won't take the higher wages or improved health care or job security, you may be the one looking for a new job. In any event, it seems that there are many drivers who do care about our "outdated union". Just read the thread.
Actually, I'm in the wrong thread. If you are interested in both sides of the issue, the XPO Union Thread is a much better place to voice your opinion.

You know Hader, I used to have that attitude as well, but I've been thinking a little bit about it and these guys in Miami and some terminals in the southern region have been getting screwed over pretty hard. There comes a point in a man's worklife where changing employers simply isn't an acceptable option. You're right in that it's a free country and that cuts both ways. People are free to throw their hands up at the company they work for and leave and they are equally free to stay on at that company and organize for collective bargaining. If it ever comes to your SIC, you have the right to vote "nay" and if that's what's in your heart, then I strongly encourage you to do so.

I hope you get overtime after 8.

We do NOT. In fact, we only get overtime after 50. Nice, right. I may be mistaken but, I believe that OT after 8 is only offered in states where state law mandates.
What exists now used to be regional companies. Only the southern region holds overtime until after 50 hours.

You know Hader, I used to have that attitude as well, but I've been thinking a little bit about it and these guys in Miami and some terminals in the southern region have been getting screwed over pretty hard.

Have they? Two thirds of the unit in Miami don't seem that fired up about it. Majority rules, as long as the majority wants to organize.

There comes a point in a man's worklife where changing employers simply isn't an acceptable option.

Completely agree. But I also don't think it's acceptable to rewrite the terms of your employment by force because you don't find it convenient to leave.