TForce | Watch out! UPS is watching you!

GPS is one thing but dispatch would need to have the software that tells him/her where each and every driver is. From what I have seen, they do not have that. All they have is a list of all the drivers and pick-ups needed to make. No 3D or 2D map showing little trailer icons, or longitude and latitude locations.

I was told by some friends at UPS that the corporate is watching every move that we make. Ever since the DIAD was introduced to us, Their engineers have been trying to figure out how to "Improvise" the situation. Just wait... We might be crying now, But the best is yet to come!!!

ok, coming from a dispatch supervisor here, i can tell you that no, the diads are not tracking and recording your GPS location. What you enter is what we see. But let me tell you how irritating it is when I send out a driver with 6 stops in a very close area and give him 4 pickups all within about 6 blocks. Then he complains. I go to lunch and find his truck parked in the back corner of a parking lot, i called the office to see what his diad was showing. he said he was moving stop to stop. You bet I sat on the hood of his truck waiting for him to get back. Its stealing company time and money. Is it really worth your job? If any of my drivers called me and said hey, i need a few minutes id give it to them in a second. Honesty goes a long way.

Two fifteen minute breaks? how did you get them we were told were not entitled to them cause it's not in the contract.

What state are you in? Some states have laws requiring rest breaks. Such state requirements will prevail over the silence of the FLSA on this subject.

Call your state labor office. Here is a link...
http://http://www.dol.gov/esa/contacts/state_of.htm

Hope that helps. As for me taking a 15 minute break, in this case, I choose to remain silent.:27:

and...

No, Im not stealing. Past pratice per se.

i just do my job. When I hired on in '93 I told the TM that I give an honest days work for an honest days pay. I've kept to that the whole time. I've taken a 10-15 minute break during most days,and noted it on the wheel choc....er..DIAD.
I know that that sounds hokey, but the TM and salesman have both pulled up to me in my area and had NOTHING to complain about,or write me up for.
I know that the majority of us have SAVED the co. millions in damage claims over the years.We have been SAFE and RESPONSIBLE to save on accident claims.
I also KNOW that we, the drivers, have provided real customer service and customer relations when the management,sales and corporate have failed miserably.
If the company wants to save money, stop paying salary and benefits to "safety"
guys to follow us around and try to catch us "stealing "time.

ok, coming from a dispatch supervisor here, i can tell you that no, the diads are not tracking and recording your GPS location. What you enter is what we see. But let me tell you how irritating it is when I send out a driver with 6 stops in a very close area and give him 4 pickups all within about 6 blocks. Then he complains. I go to lunch and find his truck parked in the back corner of a parking lot, i called the office to see what his diad was showing. he said he was moving stop to stop. You bet I sat on the hood of his truck waiting for him to get back. Its stealing company time and money. Is it really worth your job? If any of my drivers called me and said hey, i need a few minutes id give it to them in a second. Honesty goes a long way.

Dingo.. Your are right about that driver! That is stealing company time and he is just a "clock sucker". I believe that if you are working you should work. If you want to be lazy, Go home and do it!! Myself, I like to get the day over with as fast as I can so I can get home and relax.

Now on the DIAD and GPS... The UPS Freight company as of now does not have the software for the computers to enjoy the fine capabilities of tracking the drivers But.... Corporate UPS does!!! For how many times that some people tell you they don't.... They do!!! UPS is not stupid, They know what is going on with every driver that has a DIAD. That machine is always busy sending and receiving info in between stops, at stops, stopped, moving, sitting and standing. Find one of their "followers" and look at what is inside their vehicle... Look at the locator that they have with them. It's not a joke boys and girls. They are for real and they are getting better at this everyday.

I know at my terminal the safety guy will go out and follow drivers every few weeks to see if they are following the smith training/company procedures...I believe its b.s., I thought we were all grown ups, personally one of the greatest benefits of being a truck driver is the independence that comes with being in the truck alone all day without someone looking over your shoulder. If drivers can't handle the independence, they need to seek other employment b/c if gives us all a bad rap.

I know at my terminal the safety guy will go out and follow drivers every few weeks to see if they are following the smith training/company procedures...I believe its b.s., I thought we were all grown ups, personally one of the greatest benefits of being a truck driver is the independence that comes with being in the truck alone all day without someone looking over your shoulder. If drivers can't handle the independence, they need to seek other employment b/c if gives us all a bad rap.

Is the safety guy the safety director? Or is he the Non Management Co-Chair of the Safety Committee?? If he is a driver just like most of us here, Complain to the union that there is a RAT ratting you guys out. They will make sure that he is taken care of.

glad the reason why the trainers are doing the ride along is because of accidents. I know of one just recently. Yes the company has eyes on us. Realy it is the insurance company that is used, they sit at Donkin-D and spy and report.

glad the reason why the trainers are doing the ride along is because of accidents. I know of one just recently. Yes the company has eyes on us. Realy it is the insurance company that is used, they sit at Donkin-D and spy and report.
You don't think the trainers job is to report back to management after the ride along?

One would think that a wannabe steward (and temporary steward) would have an issue with a brother ratting out a brother.....or sister depending on which one of you this is.

:popcorn:

Goosen1, this person is a driver, but head of our safety commitee, also one of a few people at our terminal that chose not to sign a teamster card...a known rat by many of us

Before I retired this spring I was a safety trainer from just after becoming rebranded from Overnite to becoming official big brown clowns.
Well anytime I had to either train the smith system, on a newbie,or do a ride along for any crash follow-ups.
I was required to hand in a written report of the drivers driving habits if they were good,or bad.
If I saw an area that need improvement I was to bring that out in that report recommending the driver get with the program.

I always was very truthfull,and went over everything with the driver before I gave my TM the report.
Then he ,and the driver would have their little chat.

If there were some serious flaws in their driving I also had to sit in on the chat,so the driver couldn't fabricate a story about me being unfair to them.

Oh yes I was between a regular driver,and management with a lot of extra resposibilty,and not one single cent extra in my pay check.

I'm very happy being retired,now everyday is like having a paid vacation.
Yes I'm loving it.
I wish all of my co-workers well,as I know the UPS incentive policy is still being applied.
"Do what your told,or get fired"

You don't think the trainers job is to report back to management after the ride along?

One would think that a wannabe steward (and temporary steward) would have an issue with a brother ratting out a brother.....or sister depending on which one of you this is.

:popcorn:

One of our trainers is one of our stewards.He won't rat on another brother. I just don't think the other one would either. The TM has asked other guys,including myself,about fellow workers and suddenly I no speak English.

Goosen1, this person is a driver, but head of our safety commitee, also one of a few people at our terminal that chose not to sign a teamster card...a known rat by many of us

I was the head of the safety committee and I did not like where it was heading. The TM wanted us to do his dirty work but we all refused to do so. The committee was trained to find safety related problem and possible problems.. When they found a issue, We were to find out how it became an issue and discuss within the committee on how to not have it happen again. Most TMs and their cronies are using this to their advantage. When we reported these issues with the management, We were told not to use names at all, But it has evolved to where it is a point that the committees have been brainwashed to give names... I have talked to UPS parcels committees and use this to their advantage for things that are safety related and not to be rats. What we need to do as union workers is find out who these RATS are and report them to the BA and let the union take over. We don't need the drama anymore, It is really getting old.

I was told that UPS company policy is that if a driver is followed there must be 2 people in the vehicle. One to drive and one to take notes. It's a matter of safety.

One of the parcel drivers I see everyday is a shop steward. He was written up for buying a coke! Had a full cart at the mall on a hot day and stopped for a minute to buy a coke out of a machine. The TM's wife saw him and reported his 'stealing from the company!'

I'd tell you where he told the TM to shove it, but it might get me in trouble....

This same guy told me two years ago, before freight got diads, that they were starting to track the drivers. The union had to 'okay' this.

I was told that UPS company policy is that if a driver is followed there must be 2 people in the vehicle. One to drive and one to take notes. It's a matter of safety.

One of the parcel drivers I see everyday is a shop steward. He was written up for buying a coke! Had a full cart at the mall on a hot day and stopped for a minute to buy a coke out of a machine. The TM's wife saw him and reported his 'stealing from the company!'

I'd tell you where he told the TM to shove it, but it might get me in trouble....

This same guy told me two years ago, before freight got diads, that they were starting to track the drivers. The union had to 'okay' this.

They can track drivers all they like, but they cannot use the diad for disciplinary pourposes it's in the contract. So GPS it, who cares.

Before they put GPS in Diads they have to notify the union.

As Accelerator mentioned, they can't use GPS against you, read the contract.

They can track drivers all they like, but they cannot use the diad for disciplinary pourposes it's in the contract. So GPS it, who cares.

I'd hate to say it but:

Article 23
Time Sheets, Time Clocks, and Video Cameras

Section 3. Computer Tracking Devices
No employee shall be disciplined solely based upon information derived from a GPS or any other technology enhancements or devices unless the employee engages in conduct creating imminent danger to other employees or the general public or other conduct such as dishonesty or recklessness resulting in a serious accident.

Dishonesty

Sorry guys... they got us!!!