TForce | what are some good reasons not to have the union at UPSF?

hugnlug said:
Mike01 said:
All questions that really have no bearing on my original arguement of that UPS is now taking packages, turning them into 'freight', and subcontracting the work to a non-Union company. Same packages, same shippers, but now the work, instead of being done by Teamsters, is being done by UPS's non-Union workforce. But it is not being done so much by the shippers and the choices they make. It's being done by our own sales force.

Many years ago, UPS asked and pleaded with shippers to take "freight" off the pallets and feed the Brown machine. As novel as the hundreth weight program was at the time, it did have some major drawbacks. Damages, shortages, etc. Now sales are telling customers to put it back on wood and we'll haul it. Like I said, thats Corporate talking. We are by legal terms, a UPS company, not sub-contractors. Subs do not work for the corporation. We have no say in what we haul. And as far as the Teamsters addressing this situation immediately. I can't see how organizing us is going to halt these business practices. I guess when we do become union, if there is any kind of layoff due to lack of work (very unlikely) at UPS, you can get on over here. Just tell all the brothers and sisters at Brown this. We appreciate being given a second life with UPS. And most are entertaining if not bitting at the bit to join the IBT. But at the same time, do not get P.O.'d if things take time to manifest. Afterall our Father was a good ole boy hayseed, and our new Step Dad is Dracula!!! We will get'r'done and become Teamsters and hopefully opened the door for FDX, CNF, R&L and ODFL to follow suit.
I'D just like to think of 'O' as Chucky,and were the 'SEED OF CHUCKY':biglaugh: my names CHUCKY,WANNA PLAY!:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

hugnlug said:
I have the honor of doing a lot of little shipments with a 48. One day I had 22 stops on and it took up only half a trailer. My braindead supervisor wanted me to take a bunch more. He said I couldn't leave with half a trailer. I told him loaded up. They come off one at a time and tomorrows another day for the crap I won't do today. He walked away pissed. I guess he thought the stuff unloaded itself!!
ME & APOSTOLIC knew an old guy from HALLS MOTOR TRANSIT that had that same famous saying,'tommorows another day':nutkick: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Mike01 said:
Gee, and here we were assured that UPSF would not be delivering packages and taking work from UPS.

Why does this not surprise me that this is exactly what is happening.
cause they're management,and every time their lips move,they're lying:nutkick: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

skeeterhawk said:
i ordered some tools recently from northern tools. two weeks later i still haven't received my tools. i called the company and the lady entered the ups tracking number. they were delivered to some place in new york!!!!! that's the real ups!! i live in memphis tn. now, how did that happen.
same way overnite put freight for BROOKLYN,NY and ended up in L.A.,typical OVERNITE WAY.:nutkick: :nutkick: :chairshot:
:biglaugh:

BUTTONMAN74 said:
SKEET,how do you figure 'they'll eat our lunch'?,GET RID OF THE MISFITS IN MANAGMENT AT 'o', AND SOME OF THE DEAD WEIGHT SLUGS,and run it like a real company.things will be excellent.all the 'restrictive work rules' are exactly what they are,a myty by big 'O's' MANEGMENT.how come companies are thriving & making it,especially in this economy,under such rules.companies like YELLOW,ROADWAY,NEW PENN,HOLLAND,REDDAWAY,BESTWAY,ABF,AND ALVAN. they got smarter & learned how to change with times and adapt.something 'O's' MANEGMENT could never,and would never do.'BROWN'S' calling the shot's now,and everyone better believe that heads will roll I :cool: :bgroovy: :wavey: faxed copies of the UPS FREIGHT'S 'employee handbook' to the INTERNATIONAL. don't be to surprised if SUGGS & pals 'GET RETIRED' in a little bit down the road.the part about 'UPS FREIGHT'S PHILOSOPHY REGARDING UNION'S' & 'at wil employement' are being brought up at the early negoitiations with UPS right now.one has to wonder if ESKEW knew of this,if so,okay'd it,to then use it as an excuse to dump SUGG'S and co. for breach of contract.or if ESKEW really does'nt know anything of it.I'M sure either way,it's gonna cause friction,and he will claim ignorance either way.the woman in the reasearch department said she never saw an employee handbook 'regarding a companies philosaphy on unions'.she said it was like a cult,someone like JIM JONES brainwashing people,how true it is.

If you would make more post like this people might take you more serious. I agree with some of what you say but still waiting to see what UPSF does. I think it is only right to give them a chance and see if they do right by us.
If not then we can look at the teamsters. But like Skeeterhawk said it there is a lot of hate and discontent most are going to be turned off by the teamsters.

steve5 said:
You guys are the smart ones up there, us down south and everywhere else are on the take it or leave it pay plan.

Yes and I noticed you didn't say what you were paid for all that. UPSF will correct the time and a half and I bet will do away with waiting on delay.

So if being paid less to be teamsters is your bag so be it. At least you are a teamster.

Skeeter said:
If you would make more post like this people might take you more serious. I agree with some of what you say but still waiting to see what UPSF does. I think it is only right to give them a chance and see if they do right by us.
If not then we can look at the teamsters. But like Skeeterhawk said it there is a lot of hate and discontent most are going to be turned off by the teamsters.
YA,but SKEET,ain't no hate or discontent coming from the TEAMSTERS,only management,as always gonna change.don't owe them'a chance'anymore than 'O',JIM DOUGLAS,TOM BOSWELL,LEO SUGGS.only chance I see to be given,all others been exhausted,is........TEAMSTERS':tribehasspoken: :tribehasspoken: :bgroovy: :tribehasspoken:

Yes but Button you forget our new management is UPS. I say give them a chance. The management we have will do what they want or its out the door. I already see major changes at my barn.

You right I don't owe Overnite anything. I think I gave much more than I got back. There were a lot of things like the way they done us with delay and over time I never liked.

Like I said in the past Overnite would probably be union now if not for Hoffa and his methods.

Skeeter said:
Yes but Button you forget our new management is UPS. I say give them a chance. The management we have will do what they want or its out the door. I already see major changes at my barn.

You right I don't owe Overnite anything. I think I gave much more than I got back. There were a lot of things like the way they done us with delay and over time I never liked.

Like I said in the past Overnite would probably be union now if not for Hoffa and his methods.
why was it HOFFA thts the reason you blame overnite for not being union today.blame LEO 7 'O'S management,their hitlist's of union supporters,which,with unholy glee,they loved to whittle down with wrongfull,unlawfull discharges.and blame the NLRB for being typical government,not doing their jobs,enforcing the nations law. HOFFA did what he had to,after so many discharges and:BS: ,something had to be done besides sitting back and doing nothing,action needed to be taken. do we all wish things could have been different,hell yes.but it ain't,did'nt.let's all unite,pick up the pieces,everyone starts out with a clean slate,and lets move forword,and win.:tribehasspoken: :cool:

Skeeter said:
Yes and I noticed you didn't say what you were paid for all that. UPSF will correct the time and a half and I bet will do away with waiting on delay.

So if being paid less to be teamsters is your bag so be it. At least you are a teamster.
I'm not sure I understand the first part of your question "what you were paid for all of that". Please explain. Next how do you know that they will correct any time and/or money they took, unless you have something on paper that says so ( and I herd it from someone does not count) As for the delay I'll belive it when I see that. Now the last part has me scratching my head, was this ment to be a joke, were you kidding. I hope you were. Every thing I post I do respectfully.

BUTTONMAN74 said:
SKEET,how do you figure 'they'll eat our lunch'?,GET RID OF THE MISFITS IN MANAGMENT AT 'o', AND SOME OF THE DEAD WEIGHT SLUGS,and run it like a real company.things will be excellent.all the 'restrictive work rules' are exactly what they are,a myty by big 'O's' MANEGMENT.how come companies are thriving & making it,especially in this economy,under such rules.companies like YELLOW,ROADWAY,NEW PENN,HOLLAND,REDDAWAY,BESTWAY,ABF,AND ALVAN. they got smarter & learned how to change with times and adapt.something 'O's' MANEGMENT could never,and would never do.'BROWN'S' calling the shot's now,and everyone better believe that heads will roll I :cool: :bgroovy: :wavey: faxed copies of the UPS FREIGHT'S 'employee handbook' to the INTERNATIONAL. don't be to surprised if SUGGS & pals 'GET RETIRED' in a little bit down the road.the part about 'UPS FREIGHT'S PHILOSOPHY REGARDING UNION'S' & 'at wil employement' are being brought up at the early negoitiations with UPS right now.one has to wonder if ESKEW knew of this,if so,okay'd it,to then use it as an excuse to dump SUGG'S and co. for breach of contract.or if ESKEW really does'nt know anything of it.I'M sure either way,it's gonna cause friction,and he will claim ignorance either way.the woman in the reasearch department said she never saw an employee handbook 'regarding a companies philosaphy on unions'.she said it was like a cult,someone like JIM JONES brainwashing people,how true it is.
Outstanding initiative Button!! Be proactive instead of reactive!! :bgroovy:

Skeeter said:

Skeet, How can you have so much faith in the new UPSF taking care of you and changing the new policy they just set forth? They bought us last August and have been working over this plan for months. The MC side has only seen cuts since the new Edge conversion. We used to get paid delay, wait, breakdown, etc. all at regular rate until the conversion, now we have a BIG cut in hours and rate. Maybe you guys on the O side are used to giving up hours, but for us over here, it sucks. We see things first hand going back instead of forward. I don't see UPSF giving us back what they just took away without some sort of incentive (ie: a union contract) telling them they need to.

Also, being a UPS subsidiary instead of a sub-contractor, they can get us to haul the UPS freight for less. I personally have a bad taste taking away from the UPS guys what they worked so hard for, just to save the Company some money. So, do you think the customer rates went down? or do you just think there are bigger bonuses for the big guys (management) keeping the union at bay (making promises so we keep the wait-n-see attitude).

Management keeps telling us we are one big happy family. The reality is there is #1 UPS (supported by the teamsters), #2 UPSF/O at a different scale, #3 UPSF/MC at another scale, and #4 UPSF/MC-Reno at yet another scale. (And by the way the new Employee Policy & Rule books were not even sent to Reno, they don't apply to them.)

Although I didn't read every post ,I did read most and what I can see most is the fact that most of you want the union,even those that won't admit it.Now to the point ..UPS will not fight the union and will come to a quick settlement as everyone on this board has ignored..:duh: 2007 will be there 100th anniversary and they do not want any labor problems interfering ..You guys will get what you want period.that is why the ups parcel contract went for the extra year:bgroovy: :bgroovy:and just like a few guys have posted the teamsters aren't perfect but at least we know what we are getting........CRAZY

stldude44 said:
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy either, but there really aren't any good reasons to not belong to a Union.......there are only anti-Union talking points that benefit Management only. I don't know why people settle for what Mgmt. will give them unless it's the very best in their line of work...and even then they can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. From what I've learned here about alot of things at O and what I know from the X-O guys that Yellow has hired, I really can't imagine what they tell you guys to make some of you want to resist the Teamsters so bad. It all seems like an easy choice to me......settle for what they'll give you or have a say in what you'll get and not have to worry about what your supervisor thinks of your choice.
i work on the dock at UPS freight and managment has told us that all the teamsters want is your money and the pension is broke and if we talk about the union we will be fired. ..that is REASON enough to ''BRING IN THE HORSE''

mud-flap said:
.....and if we talk about the union we will be fired. ..

Get a witness to that statement.... in fact get several witnesses..... and file labor charges against the supervisor......

OH my i guess everyone is gonna get fired because its a issue everywhere and talked about everywhere either pro union or anti union ......GOOD ONE.

mud-flap said:
i work on the dock at UPS freight and managment has told us that all the teamsters want is your money and the pension is broke and if we talk about the union we will be fired. ..that is REASON enough to ''BRING IN THE HORSE''

According to Federal Law, an employer cannot:
Fire, punish, intimidate, or coerce employees seeking to organize or join a union
Threaten to close the facility or lay off employees if they organize a union

Tell employees that unionization will take away benefits and privileges currently in place.

Bribe employees to vote against the union, or promise other benefits or privileges in order to influence their vote

Ask about union activities, how employees intend to vote, or if they have signed a union card

I'll let you all know how I feel about union or nonunion after I get my packet in the mail. It's starting to heat up around here.

Lets see if Hoffa will kill it again...

coming from a non union co, let me tell you the difference is astounding/ much happier here/ and its only been 10mos/ was 20 yrs at large auto nd truck parts manufacturer/ no raise the last 6yrs and ins was up to 120$ a week/ also had to give up 1st 2hrs at every stop and drop/sometimes 3-6hrs a day/ sad thing about it was the laughing and snickering the dispatchers gave you all the time about how much fun we were having now eh?
my only regrets are why did it take me so long to smartin up????

ghostrider said:
coming from a non union co, let me tell you the difference is astounding/ much happier here/ and its only been 10mos/ was 20 yrs at large auto nd truck parts manufacturer/ no raise the last 6yrs and ins was up to 120$ a week/ also had to give up 1st 2hrs at every stop and drop/sometimes 3-6hrs a day/ sad thing about it was the laughing and snickering the dispatchers gave you all the time about how much fun we were having now eh?
my only regrets are why did it take me so long to smartin up????
Ghostrider, great post. Some of us take for granted our company wages and benefits and are happy and content with what the company says they can afford to provide. Others see a slightly different picture where the wages and benefits could and should be improved because of our new good fortune. Thus like you seeking a greener pasture, many of us see one too by organizing. So please keep an open mind to both sides and ask questions. I'm sure you'll figure it out since you made it to this pasture.