ABF | What the non union carriers think of us at ABF.

Docker - at the end of the day, does it matter that I work at the GO in lower level management? I can assure you that I am in the middle of the road, if not below the average ABF (union or non) salary. Earlier in this thread, I provided a few items that I believe to be a priority for ABF’s success. I didn’t sign up at anyone’s request, and I don’t have aspirations to “hi-jack” this forum. I have witnessed a once prosperous company steadily decline over the previous four years. I have enjoyed my career at ABF, and I am as concerned as anyone about the future of the company.

To specifically address your comments: I don’t have an argument for/against ABC/ABF executive level pay. Large corporations around the world have always had historically large compensation packages. Teamsters have set a precedence and have worked for years to better the industry, but the sector climate has evolved. What worked 20 years ago simply doesn’t work now in this environment. I understand that nobody wants change but without it, how is ABF and the Union going to survive? ABF and YRC are at the very bottom with regards to growth and income. ABF has to modify its cost structure to be a player in this game, and it’s that simple.

I enjoy the benefits of having a decent income in a town where I am comfortable. I don’t like thinking about moving my family to another location just to chase a job. I am not disrespectful and have no hidden agenda. I am simply providing my thoughts on what ABF and the Union need to accomplish to ensure survival. If you and Muler want me to leave this forum, then I will. I don’t have all ( if any) of the answers, but I am as concerned as you.

By the way, we didn’t all get together at the GO to develop the DVD. 95% of the GO consists of regular people with average salaries, and I belong to that category.
You don't have to leave. Everyone's opinion is allowed to be heard here. But you must also be willing to hear what others have to say.

For your viewing enjoyment.

(1) Includes $18.0 million in contributions to the Company's nonunion
pension plan for 2012.

Arkansas Best Corporation Announces Third Quarter 2012 Results - WSJ.com

Here is another one for you Brothers. Notice the statement that ABF sometimes uses a GAAP and then other times it uses a NON GAAP.(Generally approved accounting practice)

ARKANSAS BEST CORPORATION
RECONCILIATIONS OF GAAP TO NON-GAAP FINANCIAL MEASURES

WHY? YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

YRC Freight is a subsidiary of the parent company YRC and includes other more profitable holding like YRC regional. For the 3Q2012 YRC had an operating ratio of 97.8. YRC Worldwide Reports Second Consecutive Quarter of Positive Operating Income; Regional Transportation Delivers a 93.5 Operating Ratio - MarketWatch

ABF had an operating ratio of 98.1 3Q2012. (look at page 10) http://arkbest.com/news/pr/PDF/2012/3Q_12_Earnings_Release.pdf

Vitran. Seriously, Vitran. You call them our competition. I don't even know what their trucks look like. I won't even take the time to see how small this company is by looking at their revenues. So no, you have not backed up your statement. YRC has a better operating percentage than ABF and freaking Vitran. Please list a company we have heard of.
You are the one that said we were the worst and you were WRONG as you normally are.

HEY LOOK THE SKY STILL HAS NOT FALLEN!

As you can see Brothers the OR that the sky is falling brother post is a consolidated OR meaning we are paying for the Panther charges and all the other ABC companies are on the OR. Meaning it cost Millions for the Panther Deal and we paid it and still turned a profit. Go to the link Brothers and you will see that ABF as a whole is not doing bad.

1) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's largest
subsidiary, ABF Freight System, Inc.(R) .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's expedited

services operating as Panther Expedited Services, Inc. for the period of June 16 to
September 30, 2012.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(3) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's transportation
brokerage services operating as FreightValue(R) .
(4) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's roadside
vehicle assistance and commercial equipment services subsidiary FleetNet America,
Inc.
(5) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's subsidiaries
Albert Companies, Inc. and Moving Solutions, Inc. which provide services to the
consumer, corporate, and military household goods moving market.

You are the one that said we were the worst and you were WRONG as you normally are.

HEY LOOK THE SKY STILL HAS NOT FALLEN!
I think everyone here is able to see the weakness of your argument when you have to rely upon Vitran. Every other company we compete against had a better operating ratio in the 3Q12. That includes, Fedex, Conway, Old Dominion, UPS, and YRC. This is our competition. You're better than this Muler. Really, Vitran.

As you can see Brothers the OR that the sky is falling brother post is a consolidated OR meaning we are paying for the Panther charges and all the other ABC companies are on the OR. Meaning it cost Millions for the Panther Deal and we paid it and still turned a profit. Go to the link Brothers and you will see that ABF as a whole is not doing bad.

1) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's largest
subsidiary, ABF Freight System, Inc.(R) .
(2) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's expedited

services operating as Panther Expedited Services, Inc. for the period of June 16 to
September 30, 2012.
(3) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's transportation
brokerage services operating as FreightValue(R) .
(4) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's roadside
vehicle assistance and commercial equipment services subsidiary FleetNet America,
Inc.
(5) This segment includes the results of operations of Arkansas Best's subsidiaries
Albert Companies, Inc. and Moving Solutions, Inc. which provide services to the
consumer, corporate, and military household goods moving market.

This isn't a crowd interested in breaking down a P and L statement. However, I will agree with your greater point, ABC is increasing in asset size from the purchase of non-union companies. And I will ask you again, why do you think they are doing this? (2nd Request)

Papajohn - I believe that the current pension plan is unsustainable without government intervention and unfortunately, our issue is not a congressional topic of much interest. Judy has spoken at a hearing and many high level company/union reps have attempted to raise awareness; however, government involvement is unlikely at this time. If the government would grant amnesty to ABF and YRC concerning the “orphans” then our cost structure would immediately improve upwards of $50 -60 million. This alone would allow ABF the flexibility we (all) covet but again, it doesn’t sound likely. We all know that this is not our fault, but it has become our nightmare. I am hesitant to guess on how a new pension/retirement plan would be structured, but I know that top Union and ABF officials are paid extremely well to collaborate and provide us with cost effective options that we can accept. I don’t expect you guys to take a cut unless we take a cut…bottom line. Leadership (both sides) are “experts” in negotiations and contracts, so I am nervously optimistic that the two sides can provide a suitable answer to the pension problems.

Docker/Muler - Thanks. My statements may be off base from time to time, but I will never intentionally “smoke screen” the truth. And yes, it is critical to obtain the thoughts and opinions of the Union employees, especially the guys who are passionate about their careers. We are all in this together…same team.

I think everyone here is able to see the weakness of your argument when you have to rely upon Vitran. Every other company we compete against had a better operating ratio in the 3Q12. That includes, Fedex, Conway, Old Dominion, UPS, and YRC. This is our competition. You're better than this Muler. Really, Vitran.
If you can't read the SEC filing for the third quarter results and see we spent over 100 MILLION DOLLARS on and for other subsidiaries of ABC then you will never understand who really had the best OR. Now do you understand. The Vitran post was to try and make you see that your post that ABF HAD THE WORST OR was not TRUE! And it did prove that. And we did have a better or than yrc and that link proves it. By the way you still did not post the dollar amount that yrc freight profited. 2nd request.

Papajohn - I believe that the current pension plan is unsustainable without government intervention and unfortunately, our issue is not a congressional topic of much interest. Judy has spoken at a hearing and many high level company/union reps have attempted to raise awareness; however, government involvement is unlikely at this time. If the government would grant amnesty to ABF and YRC concerning the “orphans” then our cost structure would immediately improve upwards of $50 -60 million. This alone would allow ABF the flexibility we (all) covet but again, it doesn’t sound likely. We all know that this is not our fault, but it has become our nightmare. I am hesitant to guess on how a new pension/retirement plan would be structured, but I know that top Union and ABF officials are paid extremely well to collaborate and provide us with cost effective options that we can accept. I don’t expect you guys to take a cut unless we take a cut…bottom line. Leadership (both sides) are “experts” in negotiations and contracts, so I am nervously optimistic that the two sides can provide a suitable answer to the pension problems.

Docker/Muler - Thanks. My statements may be off base from time to time, but I will never intentionally “smoke screen” the truth. And yes, it is critical to obtain the thoughts and opinions of the Union employees, especially the guys who are passionate about their careers. We are all in this together…same team.
I do believe that CSPF was granted the rights to go forward with the same partition plan that UPS enjoys in the NEPF. It is available to ABF at this time. It would lower their liabilities considerably. So I think any other talk about the pension fund would really be non productive. ABF has a chance to act and they should see that the NEPF plan would serve as their best chance.

This isn't a crowd interested in breaking down a P and L statement. However, I will agree with your greater point, ABC is increasing in asset size from the purchase of non-union companies. And I will ask you again, why do you think they are doing this? (2nd Request)
Your way off thinking that they will replace us in the near future. I will give you a homework assignment. There is an Article in the NMFA that would not allow this your mission is to find it and post it. I will be checking to see how long it takes you.

And I will ask you once again...why did you come to work for ABF if you consider it such a loser...when FedEx or ConWay would of been a much better fit for you?

Really to tell you the truth I believe that the IBT can not legally negotiate an ABF National Contract. If you remember they received a 20% ownership through the yrc MOU. How could a competitor of ABF Teamsters be our representatives in a labor contract? By them becoming part owners of yrc they really I believe removed themselves from out contract talks. I have heard that if this keeps up we can expect another LAWSUIT to be filed.
Just think about it we have one of our biggest competitors that is also looking at a 750 MILLION DOLLAR lawsuit pending from the company they are in contract talks with. And we just recently found out that the IBT has allowed ABF to BREAK OUR CONTRACT AND THE BEG BACK NO VOTE! And now we the ABF Teamsters are to trust these parties in coming up with a fair and just contract. THEY HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! I have spoken to people that are willing to help fund a suit if and when the IBT and the yrc representatives fail us. This contract should be all ABF people nobody else. Like I said a long time ago the greedy will over step their bounds and it will get real ugly. YOUR JUST POINTING OUT THE FACTS BROTHER ALWAYS PS It would be like one of us doing the negotiating for our company executives compensation package would they agree to that. I would be willing to handle the talks for them.. JUST TRUST US!

As we can see in this post you believe that you are Superior to the (AS YOU PUT CROWD). I will tell you they are a lot smarter than you think. We voted no kept our money and it was the right decision. So I think we are OK in the brain area. YOUR HURT FEELINGS BROTHER ALWAYS!

Really to tell you the truth I believe that the IBT can not legally negotiate an ABF National Contract. If you remember they received a 20% ownership through the yrc MOU. How could a competitor of ABF Teamsters be our representatives in a labor contract? By them becoming part owners of yrc they really I believe removed themselves from out contract talks. I have heard that if this keeps up we can expect another LAWSUIT to be filed.
Just think about it we have one of our biggest competitors that is also looking at a 750 MILLION DOLLAR lawsuit pending from the company they are in contract talks with. And we just recently found out that the IBT has allowed ABF to BREAK OUR CONTRACT AND THE BEG BACK NO VOTE! And now we the ABF Teamsters are to trust these parties in coming up with a fair and just contract. THEY HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING! I have spoken to people that are willing to help fund a suit if and when the IBT and the yrc representatives fail us. This contract should be all ABF people nobody else. Like I said a long time ago the greedy will over step their bounds and it will get real ugly. YOUR JUST POINTING OUT THE FACTS BROTHER ALWAYS PS It would be like one of us doing the negotiating for our company executives compensation package would they agree to that. I would be willing to handle the talks for them.. JUST TRUST US!

There are three words that come to mind here:

Conflict of Interest - A conflict of interest (COI) occurs when an individual or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation for an act in the other.

The presence of a conflict of interest is independent from the execution of impropriety. Therefore, a conflict of interest can be discovered and voluntarily defused before any corruption occurs. A widely used definition is: “A conflict of interest is a set of circumstances that creates a risk that professional judgment or actions regarding a primary interest will be unduly influenced by a secondary interest.”[1] Primary interest refers to the principal goals of the profession or activity, such as the protection of clients, the health of patients, the integrity of research, and the duties of public office. Secondary interest includes not only financial gain but also such motives as the desire for professional advancement and the wish to do favors for family and friends, but conflict of interest rules usually focus on financial relationships because they are relatively more objective, fungible, and quantifiable. The secondary interests are not treated as wrong in themselves, but become objectionable when they are believed to have greater weight than the primary interests. The conflict in a conflict of interest exists whether or not a particular individual is actually influenced by the secondary interest. It exists if the circumstances are reasonably believed (on the basis of past experience and objective evidence) to create a risk that decisions may be unduly influenced by secondary interests.

Conflict of interest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muler/Docker - I agree with both of your posts. Muler mentioned that the contract negotiations should only be handled by ABF employees, and I strongly agree. This is the only way to ensure that ABF and the employees are represented in the sole, best interest of ABF and the employees.

Muler/Docker - I agree with both of your posts. Muler mentioned that the contract negotiations should only be handled by ABF employees, and I strongly agree. This is the only way to ensure that ABF and the employees are represented in the sole, best interest of ABF and the employees.

Well...that's a good start...we agree on who should be doing the negotiating...now it's off to the negotiation itself...lol

Well...that's a good start...we agree on who should be doing the negotiating...now it's off to the negotiation itself...lol

I can see it now lead negotiations being done by Muler and Docker for ABF Teamsters, Front Page Headlines Abf Teamsters and company get best contract ever, 30 and out for everyone............................................. Secretary in every truck................................heated forklifts

I can see it now lead negotiations being done by Muler and Docker for ABF Teamsters, Front Page Headlines Abf Teamsters and company get best contract ever, 30 and out for everyone............................................. Secretary in every truck................................heated forklifts

Now...that's a good one right there Papajohn...so I can assume that you will be voting yes...lol

As we can see in this post you believe that you are Superior to the (AS YOU PUT CROWD). I will tell you they are a lot smarter than you think. We voted no kept our money and it was the right decision. So I think we are OK in the brain area. YOUR HURT FEELINGS BROTHER ALWAYS!

So this is a crowd interested in breaking down a P&L Statement?

Again, why do you think ABF is putting assets into ABC? (3rd Request)

i work at conway and it puts food on my table and clothing on my kids backs.it is a job that pays me well ,i dont hate the union ltls i have many friends working for the union carriers i have no ill will towards them as they are good people,whether a man provides for his family with the backing of a contract bears no weight with me,i simply dont care.i dont care what the guys at the top make ,i only care what i make,i goto factories each day where people make half what i do in jobs the hate and i actually enjoy my job,so i guess i am lucky..

Turbo, I notice that you harbor no resentment to ABF or the Teamsters in general. I do hope that you & your coworkers realize that ABF is largely responsible for you making the wages & benefits you do. Without us you would be earning about what the factory workers do that you mentioned. Conway & other nonunion companies pay only as much as they have to in order to attract & retain good employees like you.