Yellow | Word on a major Layoff?

309 working over 100 men on x-mas eve plus they decided they can post overtime yard bids because the 29 laid off men are not spotter qualified whats to stop them from posting yard bids and then bumping them to the dockto avoid calling a laid off man?

what if the laid off guys want to get qualified?

309 working over 100 men on x-mas eve plus they decided they can post overtime yard bids because the 29 laid off men are not spotter qualified whats to stop them from posting yard bids and then bumping them to the dockto avoid calling a laid off man?

what if the laid off guys want to get qualified?

layoffs ?

wow this just amazes me that a company this size can't find the work to keep there drivers working.but i will tell you this .as long as we keep reading about this stuff happening to u guys there will never be a union at Vitran or Pjax. yep it is slow right now but we are still working every guy 45 -50 hours a week.now don't start ranting and raving that we don't make no money or get overtime because we do city guys making 22 an hour straight time 33 an hour overtime.are u guys sure that there isn't more to the reason for the layoffs?

I was told by my TM during last winters phony layoffs that it was done to make everything look rosy to the stockholders,(pull the rug over their eyes) Fact is that our barn recorded the worst OR with all the O/T and loss of customers. We had a guy on layoff all summer, but he worked 50-60 hrs. a week.

What's wrong with that picture?

Since I haven't seen any 135 posters....

I'm going to say that what I see at 135 is kinda scary. We're the only ones I know of that have 30 laid off at the moment, 16 on 12/07/07 and 14 more on 12/16/07 (effective dates). It seems that 10 more may get the axe before it's all said and done (from previous posts), and it's been said they are running foreign drivers all around us to get freight into our terminals WE are supposed to service.

This, along with Yellow's, I'm sorry, "YRC"'s announcement that they are making "significant cuts in redundant area's", has me slightly concerned with 135's future, as well as the rest of the company. For 75 years, this company was the biggest company out there, and now, we aren't even hardly recognizable as a freight company. If you look at UPS, you immediately realize how to ship through them, whereas Roadway, you don't. Couple that with poor earnings so far this year (First quarter, 2007), and we're looking at a BAD start, (Roadway only posted $1.2 million in sales). Those numbers are very dangerous compared with ODFL, UPS, FedEx, and other known LTL carriers.

I think it may be time to bale out of the Roadway "Your Way - Their way" tradition, and seek another better-qualified carrier or different line of work.

I'm going to say that what I see at 135 is kinda scary. We're the only ones I know of that have 30 laid off at the moment, 16 on 12/07/07 and 14 more on 12/16/07 (effective dates). It seems that 10 more may get the axe before it's all said and done (from previous posts), and it's been said they are running foreign drivers all around us to get freight into our terminals WE are supposed to service.

The reason your seeing a much larger lay-off is the man power is overwhelming to the rest of the terminals. 135 always thought they were the special ones and this would never happen to them. 135 will experience the same pain that 120 has felt, it just took alittle longer to see. It's time to smell the roses because YRC will be just a pimple on UPS's butt. I'm a 15 yr man with 16 men behind me and will most likely be laid off within the first of the year. Just like the guys behind me said we'll never get laid-off. YEAH RIGHT! They now are standing in the soup line.

I don't know that it's that we always thought we were the special ones, but because of our position, the thought process is that we'd be the last to go. I'm sitting here thinking about just jumping off the Roadway bandwagon, because it's more like, look out for myself, and UPS seems to be the better choice, rather than Roadway. What's sad is the new guys think they are getting retirement from Roadway.....They think Roadway's still going to be around in the next 20 years....seems kinda.....sad...

Our terminal for almost 9 months now has direct loaded to 211 bypassing 135 completely. We get better service for our customers( 2 day). It's just a fact of life that 135 and 120 aren't going to ever be the same. Hoping that things will change back is like the Rubbermaid workers wondering when the Chinese will send their machinery back so that they can make trash cans in Wooster again. Not going to happen, sorry.

Be prepared for the biggest change in the US economy in the next 5 years. And it won't matter who's elected next year. You've been sold out by your elected reps.

If you really think it's only 120/135 problems your so wrong. Stop looking at the big picture with your eyes closed. It's the Company is general you must look at not by terminal alone.

As far as elected reps, that's probably for a different thread on a different site. But, yeah, I know they've been bypassing 135, as well as 120, and bypassing any terminal they can. Which is fine, I don't care, but reducing the workforce when the goal is to increase your capacity to lure in more customers doesn't happen when you're constantly getting rid of more and more drivers, dock workers, switchers, and mechanics.

When I was up in Brockton, MA, the guy in there told me that this company used to be filled with pride, and when Yellow took over, the pride just went in the crapper. I personally see this more and more at 135, as drivers just really don't care about the company, and are really out to slam them in any way they can. The management in our terminal is always trying to see what they can slip by us, especially with what they try to get us to do. We also end up with more grievances than we should, as we are always getting nailed with something.

Really, I think this company is a dying breed. As with the rest of them, this company has enjoyed more than 75 years of being in business, and has hit it's prime a long time ago, my guess being 70's and 80's, maybe even the 90's. I think what we are seeing is a last ditch effort to keep it going for as long as they can, as the latest reports I've read said that they are actually "firing" customers, because they can not compete with anyone else, and with the automakers having trouble, and seeing as most of our (Roadway's) freight being from these guys, according to Roadway's stats.....This company is in serious trouble. As for the guys that think I'm lying about this, you ought to do some background on a lot of the financial sites first, before jumping all over me, as I know this will bring on me.

Oh, and rockford files, I'd like to know the barn you're out of, because according to the rest of your posts, you're in the midwest. The only barns you could be out of and bypass 135 to get anywhere is cincinatti, one of the farther ohio terminals, and I've been to some of them. If you're direct loading for 211, and bypassing 135, how the hell are you doing that? out west to akron, bypassing 135 is umm......perfectly right.

Oh, and rockford files, I'd like to know the barn you're out of, because according to the rest of your posts, you're in the midwest. The only barns you could be out of and bypass 135 to get anywhere is cincinatti, one of the farther ohio terminals, and I've been to some of them. If you're direct loading for 211, and bypassing 135, how the hell are you doing that? out west to akron, bypassing 135 is umm......perfectly right.

I think what he might talking about is that the fright that comes out of his Terminal and would be loaded to 135 now gets sent to 211 and they build loads for major terminals in the east bypassing 135/120.
That is why you are seeing Road Drivers in the smaller eastern Terminals running past 135/120 to & from 211/231/241/312/671.
Hope this helps.

I think what he might talking about is that the fright that comes out of his Terminal and would be loaded to 135 now gets sent to 211 and they build loads for major terminals in the east bypassing 135/120.
That is why you are seeing Road Drivers in the smaller eastern Terminals running past 135/120 to & from 211/231/241/312/671.
Hope this helps.

Correct
We used to load 135/120 directs and get anywhere from3-5 day service to say NYC. Now it's 2 days flat most of the upper east coast and we can sell on it. The problem is that we have nobody left to sell to as we've pizzed off most of our good customers. Seeing a lot of bills w/ check credit, hmmmmm.

Whoever said this is a last ditch effort is correct. We have a tractor w/ bald drives but they won't spend money on it until 2008. They lie saying the vendor has to order. LOL Can't even get sand put down in the lot because it's "extra". Vendor mechanic fell down in Yeller's yard because of the ice and will be out for weeks but who cares, we saved a nickel.

The next quarter will be interesting as the rats are already fleeing the ship and the oarsmen are taking all the heat. Classic sign of hitting the iceberg.

I'm sorry some have thought the band and dancing would play forever but then we've all been distracted by garbage and not seeing what's really important.

We have guys that have never worked anywhere else and up until recently never drove a new forklift. And then we have guys that have seen, been through this before at other companies before the end.

I see a Central States pension fund that's underfunded almost 2 to 1. This is reality. I really don't being lied to but then some thrive on it. In a year my house will be paid for. That's the only thing I look forward too. Why?

Because now I'm the bottom man. I've accepted the fact that the ship and not just RDWY is sinking.
What I see around me every day now is stuff that is out of control. We recently got the 2nd degree because we weren't worried about our numbers. Sorry, they aren't my numbers.
We have Teamster's doing office work @$33 an hour that a $10 an hour clerk used to do. Numbers? Our TM makes em up

There are some that have had their "eyes" open. I've concentrated my energies on what effects me personally, not about who to pick for some fantasy football league.

But hey, Brett Farve is playing, isn't it grand?

Lehigh Valley, yeah, that makes sense....rockford files, yeah, I see what you're saying about the 2-day, but I also don't think that's a driver issue, more a management issue. I've seen some of the dispatchers sit in there and delay freight ON PURPOSE, the particular dispatcher has cost them so much money, it's not even funny, but still they keep him. But, from 211, as far as 190 has been run, but they won't let us run it that way. Even Brooklyn and beyond has been made out of Akron, if they'd just let us do OUR jobs, what THEY hired US to do. But, hey, we're just peons who don't know any better.

There's also some other issues that I have with this company, which have caught my attention, and have REALLY upset me. One of which, still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, yeah, I do think this company is on a last ditch effort to stay open for as long as possible. In the time I've been here, I've seen the quality of the repairs decrease, and the safety of these things decrease, but they always figure out how to fix all 101 or 108 points, or whatever it is that DOT checks on these things. They don't want to pay for what the contract says we get paid, which is why the union is involved in such a way.

How many of you on the callboards at these terminals, when that phone rings to go to work, wonder how much Vaseline you're going to need, and wonder how big the part of where the Vaseline is going is going to be before Big "R" is done for the day? This is ridiculous what this company pulls.

For a company thats on it's last leg their investing an awful lot of money on their double bottoms operation here in the east.They leased equipment on a trial basis and now that it works,they bought new dollies,trailers,and tractors that are spected out to pull big doubles.I know some of you guys are bitter and you have every right to be but sometimes you have to change with the times to survive.Thats what these flow centers are all about.The name of the game is service which means faster transit times and less damages.You can't achieve that by loading everything to a break bulk terminal.Wait till the contract is ratified,you'll see things turnaround for the better.Maybe i am being optimistic but whats wrong with that.Happy New Year to you all!

Mopar man....Yeah, Roadway bought those turnpike double dolly's to run MA terminals to Buffalo. By the way, I've driven some of those tractors that are certified for the turnpike doubles, and they SUCK! I don't know what power you're talking about that they're leasing new, and it works, the new tractors they have are junk. They have no power, they're usually broken within the first 100K miles, and their fuel mileage absolutely stinks worse than the diesel they consume. Sure, they are a nice ride, but you're stuck going up hills at 25-35 mph with any type of load on, heck, I've been down to 50 mph with EMPTY long boxes. This new equipment was leased because of Federal EPA regulations, not because Roadway was trying it out. Check out the emissions in California, that's where a lot of this is starting, and going throughout the rest of the country. There again, that's another issue for probably a different site.

But, yes, I'm hopeful for the new contract, that it will be stronger, but the union really needs to stop protecting those who either don't do CRAP at their jobs (like taking 14 hrs to run 350 miles), or run the 650+ miles a day, especially if we go back to 10 hrs drive time.

By the way, happy new year!!! :smilie_132: