XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it fair to say a lot of money has been spent on the pro-union side? Is the pro-union side obligated to divulge it's expenses?
I honestly don't know how the amounts compare . As far as reporting it's a fair question and to be honest I know unions have to file lm 2 and lm 3 reports with the Department of labor. I sure as hell hope that the union is spending money on organizing and the more the better, after all that's their purpose.

I posted the amounts of just 3 locations of dozens listed in reports to show how much the company is willing to spend to influence their employees about unions . It's within their rights to do so if they follow federal guidelines and report such activity as required. The reporting requirements are the law and are there to maintain employees rights to organize and to assure that companies do not infringe on those rights by keeping things in the open and above board.

Here is some info on why these reports must be filed :

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS I. WHY FILE The Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act of 1959, as amended (LMRDA), requires public disclosure of agreements or arrangements made between any person, including labor relations consultants and other individuals and organizations, and an employer to undertake certain activities concerning employees or labor organizations. Pursuant to Section 203(b) of the LMRDA, every person who undertakes any such activity under an agreement or arrangement with an employer must file with the Secretary of Labor a detailed report of receipts and disbursements annually for each fiscal year during which payments were made as a result of any such agreement or arrangement. The Secretary, under the authority of the LMRDA, has prescribed the filing of the Receipts and Disbursements Report, Form LM-21, to satisfy this reporting requirement. These reporting requirements of the LMRDA and of the regulations and forms issued under the Act only relate to the disclosure of specific agreements, arrangements, and/or activities. The reporting requirements do not address whether such agreements, arrangements, or activities are lawful or unlawful. The fact that a particular agreement, arrangement or activity is or is not required to be reported does or does not indicate whether it is or is not subject to any legal prohibition. II. WHO MUST FILE Any person who, as a direct or indirect party to any agreement or arrangement with an employer to undertake activities of the type described in Section 203(b) of the Act, must file a Form LM-21 for any fiscal year during which a payment was made or received as a result of the agreement or arrangement. A “person” is defined by LMRDA Section 3(d) to include, among others, labor relations consultants and other individuals and organizations. A person “undertakes” activities not only when he/she performs the activities but also when he/she agrees to perform the activities or to have them performed. A “direct or indirect party” to an agreement or arrangement includes (1) persons who have secured the services of another or of others in connection with an agreement or arrangement of the type referred to in Section 203(b) of the LMRDA, and (2) persons who have undertaken activities at the behest of another or of others with knowledge or reason to believe that they are undertaken as a result of an agreement or arrangement between an employer and any other person. However, bona fide regular officers, supervisors, or employees of an employer are exempt from this reporting requirement to the extent that the services they undertook to perform were undertaken as such bona fide regular officers, supervisors, or employees of their employer. NOTE: Selected definitions from the LMRDA follow these instructions. III. WHAT MUST BE REPORTED The information required to be reported in Form LM-21, as set forth in the form and instructions, includes (1) receipts of any kind received directly or indirectly from employers on account of labor relations advice or services, and (2) disbursements of any kind made directly or indirectly in connections with such services for each fiscal year during which payments were made or received as a result of an agreement or arrangement to undertake activities of the type described in LMRDA Section 203(b). Any person required to file Form LM-21 must also file a Form LM-20, Agreement and Activities Report. You must file Form LM-20 within 30 days after entering into any such agreement or arrangement.

https://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/ecrfactsheet.pdf

Last edited:
OZHGqkm.jpg

LM 20's detail how much money the company has spent on union busters. It's in the MILLIONS and you should be asking why they are willingly spending that money instead of paying it to the men who actually do the work.

I wouldn't say they're willingly spending it. What choice do they have? They're not the ones who set this process in motion. It's a little disingenuous to accuse them of misappropriating the money you made them spend.

At our barn alone they paid Cruz and Associates ( Union persuaders ) $ 193,980.80 .
You think that's a lot in Aurora they spent $235,913 For a single year .But wait thats not the biggie ,Sit down for this one in 2015 alone they paid Cruz $404,000 in Orlando alone.
They have spent millions since 2014 across the country fighting unionization.

I think you're having trouble wrapping your head around big numbers. XPO LTL brought in 920 million dollars in the first QUARTER this year. Even if, let's say, they spent a million dollars on consultants in just those three months, that's the equivalent of a linehaul driver who makes 100k a year spending... 25 dollars. That's hardly irresponsible.

It's within their rights to do so if they follow federal guidelines and report such activity as required.

Hmm, so what is it that you think you're going to find? You don't think someone is hiding reportable activity, do you? Man, that would be terrible. Just awful. Good for you for checking it out on your own time.

Hmm, so what is it that you think you're going to find? You don't think someone is hiding reportable activity, do you? Man, that would be terrible. Just awful. Good for you for checking it out on your own time.
Don't sweat it ,after all your just a driver here ;)
Besides the Irs is going to find that , unless someone pointed out and who's going to do that?

Last edited:
I think you're having trouble wrapping your head around big numbers. XPO LTL brought in 920 million dollars in the first QUARTER this year. Even if, let's say, they spent a million dollars on consultants in just those three months, that's the equivalent of a linehaul driver who makes 100k a year spending... 25 dollars. That's hardly irresponsible.
Then based on YOUR logic they can well afford to compensate us better , better healthcare coverage, Ot after 8 in the south and a better retirement and it would hurt them a bit financially.
It was their choice to continue to take ,that forced peoples hand to try to protect what they have through unionizing. No one would have gone done that road had they continued to take care of us like Con-way had in the past.
My point and Hollywooz was merely to point out the money they are spending to fight unionization. Exposing to those who are not aware of the extent of the money spent and how wide spread it is. Neither said that it was irresponsible on their part.
When Xpo touts how uninterested and how it's work force rejects unionization they fail to explain they are waging such an extensive and costly campaign of misinformation across the country .
Also it is my understanding the cost for said campaign was becoming so expensive that they hired their on in house persuader along with HR personnel to conduct the there own in house version.

I wouldn't say they're willingly spending it. What choice do they have? They're not the ones who set this process in motion. It's a little disingenuous to accuse them of misappropriating the money you made them spend.

Your spin on this issue would hold water except for the fact that it was their actions that made us seek union representation. Their insatiable quest for increased profit at the expense of their employees is what began this process. When we realized we had no recourse to affect their policy changes, we sought whatever recourse we could find. That happened to be the Teamsters. Their intention to block the only chance we had at having a voice in the workplace, is a clear indication of exactly where they were going with this...and their actions over the past two years certainly justifies our decision to seek representation. It's obscene that they are so willing to pay a 3rd party millions of dollars to avoid paying the men and women who give nearly half their lives in service to the company. As far as the choice they have, how about meeting with their employees to try to understand the issues, then work together with the union to negotiate a fair and reasonable contract that would benefit all concerned parties. They make it seem like we are making outrageous demands on them when NOTHING could be further from the truth.

It's not just irresponsible, it's insulting to the employees. It's a slap in the face to be told that the company can't afford to maintain or increase our compensation package while they are spending millions in an effort to be able to continue to bleed it dry. It certainly fails to make me see the love from Mr. Jacobs.

Your spin on this issue would hold water except for the fact that it was their actions that made us seek union representation. Their insatiable quest for increased profit at the expense of their employees is what began this process. When we realized we had no recourse to affect their policy changes, we sought whatever recourse we could find. That happened to be the Teamsters. Their intention to block the only chance we had at having a voice in the workplace, is a clear indication of exactly where they were going with this...and their actions over the past two years certainly justifies our decision to seek representation. It's obscene that they are so willing to pay a 3rd party millions of dollars to avoid paying the men and women who give nearly half their lives in service to the company. As far as the choice they have, how about meeting with their employees to try to understand the issues, then work together with the union to negotiate a fair and reasonable contract that would benefit all concerned parties. They make it seem like we are making outrageous demands on them when NOTHING could be further from the truth.
:6788::smiliewhs:

Got a good look at the Health and Welfare Teamcare proposal today. Too many of you guys have no idea how horrible our health coverage is! I forgot to ask if I can share details with you all, but if there's a Teamster on board, maybe you could shine a light on the health care plan you have. As soon as I get the go ahead, I'll post the some details. It's unbelievable.

4TBDRpe.jpg

This is what we could have had at FXF at a cheaper cost too.... Go figure I guess new trucks with cameras meant more....

Thanks, Hoot. The plan we proposed is even better, although I can't get into details at the moment. Go figure is right. There is a good possibility that the company can offer us a much better plan at a reduced cost from what they contribute to the current plan. Nothing confirmed yet and that's why they would prefer I don't get into details here. I will as soon as I get the green light.

well, I guess the Con Way employees know what is is like to be disrespected the way the CF drivers were treated (on Labor Day of all days..what a slap in the face).

Melo Logistics spun off to Con Way and Con Way done spun off by XPO. What a vicious cycle.

Thanks to our Brothers/Sisters at Consolidated Freightways that help make this industry what it is today! My heart still bleeds each Labor Day...

I guess the XPO drivers (almost) can see the raw deal that CF employees got..Menlo Closed down CF and shifted it all to Con Way and now Con Way has been sold to XPO.

Stay tuned..the future will be interesting to say the least..

Last edited:
well, I guess the Con Way employees know what is is like to be disrespected the way the CF drivers were treated (on Labor Day of all days..what a slap in the face).

Melo Logistics spun off to Con Way and Con Way done spun off by XPO. What a vicious cycle.

Thanks to our Brothers/Sisters at Consolidated Freightways that help make this industry what it is today! My heart still bleeds each Labor Day...

I guess the XPO drivers (almost) can see the raw deal that CF employees got..Menlo Closed down CF and shifted it all to Con Way and now Con Way has been sold to XPO.

yea it's so bad

Stay tuned..the future will be interesting to say the least..[/QUOTE

I could give a rat's arse about CF. Labor day is just another day on the 365 calender. In honor of your post I did break out a violin. It is about this -- long.

I could give a rat's arse about CF. Labor day is just another day on the 365 calender. In honor of your post I did break out a violin. It is about this -- long.
Thank you..what a classy post.. " I see your slogan, IT Is ALL about about ME'

How true for you..l am glad that I am not around you..life must be happy and good..

Wiggle,
Its too bad that you have no respect for employees for a company that helped form Conway/XPO.
Helped with money earned from profits and work rules that were fought for that became part of Conway/XPO.
I started at CF in 1976 and back then non-union companies could tell you that you are fired for no
reason and no recourse , I headed to Fla in 1995 and ended up at Conway and yes I am still employed
with XPO . I am in my 46 th year in trucking , it is a terrible feeling to go home to your family without
a job and especially when it is something that is beyond your control.

Wiggle,
Its too bad that you have no respect for employees for a company that helped form Conway/XPO.
Helped with money earned from profits and work rules that were fought for that became part of Conway/XPO.
I started at CF in 1976 and back then non-union companies could tell you that you are fired for no
reason and no recourse , I headed to Fla in 1995 and ended up at Conway and yes I am still employed
with XPO . I am in my 46 th year in trucking , it is a terrible feeling to go home to your family without
a job and especially when it is something that is beyond your control.

The distance between CF and CCX was pretty big already. And over time it has grown. First to Con-way. Then to XPO. At this point. CF is ancient history. And CF/CCX/Con-way are dead.

Is he gonna sell us ? Is he gonna buy up another LTL ? Is he going to sell the whole damn thing ?

We are to concerned with our present and immediate future to be worrying about the past and how we got here. Being right here right now is precarious enough. To the point that people are quitting at an amazing rate. Even the die hard stay to the end guys. Can't stand to be here any more. I guess it's important to do something under your control before something beyond your control is forced upon you.

Status
Not open for further replies.