Yellow | YRCW to reduce Teamster jobs by 15-20 Thousand!

Regular342

TB Veteran
Credits
Saw this on the Roadway Board:

"Instead, YRC officials waited for a new contract from the Teamsters union, whose 55,000 members at both long-haul companies will be directly affected by any combination. Likely, dovetailing seniority will occur as YRC tries to trim its headcount to a more manageable 35,000 to 40,000 or so."

What Took So Long? YRC Plans to Merge Yellow and Roadway Units - GLG News

If you're in the bottom 3rd of your seniority board I would say it's a good idea to start looking at employment elsewhere. That is if you haven't started already.

Article

"Instead, YRC officials waited for a new contract from the Teamsters union, whose 55,000 members at both long-haul companies will be directly affected by any combination. Likely, dovetailing seniority will occur as YRC tries to trim its headcount to a more manageable 35,000 to 40,000 or so."

If you're in the bottom 3rd of your seniority board I would say it's a good idea to start looking at employment elsewhere. That is if you haven't started already.

I posted a reply to this article on the Roadway Board.
If anyone has some more accurate numbers please let me know.

This article has some contradictions to the above article.Just looking for some solid info, so, we can all come to an accurate understanding.
http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/787978.html

I'm pretty sure that this is only the writer's opinion, I personally don't see cuts being that large.

think about, here in milwaukee WI (313) roadway has 136 on the seniority list, yellow has 67 on theirs, roadway has 97 people active working on that list, can't say for yellow but if you work at yellow and your job date is 1997 and below your out of a job with the dovetailing. and a good 15 to 20 guys on lay off are not comeing back. in time the $14.00 dock workers will be on the job!

think about, here in milwaukee WI (313) roadway has 136 on the seniority list, yellow has 67 on theirs, roadway has 97 people active working on that list, can't say for yellow but if you work at yellow and your job date is 1997 and below your out of a job with the dovetailing. and a good 15 to 20 guys on lay off are not comeing back. in time the $14.00 dock workers will be on the job!

The agreement at Local 413 is that no 4 hour casual can work unless laid off are given an chance to work first. Layoff call back rights are for 5 years and each time your worked the 5 years is extended. ( there may be some qualifying conditions for the extension) I can't find my cotton picking contract book dagg nabbit

the IBT said that no union member will be affected by the change, frt moving from other barns and lay offs start all over the system. company keeps calling laid off workers back and then laying them off. soon they find other work and forget about YRC and the people who punch the clock work 55 hours a week. lets face it the $14.00 worker with no wrights will make sure that jimmy gets his pension

I'm pretty sure that this is only the writer's opinion, I personally don't see cuts being that large.

I agree with you. They have a customer base that needs serviced and they will need the personnel to do that. The only way they can cut that deep is if they tell a lot of their customers to take a hike. Why would they do that?

Not 15-20,000 teamster jobs cut

you guys need to read my post to this thread on the roadway boards.....WE WILL NOT LOSE 15-20,000 TEAMSTER JOBS......the numbers will be significantly less than this report states....the g-man

YES!!!!

All of you run and find other jobs. If you are close to retirement, DO IT NOW!!!

Hey, the more people out of the way, the better (for me).

here's my story and opinion-YRC merger

Two little terminals in Daytona Beach, Fl. One is Yellow and one is Roadway. We are less than a mile away from each other.

Yellow is moving into the Roadway terminal. Roadway owns the place, Yellow leases. Their lease runs out May 2009. Survey, construction going on at the little Roadway terminal. Started out being separate. Yellow over here, and Roadway over there-same place/building/ yard. Trying to figure out how we are work all this out.

Not anymore.

Both little terminals have the same routes. Both have 6 P&D routes. Each have one man laid off.

We can see the writing on the wall. 6 routes, 12 men = 6 men will lose their jobs........PERIOD !

We don't know WHO or HOW they will decide WHO loses thier job and who gets to keep their job. There are tons of little Union separate contracts out there. My money is on the DOVETAIL based on seniority, and the MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT. The main thing you should be thinking about is......6 men, 50 % will lose their job, here in this tiny little spot of a terminal in Daytona Beach, Fl.......

I think the numbers are NOT too far off, for total layoffs....

And now is NOT the time for Yellow or Roadway TEAMSTERS to be saying, "I hope you enjoy your lunch, and have a nice day..."

BTW....FYI.....

I work in the office at Roadway Daytona Beach, as an evening dispatcher/chief paper pusher. (My hubby worked for 18 years with CF, until they went out. )I worked in the office for CF, Yellow and now Roadway, all here at Daytona....... I don't expect to be one of the "lucky ones" that will still have a job after 2009, either......... I work cheap, but I already know, they can get somebody who can do the minimum required to get the jobdone, for a whole lot less money. Here in Florida, they will just hire "Temporary Services" and part time...minimum wage and no benefits......

If you work for "Yellow" or if you are a "senior man"..... or you have this little suplement to the Master.....don't think you can sit back in your easy chair......

We can all be replaced by "temporary & part-time services" That's how I lost my job at Yellow, and so then, I went to Roadway. And UPS has had part-times for YEARS !!!!!

Corporate will do whatever they need to do for the company. And the teamsters have gone by the way side, with the Union tending to Disney characters, and police officers and teachers,etc.... The freight haulers/dock workers are a lost cause for the Teamsters, and they will do whatever ! ... to keep the membership, but they won't care how. As long as we have xxx amount of members after it is all said and done, that's the best they can accept. And it don't matter to the Teamsters Union, if it is Yellow, or Roadway or senior man or junior man....

I am not a pessimist or an optimist...I'm just a realist.....

They don't. Or workrules. Job classification? Seniority? Better read Article 5 real close on this one. Good Luck to all of us. Believe me they got just what they wanted in this last contract and we sold down the river. No way this piece of garbage was passed 2 to 1, come on give me a break. Better hold Tyson and Hoffa accountable.

They don't. Or workrules. Job classification? Seniority? Better read Article 5 real close on this one. Good Luck to all of us. Believe me they got just what they wanted in this last contract and we sold down the river. No way this piece of garbage was passed 2 to 1, come on give me a break. Better hold Tyson and Hoffa accountable.

It was over after the first vote... :shades:

Amen juggalo.

Here's another angle. There was a recent post on the Roadway board that did some simple arithmetic, based on YRC's claim of $200 million in annual cost savings after the merger. One Teamster working 40 hours a week costs the company somewhere in the range of $60k-$65k annually for wages and benefits. At $60k, the whole $200 million accounts for 3,333 Teamster jobs. Based on this calculation, I agree with you that 15-20 thousand jobs is unrealistic.

I do think the cuts will be more drastic at some of the smaller terminals. I don't if it will be half the men like a previous poster stated, but in areas that don't generate alot of freight there probably is alot of redundancy. Especially out west where you have routes that cover large areas without alot of freight. I wonder what they are gonna do with Chicago, cause I can't see CGB and the heights being combined into one facility, unless they build a super break bulk.

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/safestat/CarrierOverview.asp?DOT=65616
http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/safestat/CarrierOverview.asp?DOT=71821

The DOT says yellow employs 14,190 drivers and roadway another 12,020. That's 26,210 drivers. Now take away 15,000-20,000 the numbers don't make sense.
read my post on roadway's forum under "yrc cutting 15-20,000 jobs", it will help explain how these numbers were inflated dramatically.......there WILL BE jobs lost, but not as many as you think.....the g-man:red_bandana: