Yellow | YRCW to reduce Teamster jobs by 15-20 Thousand!

Two little terminals in Daytona Beach, Fl. One is Yellow and one is Roadway. We are less than a mile away from each other.

Yellow is moving into the Roadway terminal. Roadway owns the place, Yellow leases. Their lease runs out May 2009. Survey, construction going on at the little Roadway terminal. Started out being separate. Yellow over here, and Roadway over there-same place/building/ yard. Trying to figure out how we are work all this out.

Not anymore.

Both little terminals have the same routes. Both have 6 P&D routes. Each have one man laid off.

We can see the writing on the wall. 6 routes, 12 men = 6 men will lose their jobs........PERIOD !

We don't know WHO or HOW they will decide WHO loses thier job and who gets to keep their job. There are tons of little Union separate contracts out there. My money is on the DOVETAIL based on seniority, and the MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT. The main thing you should be thinking about is......6 men, 50 % will lose their job, here in this tiny little spot of a terminal in Daytona Beach, Fl.......

I think the numbers are NOT too far off, for total layoffs....

And now is NOT the time for Yellow or Roadway TEAMSTERS to be saying, "I hope you enjoy your lunch, and have a nice day..."

BTW....FYI.....

I work in the office at Roadway Daytona Beach, as an evening dispatcher/chief paper pusher. (My hubby worked for 18 years with CF, until they went out. )I worked in the office for CF, Yellow and now Roadway, all here at Daytona....... I don't expect to be one of the "lucky ones" that will still have a job after 2009, either......... I work cheap, but I already know, they can get somebody who can do the minimum required to get the jobdone, for a whole lot less money. Here in Florida, they will just hire "Temporary Services" and part time...minimum wage and no benefits......

If you work for "Yellow" or if you are a "senior man"..... or you have this little suplement to the Master.....don't think you can sit back in your easy chair......

We can all be replaced by "temporary & part-time services" That's how I lost my job at Yellow, and so then, I went to Roadway. And UPS has had part-times for YEARS !!!!!

Corporate will do whatever they need to do for the company. And the teamsters have gone by the way side, with the Union tending to Disney characters, and police officers and teachers,etc.... The freight haulers/dock workers are a lost cause for the Teamsters, and they will do whatever ! ... to keep the membership, but they won't care how. As long as we have xxx amount of members after it is all said and done, that's the best they can accept. And it don't matter to the Teamsters Union, if it is Yellow, or Roadway or senior man or junior man....

I am not a pessimist or an optimist...I'm just a realist.....

I know you mean well, but this simply doesn't make sense. I worked in a small terminal with 8 drivers before we were closed. Roadway still has a terminal in that area, which I think will be closed, it is a rental, and merged into the larger location like Yellow's was. But the point is, I had a full days work on my route as did the Roadway driver. There is no way one man could do both mens' jobs. All the delivery drivers here understand my point. And there have been several other posts here that make these predictions seem out of line. Besides this was a projection by some "expert". Look at the condition of our economy right now. "Experts" like Greenspan and Paulson, to name only two, were telling us none of this was going to happen just a couple of months ago. Don't ever listen to the "experts."

There must be 12 drivers going out each day with half loads to deliver.

That's pretty accurate right now. At Roadway, where I am in the office, some days only 3 men out of the 6 are working. For the past 3 weeks, one man has agreed to take a CC day, and let the other have work. There are some days, Wed, Thurs, where a driver may only have 4 stops... But we still have a halfway decent O/B yet to keep at least 3/4 men working.

also shutting 200 terminals is like shutting down estes or r&l. yrc waited for part time and utility wording in contract so they could merge. anytime terminals are shut down freight is lost. to think there wont be major cuts is not seeing the big picture.

So What's going on at the little Daytona Yellow terminal?

The little Yellow terminal in Daytona Beach has had there Terminal manger relocated to Jax, and covers the sales territory of Daytona and Ocala. He's not angry, he's always lived in JAX, so now he has a desk closer to home.

The Ops manager, she never showed up for work, after the labor day holiday. She got pink slipped/ canned... It is now a "dark terminal" . The P&D drivers tell me they are pushing the papers and getting their dispatches from ORLANDO ! With the Nextels, you don't have to sit at an office in Daytona, to give out dispatches.... My hubby 18 years w/ CF (linehaul), is over-the-road now. He has a dedicated run starts in Palatka, Fl - Georgia Pacific account. Guess where he gets his dispatches from ? GREEN BAY, WI !

I know you mean well, but this simply doesn't make sense. I worked in a small terminal with 8 drivers before we were closed. Roadway still has a terminal in that area, which I think will be closed, it is a rental, and merged into the larger location like Yellow's was. But the point is, I had a full days work on my route as did the Roadway driver. There is no way one man could do both mens' jobs. All the delivery drivers here understand my point. And there have been several other posts here that make these predictions seem out of line. Besides this was a projection by some "expert". Look at the condition of our economy right now. "Experts" like Greenspan and Paulson, to name only two, were telling us none of this was going to happen just a couple of months ago. Don't ever listen to the "experts."

I just wanted to say, I don't listen to any experts on anything. I only say what I have experienced and seen in my life. About 3 years ago, everybody was FLOORED! STUNNED ! when Roadway ( or was it YRC) closed a major, hustling, bustling terminal such as Ft Lauderdale, Fl..... But they did it, without even a blink of an eye..... And now Miami takes care of the area, and P&D travel like 45 minutes just to start their runs, out of Miami.... Did that make sense to me? HECK NO ! Service was poor, and P&D was all messed up, because Miami didn't know the area. And this was a "great move" :duh: that YRC decided to do, with the price of FUEL right now, these days......

6 months after I got my job at Roadway, Yellow bought the company.... It has been De'Ja Vu, for me ever since ( days of CF )....... There are only 2 Teamster companies left out here. UPS marches to the beat of their own drum. Maybe the Teamsters need a new logo.. no longer the two horseheads and wagon wheel, but maybe..... the face of GOOFY ! Sad to report... Goofy... is a Teamster.....

what will happen to the part time dock workers yrc is hiring right now when the merging begins?

I work in the office, so maybe you think I have or know more info than, perhaps you do..... I don't. My crystal ball broke along time ago. And all common sense went with it....

However, I probably do get a bit more info than the drivers/ dockworkers, etc, and I try to pass that info along to my men at Roadway, and I talk to the Yellow P&D whenever they come to drop off some freight for big R to deliver. Whenever I can. I print out Emails I get from Corporate, and post them in the drivers room, and they can judge for themselves what they see and what they read... Next day, only to find out my terminal manager has taken it down.... (?)... Sometimes my Terminal manager/ops manager leave their "log on" up, as I move from my computer/desk to the Ops computer/desk.... (It's just closer and easier for me to do Ops from there.. my desk is in the far corner) so, when this happens, I look at their Emails, and I look in their garbage.... ( They are soo clueless about computers, that they think I can't go to their deleted items..HEY ! They threw it away ! Or that I can't put "mark as unread" ) I get paid by the hour. Even the salary people in my office don't have a CLUE of what is going to happen.... This is all I know....

Forgot to mention... If you think it's easy for me, in the Roadway office , here in little bitty Daytona Beach, Fl.... to cover 6 routes with only 3 men.... Think again.... The I/B may be no sweat, but the O/B... my job..... Guess, I forgot to mention this before, because it's just my job.... I gotta do what I gotta do, given the circumstances... and my 3 guys this day....are busting hump, and getting plenty of OT.... but we are all stressed and TIRED.... Do YOU THINK YRC CARES????? NOT to mention FUEL and TIME for my P&D to cover these areas... DO U THINK YRC CARES????? And my Road men (linehaul) are doing things they never had to do before.... hook up their own sets, etc.... HEY ! we are just trying to survive here in this little SPIT of a SPOT in the BIG PICTURE, here....

If you are one of the ones who still have a job after it is all said and done... maybe one of your new duties will be to push papers too.....

I do think the cuts will be more drastic at some of the smaller terminals. I don't if it will be half the men like a previous poster stated, but in areas that don't generate alot of freight there probably is alot of redundancy. Especially out west where you have routes that cover large areas without alot of freight. I wonder what they are gonna do with Chicago, cause I can't see CGB and the heights being combined into one facility, unless they build a super break bulk.

I believe your thinking is correct. I think I am the previous post that you mention. I believe the number of 15-20 jobs lost is not just in labor, but in management as well, that some of you guys are not thinking about. As well as the yard jockeys and switchers, and yes, even the billing clerks..... and somesaid something in a previous post about JIflox and dollys??? Well, Roadway has been phasing out the Jiflox ok? They needed special tractors built and special dolly built.... It is an equpiment issue that I have to deal with every day... and so too, will Yellow, now that YRC has flooded the system with 53' vans... which is not a bad thing... just an equipment issue...
T/L carriers have long since been using 53's..now Roadway is too...I don't know about Yellow.... But here at Roadway, in spit of Daytona, I welcome the 53's.... But my P& D had some adjustments to get used to, on the length of the dern things.....

I think larger terminals will survive a bit better, and they will do alot of butt-heads/ meet n' turns using the larger places as "drop lots" to avoid layovers/motel and get faster transit times.... but as close together as CGB and the Heights are...... I don't have a clue.......on this one.....

Forgot to mention... If you think it's easy for me, in the Roadway office , here in little bitty Daytona Beach, Fl.... to cover 6 routes with only 3 men.... Think again.... The I/B may be no sweat, but the O/B... my job..... Guess, I forgot to mention this before, because it's just my job.... I gotta do what I gotta do, given the circumstances... and my 3 guys this day....are busting hump, and getting plenty of OT.... but we are all stressed and TIRED.... Do YOU THINK YRC CARES????? NOT to mention FUEL and TIME for my P&D to cover these areas... DO U THINK YRC CARES????? And my Road men (linehaul) are doing things they never had to do before.... hook up their own sets, etc.... HEY ! we are just trying to survive here in this little SPIT of a SPOT in the BIG PICTURE, here....

If you are one of the ones who still have a job after it is all said and done... maybe one of your new duties will be to push papers too.....

NO YRC DOES NOT CARE! the only thing they care about are numbers $$$!
I have 22 years in freight with 4 different carriers. I've been with Yellow for the last 4 years and the one thing I have learned is no matter how much you do they always want more. They train their dispatchers little intimidation tactics to keep their employees maxed out. While I believe in a fair days work for a fair days pay and realize that union has to compete with non union I still live in America and I will be nobody's Slave. When it's all said and done what will be will be (and I'll probably be out) but I'll still have my dignity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a slacker, I do my share and maybe more but when they put up a layoff I will not run faster to do the extra work to make up the differance. LET THEM CALL SOMEONE IN OFF LAYOFF!

bluemule I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down on you. I realize you have to do what you have to do. You are caught in the middle and thats a tough place to be! You are to be commended for going into managements computers and trying to inform us all. Thank you for that. :clap::USA:

NO YRC DOES NOT CARE! the only thing they care about are numbers $$$!
I have 22 years in freight with 4 different carriers. I've been with Yellow for the last 4 years and the one thing I have learned is no matter how much you do they always want more. They train their dispatchers little intimidation tactics to keep their employees maxed out. While I believe in a fair days work for a fair days pay and realize that union has to compete with non union I still live in America and I will be nobody's Slave. When it's all said and done what will be will be (and I'll probably be out) but I'll still have my dignity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a slacker, I do my share and maybe more but when they put up a layoff I will not run faster to do the extra work to make up the differance. LET THEM CALL SOMEONE IN OFF LAYOFF!

I know you think I am probably a "company man" dispatcher( did you get the part of chief paper pusher too in a prior post) ...my job title is "administrator support I " --what the heck is that??? I don't know, but I'm doing it, and a whole lot more..... we are a small barn here in Daytona..... I'm proud to report my men ( except one--who seems to have the same attitude as you ) are all pulling together, and doing, and going the extra mile ----for the effort.. If we are all laid off/pink slippped/canned... at least we all will know..it was not because we didn't try our BEST.....

Yes, we all would like to call in the laid off, and give them work too. And we could go home after 8, and rest and relax and have another life...Don't think that we don't....but life has been this way for a very long time now, Where have you been????

I don't mean to sound so crass... but life is not for the weak, and you may have your dignity...but so do we, here in little ole Daytona Beach, Fl. And , bottom line,we will feel... we fought long and hard, did the best we could, went above and beyond the call of duty.......We can walk away with our layoffs/pink slips/canned sheets in our hand.... and know, in our hearts and minds.... that we did everything we could..... That's the way it is in a little terminal...There is no second shift...nobody else is there to take your place, there are no casuals...there never has been.... I work the office and man it, alone, all by myself, too....

I agree with you..."WHERE IS THE BACK UP !".... It's never been here, BRUCE ! Not here in this little "spit" of a termninal... Even before Yellow bought Roadway...... Ya know...some people call us a N.I.T. Yeah, a NIT...know what a NIT is? In biology , it is an insect larvae... like a gnat, little bug...just swat it... But N.I.T means "NON-IMPACT-TERMINAL"...yeah, well every river begins at the stream.......and it all flows into the Ocean.... So what kind of a NIT are we? Nit-Wits maybe????? Come visit me anytime.... Sit a spell....and spend some time.... Come to Daytona Beach and visit the SUNSHINE STATE ! I'll even offer you up a glass of sweet tea....

Just presenting a side of the story that you might not realize, and others out there as well.... We are a tiny part of this whole mess, and here is our tiny little story .....

There are only 2 Teamster companies left out here. UPS marches to the beat of their own drum.

Like so many others, you forget about ABF. Also, local management is not a whole lot more informed than you, and nothing goes out on those computers that they don't want to get out. Finally, you have exposed yourself completely. Either you aren't concerned about keeping your job, or you are stretching the truth.

It might be being confused with the number of members under contract with YRCW, I.E. Yellow, Roadway & Holland = 55,000
See Letter from Hoffa to Local 705, Roadway forums.

the fact is yrc is shutting 200 terminals. thats like shutting down estes or r&l. its huge. either yrc has lost that much freight or plans on it. no way can yellow or roadway have enough capacity to absorb that much. or maybe they already lost that much.

the fact is yrc is shutting 200 terminals. thats like shutting down estes or r&l. its huge. either yrc has lost that much freight or plans on it. no way can yellow or roadway have enough capacity to absorb that much. or maybe they already lost that much.

They are not closing them, per se. They are merging them. They have been doing this throughout the system now for over a year. Besides, how do you know exactly how they are going to do it at each location? Maybe in big cities they will make one a break and the other an end-of-line. There are a myriad of scenarios. Each location will offer a different solution. But if it all seems useless and futile, then, by all means, pack it in and head elsewhere. Everyone junior to you will be forever grateful.

Like so many others, you forget about ABF. Also, local management is not a whole lot more informed than you, and nothing goes out on those computers that they don't want to get out. Finally, you have exposed yourself completely. Either you aren't concerned about keeping your job, or you are stretching the truth.

The two teamsters left ARE ABF and YRC... I didn't forget about ABF... Yellow / Roadway is ONE company and has been since the buy out. I am not concerned about my job.... My kids are grown college, educated, have good jobs & homes, my house is paid for.... and quite frankly, I don't feel like working anymore! Fire me, Plz, and put me out of my misery ! But SS says I can't "retire" yet.... Every year I don't work , will be less benefits paid monthly to me. Or do you think I'm one of those women who will just collect my HUSBAND'S SS????

And if you thinking I'm stretching the truth, hey, whatever ! I have no reason to lie........

The two teamsters left ARE ABF and YRC... I didn't forget about ABF... Yellow / Roadway is ONE company and has been since the buy out. I am not concerned about my job.... My kids are grown college, educated, have good jobs & homes, my house is paid for.... and quite frankly, I don't feel like working anymore! Fire me, Plz, and put me out of my misery ! But SS says I can't "retire" yet.... Every year I don't work , will be less benefits paid monthly to me. Or do you think I'm one of those women who will just collect my HUSBAND'S SS????

And if you thinking I'm stretching the truth, hey, whatever ! I have no reason to lie........
Blue, the last time i talked to SS they told me it was the last 35yrs you worked & they had a way to make the money = & average it all out & if you diden't have 35yrs they gave you a 0 for every year you diden't have to make 35yrs. From that they figured what you would get,