Yellow | YRCW to reduce Teamster jobs by 15-20 Thousand!

crazies out there

A bit off topic, but you touched on something I was just thinking about.

My wife was on the way home to Ohio yesterday. She stopped at a Pilot for a potty break. While she was in the bathroom, someone broke the windshield on the car. Needless to say, in spite of all the witnesses, no one "SAW" anything. Since it was a stupid act anyway, I didn't mention the Teamster sticker in the window may have prompted it happening.
damn shame...did she get home ok then? She was probably both angry and scared.
Hard to say about your Teamster stickier theory. Possible , but could have been about anything or nothing for that matter. Just a random act of stupidity.

A bit off topic, but you touched on something I was just thinking about.

My wife was on the way home to Ohio yesterday. She stopped at a Pilot for a potty break. While she was in the bathroom, someone broke the windshield on the car. Needless to say, in spite of all the witnesses, no one "SAW" anything. Since it was a stupid act anyway, I didn't mention the Teamster sticker in the window may have prompted it happening.

That's exactly why I DON"T put stickers of any kind on my vehicle, you never know who your going to PiXX OFF!

A bit off topic also, here... but need to be said...

VWAGGS,

A few years back my ole Dad made a woden lawn ornament ( hobby) that had said "two ole crows live here" The male crow had my hubby name on his Bib overhauls, and the female had my name on her dress. ( On the chest part ) Some guy I didn;t know know knocks on my door and calls me by name. I said, how did you know my name? He pointed to the little lawn ornament sign in the flower bed of my front lawn. THAT THING IS GONE NOW ! When our daughter was a teen and driving we bought her a front license plate with her firat name and a design on it. Someone pointed out to me, that this was a bad idea...Some bad man ( or even a woman) could come up to her and call her by name, and say her MOM or Dad was in trouble, and asked him ( a friends of MOM or DAD ) to come get you (her) Well, That personal ( flea market air brush) plate was TRASHED after that !

It's just a shame, ain't it? The way you gotta be these days....

Saw an interesting piece on the Roadway forum yesterday. One post had said "The suits were here today, and we all had big meeting and this is what they told us". This caught my attention because my roadmen have been asking me if the " suits " have been yet or are they coming here. My TM is on vacation, so I won't have a clue until Monday...

He explained "in nut shell" that yellow will still delivering yellow freight, and roadway will still be delivering Roadway freight. They will share buildings, and you may see a Roadway Tractor pulling a Yellow pup and a Roadway pup ( or any combination ) . The individual brands will be delivered to the satelite terminal where Yellow P& D will deiver to Yellow customers, and Roadway P& D will still deliver To Roadway customers, in their own brand of equipment.... This makes sense to me. We still have to use the equipment the way it is. Can't possibly buy all new equipment. They'd be forking out a lot of money for paint, and causes customers to hava a sour face, seeing the wrong brand at their door. So I think many years down the road, you will YRC eventually one day, and not Yellow or Roadway anymore.

This is good news for us here at Daytona. If this works out this way, then only 2 men ( the two who are currently laid off at Roadway & Yellow,) and 10 out of the 12 will still have a job. As we will have 2 routes per area, one for Yellow and one for Roadway.

Okay, after your last post to me, I am going to respond to this one. Of course Yellow tractors are and will be pulling Roadway trailers and vise versa. We had Roadway and USF equpiment in our yard for a long time before I retired three years ago. And you think I don't know squat about what is happening anymore because I'm retired. I have two sons who drive for Yellow. One is probably going to be out of work and the other is going to lose a bunch of seniority, so I am fully vested and resent when someone suggests I don't really deserve a place in the debate. And I am being calm right now. In reality, you really are making me mad. And they will not be repainting anything, in my opinion. UPS hasn't repainted a lot of the Overnite stuff, and I don't believe YRC will either. They'll run it like it is until it wears out, and replace it with equipment with the new logo. Big deal! They already are sharing buildings and now they will be sharing every building that they keep, and sell or stop renting what they don't. But this idea of Yellow drivers delivering Yellow freight on Yellow trucks and Roadway drivers delivering Roadway freight on Roadway trucks is EXACTLY what is done now. Please explain to me how this can possibly be done with a dovetailed seniority list. This will be a merged company, what is so confusing about this concept? As the other poster said, someone is speaking with a forked tongue if they are saying this. Like I said it would be nice if it were going to be this way, but why, then, did they merge? Sales has already been out conditioning the customers of this change, and the people who actually make the decision what company is hauling their freight aren't standing at the window seeing what color the truck is that backs up to their dock. And how do you possibly rectify in your mind that there would be a need for more drivers to deliver the freight if it were divided up between Yellow and Roadway, or mixed and delivered? There still would be exactly the same number of bills taking up the same amount of room on a trailer either way. Now I know that I am old and decrepit and my feeble mind is fading rapidly, but this stuff ain't rocket science. At least you can be optimistic that they are actually adding doors to your facility. Evidently they aren't planning on closing it. And, golly, I can't think of a nicer place to have to work than Daytona. Of course I am a NASCAR fan, so I am biased.

Good Grief......

Never said you don't know what you are talking about. Never said you don't deserve a spot on this forum.... Check my words......

This is merely my OPINION to answer your question:

Yellow/Roadway are merging to save tons of money on buildings( this means elctric bills, phone bills, the whole nine yards that building briing ). We are merging Vendors, such as the same propane company, Tire company, mechanic, etc. These espenses are fixed and a given. To reduce your fixed expenses , will save anybody's budget, (even the housewife's budget ) and give the company a lot of money back. This is "smart bookkeeping ....

At Daytona/Yellow EOL, Roadway has 6 routes, ( Palm Coast, Ormond Beach, The South, The West ,Sanford and the "city" Yellow has the 5 routes. All the same except for Sanford. Yellow used to have two Cocoa routes. ( Roaday has an EOL in Cocoa but was given to Orlando Yellow to service a few years ago. I won't be surprised if they take Sanford away from Daytona (45 minutes one way to get there) and give it to Orlando ( 20 miles away ) as they did with Yellow's Cocoa runs.

My first thought was that 6 out of 12 P&D will lose their job, the minute the construction is done and Yellow moves in. But other info I had been reading gave me an idea that maybe Daytona Yellow/Roadway will have 2 x 5 Routes = 10. One Yellow and One Roadway will go to the North, South,West, etc, and perhaps 10 men out of the twelve will have a job, and seniority is in the "background " on my thinking.

Whenever a company needed to cut expenses, it was ALWAYS in labor. Maybe the old ways of doing things are just that: The old way. And the maybe the new thinking is to NOT cut soo much labor, but to cut the jobs that we are paying out big salaries to, and even customer cares reps, and billing clerks. And find other ways to save money, like in our fixed expenses.... buildings, electric bills, vendors, etc.....

Yellow EOL,Daytona, still employs 2 partime billing clerks. The woman that retired and I took her place, here at Roadway, used to bill the bills. I don't. I use to fax them . Now, I send them Thru the internet( we call it IMAGE) to central billing at our breakbulk in Valdosta, as each trailer comes in off the street. So, the two Yellow part-time billing clerks will be losing their job, for sure.... Yellow still sends their bills for Records thru truckmail to Atlanta breakbulk. Roadway's image/fax machine sends it to billing and to Records at the same time. Modern office machines and Nextels will take a lot of jobs.

This merely what I meant when I said that you are retired..... And maybe Big Breakbulks have already been "doing " and using the modern technolgy, but there are many,many small EOL's that still work "in the stone age". My two managers STILL post the T cards on the board ! ( Waste of paper & ink )

Where's the savings?
Buildings, Management, and "back-office jobs. Maybe not as much labor as feared. 15-20 thousand jobs lost, might be a whole less Teamsters and more like management, fixed expenses, and back-office. The Ops manager at Yellow EOL was one of 400(management) to lose their job at Yellow, THE DAY BEFORE the "announcement".

The Roadway terminal is about 1 mile from the Racetrack. Over the years we have had lots of employees park in the yard and walk to the race ( so they don't have to pay for parking ) It had grown to be a huge nightmare there for awhile to try to conduct business, during the races. Especially the Feb race, where it is known as "speed weeks" -3 weeks of racing, not just the 500But the Speedway has worked alot of this out, and last year business went along pretty smoothly. I am here in Daytona because CF closed their Big Breakbulk, and my hubby got a transfer. 7 years later, CF went out of business. So, I may be "the greatest place on Earth to work", but We are literally 1000 miles away from our families. 18 years with CF, hubby had when they went out. He still drives a truck, over the road, but he'll never be a Teamster again... (The job is not there, and try to find another one)

"And I am being calm right now. In reality, you really are making me mad." Quoted by Larry Retired.

Remember Larry...you only choose to be mad. No one makes you mad.
Just kidding.:rolleyes1:

Not to butt in on your thread, but I live in Chicago and I've been seeing alot of new YRC Worldwide logo pups and vans driving around. I also work for UPSF and they probably won't rebrand or paint over any old Overnight trailers because they would have to invest a few billion in bondo,sheetmetal,and rivits first.:icon_dance:

Not to butt in on your thread, but I live in Chicago and I've been seeing alot of new YRC Worldwide logo pups and vans driving around. I also work for UPSF and they probably won't rebrand or paint over any old Overnight trailers because they would have to invest a few billion in bondo,sheetmetal,and rivits first.:icon_dance:

I say, Feel free to in butt in on the thread.... We are all in the same business, no matter what color shirt we wear. I welcome all points of view....

I work in the office of Roaday EOL. I don't expect to have a job when it's all said and done. I'm doing everything I can do now, to reduce my "fixed expenses". But, I am here because I can offer another point of view, and another aspect of the business.

700 new Trailers with the YRC logo were just bought and introduced into the "system" Yes, YRC is moving towards that. 700 hundred is not that many. Even if I try to think about the memo I got, I could even say 700 new pups and 700 new vans... It didn't really specify that. Still 1,400 nw trailers is not that much. It Just said 700. Again, I posted this memo at my EOL because my TM didn't.... "700 new trailers for YRC with the new logo" The difference with UPS is that the same little "brown truck" will show up at Dest. Most of UPS is "small package" I get customers showing up at my door all the time because their package is 1 inch to big or 1 pound too heavy for UPS or Fed Ex...... What UPS is growing into, by buying Overnight, I can't say....

It makes sense you would see them in a big city area, and I have not seen the new trailers yet. I'm sure I will tho. YRC has also bought a whole bunch of old trailers from other Non-union T/L carriers. Heartland, Schneider... even some old CF trailers. How do I know? Even tho it's painted white, I can still see the "Heartland" logo that used to be there. Schneider? They have the "buttons" on their trailers, and when a trailer gets scratched, the Orange paint is a dead giveaway. CF trailer?.... the old trailer number can still be seen on the inside/outside, and they had red hubs.....

From now on, all new equipment will no doubt have the YRC logo..... but this will take quite awhile to complete.... Yes, eventually, Roadway and Yellow will be YRC.... I figured this 5 years ago, when Yellow bought Roadway... Only this time it's different, than all the rest of the buyouts, and mergers.... This one has taken 5 years so far..... Maybe it's the new way of doing business.....

Speaking of trailers... I have had Yellow trailers in my yard from time ot time for quite awhile now. They come me to as empties, from Miami to clear my OB. Now I'm starting to see REIMER (Canada) coming into my yard, as empty from Maimi to clear my freight. I try to load them out next day. This to me, is part of the "velocity network"... Full trailers, more direct loads, stopping less and less along the way , to be swung again, and again, and now we are trying to get them back to where they belong.

And here is another little office secret... Some of you guys are complaining about not servicing customers, and the freight just sits in yer yard....

There are shippers who are mounting debts. Shall we pick them up today? Knowing they owe us like 25k in freight charges? Yeah, we still do, but then, how do we pay our bills....

And if you see a trailer sitting... maybe it is a direct load, and we time to get it there, cuz we don't gotta stop at this place or that place to have the freight worked and swung again....Business as usual is not business as usual anymore.... and yeah, we got some bugs to work out on this....

I recently decided to hold back one piece of freight, one drum, one bill.... Yep. I could have put it on the one biller trailer going to Laredo, Tx, and have it stop at Valdosta to take this one bill, one drum off... But if I send this Laredo DIRECT, My terminal gets all the revenue.... and not share it with all the stops along the way... and it will get there faster, if it can go straight there, and not have any stops along the way. How do you think the T/L been doing business for all these years? I don't do this all the time... I make these decissions as they come up..... It's one bill, and it's one drum...If we can't get it in the LTL, then I ain't putting on the T/L...... And I understand why a trailer is still sitting from yesterday, when I come to work the next day..... I closed the load, I know what's in there.....We have time to get it there, cuz we don't gotta stop here and there.....

My managers are freaking out all the time... they don't get it.... they are NOT UP with the program, and they don't wanna be either...... They blame Relay ( the road and the dispatchers) and they blame P&D..... They been here too long already......

Of course, my managers had a fat fit, next day, cuz I held back 1 drum, and why didn't I send it out ? Which by the way, they don't even compain to me, the P&D drivers(who also work the dock) get the Flack for that decission... But, sorry... my old farts management don't get the big picture...... ( No, Larry Retired, I am not calling you an old fart, OKAY?)

UH, SORRY BOSS... but if you didn't want me to be doing this, then maybe YOU should have BEEN HERE........ BUT, they don't say anything to me.... they B---- to the P&D,instead(and P&D tells me about it).....My managers don't say anything to me, EVER ,cuz I get it..... and they are happy I make them look good in the end.....

Else, if I didn't ..guess who would be called into the office...... and I do these things for 1/3 the salary they get.....

And here is another little office secret... Some of you guys are complaining about not servicing customers, and the freight just sits in yer yard....

There are shippers who are mounting debts. Shall we pick them up today? Knowing they owe us like 25k in freight charges? Yeah, we still do, but then, how do we pay our bills....

And if you see a trailer sitting... maybe it is a direct load, and we time to get it there, cuz we don't gotta stop at this place or that place to have the freight worked and swung again....Business as usual is not business as usual anymore.... and yeah, we got some bugs to work out on this....

I recently decided to hold back one piece of freight, one drum, one bill.... Yep. I could have put it on the one biller trailer going to Laredo, Tx, and have it stop at Valdosta to take this one bill, one drum off... But if I send this Laredo DIRECT, My terminal gets all the revenue.... and not share it with all the stops along the way... and it will get there faster, if it can go straight there, and not have any stops along the way. How do you think the T/L been doing business for all these years? I don't do this all the time... I make these decissions as they come up..... It's one bill, and it's one drum...If we can't get it in the LTL, then I ain't putting on the T/L...... And I understand why a trailer is still sitting from yesterday, when I come to work the next day..... I closed the load, I know what's in there.....We have time to get it there, cuz we don't gotta stop here and there.....

My managers are freaking out all the time... they don't get it.... they are NOT UP with the program, and they don't wanna be either...... They blame Relay ( the road and the dispatchers) and they blame P&D..... They been here too long already......

Of course, my managers had a fat fit, next day, cuz I held back 1 drum, and why didn't I send it out ? Which by the way, they don't even compain to me, the P&D drivers(who also work the dock) get the Flack for that decission... But, sorry... my old farts management don't get the big picture...... ( No, Larry Retired, I am not calling you an old fart, OKAY?)

UH, SORRY BOSS... but if you didn't want me to be doing this, then maybe YOU should have BEEN HERE........ BUT, they don't say anything to me.... they B---- to the P&D,instead(and P&D tells me about it).....My managers don't say anything to me, EVER ,cuz I get it..... and they are happy I make them look good in the end.....

Else, if I didn't ..guess who would be called into the office...... and I do these things for 1/3 the salary they get.....

Excuse me! Let's see, quote, "If you are OUT of the workforce, then you are NOT UP TO DATE. You don't have a CLUE of what is happening TODAY... If you wish to be helpful, then say something worthwhile...

Oh yes, and I am breaking the rules by attaching the person and not the post. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. My issue with you from the get-go has been your propensity to make unfounded assumptions. As they say, it makes an a** out of you and me. You have certainly accomplished that.

And it is true that the company will see savings by merging. I believe they have stated a $200 million savings. But they also say that it will give them coverage of the market unequaled by any competitor.

Finally, you really seem stressed. I think that this job is not healthy for you.

Good Grief......

Never said you don't know what you are talking about. Never said you don't deserve a spot on this forum.... Check my words......

This is merely my OPINION to answer your question:

Yellow/Roadway are merging to save tons of money on buildings( this means elctric bills, phone bills, the whole nine yards that building briing ). We are merging Vendors, such as the same propane company, Tire company, mechanic, etc. These espenses are fixed and a given. To reduce your fixed expenses , will save anybody's budget, (even the housewife's budget ) and give the company a lot of money back. This is "smart bookkeeping ....

At Daytona/Yellow EOL, Roadway has 6 routes, ( Palm Coast, Ormond Beach, The South, The West ,Sanford and the "city" Yellow has the 5 routes. All the same except for Sanford. Yellow used to have two Cocoa routes. ( Roaday has an EOL in Cocoa but was given to Orlando Yellow to service a few years ago. I won't be surprised if they take Sanford away from Daytona (45 minutes one way to get there) and give it to Orlando ( 20 miles away ) as they did with Yellow's Cocoa runs.

My first thought was that 6 out of 12 P&D will lose their job, the minute the construction is done and Yellow moves in. But other info I had been reading gave me an idea that maybe Daytona Yellow/Roadway will have 2 x 5 Routes = 10. One Yellow and One Roadway will go to the North, South,West, etc, and perhaps 10 men out of the twelve will have a job, and seniority is in the "background " on my thinking.

Whenever a company needed to cut expenses, it was ALWAYS in labor. Maybe the old ways of doing things are just that: The old way. And the maybe the new thinking is to NOT cut soo much labor, but to cut the jobs that we are paying out big salaries to, and even customer cares reps, and billing clerks. And find other ways to save money, like in our fixed expenses.... buildings, electric bills, vendors, etc.....

Yellow EOL,Daytona, still employs 2 partime billing clerks. The woman that retired and I took her place, here at Roadway, used to bill the bills. I don't. I use to fax them . Now, I send them Thru the internet( we call it IMAGE) to central billing at our breakbulk in Valdosta, as each trailer comes in off the street. So, the two Yellow part-time billing clerks will be losing their job, for sure.... Yellow still sends their bills for Records thru truckmail to Atlanta breakbulk. Roadway's image/fax machine sends it to billing and to Records at the same time. Modern office machines and Nextels will take a lot of jobs.

This merely what I meant when I said that you are retired..... And maybe Big Breakbulks have already been "doing " and using the modern technolgy, but there are many,many small EOL's that still work "in the stone age". My two managers STILL post the T cards on the board ! ( Waste of paper & ink )

Where's the savings?
Buildings, Management, and "back-office jobs. Maybe not as much labor as feared. 15-20 thousand jobs lost, might be a whole less Teamsters and more like management, fixed expenses, and back-office. The Ops manager at Yellow EOL was one of 400(management) to lose their job at Yellow, THE DAY BEFORE the "announcement".

The Roadway terminal is about 1 mile from the Racetrack. Over the years we have had lots of employees park in the yard and walk to the race ( so they don't have to pay for parking ) It had grown to be a huge nightmare there for awhile to try to conduct business, during the races. Especially the Feb race, where it is known as "speed weeks" -3 weeks of racing, not just the 500But the Speedway has worked alot of this out, and last year business went along pretty smoothly. I am here in Daytona because CF closed their Big Breakbulk, and my hubby got a transfer. 7 years later, CF went out of business. So, I may be "the greatest place on Earth to work", but We are literally 1000 miles away from our families. 18 years with CF, hubby had when they went out. He still drives a truck, over the road, but he'll never be a Teamster again... (The job is not there, and try to find another one)

Excuse me! Let's see, quote, "If you are OUT of the workforce, then you are NOT UP TO DATE. You don't have a CLUE of what is happening TODAY... If you wish to be helpful, then say something worthwhile..."

Also you accuse me of breaking the rules by attacking the person and not the post. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. My issue with you has been your propensity to make unfounded assumptions. As they say, it makes an a** out of you and me. You certainly have accomplished that.

It is true that the company will save money with this merger, I believe they said $200 million. But they also said that it will give them coverage of the market that will be unequaled. And this 15-20 thousand number was stated by someone not from the company. Did you see his picture by his article. He is some stupid journalist, with his cutesy little hat, who fancies himself an all-knowing guru of business. Most business reporters or columnists probably couldn't run your office, or do your job, if you trained them forever. But they sure can talk a good line.

Finally, you seem to be extremely stressed. I don't think this job is healthy for you.

Let me see if I can explain what I am saying a little bit further....

What I am am reporting is only about this little spit of a spot here in Daytona. Maybe others in there little spot of this whole big comapny can read my posts, and say....hmmmm...that sounds like here too....

I'm telling every one of my driver to STAY IN THERE. And here's why ( among other reasons ) Office people ( TM's ) have numbers they have to answer to each day and each week. If they are not making their numbers jive, then they are in big trouble. We have numbers for all sorts of things..... We have numbers for P&D and numbers for dock. Our Dock numbers look ok !The P& D numbers look bad.... We sit and wait at shippers cuz the freight ain't ready yet, etc.... but we wait anyway.... If 2 men were in each area of the 5 and not all on the same start time, then we could reduce OT, that is caused from the sit and wait at shippers..... which puts swinging behind, and road men to wait, cuz they're coming, and we haven't even started the OB yet ( but we were suppose to)..... Cuz one man got most the freight on his trailer today, and he's still sittin at this customer for 2 hours now ! Let him bring the freight back , and let #2 man in the area, with the later start time, pick this shipper up....on regular time, and the process can still move forward, instead of having these "dead time" spots.....

I am hoping they give my managers (Roadway) the boot! My TM got enough walnut plaques to build a kid's swing set in their back yard. ( what a wste of money for all that walnut) But he ain't done squat as far as keeping up with the program ever since Yellow bought Roadway... He's just been riding riding on his coat tails ever since. And get somebody NEW in here to run this Yellow/Roadway Daytona. ( Whether I still have a job or not ) A Yellow guy from Orlando, who's job title is SERVICE CENTER MANAGER, oversees the Yellow Daytona terminal right now. I looked him up in the Yellow Employee directory. He takes care of 3 terminals right now here in Florida. I hope he moves over to the new Yellow/Roadway terminal in the Roadway building here at Daytona, and fixes things.... Becasue our #1 teamster gets 14 hours every day, and the bottom guy has to take another CC day tomorrow, to avoid the layoff papers... That's just not right, that my senior man has to be such a $$$ hog, (and the TM allows/ pacifies) this, and the bottom man gets no hours... This is just not necessary.... and it ain't right.....

Okay, They already are sharing buildings and now they will be sharing every building that they keep, and sell or stop renting what they don't. But this idea of Yellow drivers delivering Yellow freight on Yellow trucks and Roadway drivers delivering Roadway freight on Roadway trucks is EXACTLY what is done now. Please explain to me how this can possibly be done with a dovetailed seniority list. This will be a merged company, what is so confusing about this concept? As the other poster said, someone is speaking with a forked tongue if they are saying this. Like I said it would be nice if it were going to be this way, but why, then, did they merge? Sales has already been out conditioning the customers of this change, and the people who actually make the decision what company is hauling their freight aren't standing at the window seeing what color the truck is that backs up to their dock. And how do you possibly rectify in your mind that there would be a need for more drivers to deliver the freight if it were divided up between Yellow and Roadway, or mixed and delivered? There still would be exactly the same number of bills taking up the same amount of room on a trailer either way.

Ok, I already tried to explain a bit of this in my last post, of how they may keep more P&D drivers/dock men at my place, even tho we only have 5-6 routes. To avoid OT and sit and wait... The shippers are under stress also, ans it's not their fault they have last minute orders to fullfill and less workers to the job as well.... Pay their freight bills or not, we wait, and we pick them up anyway. The ecomony is in the tiolet ! I'm sure we've all been late in making a payment before.... but now IT'S a BIG DEAL, if the shipper is 45 days late...even tho his place was bought out by JOE BLOW comapny, and we are still sending the bill to the old address.... There's a whole lot more going here than meets the eye.... That's all I'm trying to say....

Sales people are out selling the VELOCITY NETWORK concept, and how this is going to work. That's why I hold one piece of freight back, and send out a DIRECT, as well as LTL.... I GET IT ! I sent out 2 pups tonight DIRECT.... 13 skids and 14 skids..... The skids were as tall as I was on non deckable trailers... The weight was NOT THERE to meet my LOAD FACTOR numbers--- This move is gonna kill my load factor numbers---TOO BAD, I said... sometimes ya just gotta go with yer BRAIN and pzz on the numbers.... Turns out, I didn't make my numbers tonight by only 600 pounds.... BIG DEAL ! I think I did the right thing, the way I had loaded it, and I think the UPPERS are actually looking for someone who is not a ROBOT and just do the same ole, same ole, business as usual....

I work in a small terminal, probably the size of your master beroom..... very little gets unnoticed or passed by in such a small space, from sales, TM and Ops guy, and me.... and my dock men do what I tell them to do, and explain to them WHY we are doing it this way. And they do it.... because now, after I explained it to them, it make sense to them.... And I got the dispatch Nextel in my hand, but hey, driver, if you got a better idea, you can suggest it to me, and I'll go for it! Not like your managers that say JUST DO WHAT I TOLD YOU TO DO ! --and not even an explanation...( Yeah, like I wanna jump off the end of pier, just cuz you said so) My drivers/teamsters understand the changes in the way we do business, and so do I......

And it's not just for the COMPANY...---people work for this company...it is their job security also, to adapt, and learn.... else we will just be another CF, in the end... YRC Stock is sooo low, only a couple more points lower and this will be the same number CF was at when they went out.... CF & ROADWAY always had stock numbers well above the 40-50$ per share..... 14 bucks, and dropping... that's scarey...... CF was at 8 when they closed......scared the begeezus out of me, when I saw YRC stock at 10 bucks last winter....
Just my building will still be here, because they are adding on. Doesn't mean I'll still be here..... or how many teamsters will still be here. The building will just still be here......and Road men will still come and clear the freight... that's all it means....

Here's another thought....

maybe ya'll should just stop calling us EOL..... and start calling us SOL... START OF THE LINE......

It's a domino effect, ya know......

Let me see if I can explain what I am saying a little bit further....

What I am am reporting is only about this little spit of a spot here in Daytona. Maybe others in there little spot of this whole big comapny can read my posts, and say....hmmmm...that sounds like here too....

I'm telling every one of my driver to STAY IN THERE. And here's why ( among other reasons ) Office people ( TM's ) have numbers they have to answer to each day and each week. If they are not making their numbers jive, then they are in big trouble. We have numbers for all sorts of things..... We have numbers for P&D and numbers for dock. Our Dock numbers look ok !The P& D numbers look bad.... We sit and wait at shippers cuz the freight ain't ready yet, etc.... but we wait anyway.... If 2 men were in each area of the 5 and not all on the same start time, then we could reduce OT, that is caused from the sit and wait at shippers..... which puts swinging behind, and road men to wait, cuz they're coming, and we haven't even started the OB yet ( but we were suppose to)..... Cuz one man got most the freight on his trailer today, and he's still sittin at this customer for 2 hours now ! Let him bring the freight back , and let #2 man in the area, with the later start time, pick this shipper up....on regular time, and the process can still move forward, instead of having these "dead time" spots.....

I am hoping they give my managers (Roadway) the boot! My TM got enough walnut plaques to build a kid's swing set in their back yard. ( what a wste of money for all that walnut) But he ain't done squat as far as keeping up with the program ever since Yellow bought Roadway... He's just been riding riding on his coat tails ever since. And get somebody NEW in here to run this Yellow/Roadway Daytona. ( Whether I still have a job or not ) A Yellow guy from Orlando, who's job title is SERVICE CENTER MANAGER, oversees the Yellow Daytona terminal right now. I looked him up in the Yellow Employee directory. He takes care of 3 terminals right now here in Florida. I hope he moves over to the new Yellow/Roadway terminal in the Roadway building here at Daytona, and fixes things.... Becasue our #1 teamster gets 14 hours every day, and the bottom guy has to take another CC day tomorrow, to avoid the layoff papers... That's just not right, that my senior man has to be such a $$$ hog, (and the TM allows/ pacifies) this, and the bottom man gets no hours... This is just not necessary.... and it ain't right.....

You are always explaining things like the rest of us don't get it. When I started at Yellow, we had a seven door dock with a flatbed backed up to the end door and six trailers backed up to the flatbed. By the time the boss showed up at 7am, the freight was piled so high between each door, that it was like walking or driving in tunnels. This was in the days when 80% of our freight was wheeler freight. Then we moved into a new 20-door facility and walked that dock all night long, a lot of it in sub-zero weather. Then I was moved to Denver, a 120-door break. So I've seen it from both sides.

We are all well aware of the numbers, it has been discussed adinfinitum here. And way back years ago, when I was working swing, alone, I was getting my a** reamed because I was not cubing my trailers out. The fact was, if I had enough freight to fill 3/4 of a 45, that is what I showed. It turned out that, even though that was all the freight I had, I was supposed to show a 90 or 95. Okay so I learned how to play their silly little game. I know a hostler down in Denver who has figured out how to make his moves show numbers that are actually impossible to achieve. And he is the laziest a-hole in the yard. Of course his supervisors know this, but since his absurd numbers make them look good, they let him continue this deception. It causes a lot of animosity around there, but, hey, as long as their numbers look good, so be it.

And when I was on the street, there were many times that I had to sit at a customer's business and wait while on OT. And the senior men at Denver get maximum OT every day, while some junior men struggle or even miss days. This is the way it has always been, and it ain't gonna' change.

And the managers here are all running multiple terminals. This is a relatively new occurrence, but it is the way of the future, at least until business picks up. Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not active anymore so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Basically what I'm saying is that with the economy in the toilet, things are tight. And what is happening here is not at all comparable with CF. Let me repeat that - NOTHING. CF was losing their a** for several years before they closed up. I don't even know how they kept going for as long as they did. You know, Yellow tried to buy them before they bought Roadway. But CF wouldn't sell, so everyone over there got screwed in the end. Well not the big shots, but all the lowly workers. The other thing I'm trying to say is that we have all experienced the frustrations that you are witnessing. I did it for over 30 years. It is the nature of the business. And there are businesses that put ours to shame. I've worked at some.

You are always explaining things like the rest of us don't get it.

There are a lot of new upper management around here. The Good OLE BOYS have been canned, many of them shortly after Yellow bought Roadway. Recently , my TM had told me NOT to put 95 or 99% anymore. ( Hey, I was only putting it that way, cuz you told me to) They are taking pictures when the trailers get to the breakbulk and checking this, he told me. I,too, have had to take photos as I had sent them out. This is instant info with the new digital cameras, and send them in an Email. Not polaroids by truckmail.

About 2 years ago, was the first time our linehaul had ever seen an I & E statement. They told me, yeah, there was big meeting to explain the dern thing to them.(They had mentioned to me, because our I&E was posted at that time.) And they could actually read it and understood what it means. So... they did have a meeting for you guys ! My TM posts our I&E all the time. My P&D look at it, but don't know what it means, only the comment or two, written by the TM that says "GOOD !" or "BAD". They think the higher the percentage the better. A natural assumption, I 'd say. But on some of those columns, the lower the percentage, the better.... My drivers don't know alot of things. My P& D loads the freight on the dock, but I close the loads. I put the percentages there, not them. So, too, does Yellow, because I used to work over there. The new Yellow TM was there everyday for the 1st two weeks. Now, he only comes around maybe once a week. The Yellow P&D/Dock are doing all the office work. They don't even open all the doors anymore, cuz they'd only have to close them more often, once they all go from the dock out to the street every morning, and then again at the close of the day. They all might be doing the same thing once they all move into the same building.

Since we have had a whole bunch of upper management move into the "hot seat", I'm playing by the book. Because maybe things won't be "business as usual" anymore. You think upper management hasn't figured out that people fudge numbers by now?? To look good? And this is no way to run a company?

Sorry, if I am soo naive and just an overly optimistic silly-willy !

Not comparing CF with Yellow/Roadway.... only the PRICE OF STOCK ! Tell me, a stock share that used to be twice,three times what it is now, doesn't scare you. Got a small airline here in Orlando airport. Their airfare is pretty cheap. but their stock is .03...... Think I'm gonna buy a ticket in advance from them, no matter how cheap?

Don't change the way you do business

It all depends on your perspective and what your job is, and where you been all these years. If you are linehaul, you get very little info, if any at all.... The highway is all you know... You always miss the drivers meetings, cuz you are not there....If you are P& D , you may get a bit more info if you have a TM that is willing to print out the Emails, he/she may get and let the P & D drivers read it for themselves, or have driver meetings to keep you informed, etc... The concept of my previous post is already true... My road men have already told me, they have seen Yellow pulling Roadway pups and vice-versa.... I believe them, I'm sorry you don't.... They have info they can pass along to me, and I have info to pass along to them..... I'm stuck in the office, and don't travel the Interstates much. And They have no clue of the ofice stuff.....

I recently posted an Email at work,that I printed out that advises all the Roadway/Reimer drivers that we were getting new pro numbers. This made sense to me, as I can't read Holland or Yellows Pro's when someone calls and asks for info on a shipment at DEST, and I don't have a clue, cuz Holland or Yellow picked it up.... We all need the same pros, so we can all read it on the computer, when customers ask. This has been frustrating for me for quite awhile now. Well, next morning my OPS took the memo down from the driver's board... WHY ???? What did it hurt to NOT inform the P&D that we were getting new pros? "I'll wait until the day we actually get them, the I'll tell them" my OPS guy says.....

My boss called me in the office the day of "Black Friday" to tell me Yellow & Roadway were merging to one comapny. My reply was " I thought we already were".... NO ! He says.... Roadway was always Roadway, and Yellow was always Yellow.... OK BOSS...whatever you say.....

Larry, I work in the office.... Just trying to give some feedback from a place you guys have NO CLUE about... and I'm not afraid to let my road men or my P&D know, and show them the Email I got, so they can read it for themself. I am the only one in the office, at this time. I give them more info than NO INFO..... I do it, because if it is is "sent to all"...and my TM is not posting it or passing it along..... Then I am...... my men have a right to read the same Email that I got also... They only way they can get it, or form opinions of their own.... is to get the info....... without info.... they are left with nothing to go by......

I do not pretend to have a crystal ball or know it all.... just passing along info.... This is not what bluemule says, read it for yourself. Come into the office, sit at my desk, and YOU read it..... for yourself.... Pick and choose what you wish, what to take in, and what to throw out..of yer mind.....

And excuse me, if I had a buzz of hope of what I may have heard, and now think that maybe 10 men, Yellow and Roadway will still have a P&D job here, and not 6 men out of 12 laid off, as was thought before.... Sorry...but it just made sense to me.... and thought it worth mentioning.... Stranger things have been known to happen....

Things are not always the OLD WAYS of doing business anymore..... It just might surprise you that all I'm talking about ...just might come to pass as being true...... Read one of my old posts... I had said, I don't think I will have a job either , after it is all said and done... I'm not doing anything here for my benefit. I work in the office, My fate is questionable and without any resolve.... just offering up some alternative viewpoints...and let the reader decide......... cuz, yeah, nobody knows what will happen... But maybe I just gave someone some hope today to just hang in there and wait and see.... cuz what I say...just might turn out to be the truth... I'm not the only one saying it.......

I am providing an OPINION from ANOTHER SOURCE...the office..... sorry you think I don't know how to be a team player and play ball also and a fair game of it.... ( don't know my *** from 1st base)...... never pretended to.... just offering another side.... I been in the trucking business for a very long time..... And at every aspect and end of it.... Union/ non-union , small business, Line haul, P&D, office, and the big three....CF, Yellow, and now Roadway....

It's all the same business.....
If you do all of the things you say you do (I have no reason to doubt you)...you are sleeping ok at night...keep your guys informed...I believe you have the right idea...and alot of experience in the trucking industry...and...being a line haul driver...I see many truths about what you have said...You are on point...