XPO | 65mph, Is It Just Us Mostly?

I hate new drive tires, the deep lug type I mean. They flex when you turn and give you a feeling of over steer. Hard to steer in a straight line going down the road with them. Of course they're great for traction in the snow though.
A new set of drive tires does give you almost 1 mph over a worn set.
If it matters that much.....

There are a few trucks that were never returned to 65 from 70. I know of one XPO truck with no governor. Easy to get in trouble with I’m sure.
There are also those guys that have friends. You know those friends with laptops. Got got a loaner from the shop one night. No idle cut off, ever bit of HP, and ran as fast as the RPMs would let it. When I took it back to the shop told them they might want to check settings it was not running right. wink wink. They said that was the 3rd time they had to do that to that truck....

A new set of drive tires does give you almost 1 mph over a worn set.
If it matters that much.....
I never seem so many guy bitch about drive tires. I work for companies that ran them down to 3/32 before changing them. You want a fun tire in the rain put some super singles on you truck

I never seem so many guy bitch about drive tires. I work for companies that ran them down to 3/32 before changing them. You want a fun tire in the rain put some super singles on you truck
Xpo is putting used traction tires on trailers instead of new trailer tires . We are alone in this practice. That’s excluding the trash hauler in Nj .

Xpo is putting used traction tires on trailers instead of new trailer tires . We are alone in this practice. That’s excluding the trash hauler in Nj .
That's because we pull tire drive tire at 5/32 or more. Maybe if we stop pulling drive tire early they wouldn't end up on trailers

Anyone enjoying the Brand new Freightliners? OMG…… you get on even the slightest incline, power drops off dramatically. Sometimes with the cruise set, it will for no reason, drop 2-3 mph,on flat land. Get on a real hill, yikes! Feels like it’s going to stall. Dont know if theses new trucks, have a break in period. Makes me nervous at night, hoping I don’t get rear ended by a truck not paying attention, and that’s with my 4 ways flashing. Be safe everyone!

Nah, FedEx has been doing this for years. Don't believe me, check out the next set of FedEx doubles you see parked. Chances are both trailers and converter dolly will have at least one used-up drive tire, and in all likelihood a whole set.

Anyone enjoying the Brand new Freightliners? OMG…… you get on even the slightest incline, power drops off dramatically. Sometimes with the cruise set, it will for no reason, drop 2-3 mph,on flat land. Get on a real hill, yikes! Feels like it’s going to stall. Dont know if theses new trucks, have a break in period. Makes me nervous at night, hoping I don’t get rear ended by a truck not paying attention, and that’s with my 4 ways flashing. Be safe everyone!
Its probably that emissions CRAP under your sleeper. A big gag on your Engine's ability to pass gas and breathe properly.

Ive had some thought and listened to the cries of small and big fleets fighting with 5.04 average fuel per gallon nationally as of yesterday and figure well...

They cut costs for 30 years paid three times as much for modern ::shit:: to try and save a few gallons of fuel almost double the miles per gallon and killed the idling and speed etc.

At 5.00 towards 10.00 a gallon and up... you might as well reach the point that if you are still OPEN and turning wheels just stop with all that restrictive crap and ROLL. Or go home and do something not related to trucking at all for a living.

We used to buy Church Station Wagons with the big 450 blocks in them mid 70's as they were being dumped for 200 bucks. Drop them in the back yard, hoist the big engine out of there... strip the emissions crap off it listen to it ROAR with power it never got to really make then sell it to anyone who wanted them for profit.

At some point the supply of church type vehicles dried up and that was the end of a era for stripping engines for a few dollars.

There are also those guys that have friends. You know those friends with laptops. Got got a loaner from the shop one night. No idle cut off, ever bit of HP, and ran as fast as the RPMs would let it. When I took it back to the shop told them they might want to check settings it was not running right. wink wink. They said that was the 3rd time they had to do that to that truck....
I’m on good terms with my shop and they said “no way” when I asked them to turn up my truck. The computer shows who did it.

I run a Pete where I work. Same issue. Think it is called "Soft Cruise". Where us old timers got used to cruise holding a set speed. At that number. Now cruise seem to stay within 2 to 3 mph range of the set point. Can be annoying

I’m sure you guys will be shooting darts at me for posting this. That’s fine. I never worry or concern myself with how fast my truck will go.
Most don't know about camper tires.... they too have a lowered speed rating on them. I have recently replaced my tires with a higher speed rated tire that is also a better quality tire.

I had a sidewall failure with the stock ones with very low mileage on them doing 40 to 45 miles per hour. I was also on a two lane road... hot that day... around 72 I live in the north.

3 1/2 hour run today, here is who passed me: UPS, OLD DOMINION, ESTES, SAIA, FEDEX FREIGHT, KNIGHT, SWIFTT, WERNER, FEDEX GROUND, AND EVEN YRC. Good for them, the worst part about going 65, is trying to pass a truck going 64 mph. You need so much open highway, in order to have the time to creep pass them, without causing a traffic jam behind you. It seems to me, the slowest trucks on the road now are: May trucking, most Schineder, Stewart, Smart and Final, and .......Xpo Logistics. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. I’m all for safety, but when you get stuck behind these slower trucks, you can’t use cruise control, or else you will drop down to 62mph, to get a safe distance. When we did 70mph, it was great. You were able to separate from the 64mph and lower trucks, and the trucks that did over 70mph, passed you by, leaving you for the most part, by your self, able to set cruise control, and relax. So it’s seems to me, we are the slowest ltl carrier on the road today, it’s strange to me, other carriers don’t feel the need to turn down their tractors.

3 1/2 hour run today, here is who passed me: UPS, OLD DOMINION, ESTES, SAIA, FEDEX FREIGHT, KNIGHT, SWIFTT, WERNER, FEDEX GROUND, AND EVEN YRC. Good for them, the worst part about going 65, is trying to pass a truck going 64 mph. You need so much open highway, in order to have the time to creep pass them, without causing a traffic jam behind you. It seems to me, the slowest trucks on the road now are: May trucking, most Schineder, Stewart, Smart and Final, and .......Xpo Logistics. I’m sure I’m forgetting some. I’m all for safety, but when you get stuck behind these slower trucks, you can’t use cruise control, or else you will drop down to 62mph, to get a safe distance. When we did 70mph, it was great. You were able to separate from the 64mph and lower trucks, and the trucks that did over 70mph, passed you by, leaving you for the most part, by your self, able to set cruise control, and relax. So it’s seems to me, we are the slowest ltl carrier on the road today, it’s strange to me, other carriers don’t feel the need to turn down their tractors.

Most don't know about camper tires.... they too have a lowered speed rating on them. I have recently replaced my tires with a higher speed rated tire that is also a better quality tire.

I had a sidewall failure with the stock ones with very low mileage on them doing 40 to 45 miles per hour. I was also on a two lane road... hot that day... around 72 I live in the north.
Beaver Dam, WI?

I run a Pete where I work. Same issue. Think it is called "Soft Cruise". Where us old timers got used to cruise holding a set speed. At that number. Now cruise seem to stay within 2 to 3 mph range of the set point. Can be annoying
I hate that. I REALLY hate that crap.

Lets have soft trucks, the old NTC 300 in there. And soft on time delivery plus or minus a day.

It's in the computer programming. More fuel efficient to allow the engine to drop speed going uphill and gain it back (and then some) on the other side. Long as you're not too heavy and you can exceed the governer a little on the downhill side, you don't lose time. If you have to engine brake/hold a lower gear because you're heavy, yeah you lose a little time.

My T680 will drop to 63 mph before throttle resumes after I've come down a hill. That's annoying, but not a big deal when I'm governed at 65.

New Cascadias do it differently. If you're on cruise, it'll only let you go 5 mph beyond the governor before it automatically kicks on the engine brake to rein you in. But it'll also kick on "eCoast" mode until then, or until you lose a mph or two. I like Freightliner's way of doing things most of the time better than KW's.

Last edited:
Nah, FedEx has been doing this for years. Don't believe me, check out the next set of FedEx doubles you see parked. Chances are both trailers and converter dolly will have at least one used-up drive tire, and in all likelihood a whole set.
Have seen it in my area . I will take your word you have seen it though.

We (T-force) got 68 back, but that is really nothing.

For people who have only done 65 for a long time, maybe it seems like a blessing. But, for those of us who have had situations where the truck is governed much higher, 68 is nothing but a box of popcorn.......

Last edited: