ABF | ABF and the Teamsters agree to a "voluntary" 70hr/8 day

My only guess is that the union agreed to this because it is voluntary. It doesn't affect you unless you agree to it. But they need to keep it that way.

I swear some guys just want to work themselves to death, and I say let them.
I'm wondering if the IBT is giving ABF a taste of the 34hr rule before contract negotiations in order to get something during contract negotiations?

I'm wondering if the IBT is giving ABF a taste of the 34hr rule before contract negotiations in order to get something during contract negotiations?
You may be on to something here brother. I did not think about that, but it makes sense. After all, getting an MOU overturned is rarely done. In fact, I don’t recall an MOU being overturned in my 28 plus years here. Not saying it hasn‘t happened, I just don’t remember it.

I just got thinking....how can anyone say you have to take a "mandatory" 34 hour restart when the FMCSA says it is voluntary.....so lets say I work a Saturday (more likely to see God then see me work a Saturday) and when done, I have more than 8 hours available for Monday.......I'm protecting my bid and since my bid is only guaranteed 8 hours (and i have more than 8 available) what could they actually do to me if I chose not to take a reset? I would appreciate feedback on this....My thoughts are the union and company are attempting to rewrite law here...

I just got thinking....how can anyone say you have to take a "mandatory" 34 hour restart when the FMCSA says it is voluntary.....so lets say I work a Saturday (more likely to see God then see me work a Saturday) and when done, I have more than 8 hours available for Monday.......I'm protecting my bid and since my bid is only guaranteed 8 hours (and i have more than 8 available) what could they actually do to me if I chose not to take a reset? I would appreciate feedback on this....My thoughts are the union and company are attempting to rewrite law here...
Good question. If you are P/D and never work a 6 th day and always have 2 days off and stay under a 12 hr day the 34 hr reset is a mute point. Example work 5 days at 12 a day then 2 days off you will always be at 60 on a recap. Line haul is a different deal on the extra board, company can abuse that, there are rules on recap that can work to your advantage, I believe you can only use 1 time a week, unless that has changed. YRC went through same thing in 2019 contract, big mess everyone stirred up. If you are young and want to run hard you can with a reset. End result in my opinion is the companies that make the ELD’s have them programmed to follow the FMCSA laws, therefore the companies are offering drivers to use reset if the want.
Know the LAWS as they override the company policy or union contract and exercise your right to rest and everything will be fine.
Huge can of worms and everyone has a can opener in there hand just waiting to prove there point. End result FMCSA RULES ARE THE LAW.

You are given the choice take if want.

Good question. If you are P/D and never work a 6 th day and always have 2 days off and stay under a 12 hr day the 34 hr reset is a mute point. Example work 5 days at 12 a day then 2 days off you will always be at 60 on a recap. Line haul is a different deal on the extra board, company can abuse that, there are rules on recap that can work to your advantage, I believe you can only use 1 time a week, unless that has changed. YRC went through same thing in 2019 contract, big mess everyone stirred up. If you are young and want to run hard you can with a reset. End result in my opinion is the companies that make the ELD’s have them programmed to follow the FMCSA laws, therefore the companies are offering drivers to use reset if the want.
Know the LAWS as they override the company policy or union contract and exercise your right to rest and everything will be fine.
Huge can of worms and everyone has a can opener in there hand just waiting to prove there point. End result FMCSA RULES ARE THE LAW.

You are given the choice take if want.
Good points except the first with the P&D driver...I was talking hypothetically if I were to work a 6th day....I am regularly given assignments that take me past my 12th hour.....they had originally had the ELDs set up where it automatically did the reset, but recently that changed....I actually had to be picked up on a Monday recently 25 minutes from the yard......not the first time I have had to be picked up either....there have been other times where I have had to call them and tell them they have a choice, I can do the pick up or delivery and get picked up on the road, or I can just come back now....they always pick I come back as to not inconvenience them, the people who are supposed to put in 50 hours a week (per ABF rules for them) but rarely, if ever do......

Good points except the first with the P&D driver...I was talking hypothetically if I were to work a 6th day....I am regularly given assignments that take me past my 12th hour.....they had originally had the ELDs set up where it automatically did the reset, but recently that changed....I actually had to be picked up on a Monday recently 25 minutes from the yard......not the first time I have had to be picked up either....there have been other times where I have had to call them and tell them they have a choice, I can do the pick up or delivery and get picked up on the road, or I can just come back now....they always pick I come back as to not inconvenience them, the people who are supposed to put in 50 hours a week (per ABF rules for them) but rarely, if ever do......
If you are given assignments at the start of your shift and company knows this it’s on them, if you take a second or third run and puts you in trouble can the company offer run to junior man that can make the run?
If company says come on in and go over, you are not breaking the law and could be in trouble for refusing an order? Like I said a big can of worms. When YRC did this guys were saying dock time does not count against total

If you are given assignments at the start of your shift and company knows this it’s on them, if you take a second or third run and puts you in trouble can the company offer run to junior man that can make the run?
If company says come on in and go over, you are not breaking the law and could be in trouble for refusing an order? Like I said a big can of worms. When YRC did this guys were saying dock time does not count against total
I have made it quite clear to the company that I want to abide by my supplement which states, "The Union shall have the right to file a grievance against any Employer who consistently insists that employees work more than ten (10) hours a day. This shall apply to city drivers returning to terminal after completing a tour of duty as well as all other classifications." I have easily filed 10 grievances on this article. One time we got a man hired. I once (recently) had to have a meeting with the TM and my BA because I complained about it when I got assigned more work and I never swore or raised my voice, but I was apparently "snotty" (actual quote) to the supervisor....as far as a junior man doing it they have been doing it more lately but even that is hard as we have gotten a lot more work but we have the same amount of men....

Yes they can offer the job to a junior man if you do not have the hours to run. If your hourly they use the known OT rule. ( If its in their favor )
If your on the street and run out of time your out of service per FMCSA. They must come get your sorry ass. If you drive in and something should happen the ticket will have your name on it and the attorneys will have your behind.
As far as dock time if your on the clock your time is running. As soon as you cross into the public street your under FMCSA rules.
Best way to figure it if I am being paid I am on duty.
If I got a dock bid and never leave the yard none of this BS applies

Just wait, it will become mandatory for all given enough time. When it slows down the juniors that wanted this will realize that they have shot themselves in the foot by asking for it. The Seniors on the extra board will hog all of the runs.
"The juniors that wanted this."

I know what senior ABF drivers were like, at least at 034. Anything to prove how macho they were for working crazy hours.

Yes they can offer the job to a junior man if you do not have the hours to run. If your hourly they use the known OT rule. ( If its in their favor )
If your on the street and run out of time your out of service per FMCSA. They must come get your sorry ass. If you drive in and something should happen the ticket will have your name on it and the attorneys will have your behind.
As far as dock time if your on the clock your time is running. As soon as you cross into the public street your under FMCSA rules.
Best way to figure it if I am being paid I am on duty.
If I got a dock bid and never leave the yard none of this BS applies
FMCSA regulations determine when you can or can't legally drive, not how many hours you can work. Any work for which you are paid, on the dock or even as a school crossing guard for instance, counts as "on duty, not driving" time in calculating your available DRIVING hours. Know the law, it is your friend as a driver.

I spent today wrestling with that.

Lets suppose its voluntary. (Remember there was no such thing as 34 anything in my day)

Hey boss. See you in 34 hours. Dont bother me for anything.

WOT!? YER FIRED!!!!

Employment is also voluntary you see. Truckers historically do not decide a damn thing.

If you were out of hours as I was in either Sayre or W. Memphis as I was... on paper that is... if not reality... they would have fired me too. Unemployed. Have all sorts of hours then. Eh?"

Voluntary. HA.

When Uncle Sam creaks out chapter, verse, gospel in rules, regulations and so forth in the Green Book that they ::shit:: annually... the word voluntary does not exist. It only screws everything up for those DOT or Lawmen with tiny minds too small to comprehend such big vast possibilities conferred by such a word.

W Memphis demanded I update my logbook to that hour and 15 minute line now. (Thats my workaround against instant OOS Fines for being caught out of hours...)

Whoops my bad, give me a moment I'll have the log updated for you. I'll find the time.

Such a loaded statement. And the FMCSA wants to hand me 34 precious hours to feast, dance with women and fight in the halls of Valhalla? Oh the joy. (Not....)

And Bosses hate that drivers decide anything. Anything set in stone breaks the bosses balls. So he must fire them. That way whomever is left in his trucking company still employed are less likely to speak up on anything.

And people wondered why I am such a effed up trucker. Be somewhere a thousand miles by sunrise or I am fired. It will be there. I have done 1500 miles next morning *(Defined by before 10 am) provided I dont have a casterated truck to do it in.

If I had a trucking company I would hark back to the old Camel Express days and paint my trailers "Hamster Express." Endless wheeling to please...

Last edited:
They can stick that 70 up there ass. How about paying me correctly and I'll work 45.
They can fix that today.

Salary $3000.00 Increasing at 7% per year.

No gotchas, no minimums, no overly burdensome loopholes to jump, squeeze or otherwise shimmy through and no suits to boot lick. You work whatever they have for you to work every week. Paid instantly without question.

IF the suits think that the drivers room is full of people sleeping along the walls with nothing to do, then they are the ones who have failed to provide the work. They will need to fix it.

With such a salary paying a hell of alot more than 30 dollars a hour for 70 or whatever maximum legal hours availible every 8 days there would be no need for Unions either. Just fire workers until everyone left can put in a days work for that money.