ABF | Compensation Statement

What's wrong with wearing makeup and painting your fingernails, you don't discriminate do you?:15:

Hah! Now you're sticking your head in the Proverbial Lion's Mouth........

Of course we don't discriminate,.........When I wear makeup,....I worry about getting it on my rainbow fright wig and rubber nose,....All that white pancake is hard to scrub off....

Messy makeup is the main reason I switched to Rubber Masks..........Same impact, but less cleanup..........

I had a guy in the Bartonsville Union 76 tell me about the accident first year I drove truck.......I thought he was pulling my leg......
Truck Driver Story, you know.........Years later I found out it was true.......

Wow, Bartonsville 76, first coffee stop on the way to Buffalo back in Maislin days! :smile new:

it's a shopping center now.

Wow, didn't know that, thanks. Haven't been by there in a long time. The former Maislin Montreal terminal (and home office) also was turned into a shopping center many years ago. The former Maislin Champlain, NY terminal building and fuel stop - which still stood for many years - has recently been torn down and made into a NY State truck scale and truck inspection facility. Of course you probably already know the old Maislin East Rutherford terminal location long ago became part of the Meadowlands Sports Complex.

Wow, didn't know that, thanks. Haven't been by there in a long time. The former Maislin Montreal terminal (and home office) also was turned into a shopping center many years ago. The former Maislin Champlain, NY terminal building and fuel stop - which still stood for many years - has recently been torn down and made into a NY State truck scale and truck inspection facility. Of course you probably already know the old Maislin East Rutherford terminal location long ago became part of the Meadowlands Sports Complex.
My partner took out a light pole at the Meadowlands one time, when we got lost looking for the boardwalk.

the last time i delivered to a maislin terminal it was in harrisson nj

Maislin moved from the East Rutherford location (now the site of the Meadowlands Sports Complex) to the new location in Kearny, NJ in the fall of 1974. That Kearny location is just over the border from Harrison actually. That location operated from 1974 till Maislin closed down in 1983.

Maislin moved from the East Rutherford location (now the site of the Meadowlands Sports Complex) to the new location in Kearny, NJ in the fall of 1974. That Kearny location is just over the border from Harrison actually. That location operated from 1974 till Maislin closed down in 1983.

When did Maislin buy Gateway? I was laid off from Gateway in '77,...still on recall list. Called to work in Maislin's Oakmont, Pa. terminal somewhere in the '80's,...worked two months, laid off again.

When did Maislin buy Gateway? I was laid off from Gateway in '77,...still on recall list. Called to work in Maislin's Oakmont, Pa. terminal somewhere in the '80's,...worked two months, laid off again.

I have been fortunate enough to stay with one company. A friend, like you worked for several freightlines to get his time in for retirement. He worked the city & knew a lot of customers. He was called 'Smiley' because he did smile & was pleasant to be around. He could make the rounds in town & pick up freight at just about every business that shipped anything. In fact when a company would close, another company would hire him because of his reputation for 'Scrounging' a load of freight. Customer relations matters.

I think it was around 1979 if I remember correctly. Maislin also bought Quinn that year. I remember a meeting we had with top executives back then telling us to go out and buy boats, motorcycles, new cars, etc., because now Maislin was going to be up there with the big boys (Roadway, CF, etc.) going coast to coast. It was a sad ending four years later for what was a great company at one time. You couldn't run the NY Thruway without seeing plenty of Maislin trucks back in the day.

PS - I ran out to Oakmont a number of times, that was our Pittsburgh terminal. I remember having to hold my nose in order to be able to drink the water at the motel. :smile new:

I think it was around 1979 if I remember correctly. Maislin also bought Quinn that year. I remember a meeting we had with top executives back then telling us to go out and buy boats, motorcycles, new cars, etc., because now Maislin was going to be up there with the big boys (Roadway, CF, etc.) going coast to coast. It was a sad ending four years later for what was a great company at one time. You couldn't run the NY Thruway without seeing plenty of Maislin trucks back in the day.

PS - I ran out to Oakmont a number of times, that was our Pittsburgh terminal. I remember having to hold my nose in order to be able to drink the water at the motel. :smile new:

Ahh,....That's because the Oakmont terminal got it's water from the Allegheny river....Now, if you were on the South Side of Pittsburgh, you'd get your water from the Monongahela,........in which many people swim in because of the refreshing tingle that lasted for weeks,....or at least until the hair grew back......

But,....if you had worked for Gateway, or Smith, Transcon, Yellow,....or any of the companies with terminals in McKee's Rocks or Neville Island,..on the Ohio River,......you could've entertained yourself fishing for Nine-Eyed Carp,...or Octo-Catfish,...while on your 8 hour break. You need a spoon to drink the Ohio River water......Not Advisable......

But better than the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland,.....of which they say no longer bursts into flame on a regular basis.......

Or the Detroit River,......where the fish routinely evolve legs so they could crawl out for a breath of fresh air........

This turned into a fun thread to read. Triplex I think you spent some time in local 560. When my first job in 478 went down in 77 I got hired by Red Star in N. Bergen. The 560 union hall always found work for us who walked on the shape. I worked as a casual at Maislin, Cooper Jarrett, Hemingway, Tose, McClean, Sanborn, Roadway, and even LJ Kennedy and Emery Air Freight. Those were the good old days of union LTL. The Red Star steward would just call the hall at 8:00AM and tell them how many men he didn't have work for and the hall usually found work for all of us. And we got the day credited to our pension and welfare.

I hit Local #249’s Union Hall list for about two years on and off around ‘77 - ‘78 after getting laid off from Gateway,....my first real live Teamster job...
My first year hitting the list, I had 34 W-2 forms......Just about every freight barn in Pittsburgh,.....and every Ice house, linen service, meat packer, and soft drink distributor, too....

Middle of ‘78 I got hired at M & G Convoy,.....a car hauler. Never did that....what the heck.....give it a try......

after the merger of tose and fowler & williams my boss bought 4 international fleetstar 2000's from scranton pa terminal

after the merger of tose and fowler & williams my boss bought 4 international fleetstar 2000's from scranton pa terminal

Hah! You're showing your age, Brother.......(...which means you fit right in with the rest of us.....).

This turned into a fun thread to read. Triplex I think you spent some time in local 560. When my first job in 478 went down in 77 I got hired by Red Star in N. Bergen. The 560 union hall always found work for us who walked on the shape. I worked as a casual at Maislin, Cooper Jarrett, Hemingway, Tose, McClean, Sanborn, Roadway, and even LJ Kennedy and Emery Air Freight. Those were the good old days of union LTL. The Red Star steward would just call the hall at 8:00AM and tell them how many men he didn't have work for and the hall usually found work for all of us. And we got the day credited to our pension and welfare.

And you also, Brother.......I got hired in '75 for Gateway,...worked city for them about 4 months,...then a road driver passed away in an accident about two weeks before my 21st birthday. Offered me a steady road job, just had to wait until I turned 21.

On the evening of my 21st birthday,.....I went to Secaucus N.J,..off Rt.'s 1 and 9. Took me all of 10 hours. Everyone else did it around 8(...prevented the mini...). Never was in N. Junky before ever in my life......Culture shock.
Also,....last two months of Gateway operating a Bunkhouse under the dock. Sleep?.....yeah, right.......
They started to bed us at the Spanish motel,....beside the Holiday Inn,...at the junction of 1 and 9.......Heaven compared to the bunkhouse,.....if you didn't mind the random gunfire.......

Gateway only ran Secaucus or Philadelphia out of Pittsburgh. Philly was a pain,....Drop and hook,..on to Secaucus. Rarely to bed in Philly,..off Cottman Ave.

After I got laid off from Gateway,...I immediately started with Werner-Continental,...whose terminal in Secaucus was in the middle of the swamp.
Four months, and Hall's bought Werner........."You want a steady job, kid?.......move to W. Middlesex!"

No thanks.....Go hit the list,.....