XPO | Driver Pay

I know some 18 year olds that are more mature then some drivers we have now. You can enlist in the military at 18 and fight for your country but not drive a truck, makes no sense to me!!

Eighteen year olds can go into logging, construction, fshing boats and military among other careers which are just as dangerous or more then trucking, why put limits in trucking?
and they can drive truck there too and some get to haul some really nasty stuff . Let's see what else to 18yr old military members get screwed out of......Can buy a beer. Can't buy a handgun.....Kind of a double standard isn't it.

It all depend of the person. Is 18 to young and is 71 to old? Age has nothing to do with how responsible and mature a person is. I seen kids a young as 12 planting and harvesting in million dollar machine, pulling double hay wagon on the road and taking care of livestock. I fact I was one of those kids. Worked on a farm for peanuts in my youth. One of the best time of my life taught me responsible, maturely, and pride. You see that less and less these day.
So stop grading someone on there age. It just a number. You say 18 to young and I sure some on here say 71 is to old to be driving truck
While what you say is true.... some 18 year olds are responsible and can handle it...the vast majority can not..... since there is no way that I know of to verify maturity you should stay with what is known to be safe...as far as being too old at 71...I dont know about that....usually people dont lose cognitive skills until very late 70s or 80s, if at all...apples and oranges....

Though I'm not a fan of CNN, but this article is just a glimpse into the future. Now it only covers gas, but other reports are warning that everything will be at risk. With the average age now a 58 for a truck driver up from 55 a few years ago. Who would have thought that even the big union carriers would be running CDL school, offering signing bonus, top rate at day one, to name a few.
All those years of hearing Truckdriver are a dime a dozen, TM's with stacks of apps on his desk and driver beating the door down to get in are no more. These companies are trying every trick in the book and are getting no head way and they scratch there head not understanding why....The why is that this seed was planted a long time ago by the previous owners and mangers of these companies. So go and thank them for all the low pay, crappy hours, forced work, and job threatening they did. Now reach deep in that pocket and I mean really deep and start forking over what we deserve.
It has come to the point were the mangers are almost powerless. Threatening you with you job is almost laughable. If your CDL is clean any trucking company will pick you up in a heartbeat and start you out at top rate with benefits on day one.

Sorry got off on a rant here's the article
CNN is good at covering everything besides politics. I’d jump ship to haul fuel but will they hire me without the needed 1-3 years experience plus a CLEAN driving record? So I’ll just stay running line.

18 years old is too young

Just another ploy for companies to keep wages flat. We have enough problems with driver quality now . No need to throw gasoline on the fire. The trucking lobbyists should be ashamed for even suggesting it .

Last edited:
CNN is good at covering everything besides politics. I’d jump ship to haul fuel but will they hire me without the needed 1-3 years experience plus a CLEAN driving record? So I’ll just stay running line.
most fuel haulers are not requiring fuel hauling experience. Most will train

18 years old is too young

Just another ploy for companies to keep wages flat. We have enough problems with driver quality now . No need to throw gasoline on the fire. The trucking lobbyists should be ashamed for even suggesting it .
This is also a way to keep employees at work for cheaper total costs.

If you can get a significantly younger person you ( and keep them at work ) there's usually less expenses : Less bereavement. Less health care costs. Probably less retirement matching ( if you have that type of 401k ) Less time off due to children/child care/family issues ( most likely too young to have this yet )

More time to brainwas...uhh , train the new drivers is also a consideration.

I've been to a few high school graduations these past few weeks...to me it doesn't boil down to can the 18 year old drive , but do they take the lives of everyone around them serious enough to be safe as an older person would?

Also , you can train an 18 year old to drive , but will they listen to instructions after they've been driving for a few months? Are the trainers and the systems we have capable of dealing with 18 year old people?

If you can get a significantly younger person you ( and keep them at work ) there's usually less expenses : Less bereavement. Less health care costs. Probably less retirement matching ( if you have that type of 401k ) Less time off due to children/child care/family issues ( most likely too young to have this yet )

I've been to a few high school graduations these past few weeks...to me it doesn't boil down to can the 18 year old drive , but do they take the lives of everyone around them serious enough to be safe as an older person would?

Also , you can train an 18 year old to drive , but will they listen to instructions after they've been driving for a few months? Are the trainers and the systems we have capable of dealing with 18 year old people?
You are speaking about an age group that cannot tell time looking at a wall clock with hands you know. Most of them don’t know if it’s dark at 12:00 AM.

I regard to our training, we have a driver with about one year of experience in charge of training. I took one new driver, 21 years old, and had about ten questions on one sheet to answer at the end of the week. That’s it. In my opinion, our training, both on the dock and behind the wheel is lacking. A friend of mine that works for SAIA just finished a three day “driver trainer” course. We are asked-hey, want to take someone out on a ride along this week? We do have two driver trainers with great skills, but they can’t train them all. I think retention and follow up training should be stressed. We get a new driver, lose a driver.

Retention is a big part . We are losing drivers to other carriers daily. Until this hemorrhage is fixed service will suffer. True respect for the drivers from the uppermost leadership in this company will have to be achieved before this will happen. As long as they look at cost and drivers in the same sentence it will continue.

IMO some people are worth more then $38/hr and some aren't worth minimum wage. To bad there isn't a way to reward people who work harder than others.
What's everyone's thoughts?
I’m retired from XPO LTL and work now as a part time dock only employee at Ross Express. Just got an annual review and a dollar an hour raise based on my work performance. In other words... all raises are not across the board, but are based on merit alone.
maybe xpo should have merit raises too. don’t know how that would work on LH though.

I’m retired from XPO LTL and work now as a part time dock only employee at Ross Express. Just got an annual review and a dollar an hour raise based on my work performance. In other words... all raises are not across the board, but are based on merit alone.
maybe xpo should have merit raises too. don’t know how that would work on LH though.
The only problem with merit raises is if it’s dependent on management review it can skewed By someone who has a hard on for you. Yes in a perfect world it sounds great but in this business management loves suck asses and would hold them as the example. See it everyday. I’m sure a suck ass will be along soon to tell you different

Yes I worked at places that did that to. It does have it good point and it's bad points. It does work great in smaller companies but here not so much.