XPO | Driver Pay

Truckload carriers complain about high driver turnover, but they really just complain. They seem content to have to rehire sometimes, thousands of drivers yearly, paying them less because they either have little or no experience, or they need 3 -5 years with the carrier to get full pay. They pocket the difference of a new hire, and an experienced one, then open their bag of strings attached, so called benefits for their drivers, like detention pay, but after the first 2-3 hours, sign on bonus, paid out to you, but with your lower starting pay being lower , the bonus doesn’t actually cost the carrier anything. Fuel mileage bonus? Yeah, if you average like 9.5 mph, or one of my favorites, great health care, but with a $8,000 deductible, and $15 grand out of pocket cost to you, or mileage bonus, if you run 3,500 miles a week. Try averaging 600-700 miles a day, and doing any live loading, or unloading. Did I miss anything? Anyone else, feel free to jump in there. And yes, most truckload carriers are bastards.
You are spot on with that Sir. Truckload companies are right where they want to be as far as driver “churn” . They profit greatly from it.

Do you actually know why trucking was regulated in the first place? It wasn't for driver pay or to help truckers unionize, and the reason trucking was deregulated was because it didn't need regulated anymore
o

Do you actually know why trucking was regulated in the first place? It wasn't for driver pay or to help truckers unionize, and the reason trucking was deregulated was because it didn't need regulated anymore
I think it was regulated for keeping larger companies from doing what Walmart and Amazon have done. Walmart built stores in small, rual areas at first with low prices to put out the mom and pops. Then, turned around and built new stores in the urban areas afterwards. Now they have a extremely large portion of the market. Amazon is doing the same, only propping it with delivery.
Regulation allowed smaller carriers to control their freight rates, thus being able to control their costs better and pay drivers well. Deregulation allowed CF and others to come in and drop rates through the floor to put the mom and pops out, then raising their rates to higher levels to attain their desired profit levels.
The government keeps things like that from happening still today, they just don't regulate everything......thank you local politicians and lobbyists.

I will say this just because you have a CDL doesn't make you a professional truck driver. If that was true I have a very large tool box in my garage overflowing with tools. So that makes me a master auto mechanic then. Companies now a days want steering wheel holders not Pro drivers. Look at what comes out of these CDL schools even the XPO one. Just steering wheel holders. What some fun go around and ask simple questions like. What is a S cam, S cam bearings, Slack adj, brake can, tie rod, drag link, cotter pin, does it have drum or disk brakes, is it leaf springs or air ride, min tread depth on steers or drive tires, were is the air dryer. The minimum number of lights on a pup or a van. Annual inspection stickers, how to slide tandems. What are the max axle weights. What is off tracking. How in the hell are to do a proper pre-trip and don't know what these parts are or were they are. I have seen many sets roll out the gate with massive air leaks, and missing lights. Just last week I watch a driver leave XMI with a strap hanging out the rear trailer dragging on the ground. I guess no walk around for him.
If you want to be paid like a professional then we need to act like one. Do I believe I'm under paid. Yes. I put more equipment O/S at my place then any other driver. A few years ago I put 10 rental van O/S in 20mins. All loaded, TM was pissed. Stop pull overweight loads driving or pulling O/S equipment.
The differance between a Professional driver and a steering wheel holder shows it face on a Sat. morning at the FAC. A pro will not pull overweight or O/S trailers. The steering wheel holder will. I see it all the time bitch all week about overweight then Sat morning they will pull 45k+ to go home.
Excellent post!

ATA is a group that represents employers in trucking NOT the workers

The “Drives Safe Act” is another one of those play on words titles like “right to work”.

Drives Safe Act - brings kids into an already dangerous profession just so companies can pay them an even lower wage.

Right to work- defunds unions by allowing worker to be represented without pay dues

Both are just examples of what crap the ATA pushes or backs

ATA is a group that representsary employers in trucking NOT the workers

The “Drives Safe Act” is another one of those play on words titles like “right to work”.

Drives Safe Act - brings kids into an already dangerous profession just so companies can pay them an even lower wage.

Right to work- defunds unions by allowing worker to be represented without pay dues

Both are just examples of what crap the ATA pushes or backs
I know some 18 year olds that are more mature then some drivers we have now. You can enlist in the military at 18 and fight for your country but not drive a truck, makes no sense to me!!

Eighteen year olds can go into logging, construction, fshing boats and military among other careers which are just as dangerous or more then trucking, why put limits in trucking?

Last edited:
Also if a union makes a exclusive bargaining contract with a company don't
they have to cover non paying workers, but they could do a Worker's choice agreement with a company and then a non paying worker would have to negotiate with the company by himself in a RTW state?

Last edited:
I know some 18 year olds that are more mature then some drivers we have now. You can enlist in the military at 18 and fight for your country but not drive a truck, makes no sense to me!!

Eighteen year olds can go into logging, construction, fshing boats and military among other careers which are just as dangerous or more then trucking, why put limits in trucking?
18 year olds can get a CDL as it stands now. They simply have to work in that state ( no inter-state , cross border driving until 21 )

18 year olds can get a CDL as it stands now. They simply have to work in that state ( no inter-state , cross border driving until 21 )
Is it any safer to stay inter-state versuses intera-state, I see no difference!!!

it makes perfect sense. they want 18 year olds b/c they're too young and dumb to know they're risking their lives on behalf of the interests of the super wealthy/israel/bankers. people who are older tend to wise up to the tricks of those in power (sometimes...less so these days).

it makes perfect sense. they want 18 year olds b/c they're too young and dumb to know they're risking their lives on behalf of the interests of the super wealthy/israel/bankers. people who are older tend to wise up to the tricks of those in power (sometimes...less so these days).
Looks like it's time for me to buy stock in tinfoil hat companies again! :smile new:

You can enlist in the military at 18 and fight for your country but not drive a truck, makes no sense to me!!
Peak physical fitness of an 18 yr old is a benefit in battle . Also an 18yr old soldiers are under the direct command and responsibility of officers.

I was going to post this same article. Though I'm not a fan of NPR on occasion they put out good one. They just proven it not shortage but a retention problem. Any time the ATA talks it not really worth listening too. Mr Spencer from OOIDA is the only one saying what the real problem is.
The ATA is a joke has been for years and doesn't have the interest of drives at all. I been saying it for years.

18 yrs old is too young
It all depend of the person. Is 18 to young and is 71 to old? Age has nothing to do with how responsible and mature a person is. I seen kids a young as 12 planting and harvesting in million dollar machine, pulling double hay wagon on the road and taking care of livestock. I fact I was one of those kids. Worked on a farm for peanuts in my youth. One of the best time of my life taught me responsible, maturely, and pride. You see that less and less these day.
So stop grading someone on there age. It just a number. You say 18 to young and I sure some on here say 71 is to old to be driving truck

I think that surprises a lot of people, all you post is doom and gloom about XPO. If I hated the company I work for like it seems you do I'd be gone a long time ago. I don't understand why you're still working here if you have such distaste for the company and have the assets that you claim you have!
He's only here for the seniority and the PTO......remember he told us that

Peak physical fitness of an 18 yr old is a benefit in battle . Also an 18yr old soldiers are under the direct command and responsibility of officers.
I see you never be in the Military
direct command and responsibility of officers now that's funny