Yellow | Logging off duty / while waiting for freight warning letters

Say what y'all want but I don't make this stuff up. This is straight from the FMCSA website and is there for all to see.
Question 10: How does compensation relate to on-duty time?

Guidance: The fact that a driver is paid for a period of time does not always establish that the driver was on-duty for the purposes of part 395 during that period of time. A driver may be relieved of duty under certain conditions and still be paid.

www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/395.2?guidance
No one disputed that issue, he wanted to know if he had to log it on duty not driving. Two guys supposed to be given letters for logging the paid for time off duty. (Show-up time/reporting for duty.) No different from the guys who get paid for their pre-shift meetings (city driver mainly) should logging that time.

KinMNL2.jpg
Your comment doesn't make sense to me. If I am off duty, & decide to fill the ww fluid on my own time how is that on duty? If I decide to polish the driver side fuel tank during my 10 hour rest period, how is that on duty not driving. Is the answer different if I am an owner operator versus a company driver. Should I be on duty or off duty based on if I am paid? A very thin line with a grey area as to the rule & the interpretation. Just wondering. von.

That is not what I said. They only care if you're logging it correctly, not if you're being paid or not. So yes, you can log of duty and still be paid.
How about this. Road driver gets his call for the road run @ the motel. He arrives @ the terminal 1 hour before his scheduled run. He leaves 2 hours late. Total time is 3 hours. Is he paid for any of those hours? If so does he log all 3 on duty not-driving? Or just some of the hours to help his 70 hour work week rule? Does management look the other way when he only logs some of those 3 hours on duty? Or does he show all 3 hours off duty, with management turning the other cheek? Would a log audit by a Federal DOT compliance officer over look the practice of ready to work @ the barn getting paid for any of those 3 hours AND NOT SHOWING ON DUTY? I don't think so. But hey, conversation is cheap. von.

How are we going to log on duty with elogs when the load isn't ready?
That is an excellent question. How to you change the e-log to show on duty not driving before the truck starts rolling? You log in @ 1400 hours, but you want to change you start time to 1200 or 1600 on an electronic. Good luck with that one. Technology is forcing the American Trucker to be honest with his reported hours of service. That my friend is the biggest game changer this industry has ever seen since 1938 when mandatory logging was imposed. To me it is very critical that drivers learn how to log using a computer, but how you or anyone else can alter your electronic log once you have submitted it. Would or can management alter you submitted log after sign off? I would demand a print out of my electronic log ever day. It would be hard to alter the printout you have & match to the original they altered.

When we go to elogs and show up for our run if the load isn't ready that means a truck hasn't been hooked yet how will you log on duty?
It is in the computer that you are set to leave at 18:00.......if you leave at 19:00 and log on with your code, it will automatically show you on bottom line one hour for compensation. ......a new day is coming.....times are about to change.....KK

Last edited:
What is done now? Work call, 1500 for 1700. Your logged in start time is 1700. Same as been done for the last 40 years.
Drivers will get a 1700 dispatch for a 600 mile run....sit on the bench for 3 to 4 hours waiting.....get paid and log in at that time to make the run....yeah, do the math.....if they logged legally, they would be over 14 hour rule....elogs will stop it and CDO will have to plan the runs better....KK

How about this. Road driver gets his call for the road run @ the motel. He arrives @ the terminal 1 hour before his scheduled run. He leaves 2 hours late. Total time is 3 hours. Is he paid for any of those hours? If so does he log all 3 on duty not-driving? Or just some of the hours to help his 70 hour work week rule? Does management look the other way when he only logs some of those 3 hours on duty? Or does he show all 3 hours off duty, with management turning the other cheek? Would a log audit by a Federal DOT compliance officer over look the practice of ready to work @ the barn getting paid for any of those 3 hours AND NOT SHOWING ON DUTY? I don't think so. But hey, conversation is cheap. von.
What good Teamster would show up an hour before his scheduled start time? Lol

You log ALL compensated time in your 14 hour peroid as driving or on duty not driving, other than your 1 hour break...KK

If you log "on duty, not driving" before your 14th hour, technically you forfeit your lay over pay! READ THE ARTICLE!

Layover is for time at the hotel past 14 hours.....if they call you on 12.5 hours to go, you get paid 2 hours (Southern Supplement)....It has nothing to do with logs.....you run for 4 hours and go to bed, you het an 8 hour mini.....do you start your time from when you went to bed after 4 hours of work, or do you start agter the 8 hots mini?

Layover starts after your 14th hour of being away from home domicle.....KK

Is logging class over now??? Can I go back on line 2 and get paid??? Gees.
With some of the concerns and questions on here, it would make one beleive we need a Logbook 101 refresher course. .....but thos is why we are here....to ask and receive information....KK