ODFL | My yard isn't happy with the new OT

They’ll push for better productivity and watch for areas of improvement. They aren’t rolling out the new OT pay after 50 until the slow season for a reason. The CEO said they plan on hiring 1000 more employees by the end of the year. I guarantee it’s so they can hopefully be staffed well enough to combat the high demand of customers and keep overhead cost under control. They’ll spread the hours to keep OT to a minimum. Part time employees don’t cost anything in terms of benefits, just hourly pay.

Seen it first hand with other LTL companies I’ve worked for. Been with OD 7 years now and it’s definitely the top LTL to work for. Hopefully they don’t start to micromanage hourly employees. They’re growing so fast that they will have to start exploring different options to keep they’re OR as good as it’s been.
Had a chance to go full-time there in 06. Wish I had FedEx Freight has turned into a dumpster fire! Now I've got over 20+ years and looking to leave! Glad things are going well for y'all.

Be cool on your stool, and have fun on your run.

Worked for three Ltl companies, two that paid straight pay , one which paid overtime after 45, forget the name on the side of the trailer and tractor and understand what im going to tell you is strictly from a business course at any state or Ivy League college. There are advantages and cons to both, straight pay will allow you more hours under less financial pressure, but not a competitive advantage for employee retention which is valued at different levels based on the current economy.But is it, think about . Its a tactic now and don't forget it. Averaged 52-58 hours typically with straight pay outfits vs overtime outfit 43-49. There dozens of business tactics to deal with the overtime, from reading a few comments here, there will be a 1000 man hiring event this winter and then , the overtime will kick in afterwards. More manpower, equals less hours per man, more internal fighting within pd side for who get the hours vs who doesn't , routes are rearrange to make reports look better, its endless. Another tactic used is peddle runs and appointment days. Say the pay week runs from Friday to Thursday. You'll notice they won't have the long peddle runs on Thursday because its the end of a pay period.Long day, lots of hours, lots of overtime. Friday rolls around and pay starts over for the week and magically the peddle run route go out,or more so Monday to Wednesday , because as we all know, folks like to roll there doors down early on Friday , but you get the point. Appointments are the same, they will have the appointment clerks schedule them at the beginning or middle of the work week , almost never near the end when overtime comes into play. Ask yourself a question, are you worth 30 dollars an hour at this time of day or week, or 45 dollars overtime that time of day or week .Or are you being teased with overtime. Im working for an overtime company right now , and the bs I watch and listen too daily, is pathetic. The Ltl company's are fighting amongst themselves for drivers and the overtime TACTIC is being used now more than ever. Drive safe, take care of your coworkers/customers, love your family. And be all you can be. my2cents

Worked for three Ltl companies, two that paid straight pay , one which paid overtime after 45, forget the name on the side of the trailer and tractor and understand what im going to tell you is strictly from a business course at any state or Ivy League college. There are advantages and cons to both, straight pay will allow you more hours under less financial pressure, but not a competitive advantage for employee retention which is valued at different levels based on the current economy.But is it, think about . Its a tactic now and don't forget it. Averaged 52-58 hours typically with straight pay outfits vs overtime outfit 43-49. There dozens of business tactics to deal with the overtime, from reading a few comments here, there will be a 1000 man hiring event this winter and then , the overtime will kick in afterwards. More manpower, equals less hours per man, more internal fighting within pd side for who get the hours vs who doesn't , routes are rearrange to make reports look better, its endless. Another tactic used is peddle runs and appointment days. Say the pay week runs from Friday to Thursday. You'll notice they won't have the long peddle runs on Thursday because its the end of a pay period.Long day, lots of hours, lots of overtime. Friday rolls around and pay starts over for the week and magically the peddle run route go out,or more so Monday to Wednesday , because as we all know, folks like to roll there doors down early on Friday , but you get the point. Appointments are the same, they will have the appointment clerks schedule them at the beginning or middle of the work week , almost never near the end when overtime comes into play. Ask yourself a question, are you worth 30 dollars an hour at this time of day or week, or 45 dollars overtime that time of day or week .Or are you being teased with overtime. Im working for an overtime company right now , and the bs I watch and listen too daily, is pathetic. The Ltl company's are fighting amongst themselves for drivers and the overtime TACTIC is being used now more than ever. Drive safe, take care of your coworkers/customers, love your family. And be all you can be. my2cents
When the company is busy and shorthanded they could care less about how much overtime they are paying. The only time they care is when it gets real slow and then they try to act concerned.

Worked for three Ltl companies, two that paid straight pay , one which paid overtime after 45, forget the name on the side of the trailer and tractor and understand what im going to tell you is strictly from a business course at any state or Ivy League college.
How ‘bout just paying everyone OT after 8/40? As far as who ‘wants’ to work OT hours, just use the seniority list…ask from the top and force from the bottom. Frankly, I despised working OT the older I got. I was just fine working 40-45 hours per week because we all know LTL p & d is not an 8-hour day. I didn’t need the money and figured being home before the sun went down (in the summer!) was more important.

How ‘bout just paying everyone OT after 8/40? As far as who ‘wants’ to work OT hours, just use the seniority list…ask from the top and force from the bottom. Frankly, I despised working OT the older I got. I was just fine working 40-45 hours per week because we all know LTL p & d is not an 8-hour day. I didn’t need the money and figured being home before the sun went down (in the summer!) was more important.
don't care how they work the overtime...if when it slows down as it always does... i expect most p&d to work four day weeks so everybody can eat...it is just a matter of which day of week i will pick...a lot of new hires around the country that bought that 70k pickup will be in trouble...

don't care how they work the overtime...if when it slows down as it always does... i expect most p&d to work four day weeks so everybody can eat...it is just a matter of which day of week i will pick...a lot of new hires around the country that bought that 70k pickup will be in trouble...
Oh, absolutely! Who said it: “A fool and his money are soon parted”?

They’ll be watching the yard time also. No more punching in, chit chatting in the break room, hooking your trailer and then coming back in or meeting in the yard to talk some more. My terminal was watching that a number of years ago.
Already doing it at our barn. We were already told that once you punch in, it's all business. No chit chatting, gotta make that 20 minute yard time. Already hired multiple new P&D drivers and (Combo drivers) to move daytime hrs around. And we've already been cut from 55-57 hrs a week to 45-47. Overtime isn't a benefit if it's something you never get, right? Lol. We took a payout to get overtime, lol.

More senior city drivers may start switching to line haul depending on location and availability. City is a good place to start and learn for new drivers but line haul pays the best for the time. I definitely see the new OT rule as a pay cut. Hopefully Old Dominion proves me wrong but I doubt it.
If you try to switch to linehaul at our barn, your told you can't just be straight Linehaul You must be combo, so they can bump guys to days when the P&D drivers hrs start to climb too high.

The only ones that will be getting overtime will be the camera coach that you will get to talk to. They will have to have a lot of them with 10K plus drivers

The only ones that will be getting overtime will be the camera coach that you will get to talk to. They will have to have a lot of them with 10K plus drivers
We got some real
Dumb drivers too,, getting multiple coaching keeping these guys busy

I still don't understand why Old Dominion gets away with not paying OT after 40 hours. Its funny to here a TM in DET say that it was the wild, wild, west here, before he took over. Yeah ok, only difference is he's running the wild, wild, west.

256439872_2806014849689080_837998530594050911_n.jpg
Go HOME and spend time with family & friends , stop wasting your life working O.T. !!!