XPO | Pay increase??

I can relate. Truckin' wasn't my first choice, or second or third for that matter. I landed in trucking after leaving a couple other occupations first. I know that some people think I'm a die hard company man all that crap, but I'm just trying to make the best of a job that when I first started, I had no desire to do and I didn't even know what LTL stood for when Conway hired me.
I like trucking it’s an honest, but hard way to make a living. I do not like where it’s going, particularly in the LTL sector .I realize things change, but I do not like the fact that the
Compensation over the years has stagnated in and by compensation I am including retirement and healthcare, not just hourly rate. The job has higher demands than ever, therefore total compensation should keep up with it. Inflation over the years not just this period of inflation has taken. It’s toll on that real compensation. Hence, direct result being the driver shortage I know many here think that I am union or bust, but I am not. I have worked both sides of the fence time has taught me without any push. The companies will take advantage of their workers. I have not seen gains for drivers that were promised by being nonunion over the years. I am all ears to anyone that has a better resolution but at this point, it seems you either choose one side or the other . I ultimately think that these companies are heading in a bad direction if they don’t see to correcting these compensation deficiencies. Driver dissatisfaction will remain low on this current course. Whether you’re pro union or nonunion, you should be pro worker. I salute any gain or both non-and union workers.
I also think it’s time that class A truck drivers should be defined as skilled workers. This is a change that is long overdue..

Last edited:
Our TM would tell people in the interview that 16 hour days would be mandatory at the companies discretion.
and they can't figure out why drivers don't stay. I have always viewed the 16hr rule as the in case something happens rule and I don't care what company thinks. You are not dispatching me on a run that under normal condition would cause me to work past 14hrs. When you become the go to 16hr guy they will be looking for you all the time. These mangers will push and push you but if something happens you take all the blame. There is not one god damm thing we haul that is worth you life or someone else just so some manger can make numbers. Get a hotel or take the loads home. I sure the customer would rather have there freight late then sprayed out over the interstate. Always remember this, the ticket has you name on it, not the mangers, and any ticket or accident goes on YOUR life time record, not you mangers

Last edited:
Trucking also was low on my list...I had no desire to do it, and really not much now...that doesn't mean I hate doing it, the part I hate are the hours....even when you say hey its my wife's birthday, or I have a doctors appointment, still got to fight with them to get out even after working ten hours (true stories among many others) then I hear I have a bad attitude and I say you gave it to me....
they are really find out with this new bread of drivers. Most don't care and will call off in a hot min. I'm to that point now. Last year I put in a day off request and told if it's not approved I'm call off. There some sh1t you cant put off

Trucking also was low on my list...I had no desire to do it, and really not much now...that doesn't mean I hate doing it, the part I hate are the hours....even when you say hey its my wife's birthday, or I have a doctors appointment, still got to fight with them to get out even after working ten hours (true stories among many others) then I hear I have a bad attitude and I say you gave it to me....
I use to enjoy trucking and still do to a point. but after 30+yrs if I could go back in time I kick my self in the nuts for even thing about becoming a truck driver.

I like trucking it’s an honest, but hard way to make a living. I do not like where it’s going, particularly in the LTL sector .I realize things change, but I do not like the fact that the
Compensation over the years has stagnated in and by compensation I am including retirement and healthcare, not just hourly rate. The job has higher demands than ever, therefore total compensation should keep up with it. Inflation over the years not just this period of inflation has taken. It’s toll on that real compensation. Hence, direct result being the driver shortage I know many here think that I am union or bust, but I am not. I have worked both sides of the fence time has taught me without any push. The companies will take advantage of their workers. I have not seen gains for drivers that were promised by being nonunion over the years. I am all ears to anyone that has a better resolution but at this point, it seems you either choose one side or the other . I ultimately think that these companies are heading in a bad direction if they don’t see to correcting these compensation deficiencies. Driver dissatisfaction will remain low on this current course. Whether you’re pro union or nonunion, you should be pro worker. I salute any gain or both non-and union workers.
I also think it’s time that class A truck drivers should be defined as skilled workers. This is a change that is long overdue..
Working people struggle harder each year against rising prices, so they do the only thing they know how to do, lash out against their employers who also are struggling with the same price increases to do business. I won't hold employers completely blameless for holding back on wage increases, because I've seen examples in my everyday P & D travels of underpaid employees, but I don't think employer greed is the primary driver of wages not keeping up with prices, it's government. The solution isn't union or non-union, the solution is us, the body politic, the voter, call it what you want. IMHO, we are the victims of our own complacency because we've allowed ourselves to become uninformed/misinformed as to the nature of political ideologies and the political leaders who espouse them. Basically we've been voting for the wrong people for a long time on both sides of the political spectrum and we've allowed them to destroy our country with their own reckless greed for power. Only fed govt creates inflation.

I would love to to reply in depth Scotch but because of the political view point of the moderator it seems every time I try to raise an opinion that may go against the grain I’m am told to stay on topic. No biggie. I will not discuss politics even though it’s in direct collation to the topic.

I do however understand how you may think that people first lash out at their employer. I maintain however that in LTL inspite of the current rise of inflation caused by a major world wide pandemic and a major conflict in Ukraine inflation has always been in place during my working life . Yet, in the LTL sector COLA increases never seem to meet the current level of inflation. Companies do not absorb inflation they take general rate increases to stay ahead of inflation . Keeping worker wages suppressed is how they raise profits. It’s an easy route to profitability and the major reason they fight so hard for workers not to have a say in their earnings. Up till the last couple years it has worked for them quite well. Things are changing however. They can no longer attract good driving candidates. They can only get drivers by training people who are Nieves to the LTL workplace and it’s flaws. Companies are willing to accept a lesser quality candidate. In fact Xpo has figured out and prepared a work environment that keeps these type of workers up to standard. They do this via technology. Cameras, GPS tracking and Motor move and stops per hour monitoring . The last 2 are key tools from here on out . Don’t perform to a set standard… hit the road .

The LTL sector drivers are in for a bumpy road going forward. The quality of new hire will only lead to further downward pressure or stagnation in compensation for all including long time drivers. Do you think for a minute that the crop of drivers they are hiring now out of desperation does not lead upper management to further think poorly of its driver force ? I don’t see this trend changing.

I've generally always enjoyed what I do for a living.
I would say one's health would dictate a lot of if you still like your job.
My health is good so I still enjoy it.
In my view I'd say a lot of the lesser driver has come with less pay and vice versa.
The reason for this...again in my opinion, is due to lack of unionization.
Less respect from the company at a non union job....not no respect... Less respect.
Seniority also isn't adhered to as much either...
I'd say that right to work has played a large part in this as well.
Companies, especially freight lines fight with everything they have to keep unions out because if we ever all got on the same page, seniority, work rules and things like paid health care and an actual pension would have to be negotiated.
They simply can't have that.

Imo, your job is what you make of it. Come into work with a :shit:ty attitude, you got a long day ahead of you. Doesn’t matter what company, union or non union, they all have ::shit:: to put up with. I enjoy driving. Don’t mind the dock work. If your not happy, do something that makes you happy.

Life is too short.

Imo, your job is what you make of it. Come into work with a ****ty attitude, you got a long day ahead of you. Doesn’t matter what company, union or non union, they all have **** to put up with. I enjoy driving. Don’t mind the dock work. If your not happy, do something that makes you happy.

Life is too short.
Great post!!!
You are exactly right!

Imo, your job is what you make of it. Come into work with a ****ty attitude, you got a long day ahead of you. Doesn’t matter what company, union or non union, they all have **** to put up with. I enjoy driving. Don’t mind the dock work. If your not happy, do something that makes you happy.

Life is too short.

Seems to me that a lot of xpo drivers don’t leave just because of the pay ,I can’t imagine staying with a company just because of the pay if you have to deal with bad Management or other colleagues on a day basis

Things are changing however. They can no longer attract good driving candidates.
With the lack of driver pay has increase at a rapid rate. Though not rapid enough. Companies have like this have a hard time getting exp driver for a number of reason and I believe it to be work life balance. In my area we have drivers working for other carriers making less, no OT, and benefits the same or lower then ours. Well a driver who works a set scheduled, assigned truck, no dockwork, hell doesn't even touch freight at all or drop and hook, no night or weekends, and he making say 28per hr. Then why would he leave to come here for sh1t hr, dock work, and touch freight.

They do this via technology. Cameras, GPS tracking and Motor move and stops per hour monitoring .
To a point I don't have a problem with some of the tech. I have known of a few driver union and non that got fired for f#cking off in the city, stealing time. I also tired of LH driver sleeping 1-2hrs 10miles away from the FAC only to arrive and leave right a way.

Do you think for a minute that the crop of drivers they are hiring now out of desperation does not lead upper management to further think poorly of its driver force ? I don’t see this trend changing.
The same can be said to the new crop of mangers. I always said none of these new driver would have made it back in the 90s in the LTL world. Even in a union barn if you were a f#ck off management and even you union brother had no problem call you out. The one thing I like about this trend is now I can sit back and laugh and can act as dumb as the newer driver do. It really get management mad when you do that. That's when I laugh and say this it what years of bad treatment to driver have gotten you.

Seems to me that a lot of xpo drivers don’t leave just because of the pay ,I can’t imagine staying with a company just because of the pay if you have to deal with bad Management or other colleagues on a day basis
Well, that not total true....More like seniority, PTO time, and in some case age of the driver.

With the lack of driver pay has increase at a rapid rate. Though not rapid enough. Companies have like this have a hard time getting exp driver for a number of reason and I believe it to be work life balance. In my area we have drivers working for other carriers making less, no OT, and benefits the same or lower then ours. Well a driver who works a set scheduled, assigned truck, no dockwork, hell doesn't even touch freight at all or drop and hook, no night or weekends, and he making say 28per hr. Then why would he leave to come here for sh1t hr, dock work, and touch freight.

I’m one of those guys hate to say it and i’ve looked at the closest xpo terminal a few times because of the advertise pay . Experience drivers can start at $32.93 a hr but then you talk to a driver who works there ,read reviews on indeed and read online forums like this one . It’s like screw that not worth the pay . In the Toronto area local driver pay is $25-$27 a hr for reefer and dryvan and fuel tanker make $28-34 but it’s always companies like seaboard or westcan hiring and again the reviews are not so great

i’ve been driving since 2008 clean record no accidents and i’ve been with a Canadian mega carrier since 2012 . pay sucks its average for the area $23.50 and $35.25 ot after 9 hrs which works out to around $25-26 a hr when it’s all said and done . Not great I know but I have a set schedule sun- thursday and start time of 5pm and usually done by 03:30 -4am .No stress here no ones rushed here and if the roads are bad you can call in and say i’m staying at home for that day and either take a vacation day or lose a days pay it’s up to you .I’m at 4weeks vacation now and only have 3 guys who work on nights for the toronto location. Every time I find a company like xpo ,westcan ,purolator and so on that pays a decent rate per hr I say to myself why the hell would I want to leave to go to that after researching each company. I understand that employee reviews on sites like indeed are usually pissed off employees but when you start seeing the same things come up over and over again it’s a good indication on how a company is to work for . To me yes I want to make more then $60-70k a year ,I feel like i’m worth more to be honest too but i’m not going to leave my current job If i’m going to be dealing with extra stress and bs every day

Last edited:
I’m one of those guys hate to say it and i’ve looked at the closest xpo terminal a few times because of the advertise pay . Experience drivers can start at $32.93 a hr but then you talk to a driver who works there ,read reviews on indeed and read online forums like this one . Its like screw that not worth the pay . In the Toronto area local driver pay is $25-$27 a hr for reefer and dryvan and fuel tanker make $28-34 but it’s always companies like seaboard or westcan hiring and again the reviews are not so great .

i’ve been driving since 2008 clean record no accidents and i’ve been with a Canadian mega carrier since 2012 . pay sucks its average for the area $23.50 and $35.25 ot after 9 hrs which works out to around $25-26 a hr when it’s all said and done . Not great I know but I have a set schedule sun- thursday and start time of 5pm and usually done by 03:30 -4am .No stress here no ones rushed here and if the roads are bad you can call in and say i’m staying at home for that day and either take a vacation day or lose a days pay it’s up to you .I’m at 4weeks vacation now and only have 3 guys who work on nights for the toronto location. Every time I find a company like xpo ,westcan ,purolator and so on that pays a decent rate per hr I say to myself why the hell would I want to leave to go to that after researching each company. I understand that employee reviews on sites like indeed are usually pissed off employees but when you start seeing the same things come up over and over again it’s a good indication on how a company is to work for . To me yes I want to make more then $60-70k a year ,I feel like i’m worth more to be honest too but i’m not going to leave my current job If i’m going to be dealing with extra stress and bs every day
It’s not a ::shit:: show. If your happy where you are, stay there.

I’m one of those guys hate to say it and i’ve looked at the closest xpo terminal a few times because of the advertise pay . Experience drivers can start at $32.93 a hr but then you talk to a driver who works there ,read reviews on indeed and read online forums like this one . It’s like screw that not worth the pay . In the Toronto area local driver pay is $25-$27 a hr for reefer and dryvan and fuel tanker make $28-34 but it’s always companies like seaboard or westcan hiring and again the reviews are not so great
Like Upnorth said if you like were you are at stay. I seen many drivers leave for a better work life balance and take a lower pay. The few I have talked to are much happier and have way less stress. I also seen drivers come here for the money only to really find out why we are paid what we are. There are others that can't leave. They can't afford the pay cut and so they are stuck here. There is on somedays alot of BS and stress only if you let it get to you.
This place all comes down to what you local barns like. My place is OK but the one FAC I go to just had the standard door removed and put in a revolving door put in. They were tired of replace the worn out hinges.

Like Upnorth said if you like were you are at stay. I seen many drivers leave for a better work life balance and take a lower pay. The few I have talked to are much happier and have way less stress. I also seen drivers come here for the money only to really find out why we are paid what we are. There are others that can't leave. They can't afford the pay cut and so they are stuck here. There is on somedays alot of BS and stress only if you let it get to you.
This place all comes down to what you local barns like. My place is OK but the one FAC I go to just had the standard door removed and put in a revolving door put in. They were tired of replace the worn out hinges.

A2CA126A-4262-4C67-B671-2B0A6F397C91.md.jpeg

ANY/EVERY LtL driver should be paid at least $40hr for city work,with OT after 8.
Other, far less needed jobs have badly outpaced CDL jobs, which are physically much more demanding, far more important, stressful, and almost certainly lead to numerous health issues.
On top of that, people aren't flocking to driving jobs as careers. This recent slowdown, with many companies laying off will not help that situation. Class A + Haz + Tanker + the required duties is a $100k + job. Anything less is insulting.
So, type up your resume, send it out to every transportation company explaining why you are worth $40 an hour and wait for the offers to come rolling in!