XPO | Real Photos of the New XPO Logistics

I have yet to hear where he has said anything like that. Remember, he isn't trying to mimic those companies, he is competing with them. If you have a link or a quote, I'd like to read it. Everything I have seen he never divides his own company, it's all about cohesion and synergy.
Do you think he is going to have OTR taking peddle routes and city drivers running coast to coast. Its common sense. Logistics side does what it does. Intermodal does what it does. Freight does what it does. All services that can be offered by one company.

There is no gray line there, they each do what they do. One company one brand.

Plenty of gray. As it is now I see truckload every day delivering freight on my route. He will have even greater resources to accomplish the same task. Our hope is that he will grow the freight and keep us busy so that we don't get pinched.

I don't know why we should worry. We are going to grow. I think maybe you should worry because we are going to grow at our competitions expense.
Perhaps. Or perhaps rebranding so quickly will cost you customers.

And I have been at a customer to pick up when Fedex had freight, ground, and express all there at the same time. Thats not cost effective at all but it is the consequence of a massive company. It seems like this Jacobs is a little more savy than that and wont let that happen.
Thats how FedEx has become a monster. They can do it all. Ground packages aren't going to run on express equipment"AIRPLANES".

Do you think he is going to have OTR taking peddle routes and city drivers running coast to coast. Its common sense. Logistics side does what it does. Intermodal does what it does. Freight does what it does. All services that can be offered by one company.

You are trying to limit things using the extremes. Things can be blended far more gently. If a OTR driver comes into Cincinnati and has three days to wait. He can run volumes rather than be a wasted asset.

Plenty of gray. As it is now I see truckload every day delivering freight on my route. He will have even greater resources to accomplish the same task. Our hope is that he will grow the freight and keep us busy so that we don't get pinched.
You see Truckload pulling a pup making deliveries or do you see Truckload delivering a full van of freight the the guy just pulled from the.other side of the country. My brother works for Truckload and he does not do what we do.

And I have been at a customer to pick up when Fedex had freight, ground, and express all there at the same time. Thats not cost effective at all but it is the consequence of a massive company. It seems like this Jacobs is a little more savy than that and wont let that happen.

But those different drivers are going back to three different terminals. At that scale, it is cost effective.

You see Truckload pulling a pup making deliveries or do you see Truckload delivering a full van of freight the the guy just pulled from the.other side of the country. My brother works for Truckload and he does not do what we do.

I have never seen them on a " peddle ". But I have run into a guy with three stops. All right there a few miles apart.

You are trying to limit things using the extremes. Things can be blended far more gently. If a OTR driver comes into Cincinnati and has three days to wait. He can run volumes rather than be a wasted asset.
He can pull a set clear across the country except that most Truckload guys don't have the endorsement. He can pull a van in the city but they don't have an hourly pay scale to work the city for three days in the city. They get paid by the mile period.

I have never seen them on a " peddle ". But I have run into a guy with three stops. All right there a few miles apart.
They make multiple stops sometimes but usually it is for one customer like Michaels or tractor supply and they have pulled that load for hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles before they make one delivery.

Thats how FedEx has become a monster. They can do it all. Ground packages aren't going to run on express equipment"AIRPLANES".

Of course not. There will be some of this is equipment for that work stuff. But just like we talk about how line haul may change to more meet or lay downs or whatever, city work can change a bit with more over lap and less division. Just saying. It ain't the end of the world. It's still P&D.

He can pull a set clear across the country except that most Truckload guys don't have the endorsement. He can pull a van in the city but they don't have an hourly pay scale to work the city for three days in the city. They get paid by the mile period.

That may change. That is how Con-way did things. And this Jacobs guy might not even keep Truckload.

Why cant they? UPS runs packages on airplanes. When you were bought Jacobs first said he is going to cut costs by eliminating duplicate technologies. So a customer eventually isnt going to call into XPO "ltl" for a pickup. He is going to call XPO and XPO will send whomever is cheapest to get the pickup and will route it the most cost effective way to the destination. UPS and Fedex have wanted to integrate their divisions for some time and have to a certain extent. This new XPO will take it to the next level because at its core they are still a 3PL

Of course not. There will be some of this is equipment for that work stuff. But just like we talk about how line haul may change to more meet or lay downs or whatever, city work can change a bit with more over lap and less division. Just saying. It ain't the end of the world. It's still P&D.
I hear you. I am countering YRC-ATMs srgument that we should worry. He is implying that we may become one company where drivers all make one wage and do whatever. My argument is that we will continue to specialize and be paid according to what that specialization is.

Why cant they? UPS runs packages on airplanes. When you were bought Jacobs first said he is going to cut costs by eliminating duplicate technologies. So a customer eventually isnt going to call into XPO "ltl" for a pickup. He is going to call XPO and XPO will send whomever is cheapest to get the pickup and will route it the most cost effective way to the destination. UPS and Fedex have wanted to integrate their divisions for some time and have to a certain extent. This new XPO will take it to the next level because at its core they are still a 3PL

Exactly. Well said. This is where Jacobs thinks he can exploit a nitch. He doesn't want any part of package car. But he thinks he can out freight the big boys.

UPS does run packages on planes according to the level of service. They also run alot on feeders. UPS is more integrated for sure than FedEx ground.

I hear you. I am countering YRC-ATMs srgument that we should worry. He is implying that we may become one company where drivers all make one wage and do whatever. My argument is that we will continue to specialize and be paid according to what that specialization is.

That will certainly be the case. What is worry some for me is that I will possibly be under bid by a driver in my own company. We need a lot more freight to justify my wage.

I never once brought up pay nor what you would do as a job. Your worry should be elimination of duplicate jobs.