XPO | Real Photos of the New XPO Logistics

I never once brought up pay nor what you would do as a job. Your worry should be elimination of duplicate jobs.
Thats my point. We don't do the same things. My brothers head would explode if you gave him a trailer with 12 deliveries on it and told him you have three hours to make this happen and also my make some picks. My head will explode if you tell me I have to run from where I am way out west to somewhere the other side of the Mississippi river. Not going to happen.

Thats my point. We don't do the same things. My brothers head would explode if you gave him a trailer with 12 deliveries on it and told him you have three hours to make this happen and also my make some picks. My head will explode if you tell me I have to run from where I am way out west to somewhere the other side of the Mississippi river. Not going to happen.

You are giving examples of different jobs, not duplicate ones.

XPO would care less whose head will explode when told to do a job. They will use someone whose head is non-explosive.

You are giving examples of different jobs, not duplicate ones.
Where is the duplication? Who is going to peddle your route Highspeeds? There is no duplication. That is my point. On linehaul there may be but I am ok with that. I would rather see Truckload pulling a run out of my barn than Swift or England. I am of the opinion that this new company will be the high tide that will rise all boats. More freight means more everything, good and bad.

Just like it's possible that line haul could expand or shrink with more or less participation from OTR drivers. It is also possible that P&D could expand or shrink with more or less participation from O/O and independent contractors. It all depends on what his customers are and where they need the freight to go. The Con-way model is not the only way to run an LTL

If you as a p&d guy have a pickup you usually make that is 5 skids going 600 miles, and now XPO has a broker in the area with a quarter of a trailer available going past the destination. I would have the broker get it and deliver it enroute. Its cheaper and more efficient.

XPO would care less whose head will explode when told to do a job. They will use someone whose head is non-explosive.
You must not know any OTR guys. That is not what they do and there is no way you get them to. Beg,bribe, or threaten. They like the open road, low to no pressure.

Where is the duplication? Who is going to peddle your route Highspeeds? There is no duplication. That is my point. On linehaul there may be but I am ok with that. I would rather see Truckload pulling a run out of my barn than Swift or England. I am of the opinion that this new company will be the high tide that will rise all boats. More freight means more everything, good and bad.

He is already the #1 in the country for last mile. And he accomplished that without his own fleet. He has a army of people that will pick up just about anything and deliver it just about anywhere.

If you as a p&d guy have a pickup you usually make that is 5 skids going 600 miles, and now XPO has a broker in the area with a quarter of a trailer available going past the destination. I would have the broker get it and deliver it enroute. Its cheaper and more efficient.
That does make sense but how often is that going to happen and if it does does it really make that much of a difference. I don't think it will.

You must not know any OTR guys. That is not what they do and there is no way you get them to. Beg,bribe, or threaten. They like the open road, low to no pressure.

Believe it or not, there are companies out there that specialize in coast to coast LTL. They do the same as well do, just with more miles between the stops.

He is already the #1 in the country for last mile. And he accomplished that without his own fleet. He has a army of people that will pick up just about anything and deliver it just about anywhere.
That is not what we do. Those are guys in box trucks deliveing and installing appliances.

That does make sense but how often is that going to happen and if it does does it really make that much of a difference. I don't think it will.
That was one example that took 5 skids out of the old Conway system. 5 skids that a p&d guy didnt pick up, a dockman didnt load, a linehaul driver didnt pull, and a p&d driver didnt deliver.

And that is the concern. How often will those 5 skids never see our dock ? And how many other different ways are there that this guy can cut costs and save money moving something from here to there.

Believe it or not, there are companies out there that specialize in coast to coast LTL. They do the same as well do, just with more miles between the stops.
One of the fastest growing LTL companies of the last 10 years is Roadrunner. ALL are contractors.

Truckload does that. My question is will the thousands of Freight drivers do that. I won't and I don't think you will either. Drivers are hard to come by as it is, the guy is not going to push us all out the door by getting crazy with his expectations of what freight drivers should do.

One of the fastest growing LTL companies of the last 10 years is Roadrunner. ALL are contractors.

Some guys, all they know is Con-way. The whole idea that there are people out there getting this stuff done like this is foreign to them.

I've seen many OTR guys with multiple stops on their trailers. Not much different than local p&d just on a bigger scale. Pick it up and peddle across the country to your destination.

Truckload does that. My question is will the thousands of Freight drivers do that. I won't and I don't think you will either. Drivers are hard to come by as it is, the guy is not going to push us all out the door by getting crazy with his expectations of what freight drivers should do.

I think things are going to change a lot. How much, yet to be seen. But this guy loves to make money. And he will get his money.