SAIA | Union

Come on! Your killing me! I have the transports but really want that bank. Go Tar Heels :chuncky:
The Teamsters just don’t bring enough to the table these days to ever organize another major LTL player. The leaders sold out the members. The only plus is your not hired “at will” like you are with the non-union carriers. Sadly for the hard working employees at SAIA LTL FREIGHT it’s truly a shame. I can think of no other carrier in need of unionization more than SAIA. Guys at SAIA simply don’t know what it’s like to work under an CBA. They only see the money and not the dignity and respect that comes with an CBA and the job security that comes from not being hired “at will.”
I guess when you retired you came over from the dark side and ,thank you Jesus ,you can see the light.:lmao:

Yeah I Agee with ya about Hoffa , the rest is debatable .
Top pay almost 30hr. CPM around 70. 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days after ONE YEAR. OT after 45... $12 for single healthcare coverage weekly. $35 family.... and it’s UnitedHealth cares premium plan with $25 office visits. Jury Duty paid for however long it takes. No limit! 401K match to 6% Paid for 2 days for Christmas and Thanksgiving plus 1 for New Years. Plus all the other regular holidays.... Here in Texas the Local 745 is part of Central States so that’s not a selling point. SAIA is a southern carrier that’s now almost completely nationwide. Young men don’t even give much consideration to unionized carriers anymore. Not saying that’s right or wrong... just stating the facts.

Last edited:
What most people don't understand what having a union is about. It is not totally about money or health benefits. It is mostly about works rules that everyone has to abide to. The company can't just do whatever they feel like in regards to runs, seniority, bids, work rules and vacation. Every driver I talk to from another terminal, the work rules and runs are worked different. A union would stop all of that and everyone would have the same rules no matter which terminal you were at. The management and the workers would have to work under the same rules and it makes it less stressful work that way.

What most people don't understand what having a union is about. It is not totally about money or health benefits. It is mostly about works rules that everyone has to abide to. The company can't just do whatever they feel like in regards to runs, seniority, bids, work rules and vacation. Every driver I talk to from another terminal, the work rules and runs are worked different. A union would stop all of that and everyone would have the same rules no matter which terminal you were at. The management and the workers would have to work under the same rules and it makes it less stressful work that way.
I agree 100% and I understand what being hired “at will” means... And I stated that to the previous two posters. In hindsight I would have taken less pay to have the work rules fair. It’s not right that all the ass kissers get preferential treatment and better start times because some dispatcher on a power trip wants to **** with someone he doesn’t like because he stands up to him. Young guys here are accustomed to being screwed over and don’t know what it’s like to be under an CBA. All the ass kissers which are predominantly seniors get all the gravy so they prefer to not rock the boat. Why should they? Most only care about themselves. Just like management! This place needs a union in the worst way but sadly that will never happen.

Last edited:
Every major breakbulk terminal at SAIA is run differently...I guess it depends on how the TM wants things done.

Let me also add this before it’s brought up that seniors have paid their dues and deserve better start times and runs or routes etc.... Seniority means nothing here. I’ve seen senior guys get passed over for better start times because they aren’t liked by dispatch for whatever reason. This place is just ****ed up and ran by egotistical managers that play favorites to the guys that bring them breakfast and take them hunting and fishing or whatever they enjoy. Favoritism runs rampant at this company. But you will never hear that from the senior drivers. Why in the hell would they bite the hand that feeds them?

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on and the very reason this company needs a union. It will never happen though because the voting block is predominantly seniors and management knows how to play this game. This is just one of the reasons SAIA is so successful and growing. Because they are skirting work rules and saving so much money on operational cost by ****ing all the newbies and even some of the seniors if they don’t tow the company line. Rick O’dell is an absolute genius when it comes to making money at the workers expense.

Last edited:
Let me also add this before it’s brought up that seniors have paid their dues and deserve better start times and runs or routes etc.... Seniority means nothing here. I’ve seen senior guys get passed over for better start times because they aren’t liked by dispatch for whatever reason. This place is just ****ed up and ran by egotistical managers that play favorites to the guys that bring them breakfast and take them hunting and fishing or whatever they enjoy. Favoritism runs rampant at this company. But you will never hear that from the senior drivers. Why in the hell would they bite the hand that feeds them?
It’s called divide and conquer.

This would be the reason I would vote yes of all things considered. But going through 2+ years of camera/Bluetooth debacles, mass exodus of employees, and northern terminals opening, it hasn’t happened, and maybe SAIA is as shocked as I am, Odds are not in our favor and I’m sure management knows that now as well.

Top pay almost 30hr. CPM around 70. 2 weeks vacation and 5 personal days after ONE YEAR. OT after 45... $12 for single healthcare coverage weekly. $35 family.... and it’s UnitedHealth cares premium plan with $25 office visits. Jury Duty paid for however long it takes. No limit! 401K match to 6% Paid for 2 days for Christmas and Thanksgiving plus 1 for New Years. Plus all the other regular holidays.... Here in Texas the Local 745 is part of Central States so that’s not a selling point. SAIA is a southern carrier that’s now almost completely nationwide. Young men don’t even give much consideration to unionized carriers anymore. Not saying that’s right or wrong... just stating the facts.
Well I see all those dollar signs you brought up about Saia health insurance and I would say that the Teamsters even C/S has a very desirable health insurance plan next to Saia's . Everything ya mentioned cost the Teamster members $60. (maybe less than when I was there ) for the month for their insurance and that same 60 goes to other benefits like pensions etc. BTW check and see if United Health Care covers mental health . I understand they do not .

YRC is talking 320 a month for union dues for a pension that doesn’t go with your family when you die. A monthly paycheck. I can stack a 401k with that union due and have MY money work for me how I please and pass it on when I die. I’m a jr driver and was able to take vacation in prime time of the year. In a union you’ll bid vacations. Some jr guys won’t see a summer vacation for 15 years. Jr guys will have to vacation in winter. Fun! So I’ll be able to take a summer vacation when I’m old and crusty? F that! Only company in my short 13yrs of trucking and in my entire 41 yrs of life I got canned from was a Union company with a drive cam. I throw up a middle finger to a union.

YRC is talking 320 a month for union dues for a pension that doesn’t go with your family when you die. A monthly paycheck. I can stack a 401k with that union due and have MY money work for me how I please and pass it on when I die. I’m a jr driver and was able to take vacation in prime time of the year. In a union you’ll bid vacations. Some jr guys won’t see a summer vacation for 15 years. Jr guys will have to vacation in winter. Fun! So I’ll be able to take a summer vacation when I’m old and crusty? F that! Only company in my short 13yrs of trucking and in my entire 41 yrs of life I got canned from was a Union company with a drive cam. I throw up a middle finger to a union.
Not sure where your getting your info about our families not getting our pension . Answer me this Why is it that my wife will get .75% of my pension after I die for life ? It's call pop up .We have a small portion taken out of our monthly checks that provides for this .It depends how much you want taken out . Many members chose to give their spouses 100 % of their pensions . If your wife passes before you do you will get all of your pension thats why its called the POP UP.

Been at YRC for 31 yrs and Ive worked for non union and it doesnt compare. First of all union dues are not $320 a month, theyre $55. That gets you a BA that represents you if you get fired or have other disciplinary action against you. Being union gives you job security knowing you wont be fired or laidoff for no reason, for example refusing unsafe equipment, overweight loads or unsafe working conditions, etc. We get OT after 8hrs, 100% paid healthcare, dental and eyecare with no deductables, pension, 5 sick, 2 personal, 10 holidays and 6wks vacation. We get paid for all waiting time, breakdowns, and time consumed, 10hrs for 2nd bed on a trip, paid hotel time. We were in trouble here after the recession because YRCW management bought Roadway, New Penn, Holland and Reddaway and had 1.4 Billion in debt and almost went out of business. They just bought thousands of tractors and trailers. We're voting on a 5yr contract now which includes an increase of $4hr wages, no forced 34hr restart or 70hrs in city, no disciplinary action for forward facing cameras, no cameras facing drivers. If you got fired from a union job and couldnt get your job back it had to be pretty bad! Stealing is probably the only reason. Good luck!

Not sure where your getting your info about our families not getting our pension . Answer me this Why is it that my wife will get .75% of my pension after I die for life ? It's call pop up .We have a small portion taken out of our monthly checks that provides for this .It depends how much you want taken out . Many members chose to give their spouses 100 % of their pensions . If your wife passes before you do you will get all of your pension thats why its called the POP UP.

Ok, I learn something new everyday. Most union jobs have pensions most non unions don’t. Why I kinda associated them together. Most of my jobs didn’t have a pension why I was totally off.

Been at YRC for 31 yrs and Ive worked for non union and it doesnt compare. First of all union dues are not $320 a month, theyre $55. That gets you a BA that represents you if you get fired or have other disciplinary action against you. Being union gives you job security knowing you wont be fired or laidoff for no reason, for example refusing unsafe equipment, overweight loads or unsafe working conditions, etc. We get OT after 8hrs, 100% paid healthcare, dental and eyecare with no deductables, pension, 5 sick, 2 personal, 10 holidays and 6wks vacation. We get paid for all waiting time, breakdowns, and time consumed, 10hrs for 2nd bed on a trip, paid hotel time. We were in trouble here after the recession because YRCW management bought Roadway, New Penn, Holland and Reddaway and had 1.4 Billion in debt and almost went out of business. They just bought thousands of tractors and trailers. We're voting on a 5yr contract now which includes an increase of $4hr wages, no forced 34hr restart or 70hrs in city, no disciplinary action for forward facing cameras, no cameras facing drivers. If you got fired from a union job and couldnt get your job back it had to be pretty bad! Stealing is probably the only reason. Good luck!

YRC isn’t a hostile place. Only place I feel needs a union is UPS. IMO. I’ve been in the LTL non union side for 7 years. Not once has my job been threatened. Not even a final write up or a paper trail. My company pays me well and close to UPSF. They will continue to give us raises also. Probably be close to where UPSF by the end of their contract.

I’m not criminal if that’s what your trying to insinuate. I turned down UPSF and USPS for tractor trailer gig. Both Union jobs. I accepted a position got the letter from USPS and then I turned it down. It takes a massive GIS Gov background check(I can post it so you don’t think I’m liar) and a flawless work and MVR to get on with them. So I basically didn’t steal or wreck anything. I’m just gonna leave it there.

I’m not gonna go on and on about union vs non union. You guys are too bias union you won’t even blink to give non union a chance. I’ve been on both sides of the fence. My opinion isn’t one sided.

I retract my statement. Forgot pension is company thing. But your basically paying for an agent to negotiate a contract. Rather keep my money. It was US Foods.
You wouldnt pay $55 momthly dues for union representation, and to negotiate your wages and benefits for you? According to your coworkers you are treated like chit, mash or damage a truck and see how much support you get, Ive worked on both sides and non union doesnt compare, your comparing to UPS also, thats a totally different ball game!

Last edited: