ODFL | Wage And Benefit Meeting

They also have medical/dental/vision at no cost to the employee, and nearly $8/hour into their pension, and overtime after 8. So, if I’m doing the math...
Here’s some math. Say y’all make $25 a hour times 8 equals $200. You put in 2 hours OT at $37.50, that’s $275 for the day. Now another company pays $28 straight time. My math says that you make $5 more straight time. This of course is hypothetical. But this is what convinced me to get hired at OD. Yes, I got overtime at my last company, but less hourly than at OD. Hourly I made more at OD. Don’t forget the taxman. Here’s my bottom line. I’m mileage so OT doesn’t affect me. I’m very happy with what I make. Besides who’s going to guarantee that you’ll work over 8 or 40.

Here’s some math. Say y’all make $25 a hour times 8 equals $200. You put in 2 hours OT at $37.50, that’s $275 for the day. Now another company pays $28 straight time. My math says that you make $5 more straight time. This of course is hypothetical. But this is what convinced me to get hired at OD. Yes, I got overtime at my last company, but less hourly than at OD. Hourly I made more at OD. Don’t forget the taxman. Here’s my bottom line. I’m mileage so OT doesn’t affect me. I’m very happy with what I make. Besides who’s going to guarantee that you’ll work over 8 or 40.
You’re in a good spot if you’re running line. All city bid positions at ABF Freight are guaranteed 40 hours/week as per the contract. As for ‘guaranteed’ OT, I can tell you from experience that OT for me as a city driver at ABF was a daily occurrence. Rarely did I work an 8-hour day, let alone a 40-hour week. Thankfully, there’s an Excessive Overtime clause in the contract that states we can’t be worked over 10 hours if we signed the sheet next to the time clock on a daily basis. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t mind working overtime, as long as it wasn’t a ridiculous amount. I just wanna be PAID for overtime if I’m working it...either after 8, and certainly after 40 hours.

Good for you. But this argument rubs me too. “I got mine” is no way to be a brother. OD is a far better place with a far better future than ABF is, but I still believe firmly they can improve. Overtime would about make it idyllic.
I wasn’t implying an “I got mine” attitude. Never have, never will. I was merely stating a fact. I have several buds that work for OD, and they have (mostly) good things to say. I actually applied there a few years ago, but they had a transfer from another terminal apply, and he got the job...which I definitely support. As for ABF’s future, who’s to say? Look at YRC. They were almost dead in the water. Yet, 10 years later, they’re still truckin’.

How did western states get OD to pay OT? It took a law. You can ask od all you want, but they will never voluntarily give you ot. It will either take the pressure of a union drive or a law passing. Market forces aren’t strong enough. Union won’t ever go in at OD, so that leaves laws

Dayton pay is pretty equal. Anyways... city is a joke. Been there done that, absolutely hated it... mostly the OT part, but only a few non union places do OT anyways. Love me some line haul!! More money, less BS.... only complaint here is no detention unless bid and $10 detention. Routinely wait 3 hours at my turn, unpaid. Really drops the hourly pay, but usually sleep or do other stuff so meh. Pros and cons. Happy to see a 2 cpm bump though! Happy where I work. Certainly a line of people to drive here. Seems like dock work is the only thing hard to fill.

Dayton pay is pretty equal. Anyways... city is a joke. Been there done that, absolutely hated it... mostly the OT part, but only a few non union places do OT anyways. Love me some line haul!! More money, less BS.... only complaint here is no detention unless bid and $10 detention. Routinely wait 3 hours at my turn, unpaid. Really drops the hourly pay, but usually sleep or do other stuff so meh. Pros and cons. Happy to see a 2 cpm bump though! Happy where I work. Certainly a line of people to drive here. Seems like dock work is the only thing hard to fill.

You wait 3 hours at your meet??? I would be talking to my supervisor about that... no excuse for your meet driver to be that late. Btw, you can draw $10/hr after one hour of waiting at a meet.

How did western states get OD to pay OT? It took a law. You can ask od all you want, but they will never voluntarily give you ot. It will either take the pressure of a union drive or a law passing. Market forces aren’t strong enough. Union won’t ever go in at OD, so that leaves laws
I guess I missed something. Which western states is OD paying OT in?

You wait 3 hours at your meet??? I would be talking to my supervisor about that... no excuse for your meet driver to be that late. Btw, you can draw $10/hr after one hour of waiting at a meet.
Do you think the driver wants to be 3 hours late its the companys fault and the one meet guy always blames the other meet guy

90 cents is big dissappointment. OR less than 78% and our raise not even 3%.

I am sad to see so many people here happy with such a small raise.
90 cents plus a huge dump into the 401k which I believe worked out to be 3-4K per participant. People are happy with what we get because we look at the whole picture. Financially sound company that gives quite a bit back to its employees. Yes some things could be be better but looking at the big picture we get quite a lot.

As a current linehaul guy (former p@d many years go.) I was an advocate for time and a half for ot. But to say hours won’t be managed if they would start paying out ot is not true. The terminals that can will manage hours and do currently. Those terminals that can’t get enough drivers will make out really good if they paid ot. Talking to many city guys at my barn they would prefer not to go to time and half because they would absolutley manage hours so those guys would lose big in the long run. Instead of paying time and half I say we improve our Benefits package.

As a current linehaul guy (former p@d many years go.) I was an advocate for time and a half for ot. But to say hours won’t be managed if they would start paying out ot is not true. The terminals that can will manage hours and do currently. Those terminals that can’t get enough drivers will make out really good if they paid ot. Talking to many city guys at my barn they would prefer not to go to time and half because they would absolutley manage hours so those guys would lose big in the long run. Instead of paying time and half I say we improve our Benefits package.

If managing hours means going from 55 to 50 hours I would take it. Current rate is 27.90, right? So that would be 1534.50/week. 50 with overtime is 1597.50. $60 extra to work 5 fewer hours! Tell me how this is a big loss?

If managing hours means going from 55 to 50 hours I would take it. Current rate is 27.90, right? So that would be 1534.50/week. 50 with overtime is 1597.50. $60 extra to work 5 fewer hours! Tell me how this is a big loss?
They would manage it to where you wouldn’t go over the threshold for time and half. I’ll give you at some terminals it unavoidable to have OT. I would bet close to a majority of the terminals in the system would manage it that way. It comes down to the bottom line. Having a driver go into overtime would be a big hit to the terminals numbers. I’m saying the current system seems to be a happy median between employees and company. I.E. we will pay you straight time and won’t cut hours until you hit 60 hours for the week.

It isnt a driver meet. My turn is a "mini hub". Lot of trailers come down, get broken and redistributed. I believe my cut time is 4 out of there. Havent been out before 5am. Lately it has been 6-630. If I go straight from my barn, I get there shortly after 2am. It is a known complaint, most people hate it, lots of drivers waiting. I'm wild so I don't get any detention. If you factor sitting time, it's like $24/hour.

It isnt a driver meet. My turn is a "mini hub". Lot of trailers come down, get broken and redistributed. I believe my cut time is 4 out of there. Havent been out before 5am. Lately it has been 6-630. If I go straight from my barn, I get there shortly after 2am. It is a known complaint, most people hate it, lots of drivers waiting. I'm wild so I don't get any detention. If you factor sitting time, it's like $24/hour.

That’s bullshit there.

They would manage it to where you wouldn’t go over the threshold for time and half. I’ll give you at some terminals it unavoidable to have OT. I would bet close to a majority of the terminals in the system would manage it that way. It comes down to the bottom line. Having a driver go into overtime would be a big hit to the terminals numbers. I’m saying the current system seems to be a happy median between employees and company. I.E. we will pay you straight time and won’t cut hours until you hit 60 hours for the week.

Managing hours down to 40 from current averages would be awfully difficult. Can you imagine how many more drivers they would have to hire to get everyone down to 40? Common sense says the benefits alone, let alone more equipment would be cost prohibitive. They could manage it a little, but most city guys I know are working 56-58 hours a week. That’s 16-18 hours per week per employee they would have to reduce. In a barn of 25 city drivers that’s 450 man hours of reduction. Equals out another 10 drivers and that still only reduces it to 45 hours. Say they added 6 trucks (rough guess as to what it would take to have adequate equipment) would be $720,000 in equipment alone. For one barn. I can’t even tell you what the added benefit cost would be. I tried to look up my total compensation and the OD website is down. What I’m saying is that paying overtime is more effective. I know they don’t HAVE to, but based on their profit margins they SHOULD.