ODFL | Wage And Benefit Meeting

Managing hours doesn’t necessarily mean cutting the daily hours. The just cut you a day and fill it with a junior or combo driver. The hostler’s at a certain barn are pulled out of the goat one day a week and put on the dock to avoid the overtime payment. Let’s see in my daily travels I see Unified Grocers, ABF, UPSF, YRC all being pulled by cut throats. What happens to the drivers that should have those runs. Sitting at home. I get my information from a former employee of one of those companies. Now do we want to be sitting at home while a duct tape special is pulling our trailers?

I doubt OD is willing to risk their reputation letting cutthroat outfits do PnD. That’s the primary reason we haul almost all of our linehaul. They aren’t willing to put their reputation of on time delivery in the hands of outsiders. Believe me, image is a BIG deal to OD.

Lunches aren't paid but you do get 2x15s paid. I'd rather combine my 2x15s and keep rolling through my shift. That's what I did when working city anyways. Didn't have time to take a break, but I see no point in giving up paid breaks.

Lunches aren't paid but you do get 2x15s paid. I'd rather combine my 2x15s and keep rolling through my shift. That's what I did when working city anyways. Didn't have time to take a break, but I see no point in giving up paid breaks.
Factory workers and construction workers and office people take lunch and breaks why should a trucker be treated like a worker in a 3rd world country

Factory workers and construction workers and office people take lunch and breaks why should a trucker be treated like a worker in a 3rd world country

My choice. My route was my route. Getting done 30 minutes sooner seemed worth it and made the day go by. I kind of refused to go help other people, but my area was special. It would stay busy. Even in the slow days, I'd still pull 9-10 hours hustling. Rare to be slow, but it happened. I loved that route... now I line haul and I'm in love. More money, less bs. I run wild. Variety and I get pimped out and get lore miles than just about anyone else at my barn. Use me. Abuse me. My bank account loves it. I also pick up Saturday's.

Managing hours down to 40 from current averages would be awfully difficult. Can you imagine how many more drivers they would have to hire to get everyone down to 40? Common sense says the benefits alone, let alone more equipment would be cost prohibitive. They could manage it a little, but most city guys I know are working 56-58 hours a week. That’s 16-18 hours per week per employee they would have to reduce. In a barn of 25 city drivers that’s 450 man hours of reduction. Equals out another 10 drivers and that still only reduces it to 45 hours. Say they added 6 trucks (rough guess as to what it would take to have adequate equipment) would be $720,000 in equipment alone. For one barn. I can’t even tell you what the added benefit cost would be. I tried to look up my total compensation and the OD website is down. What I’m saying is that paying overtime is more effective. I know they don’t HAVE to, but based on their profit margins they SHOULD.
I don’t believe they would drop it to 40hrs a week. At best it would be dropped too 45 and more likely 50. I get your point just seeing both sides of the it. I’ve always understood a company would much rather hire more people than pay out OT. I’m betting there are some tax advantages that make it more profitable to an employer to hire more and buy more equipment.

If you don’t have time to stop to take a break they’re piling too much on you. There’s no excuse to expect a guy to work 12 hours straight with no break. This isn’t the late 1800s for God’s sake.

If you don’t have time to stop to take a break they’re piling too much on you. There’s no excuse to expect a guy to work 12 hours straight with no break. This isn’t the late 1800s for God’s sake.

I said 9-10 hours. I was told to shut up about it when people weren't making 8. I wasn't complaining, I was happy. Was told to shut up because someone with tenure might hear it and take the route from me. That being said, I think tenure is stupid as hell. I know guys with seniority on high bid runs taking naps. I don't need naps. I move freight like the terminator. It's whatever. I just want line. Please give me miles to slay. I want to stretch these legs.

I admit, I think of myself as a money maker for OD. I thought that in the city, and I think that running line. My truck and I move ::shit::... we make money. That is my OTR mindset. Like my trainer said in long haul.... "get it the **** there"

I admit, I think of myself as a money maker for OD. I thought that in the city, and I think that running line. My truck and I move :::shit:::... we make money. That is my OTR mindset. Like my trainer said in long haul.... "get it the :censored: there"

That otr mindset to work like an early 1900’s factory worker has been the downfall of this industry son,, take it from us who been doing this a while,, these otr trainers ain’t had none the experience us old hands got,, keep running with no breaks thinking you’re super man and you’ll just be another of many rolled over sets we see pictures of

That otr mindset to work like an early 1900’s factory worker has been the downfall of this industry son,, take it from us who been doing this a while,, these otr trainers ain’t had none the experience us old hands got,, keep running with no breaks thinking you’re super man and you’ll just be another of many rolled over sets we see pictures of

The harder you work will only generate more work. They LOVE their “money makers”. They just pile it on higher and deeper.

I resent those inflammatory comments. I've done the mountains, :shit:ty road conditions, etc. I love to drive and want to be paid to drive. None the less... I'm sure they love the people moving freight. I also love those fat checks.....

Here’s what I do, I get to my meet point, inter trip, drop, and take my 30 minutes. The two 15’s never done it. I don’t have time. I hit the communist city of Portland and their 90 minute traffic delay at rush hour. If you’re not taking your break, you’ll eventually get popped. Especially with these new ELD’s. Like some of us have said, don’t be a statistic. Enjoy your work, but what do I know. OTR trainers, really. Most haven’t been driving a truck long enough to know what’s up from down.

I don’t believe they would drop it to 40hrs a week. At best it would be dropped too 45 and more likely 50. I get your point just seeing both sides of the it. I’ve always understood a company would much rather hire more people than pay out OT. I’m betting there are some tax advantages that make it more profitable to an employer to hire more and buy more equipment.
Especially if they go through the OD school coming from the dock. Those are the super trucker’s. I have some tell me that I’m doing it wrong. Really, well son do you want to run my run this winter? Oops, that’s what I thought.

I admit, I think of myself as a money maker for OD. I thought that in the city, and I think that running line. My truck and I move :::shit:::... we make money. That is my OTR mindset. Like my trainer said in long haul.... "get it the :censored: there"
I’ve seen the best get terminated for a mistake. We all make money for the company at different levels. Let go of the OTR mindset. We’re freight haulers.

I used to roll right through my 15-minute (eventually 10-minute) breaks regularly. Until the ELD’s, I’d roll through my lunch too. The reason? EXACTLY what you mentioned...too much piled on. One guy, 200 mile loop route, and at least two trailers every day, plus pickups. I’m retired now...thank God.