TForce | All the terminals signing now will need stewards.

Nice find Overnite.
this pretty much sums this subject up.
I did post some what of a guidline to stewards.
But being out of the teamsters union for 22 years I'm kind of rusty on a few issues.
But like I say Overnite your post is very good information for all of us.
Thanks!

I also read somewhere but can't find it now, that shop stewards get $1 per person they represent, but like everything else that would be local dependent.

Nice find Overnite.
this pretty much sums this subject up.
I did post some what of a guidline to stewards.
But being out of the teamsters union for 22 years I'm kind of rusty on a few issues.
But like I say Overnite your post is very good information for all of us.
Thanks!

Ok, I took the day off that is my excuse for being on here in the middle of the day (I am normlly sleeping at this time) whats yours? No wonder your TM is on you about Time, he sees you playing on the internet while your suppose to be working.

jk

I've never heard of that idea before?
Would that be one dollar per person per month?
Thats much better then getting free dues if your representing a lot of workers.
Although representing a lot of workers can also be a very big job,besides your normal duties required by the company.

O,
I know of no Stewards in the Teamster freight division that are paid anything for representing their co-workers.....and if they're a road driver they can actually lose money when they take off for grievance hearings. Some rarely attend a grievance hearing...others seldom miss one.

Yes this is also very true stldude44.
I worked at LTL companies with good,and bad stewards.
Thats why seeing we are starting out fresh we should make sure the person thats given this job is right for it.

This is from that article I posted.

"No Steward shall suffer a loss of pay if required by the Executive Board to participate in litigation. Furthermore, no Steward shall suffer a loss of pay if required to participate in the affairs of the Union. The rate of compensation for such activities shall be at the applicable rate of pay as set forth in the collective bargaining agreement under which the respective Steward is working"

And I am sure this is a region thing, it talks about local bylaws.

Honestly the $1 per person may not have been a teamster union, I will do some searching to see if I can find it.

O,
While what you cite in your post #86 may be true there many Locals who don't require a Steward to attend a grievance hearing, a Change Of Operation hearing or other Union business functions since they're already paying a Business Agent to attend. A small Local may not want to pay for an extra coast to coast plane ticket and motel bill, etc.....there are Stewards who don't expect pay.....they are in it for the good of their co-workers and to stand up for what is right.

When I spoke to the IBT Western Regional Director out of Phoenix, I asked about stewards. He said that rule of thumb is approx. 1 steward to every 25 employees. You will each have to do your own math as I have no idea the quantity of employees at each terminal.

I know the answer to this.
Some terminals have a few more than one.
Some have not as many as some terminals.
But the hubs have a lot.

How does one determine which region they belong to...?by hub,spoke or wheel???? or other?

If I am quoting this correctly, the New England states is part of joint council 10, of coarse it is made up of several different locals, in 6 different states, we have all sighned for representation, so therefore the Teamsters have the REGION.

Now again confirmation would be nice, but I am sure if all locals are won, in any given Teamster region, those locals will negotiate as a region.

If I am quoting this correctly, the New England states is part of joint council 10, of coarse it is made up of several different locals, in 6 different states, we have all sighned for representation, so therefore the Teamsters have the REGION.

Now again confirmation would be nice, but I am sure if all locals are won, in any given Teamster region, those locals will negotiate as a region.
So, regions are determined by the IBT[more or less] ? And thanks for the insight...

this is a bad contract, they are selling us short, can`t anybodt see this?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The final vote in Indy was 107 for and 1 against.
If the contract was that bad it wouldn't haave passed by that margin. Is it the NMFA?, no but Brown isn't in the Central States Pension Fund any longer either.
Take Care
Be safe:funky:

how does it work for terminals that are very small? And the people that want to be a steward, noone votes for?

If I have to elect a steward I want someone who could understand a labor contract, and be on my side, not someone who is fair. Or buddy buddy with others and has a grudge others.
Overnite,
The process works as follows:
Joe lets his fellow employees know that he want to be steward
One of Joe's friends nominates him, and another seconds the nomination
This process is follwed by anyone else that shows an intrest in becoming steward until nominations are closed.
A ballot box is brought to the terminal and the election is held
All votes are verified, all members voting must be in good standing, dues currrent and employees @ that terminal.
The candidate with the most votes is declared the winner and is the duly elected steward.
Hopes this helps
Take care
Be Safe :smilie_132:

Well in some cases we are being sold short yes, but in comparison our contract is better, first of all we are all "utility workers " as opposed to the NMFA where the UTILITY drivers can do anything, and get paid 1 xtra dollar per HR. as opposed to the regular drivers, that cannot have this option transferring. They also are getting part time people. I am sure as we are, will take full advantage of that option.

The monies is better, but we get a hit on the INS. if we accept it. We also get a hit on the Pention. The work rules could be different per region, could also end up being the same.

Thier is deffinatley "what if's"

So Accelerator now that your all signed up.
Are you saying these are the issues thats being worked out on your local supplements?

When do you think your terminal will be working under your contract?

Soon,very soon,or even sooner than that?

So Accelerator now that your all signed up.
Are you saying these are the issues thats being worked out on your local supplements?

When do you think your terminal will be working under your contract?

Soon,very soon,or even sooner than that?

We have sighned, all the terminals is recognized, at this point we are waiting for the union to make a move, appearently we can get all of our eggs in one basket having meetings with the people in our terminal and the hall, but we cannot legally negotiate for another 45 day's, NLRB Laws. From the date of recognition.

So until we have our first meeting, we will then bring awnsers to the table, until then we know as much as you do.

Supposedly we will have a meeting next weekend, but the hall has not confirmed this yet, so I will let you know.:1036316054: