XPO | ARE SCMs Really Necessary

It's okay. I am a Browns fan. The only thing we get caught doing is being terrible. It's not actually a crime. But to be this bad for this long is sinister.
You also get caught with a wig on in Las Vegas when you claim you're at home recuperating ( with your dog ). You get caught in the bathroom with rolled up money straw for snorting cocaine but claim you don't have a problem. You get investigated by police for roughing up your girlfriend but claim nothing happened. Cleveland Browns quarterback , Johnny Manzel. Did they cut him yet? ( so Jerry Jones can pick up him and RG3 ):off topic::couch:

7j4ibSZ.jpg

This is a perfect example why we need management. These guys see something shiny and it's gets out of hand and they lose focus..........

Well after last weeks downsizing activity, I must say, XPO seems to be heading in the right direction with cost cutting reductions. Highspeeds could not have said it any better. I for one COMPLETELY understand.......... let's just make sure SCMs perform, get results ,and make our place of employment more profitable and successful!
:6799:

I am biased since I was a Scm for 22 years before retiring from what I like to remember as CCX. I agree that a lot of the work handled by a SCM could be done by others. Scm do a lot of busy work , probably not all of it was needed, but so much of the job was not really related to putting freight on the trucks , etc. When I was with the company , there was so much emphasis on being procedurely sound, so much of what I had to do revolved around that. I am sure that most of the DSR, FOS, etc. really didn't know what I had to do during my work day. So yes, I think you need a leader in any organization, whether it is a Scm , a manager of store, a coach of a sports team , a pastor of a church, I could go on and on. Hopefully there are more good SCM than bad ones.

Okay, so the new P & L approach to monitoring service centers is in effect and cooking the books or playing with numbers seems to be active. I have witnessed a service at a loss of an excessive amount of revenue and ironically enough they were almost to the dollar in the black when the first report came out. Heard that to get numbers right for their report some might be turning in their fuel cost numbers in after the monthly P & L report. That's only going to work every other month so I can almost guarantee that the next report this particular SC has will be in the red at a loss. It will be a pattern that will almost slap any auditor in the face with unethical behavior if XPO follows their own philosophy.

Over the years I have observed managers throughout the former Con-way organization and come to realize that the benefits of their position to the organization does not seem to outweigh the company saving thousands if not millions company wide without them, I mean, take a look at what their level of involvement is to generating revenue or participating in actually actively taking a role in the operation of a service center. The internet and real-time streaming information can run the organization from one centralized location saving a unprecedented amount of costs. Currently I observe managers just doing minimal pre-shift meetings and a weekly operations meeting once a week. Other than that it's basically stair at a scorecard and hope it makes numbers for a bonus. I have witnessed many of times a shorthanded operation and the SCM takes no active role to help out (i.e. print bills, call customer appointments, answer phones, set runs up, manage labor for the day etc,) in fact it's a pre-shift meeting in the break room delaying our customer's freight even more. It was proven that service centers can run without them with the last big gathering in St; Louis. Please help me understand why waste continues?
:idunno:
I think the SCM and FOS's are more worried about their jobs then we are , I've noticed they all are in the " ahh f&*ck it " mode , which truth be told . All we really need at a SC is a couple of FOS's for city operation a HR person or two to get supplies and see the pecking order is followed there is no need to have so many FOS's and no need at all for a FOM or SCM. The HR person does pretty much the same job .

Con-Way got really bad with the needless management positions in the last few years. Does a 2-sector terminal really need an SCM, an FOM, and 6 FOS's?

When I went over to Saia, it was a huge culture shock because I went from overbearing micromanagement to the very opposite at Saia. Most of the smaller terminals here don't have a dedicated manager, they will have one terminal manager oversee 2-3 terminals. They also don't have an equivalent to the FOS at most smaller terminals, the DRIVERS are the ones who run things (Con-Way used to be that way). They will have one or two designated drivers that run the inbound and outbound before or after their run.

Seems to work great, saves tons of money, and things go smoother because it's drivers running the operations instead of some college educated idiot who knows nothing about the trucking industry.
You watch and see if they don't go back to the good ol days if Jacobs's big plans don't takeoff .

Con-Way got really bad with the needless management positions in the last few years. Does a 2-sector terminal really need an SCM, an FOM, and 6 FOS's?

When I went over to Saia, it was a huge culture shock because I went from overbearing micromanagement to the very opposite at Saia. Most of the smaller terminals here don't have a dedicated manager, they will have one terminal manager oversee 2-3 terminals. They also don't have an equivalent to the FOS at most smaller terminals, the DRIVERS are the ones who run things (Con-Way used to be that way). They will have one or two designated drivers that run the inbound and outbound before or after their run.

Seems to work great, saves tons of money, and things go smoother because it's drivers running the operations instead of some college educated idiot who knows nothing about the trucking industry.
Honestly , how messy would it get if you eliminated half of the management ( Freight Operations Managers , Freight Operations Supervisors , Terminal Managers ) What I mean by that is - If these excessive management types suspect that they're getting let go they would inflict a lot of damage on the way out.
I think the SCM and FOS's are more worried about their jobs then we are , I've noticed they all are in the " ahh f&*ck it " mode , which truth be told . All we really need at a SC is a couple of FOS's for city operation a HR person or two to get supplies and see the pecking order is followed there is no need to have so many FOS's and no need at all for a FOM or SCM. The HR person does pretty much the same job .
There has to be more consolidation to come. We have so many ( too many? ) management types - there are tons of qualified people walking around.

There have been times ( recently ) where there were more FOSs , SCMs , CSRs , and drivers that are in the Field Manager Trainee program in the office than there was on the dock. Too many chiefs , not enough Indians.

In xsl one of the fos quit so we were down to fom and 2 fos. Fom had to run a sector. We still got everything done and closed down fac just as quick as when they had 5-6 people walking around.

In xsl one of the fos quit so we were down to fom and 2 fos. Fom had to run a sector. We still got everything done and closed down fac just as quick as when they had 5-6 people walking around.

It has been routine to see dockhands and light duty drivers with radios running sectors. Changes nothing. We chase our freight so that we can go.

If the scanner says 140,000 at 680 cube. It's going to be a tight night. Trailers are gonna have to be 20K.

If the scanner says 140,000 at 1080 cube. It's going to be an easy night. Plugging freight in with any big shots.

If by good old days you mean a smaller company with less freight and fewer employees, I'm not excited by that idea.

Not necessarily less freight, just less so-called "management". Or, at least an upper management team that doesn't have their craniums lodged firmly up their rectums...

The best week we ever had at my old terminal was the week that both the SCM and the FOM were on vacation at the same time. Trust me, it WASN'T a coincidence...