XPO | ARE SCMs Really Necessary

It has been routine to see dockhands and light duty drivers with radios running sectors. Changes nothing. We chase our freight so that we can go.
I disagree , When they put a moron dock worker in there that can't even read a map, then that dummy starts getting a power trip for the week he's going to be in that position covering for a Fos on vacation . It turns into a disaster . mix in not being able to speak intelligible english and unwillingness to ask or follow driver advise and when you go over his head to a real Fos that just wants to rock out on their mp3 player and not leave the office , so they tell you It's their sector , hoping to watch the dock worker crash and burn smiles and goes back to rocking out . makes you wanna go screaming while running off into the distance pulling your hair out .

I disagree , When they put a moron dock worker in there that can't even read a map, then that dummy starts getting a power trip for the week he's going to be in that position covering for a Fos on vacation . It turns into a disaster . mix in not being able to speak intelligible english and unwillingness to ask or follow driver advise and when you go over his head to a real Fos that just wants to rock out on their mp3 player and not leave the office , so they tell you It's their sector , hoping to watch the dock worker crash and burn smiles and goes back to rocking out . makes you wanna go screaming while running off into the distance pulling your hair out .

Luckily, we don't have that problem. We tell whoever that we need this or that and they set it up.

If things went the way you depict. The first day we would all lay down. That real FOS would be sent down to sort it out. And the next night it would someone more competent, if not obedient, with the radio and the power tripping idiot would be loading long boxes.

We been doing this to long to get tripped up by something like that. There is a solution for everything. The worse things get, the more I get paid. Ain't hurting me at all.

Not necessarily less freight, just less so-called "management". Or, at least an upper management team that doesn't have their craniums lodged firmly up their rectums...

I expect a lot more housecleaning in Ann Arbor. A well as through the system. His technology will replace a lot of peoples occupations.

Where I run they have been cut to bare minimum number of fos so they don't have time to goof off. They seem to stay busy. The last thing they want to do is get caught sitting around for fear they will be cut.

Where I run they have been cut to bare minimum number of fos so they don't have time to goof off. They seem to stay busy. The last thing they want to do is get caught sitting around for fear they will be cut.
even with the cuts just how busy do you think they are? you don't need look any further then some of your own drivers to see looking busy and actually being busy are 2 different animals,and most runs set themselves up! i.e the rural runs, and in big city's i'm sure they load em up by zip code! oh wait a second they do have to rip the dr's off the printer and put them in a pouch

Over the years I have observed managers throughout the former Con-way organization and come to realize that the benefits of their position to the organization does not seem to outweigh the company saving thousands if not millions company wide without them, I mean, take a look at what their level of involvement is to generating revenue or participating in actually actively taking a role in the operation of a service center. The internet and real-time streaming information can run the organization from one centralized location saving a unprecedented amount of costs. Currently I observe managers just doing minimal pre-shift meetings and a weekly operations meeting once a week. Other than that it's basically stair at a scorecard and hope it makes numbers for a bonus. I have witnessed many of times a shorthanded operation and the SCM takes no active role to help out (i.e. print bills, call customer appointments, answer phones, set runs up, manage labor for the day etc,) in fact it's a pre-shift meeting in the break room delaying our customer's freight even more. It was proven that service centers can run without them with the last big gathering in St; Louis. Please help me understand why waste continues?
:idunno:

Does anybody know if it's true that BJ has directed SCM's to go out occasionally and do sales calls...or is that just a rumor?

Wow ! I guess these guys have to really earn their pay now a days.
:1036316054:

83fd02da_smeter3ob.jpeg

At what point do the executives take a look at how a service center is run in stead of making goals that are not attained for the new bonus program? Seems to me it's elementary, if goals are not achieved then something in that operation is seriously dysfunctional, not rocket science. Changes are VERY necessary!

At what point do the executives take a look at how a service center is run in stead of making goals that are not attained for the new bonus program? Seems to me it's elementary, if goals are not achieved then something in that operation is seriously dysfunctional, not rocket science. Changes are VERY necessary!

Our bonuses are leveraged against managements bonuses. If we make more they make less and vice versa. The company is only on the hook for ( x ) amount of bonus regardless.

Remember when managers were best & brightest drivers that had the desire, determination & drive to make the company better for employees, customers & owners? Hahahahaha! What? Huh? No, I'm awake now. Whew
Now all you need is 4 extra years of schooling to be a boss. That's all fine and good untill the computer system crashes.
My SCM can not fill in for any of our FOS inbound, outbound , and dispatch. When one of them is off the position is filled by who??? Drivers.