Yellow | Camera coaching ?

OK…this is why NO Union member should be coaching another one.

This dash cam system was installed by the COMPANY….We have been told by the COMPANY that there will be no discipline issued in regards to what is on the camera (Side Note: This is also the same COMPANY that stated they would keep Roadway & Yellow separate brands and NEVER merge them)

Now you get called into the office for a “coaching" session by a Union member, Steward, or even an officer from your Local union. You tell them you had rather not and walk away. Later the COMPANY threatens you for not looking at the dash cam videos and gives you a warning for not following instructions…..WHO instructed me? Who told the COMPANY I would not look at the videos? Who will be the COMPANY witness?

What happens when the driver has an accident, and the COMPANY uses his “coaching videos” as proof that the driver has had this “problem” before and now it has lead to an accident?.....WHO, will be the witness for the COMPANY?

Too many problems can arise from this….it is the COMPANY”S dash cam program…The COMPANY did not ask the drivers to approve its purchase.

With ALL this going on, WHY should a Rank & File Member be the one to “coach” the driver? Let COMPANY management do the job and let them hire the Safety people to do it….DON’T harm your Brothers & Sisters!

If you cause ME harm…I will come after YOUR card…..plain and simple.............KK

I think a good part of the opposition to these cameras comes from those who are afraid of that terrible word....change
I agree to a point but I would put it to you that not all change is good. Just because we have the where with all to do a thing does not always mean that we should or that it's a good thing.

This dash cam system was installed by the COMPANY….We have been told by the COMPANY that there will be no discipline issued in regards to what is on the camera (Side Note: This is also the same COMPANY that stated they would keep Roadway & Yellow separate brands and NEVER merge them)
<snip>

Discipline is a contractual issue, keeping Yellow and Roadway separate was not, just saying.

LV, I get where you're coming from wondering what might happen years from now. We have to watch carefully to make sure it stays just the way it's presented. No problem there. When I was feeder driver at UPS over forty years ago they had already been using Tacographs to record tractor speed, rpm's, distance traveled, etc. They were not allowed to use any of that information to discipline drivers. I could be wrong but I don't think that has changed.

Tachoscheibe.jpg

LV, I get where you're coming from wondering what might happen years from now. We have to watch carefully to make sure it stays just the way it's presented. No problem there. When I was feeder driver at UPS over forty years ago they had already been using Tacographs to record tractor speed, rpm's, distance traveled, etc. They were not allowed to use any of that information to discipline drivers. I could be wrong but I don't think that has changed.

Tachoscheibe.jpg
Wow, we use to drive when dinosaurs roamed the earth! I can't remember how many of those gadgets were played with back in the day!

In place of “coaching” they could just as easily require that you view a relevant safety video each time you create an event that causes concern. This would eliminate most of the controversy, and would provide a more consistent response across company.

Now you get called into the office for a “coaching" session by a Union member, Steward, or even an officer from your Local union. You tell them you had rather not and walk away. Later the COMPANY threatens you for not looking at the dash cam videos and gives you a warning for not following instructions…..WHO instructed me? Who told the COMPANY I would not look at the videos? Who will be the COMPANY witness?

What happens when the driver has an accident, and the COMPANY uses his “coaching videos” as proof that the driver has had this “problem” before and now it has lead to an accident?.....WHO, will be the witness for the COMPANY?

Too many problems can arise from this….it is the COMPANY”S dash cam program…The COMPANY did not ask the drivers to approve its purchase.

With ALL this going on, WHY should a Rank & File Member be the one to “coach” the driver? Let COMPANY management do the job and let them hire the Safety people to do it….DON’T harm your Brothers & Sisters!

If you cause ME harm…I will come after YOUR card…..plain and simple.............KK
Question who perform the smith systems sessions for you guys? A teamster member or company person.

This whole issue reminds me of the words a former great shop steward used to say, "Why waste time picking the fly ::shit:: out of the pepper?". Personally I couldn't care less about being called in for "coaching" or who provides that coaching as long as none of that can be used for any disciplinary purposes. I'll listen to what the "coach" says, all of this while on the clock, and nod my head in agreement. Then when I leave I'll think about it and if it's good info I'll use it and if it's not I'll just ignore it and go about my business the way I always have. I just don't get the idea of getting all bent out of shape over it, but I guess that's just me. Why push back over trivial issues and get all aggravated? I like to go in to work, have as smooth a day as possible, and then go home to enjoy life.

I was told some sleeper drivers at 309 have been made examples of, for playing with the cameras in the trucks.