XPO | Cameras in trucks

Just a wild (pragmatic) guess, but these cameras are not designed to record your every move. They save the last 20-60 seconds before an "event". They may just save your A55 when some highly trained professional from another company swerves into your lane and you try to avoid the accident by moving onto the shoulder and, due to unforeseen circumstances, friction/gravity/inertia/bad luck intervenes and upsets one of your trailers and the other driver leaves the scene and you are stuck defending yourself with no real evidence of what happened. Yeh, like THAT would ever happen. Yeh...

if this was directed toward the driver from XAY a couple weeks ago...

for the record he flipped the third box avoiding another truck encroaching on his lane. And he has been reinstated

the system does work

62ddde34-492a-209b.jpg

I found a pic of the new cameras!

Been here for almost three years and been hearing about this from almost my hire date, last i heard a couple weeks ago was its going to be p&d only. Seems the incident ratio is 2:1 p&d. Could this be another way to weed out someone making 5 dollars more an hour?

Of course the accident ratio on P&D is 2:1, I'm surprised it's not higher!!! P&D is an accident just waiting to happen!!! Bumping docks all day long, moving in and out of multiple customer parking lots where you have to dodge the lunch rush and people going home, rush hour traffic on surface streets, it's a jungle. Add to it being moved from area to area regularly so that you're never totally comfortable with the area you're operating in and it's a recipe for disaster.

I would leave any company...regardless of the name on the door...if they instituted any type of video recording device.

I refuse to be subjected to the critique of some cubicle dweller who has ZERO understanding of the dynamics of trucking.

The only thing they know is what they have read from some textbook...or worse, the asinine and inaccurate rantings of the ATA.

Nope..not gonna happen.

I was hired to be a professional driver. If said companies are so insecure about those hired....then perhaps they need to fore go the entire 'driver' mentality and outsource the effort.

If these organizations are not willing to recognize and respect my abilities as a professional driver, then I have no need for them.

Rat

Holy Crap ! ! !
and here I thought we had just about eradicated Chicken Little Syndrome (CLS).
relax boys cameras are not new. These are called safety projects... federal grants to improve traffic safety. How the hell do you think the collision avoidance system went from design to implementation? 5 to 10 years ago XDE had cameras mounted in their trucks. That research is why AM/FM radios and dash mounted radio bases were installed. Maybe you haven't noticed we are driving toward World Class Safety

Holy crap times two... we have a service center out there in which cars are following drivers around in the city! It's not too late someone call the onion hotline!

do the research, "V2V", cool stuff. Ten years from now when you hit your brakes it will cause the car behind you to electronically react before the guy behind the wheel wakes up under your D.O.T. bumper

1) That collision avoidance system is dangerous. It reacts so sharply that it could cause an accident itself. I've driven most of the Freightshakers in our yard and every single one of them goes off and hits the brakes when the car in front of you takes an exit ramp and is in the exit lane. It thinks the car is still in front of you and when it applies the brakes it practically throws you through the windshield.

2) Driving to "world class safety"? Dude, do you sit in Greg Lemkuhl's office? Or just have lunch with him on Fridays?

3)If someone follows me around, they're getting the cops called on. Those chase vehicles companies are hiring now are dangerous, heck half of them are holding a damn camera in their hands while they drive!!! That's just DUMB!!!

4) V2V, great, that's all we need. Big brother driving the damn car now too.

Of course the accident ratio on P&D is 2:1, I'm surprised it's not higher!!! P&D is an accident just waiting to happen!!! Bumping docks all day long, moving in and out of multiple customer parking lots where you have to dodge the lunch rush and people going home, rush hour traffic on surface streets, it's a jungle. Add to it being moved from area to area regularly so that you're never totally comfortable with the area you're operating in and it's a recipe for disaster.

not too mention, where does the majority of senior drivers flock to "P&D". Easy for management to promise job security and then use "the gas chamber" (another method) to weed out top payed loyal employees. Keep pouring your heart into this meat grinder boys, your next in line....

They want mExicans driving there f-ing trucks.... Not some picky employee looking for benefits.
Soon, the oWners will cry to Congess about hElp!...but, will fail to tell "the reason why" no one-wants to drive "gas chambers around the cOntry "for FREE"

These new oWners....make me sick. Daddy gave them everything, and tought them nothing..
....pathetic

The next install will be to the a/c system. No letting it get above 78 degrees! Just try to conserve fuel!

LOL I can see I won't be around too much longer. I'm not going to be treated with such disrespect.

Unfortunately thanks to Conway other LTL's might follow. Monkey see monkey do. This happened in foodservice the top two first Sysco then Us foods followed. I guess FedEx is next possibly. Just watch. Other companies gonna be "that's a great idea" F' pay raises F' new equipment!

Actually, your right on the money...

Unfortunately thanks to Conway other LTL's might follow. Monkey see monkey do. This happened in foodservice the top two first Sysco then Us foods followed. I guess FedEx is next possibly. Just watch. Other companies gonna be "that's a great idea" F' pay raises F' new equipment!

During our presentation on Drive Cam last week (where they tried to tell all of us about how it was "all about safety") the Drive Cam sales rep. made mention of several pretty prominent LTL freight outfits that are in negotiations with Drive Cam. Drive Cam is using the lure of cheaper insurance to suck these companies in. "BIG BROTHER".....coming to a workplace near you...and soon. Welcome to the new age of the "Robo-Driver". But, it's only temporary, until they reach their real goal of replacing us with a machine. That's what these companies REALLY want. A Google powered robotic truck..I have seen the future....and it sucks. It came to the tanker outfits first. And now it's coming to your workplace.

not too mention, where does the majority of senior drivers flock to "P&D". Easy for management to promise job security and then use "the gas chamber" (another method) to weed out top payed loyal employees. Keep pouring your heart into this meat grinder boys, your next in line....

Not at my yard, all the senior guys here flock to l/h. Better money without the hassles of p&d, customers and dispatch on your ass at the same time.

The next install will be to the a/c system. No letting it get above 78 degrees! Just try to conserve fuel!

Which brings me to another point, I had a city dispatcher tell me that if I have to take my lunch in the truck I'm supposed to shut it off and sweat. **** that!! There aren't many places on the routes I run that either 1)have a lunch room or 2)have a parking lot big enough for me to stay at for 30 minutes without being in the way. I work hard enough while I'm working, and do multiple hours on the dock every night sweating my nuts off, I refuse to suffer in the heat for the only 30 minutes I get every day to rest.

for the record he flipped the third box avoiding another truck encroaching on his lane. And he has been reinstated

the system does work
Yes. After three weeks of hell for him and his family.
It worked really well, after he personally fought for the truth to be known with little support from above.

the system does work

Yes. After three weeks of hell for him and his family.
It worked really well, when he personally tracked down a very helpful third party to corroborate the truthful account that the police believed and understood, but company officials did not.

Imagine that...I find it difficult to believe that some cubicle dweller would ever question the integrity of a driver and doubt his/her word!!!

Unthinkable.:hysterical:

Rat