XPO | Cameras in trucks

Holy Crap ! ! !
Maybe you haven't noticed we are driving toward World Class Safety

Merdock if you can explain this part to me I will come to your side. If in fact CWF is moving toward "World Class Safety" as they claim, why do they continue to rebuild equipment and not rebuild it to current safety standards? Until that can be explained I firmly believe the "World Class Safety" is mostly HOT AIR.

Thank you sir, I will patiently wait for a logical explanation.

Merdock if you can explain this part to me I will come to your side. If in fact CWF is moving toward "World Class Safety" as they claim, why do they continue to rebuild equipment and not rebuild it to current safety standards? Until that can be explained I firmly believe the "World Class Safety" is mostly HOT AIR.

Your gonna be waiting a while because he's out cleaning up a accident right now !!!! Lol.

what standard do you want them to rebuild to? They are compliant with all federal law regarding re-manufacturing. Kinda hard to tear down a Sterling and rebuild it into a Cascadia

At the end of the day it's not the equipment holding us back as far as safety, it's driver behavior

Yes. After three weeks of hell for him and his family.
It worked really well, after he personally fought for the truth to be known with little support from above.

Imagine that...I find it difficult to believe that some cubicle dweller would ever question the integrity of a driver and doubt his/her word!!!

Unthinkable.:hysterical:

Rat

I know A.R. and what happened. Yes it was about three weeks but due to the severity of this type of incident the company does not rush to judgment. So how long did it take to get the completed police report?

what standard do you want them to rebuild to? They are compliant with all federal law regarding re-manufacturing. Kinda hard to tear down a Sterling and rebuild it into a Cascadia

At the end of the day it's not the equipment holding us back as far as safety, it's driver behavior

Merdock, I think your coolaid has fermented. First we have been told that the cascadias have over a 50% lower accident rate than the sterlings. I have a hard time connecting driver behavior to a different tractor. Secondly, I did not say meets federal law, I said rebuilt to the most current safety standards. They are not the same and yes the sterlings could be brought up to them although a new tractor would probably be cheaper. I really was thinking about trailers too, the cost of manufacturing them to current safety standards would be fairly low.

More than anything its all about walking the walk when you talk the talk. If safety really is your number one value then live it all the time everyday. Not only when it doesnt cost much or is convenient. It really needs to be a culture lived from the boardroom to the bathroom, not just some silly slogan like G.O.A.L. Things like that are good for green horns. Veterans need to live a culture not a slogan.

When corporate decides to really get behind safety then things will change.

BTW, you still didn't answer my question. I'm waiting.... tick tock tick tock...........

Look at the bright side.. have a brown nose driver that seems to ALWAYS have a scrape or dent on a truck but has NO CLUE how it got there so they aren't wrote up or fired?? This will FINALLY catch that person... just saying...

SAIA linedriver I've talked to has said that his company has followed Conway pretty closely on how they treat drivers, how they pay and what benefits they taken, etc. Seems like they've played 'follow the leader' with Conway in front. You're on the right path with your statement.....

Unfortunately thanks to Conway other LTL's might follow. Monkey see monkey do. This happened in foodservice the top two first Sysco then Us foods followed. I guess FedEx is next possibly. Just watch. Other companies gonna be "that's a great idea" F' pay raises F' new equipment!

Merdock, I think your coolaid has fermented. First we have been told that the cascadias have over a 50% lower accident rate than the sterlings. I have a hard time connecting driver behavior to a different tractor. Secondly, I did not say meets federal law, I said rebuilt to the most current safety standards. They are not the same and yes the sterlings could be brought up to them although a new tractor would probably be cheaper. I really was thinking about trailers too, the cost of manufacturing them to current safety standards would be fairly low.

More than anything its all about walking the walk when you talk the talk. If safety really is your number one value then live it all the time everyday. Not only when it doesnt cost much or is convenient. It really needs to be a culture lived from the boardroom to the bathroom, not just some silly slogan like G.O.A.L. Things like that are good for green horns. Veterans need to live a culture not a slogan.

When corporate decides to really get behind safety then things will change.

BTW, you still didn't answer my question. I'm waiting.... tick tock tick tock...........

Exactly. Another example of needing to walk the safety walk... the newest forklift we have on our porch is 12 years old. The horn has worn out and stopped working on 95% of them. What do we do? Put the $2.00 horn on the side of the tree instead of replacing the original assembly in the steering wheel. I'm sure that costs quite a bit more, but if you are in a hurry to hit the horn if you are about to get smashed into by a driver blasting out of a trailer at full astern, where are you going to reach? The steering wheel or the tree? Yup folks, that's the price of safety... $2.00.

I welcome a camera in my truck. I have had so many close calls from 4 wheelers cutting me off and then jamming on there breaks. Its there word against mine unless its is all caught on camera.

Sure you will..

I welcome a camera in my truck. I have had so many close calls from 4 wheelers cutting me off and then jamming on there breaks. Its there word against mine unless its is all caught on camera.

And when that video "lights up" and emails your management, you better hope and pray that 10 seconds BEFORE that red light goes on, that you were NOT doing anything except having your seat belt on and your hands at the proscribed "10 and 2" positions...Anything else is open to criticism. By people who have NEVER driven a commercial vehicle in their lives. And those will be your judge and jury. We have these already. You have no idea what door you are opening..

Lmfao **** nowadays i can put a camera on there camera and they be watching a p*on flick and never see whats really going on **** they can blow me !!!!!!!!!!!

And when that video "lights up" and emails your management, you better hope and pray that 10 seconds BEFORE that red light goes on, that you were NOT doing anything except having your seat belt on and your hands at the proscribed "10 and 2" positions...Anything else is open to criticism. By people who have NEVER driven a commercial vehicle in their lives. And those will be your judge and jury. We have these already. You have no idea what door you are opening..

Its there truck, I just drive it. They can put whatever they want in it. I don't have anything to worry about and nothing to hide. I don't think I am going to get fired for picking my nose at a red light or sleeping in the truck during my lunch.

Its there truck, I just drive it. They can put whatever they want in it. I don't have anything to worry about and nothing to hide. I don't think I am going to get fired for picking my nose at a red light or sleeping in the truck during my lunch.

You're not getting it.

The cameras in the trucks are there for no other purpose than to cover the company's backside in the case of an accident. They are NOT THERE for the protection of the driver.

Every company...without exception will do everything in its power to fault the driver...it is a liability thing.

Truck drivers are not viewed as professional tradesman...haven't been for some time.

You are looked upon as employees...a spreadsheet liability.

That being said....don't look for any support from your employer.

Rat

naw you wont just play Debbie does Dallas to there camera and you'll be ok !!!!

Yup, if you violate any policy for instance being on cell phone and almost getting into a accident, you'll get fired. Don't even have to get into a accident. This camera company has a computer that says how riskful you were, it goes by points and if you hit a certain risk they'll terminate you for being a safety hazard. It doesn't even have to be a cell phone, if you were distracted for any reason your the risk or at fault. Seen this happen with these. It's to pin anything on the driver, not to cover your ass.

naw you wont just play Debbie does Dallas to there camera and you'll be ok !!!!

Look, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm just someone who has to deal with these things. And, as stated we are a union shop. and, it's miserable. You can make all the jokes you want about what you may or may not do, but the bottom line is, once they install these things, it opens the door for all kinds of "judgments". All by some clown who has never driven anything bigger than a KIA. It starts out as "protection for the good driver", but then swiftly deteriorates into micromanagement. I deal with this everyday, Until you go to work, turn the key, and wait for that light to go from green to red over nothing, and then wait for your management to call you into the office over stuff any normal person would laugh about, and then threaten you with job loss etc..you have no idea.

do not sweat the small **** I seen a ex con~way driver the other day in a fed `ex uniform he laughed at me cos i was still here and they fired him !!

Yup, if you violate any policy for instance being on cell phone and almost getting into a accident, you'll get fired. Don't even have to get into a accident. This camera company has a computer that says how riskful you were, it goes by points and if you hit a certain risk they'll terminate you for being a safety hazard. It doesn't even have to be a cell phone, if you were distracted for any reason your the risk or at fault. Seen this happen with these. It's to pin anything on the driver, not to cover your ass.
Yep...exactly right...Have any doubt ? Read the link...Driver Risk Management. The Driver Safety and Driver Productivity System | Driver Risk Management