XPO | Cameras in trucks

what standard do you want them to rebuild to? They are compliant with all federal law regarding re-manufacturing. Kinda hard to tear down a Sterling and rebuild it into a Cascadia

At the end of the day it's not the equipment holding us back as far as safety, it's driver behavior

I would say that when Conway "refurbs" old trailers to fresh ones and refuses to add anti lock brakes which are required on anything made after 1997, is not practicing a core safety value. I know since the axle is pre 1997, they don't have to, it would still be a nice gesture. But at the end of the day, it seems bottom $$$$$ makes the decision not safety.

I am not scared, worried, concerned, bothered, upset, or afraid. I don't have any fears for losing my job. It was the same thing with the handhelds and the GPS in them. Big brother is watching you where you are at, there are going to start questioning where you are and what you are doing. People are going to get fired over this. Has not happend in my part of the world. In fact, it has come in handy when trying to explain to my dispatcher why I cannot get something done because of the constraints of time and distance. They GPS me and then look on a map to see where they want me to go in not enough time.

I have to quote Merdock on this one, "the sky is not falling" guys. Keep both hands on the wheel, steer towards the problem, and have a safe trip.

Merdock, I think your coolaid has fermented. First we have been told that the cascadias have over a 50% lower accident rate than the sterlings. I have a hard time connecting driver behavior to a different tractor. Secondly, I did not say meets federal law, I said rebuilt to the most current safety standards. They are not the same and yes the sterlings could be brought up to them although a new tractor would probably be cheaper. I really was thinking about trailers too, the cost of manufacturing them to current safety standards would be fairly low.

More than anything its all about walking the walk when you talk the talk. If safety really is your number one value then live it all the time everyday. Not only when it doesnt cost much or is convenient. It really needs to be a culture lived from the boardroom to the bathroom, not just some silly slogan like G.O.A.L. Things like that are good for green horns. Veterans need to live a culture not a slogan.

When corporate decides to really get behind safety then things will change.

BTW, you still didn't answer my question. I'm waiting.... tick tock tick tock...........

waiting for what... you answered your own question. And then you said you were really thinking about trailers. There will be the need for many more ticks and tocks if you expect a mind reading to also occur on my part. Safety has never been a bigger part of this company then it is today. The most current safety standards ARE federal standards which is federal law. What specific part of a rebuilt tractor or trailer do you feel is unsafe? People buy used cars from dealers everyday that are "certified" pre-owned. But I don't see anybody adding side impact airbags to a Geo Tracker because it's the right thing to do before I sell it.

Get out and look is a culture that the veterans have not decided to live. If you see G.O.A.L. as only a silly slogan then you are also another incident waiting to happen. And I said incident on purpose... if I had said accident then there would be one more excuse for you to say it wasn't your fault. So this "Culture" you speak of in regards to veterans, tell me Sparky since you know so much more than the boardroom, what's this culture look like and how do you get drivers to buy into it?

Why are the Cascadias safer? Because technology has developed to where the truck makes up for the culture the drivers aren't buying into. Safe following distance, actions not reactions, alert non-fatigued behaviors. A new Cascadia is like having your dad ride with you when you were 15. "Hey, pay attention, do you see that car slowing in front of you? Well what are you going to do about it? Don't make me come over there and hit those brakes for you!" And who other than your dad or a Cascadia will scream at you when you start drifting out of your lane because you're not paying attention.

And our green horns are safer! Graduates of the 12 Week school are safer. Why? Because get out and look is not a silly slogan to them, it's a system to manage the risks associated with every day life in LTL. We teach knowledge in the schools and offer knowledge everyday in safety training. What's the difference between the green horns getting it and the veterans avoiding it... attitude. Now this is where you get to come at me with "attitude is all the company's fault too".

I love rodents in training

waiting for what... you answered your own question. And then you said you were really thinking about trailers. There will be the need for many more ticks and tocks if you expect a mind reading to also occur on my part. Safety has never been a bigger part of this company then it is today. The most current safety standards ARE federal standards which is federal law. What specific part of a rebuilt tractor or trailer do you feel is unsafe? People buy used cars from dealers everyday that are "certified" pre-owned. But I don't see anybody adding side impact airbags to a Geo Tracker because it's the right thing to do before I sell it.

Get out and look is a culture that the veterans have not decided to live. If you see G.O.A.L. as only a silly slogan then you are also another incident waiting to happen. And I said incident on purpose... if I had said accident then there would be one more excuse for you to say it wasn't your fault. So this "Culture" you speak of in regards to veterans, tell me Sparky since you know so much more than the boardroom, what's this culture look like and how do you get drivers to buy into it?

Why are the Cascadias safer? Because technology has developed to where the truck makes up for the culture the drivers aren't buying into. Safe following distance, actions not reactions, alert non-fatigued behaviors. A new Cascadia is like having your dad ride with you when you were 15. "Hey, pay attention, do you see that car slowing in front of you? Well what are you going to do about it? Don't make me come over there and hit those brakes for you!" And who other than your dad or a Cascadia will scream at you when you start drifting out of your lane because you're not paying attention.

And our green horns are safer! Graduates of the 12 Week school are safer. Why? Because get out and look is not a silly slogan to them, it's a system to manage the risks associated with every day life in LTL. We teach knowledge in the schools and offer knowledge everyday in safety training. What's the difference between the green horns getting it and the veterans avoiding it... attitude. Now this is where you get to come at me with "attitude is all the company's fault too".

I love rodents in training

Rodent in training...that's funny.

As usual...you missed the point.

Con-Way rebuilds trailers using pre-1997 axles to avoid implementing the anti-lock braking system. The peeps at Searcy, AR have been this doing for years.

The anti-lock braking system utilized on trailers has been PROVEN to be a safety enhancement.

If Con-Way is so 'safety oriented', then why do they go out of their way to avoid using these obvious improvements if not for the sake of money...albeit at the expense of those people operating equipment not so equipped.

No!!!...safety is not a priority at Con-Way...money is the deciding factor. This is proven through this asinine practice of using older axles when rebuilding trailers to avoid having to use the anti-lock technology.

Safety First?...don't think so. As a former Con-Way employee said long ago "Safety is something to say...make videos about it...cutesy posters...wave hands about during presentations...but in the end its all about the money...and only about the money." With this company 'safety' is something to talk about...for the public...the media...and the government (FMCSA)...all for the sake of appearance and nothing more.

And BTW, a GEO Tracker IS NOT a CMV...you have a lot to learn about operating a commercial vehicle, which is obvious you know little or nothing about. It is not something you will glean from the company handbook. Actions and safe practices are what we do....reactions are what saves lives, property, and lawsuits.

Educate yourself...then come back here and converse with drivers on an equal basis.

Until that occurs, your postings are shrugged off as little more than corporate lip service.

Tic Tock Tic Tock...

Your turn Sparky!!!

Rat

And BTW...Do you perceive me to be such a threat to the company's way of thinking that you find it necessary to attack or refer to me in many of your postings?

Considering your affection for rules...remember this...the rules on this board is to attack the post...not the poster. If you search long enough, I am sure that is in the Con-Way handbook as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodent in training...that's funny.

As usual...you missed the point.
Con-Way rebuilds trailers using pre-1997 axles to avoid implementing the anti-lock braking system. The peeps at Searcy, AR have been this doing for years.
The anti-lock braking system utilized on trailers has been PROVEN to be a safety enhancement.
If Con-Way is so 'safety oriented', then why do they go out of their way to avoid using these obvious improvements if not for the sake of money...albeit at the expense of those people operating equipment not so equipped.
No!!!...safety is not a priority at Con-Way...money is the deciding factor. This is proven through this asinine practice of using older axles when rebuilding trailers to avoid having to use the anti-lock technology.
Safety First?...don't think so. As a former Con-Way employee said long ago "Safety is something to say...make videos about it...cutesy posters...wave hands about during presentations...but in the end its all about the money...and only about the money." With this company 'safety' is something to talk about...for the public...the media...and the government (FMCSA)...all for the sake of appearance and nothing more.
And BTW, a GEO Tracker IS NOT a CMV...you have a lot to learn about operating a commercial vehicle, which is obvious you know little or nothing about. It is not something you will glean from the company handbook. Actions and safe practices are what we do....reactions are what saves lives, property, and lawsuits.
Educate yourself...then come back here and converse with drivers on an equal basis.
Until that occurs, your postings are shrugged off as little more than corporate lip service.
Tic Tock Tic Tock...
Your turn Sparky!!!
Rat
And BTW...Do you perceive me to be such a threat to the company's way of thinking that you find it necessary to attack or refer to me in many of your postings?
Considering your affection for rules...remember this...the rules on this board is to attack the post...not the poster. If you search long enough, I am sure that is in the Con-Way handbook as well.

so being an ex-employee you should have no difficulty in listing all the safety elements of your present employer's equipment and why that employer will never fit in the same category of your previous big bad unsafe, un-caring employer. So why all the safety enhancements on the Cascadias? Lane departure warning and anti-collision both options the company choose to add to the tractors. In-dash radios and CB mounts on the dash, also safety enhancements. And those shiny new trailers mounted on an old axle because the axle carries the registration number have absolutely no safety improvements for the drivers... right? So why the added step between the D.O.T bumper and the floor of the trailer? Wow, once again I'm glad you came along to remind us about your big bad un-caring ex-employing company.

All fleets operating doubles and longer have a mix of ABS and non-ABS equipment. ABS technology does not reduce stopping distance. Actually at times it can extend it. I didn't miss the point at all. At the end of the day it's not whether a set was 100% ABS or not that PREVENTS our involvement in an incident. It's most often the ability of the driver that decides it. So we're back to a discussion on safety culture and behavior based driving. Safe practices and defensive driving ARE actions. Preventing the need for reactions saves lives.

This week you pull out the "they're so dangerous and don't care" soapbox. I'm wondering which one you pull out next week and stand on to remind me and all those who venture here of how much I don't know after 23 years as a DSR, 3 years in heavy equipment transportation, and 7 with refers. I mention rodents in training and you come along and throw a yellow flag asking for a personal attack penalty. Wow, the chance that a minion gets challenged and poof... the rodent comes calling aligning all non-believers in the cross-hairs of his keyboard.

Merdock said:
what standard do you want them to rebuild to? They are compliant with all federal law regarding re-manufacturing. Kinda hard to tear down a Sterling and rebuild it into a Cascadia

At the end of the day it's not the equipment holding us back as far as safety, it's driver behavior

They are made by the same company. These rebuilt power units are a joke with so much slack in the steering box you have 10 inches of free play in the steering wheel in either direction. As far as the cameras go they need to place them in ALL company vehicles and common areas to monitor others besides just drivers. Seems a bit discriminatory to single out one group of people eh?

Merdock we could go tit for tat all day long. I agree the driver is the number one safety item in a tractor. I have been out here over thirty years and you make a lot of assumptions in my writings here, shame on you! GOAL is not something I need a silly little sticker creating a blind spot in my mirror to remind me. It is what a Professional does, he doesnt need the silly sticker. I have walked 20 mins into a property to make sure I have business in there and can safely make a delivery or pick up.

Here is my point, are you ready? It's fairly simple and I hope others can grasp it.

If safety was really the number one core value (if), the money would be spent on rebuilt equipment to bring it up to CURRENT safety standards. If profit is the number one guiding principle they won't. Pure and simple, it's like being pregnant either you are or you aren't.

A new driveline, a couple of air bags on the cab, and a paint job just doesn't cut it.

If I wasn't clear please re-read paragraph 3.

Tick Tock Tick Tock.

Abs does not reduce stopping distance but what it does do is help a driver maintain better control in the event of a sudden stop situation. Especially in wet and snowy conditions. Why would we side step a valuable tool? I understand that it costs $$$ but I also understand that using these older axles saves $$$ on taxes.......which I read about not too long ago where CW spent more lobbying than on taxes.

Merdock we could go tit for tat all day long. I agree the driver is the number one safety item in a tractor. I have been out here over thirty years and you make a lot of assumptions in my writings here, shame on you! GOAL is not something I need a silly little sticker creating a blind spot in my mirror to remind me. It is what a Professional does, he doesnt need the silly sticker. I have walked 20 mins into a property to make sure I have business in there and can safely make a delivery or pick up.

Here is my point, are you ready? It's fairly simple and I hope others can grasp it.

If safety was really the number one core value (if), the money would be spent on rebuilt equipment to bring it up to CURRENT safety standards. If profit is the number one guiding principle they won't. Pure and simple, it's like being pregnant either you are or you aren't.

A new driveline, a couple of air bags on the cab, and a paint job just doesn't cut it.

If I wasn't clear please re-read paragraph 3.

Tick Tock Tick Tock.

I'm not making assumptions, I'm reading what you have written and responding. Now you have not mentioned the GOAL sticker on the mirror in previous posts. I agree it has no place on our mirrors. You said silly slogan earlier not silly stickers. If I'm not getting it then then help me understand "current safety standards". The government sets the standards and pre-trips and post trips are required to determine every day if the equipment meets current safety standards. There is a difference between an unsafe truck and a truck (rebuilt sterling) that is not as safe as another (new cascadia). You tell me, am I lost in the semantics of "current safety standards"?

13) Posting flame posts (posts intended to do nothing more but cause an argument) is not allowed here, you are a guest in other company forums, if you do so, you will not be allowed to post in that forum, you are not to go on other company forums for the sole purpose of putting down another company, this does not make you or your company look good, if you wish to talk about another company on your own forum and it relates to your company you are free to do so, we are not here to bash each other we are here for information, if you can't follow these guidelines we prefer you take it to a different website.

I'm not making assumptions, I'm reading what you have written and responding. Now you have not mentioned the GOAL sticker on the mirror in previous posts. I agree it has no place on our mirrors. You said silly slogan earlier not silly stickers. If I'm not getting it then then help me understand "current safety standards". The government sets the standards and pre-trips and post trips are required to determine every day if the equipment meets current safety standards. There is a difference between an unsafe truck and a truck (rebuilt sterling) that is not as safe as another (new cascadia). You tell me, am I lost in the semantics of "current safety standards"?

Current safety standards would mean rebuilding equipment to the same standards new equipment is required to meet.

Yes I know that is not what the Gov. requires. They did a great job with the Cascadias, they exceed current safety standards with all of the electronics they chose to add. Why cant the sterlings and trailers just be brought up to current standards when rebuilt? Oh Yea, money. See Safety isn't number one, see my point?

They chose to rebuild to only the older safety standards required by law to save money. I would assume in an attempt to lower costs. If safety is our number one value they would most surely pony up the few extra bucks.

13) Posting flame posts (posts intended to do nothing more but cause an argument) is not allowed here, you are a guest in other company forums, if you do so, you will not be allowed to post in that forum, you are not to go on other company forums for the sole purpose of putting down another company, this does not make you or your company look good, if you wish to talk about another company on your own forum and it relates to your company you are free to do so, we are not here to bash each other we are here for information, if you can't follow these guidelines we prefer you take it to a different website.

No flaming intended.

The referred to poster has a problem with anything I post on the Con-Way forum...and makes every attempt to discredit said posts.

And I will refer to the "rodents in training" comment by said poster. These attacks have been going on for some time without comment from me.

I find it disturbing that when I do make a comment on the posters obvious reference to my postings, blatantly referring to me as a rodent due to my screen name, I have become the bad guy.

The poster has an issue with me...OK, I can deal with it. And yes, I have referenced said poster as well.

However...I have always thought of this forum as place to agree or disagree. Present facts and opinions as one may desire.

I may have had the wrong assumption.

Do my comments here http://www.truckingboards.com/forum/con-way-freight/84640-driving-jobs-nobody-wants-3.html have anything do so with this???

I worked for Con-Way for ten years...I watched first hand things done to the livelihood of good hard working dedicated employees. The company went from the best to one to be avoided. These are not my opinions alone...the posts of those still employed tell the tale.

I have dozens of good friends still employed with the company...people I have met over the years....good folks with the same concerns as everyone else in this industry regardless of the name on the door.

I won't be silenced...if this is not acceptable...so be it.

As far as "taking it to another website"...that would be Jeff's call.

If he decides that is in the best interest of the forum I will deal with it.

Life goes on...

Rat

It was just a reminder to be respectful as a guest on this forum. It is a direct quote of the rules, not my words.

I don't take anything personal on the boards. You called me out and I proved you wrong. I'll be the first to throw myself under the bus for a laugh.

Most of my posts are designed to illicit a response, good or bad. I also never use mod stuff if I am actively involved in a thread.

It was just a reminder to be respectful as a guest on this forum. It is a direct quote of the rules, not my words.

I don't take anything personal on the boards. You called me out and I proved you wrong. I'll be the first to throw myself under the bus for a laugh.

Most of my posts are designed to illicit a response, good or bad. I also never use mod stuff if I am actively involved in a thread.

I never called you out...I questioned your OTR experience.

Whence you detailed said experience. As many of us have had...

Direct quoting of the rules for what reason??? There must have some reason for the quote!!!

I was the one who was 'called out' by a poster who takes every opportunity to belittle my 'contributions' to the forum and when I question these postings I am 'reminded of the rules' and 'invited to take it to another website.'

I expect no privilege...just equal treatment...has the other offending poster received the same 're-education' of the rules I have???...

This isn't about posting in your own forum....it is about personal attacks.

Rat

You were not invited to take it to another site, quit being so dramatic. That was a word for word, copy paste of the rule. You were quoting rules to another poster, so I reminded you of another I thought you might want to keep in mind. There's no need to get your britches in a twist.

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum/truckingboards/rules_of_the_road.html

There's a link to the complete list in case you want to refresh your memory. The one I quoted is #13.

The thing that torques me most about the new uniform is they are made in Guatamala and Hondurous, Conway is too cheap to employ a few people here in the States to make them. Seems kinda counter productive to send business out of the country, when we haul freight around this country.

I never called you out...I questioned your OTR experience.

Whence you detailed said experience. As many of us have had...

Direct quoting of the rules for what reason??? There must have some reason for the quote!!!

I was the one who was 'called out' by a poster who takes every opportunity to belittle my 'contributions' to the forum and when I question these postings I am 'reminded of the rules' and 'invited to take it to another website.'

I expect no privilege...just equal treatment...has the other offending poster received the same 're-education' of the rules I have???...

This isn't about posting in your own forum....it is about personal attacks.

Rat

No one likes rodents... Lifes a B....ch