FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

I have yet to hear an answer explaining the difference from the same customer. Said shipper shipped two nearly identical hazardous products (weight and number of containers virtually the same), 5 gallon square jugs, on the same day to the same customer. One DR was 18% and the other was 5%. I do not think negotiated will explain it away. But were 1 day points and both priority shipments.
Might be the difference in who pays the freight, shipper or consignee

Shipper is paying the freight in the example above. It used to be the same rate across the board but recently something has changed. When you look at my example above it is a mysterious other variable. Same shipper, same day, same product, both identical hazardous shipments, going to the same customer on the same day. It just seems very odd to me. Yesterdays spread was 0%, 5%, 5.5% and 12%.

Reactions: Ump
Creativity and Frontline Employees: 4 Ways to Bring Them Together

http://approachableleadership.com/creativity/

"1.Be more Approachable...

2.Ask employees for suggestions...

3.Loosen up the reigns. If an employee presents you with a solution to a problem that directly relates to their role in the company and it’ll work, let them run with it! Not everything has to be done one way, or your way.

4.Slow down a little bit. Zappos’ thought process on embracing longer conversations with customers produces results that not only increase customer commitment and satisfaction, but also increase employees’ creative thinking, problem solving, and independence. I can only imagine how things might change if leaders took the same approach with their coworkers."

Shocking concept.

Creativity and Frontline Employees: 4 Ways to Bring Them Together

http://approachableleadership.com/creativity/

"1.Be more Approachable...

2.Ask employees for suggestions...

3.Loosen up the reigns. If an employee presents you with a solution to a problem that directly relates to their role in the company and it’ll work, let them run with it! Not everything has to be done one way, or your way.

4.Slow down a little bit. Zappos’ thought process on embracing longer conversations with customers produces results that not only increase customer commitment and satisfaction, but also increase employees’ creative thinking, problem solving, and independence. I can only imagine how things might change if leaders took the same approach with their coworkers."

Shocking concept.

Agree 100%, works very well with engaged employee groups that want and can be involved in such conversations, more challenging with groups that aren't interested in giving or receiving feedback for various reasons.

Question is......which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Anyone have issues with the permanent adjustable load bars in the old Watkins trailers?

They seem like a good idea, and may have fit well with the target freight model that Watkins had, but in practice, since being integrated, we have brutalized them to the point of no return. Should the be removed? Repaired? Or what?

Anyone have issues with the permanent adjustable load bars in the old Watkins trailers?

They seem like a good idea, and may have fit well with the target freight model that Watkins had, but in practice, since being integrated, we have brutalized them to the point of no return. Should the be removed? Repaired? Or what?
It would be good to get them repaired. Also would be nice if the adjusting tool was in every trailer with this system. For some reason the tools go awol.

I see a fair amount of non functioning bars in these trailers due mostly to being bent. I have yet to see one of those adjusting tools in the wild. If you do take one of those trailers out you learn quick to take a broken pallet board along to adjust them if needed.

I see a fair amount of non functioning bars in these trailers due mostly to being bent. I have yet to see one of those adjusting tools in the wild. If you do take one of those trailers out you learn quick to take a broken pallet board along to adjust them if needed.
We use dock hooks or fifth wheel hooks. They have positives and negatives. Them getting bent is the biggest negative. Pluses are the bars stay in the trailer and off the dock. Much easier for the dock guys, no more having to find bars that three guys have ran over with a lift. Another positive is using them in city pickups. If you know it's gonna be tight you can drop a couple bars in the rear and get those extra pallets on.
Over all I like them better then the FedEx bars. No more pinched fingers!

5th wheel puller works the same.

A number of the city vans in Canada (most until the new liftgates came in a couple of years ago) use these bars. The drivers assigned them use their fifth wheel pullers because the adjustment tools vanished ages ago.

Only a handful of pups have these bars. Most of them are broken, and unlike the vans there is nowhere to use straps. I always thought they should replace them with logistics posts, at least in the pups.

Only a handful of pups have these bars. Most of them are broken, and unlike the vans there is nowhere to use straps. I always thought they should replace them with logistics posts, at least in the pups.

Straps would be a issue. Ours clip right into the track. FedEx used a lot of rope when I worked there and even that would be a issue with the e-track system.

What you need are some of these.

40O0cXl.jpg

They clip into the track of the old Watkins trailers, allowing for the use of the straps that have hooks. Just remember to move them to the rear when not in use or they will tear up some freight. Especially bags.

These clips seem to disappear at about the same rate as the adjusting tools.

I agree, they "should" never leave the trailers that need them. Regardless, they simply must be stocked, in order to comply with load securement rules...

Worth noting, the straps that don't have hooks are worthless on these trailers.

Yet another unicorn sighting with those clips. We only have a few dock plates that need dock hooks to operate. Re-purposing them is not an option.