FedEx Freight | City Driver Stuff

You guys do know you can buy a fifth wheel puller at literally any truck stop, right? They're basically the same as dock hooks but look a little fancier. If you don't have one, they aren't particularly expensive and I would recommend getting one. Just carry it around with you if you can't leave your stuff in your truck.

I never saw one of those clips. We don't have them for the city vans (which have logistics posts in the back and don't need them, really) and in the pups the bars are often broken completely and missing or too bent to use. Expecting those clips to be available for road use when there already aren't enough? Not gonna happen.

A billion dollar company that can not afford plate hooks ?
If just one dock hook would prevent one injury they would more than pay for all of the hooks.

A billion dollar company that can not afford plate hooks ?
If just one dock hook would prevent one injury they would more than pay for all of the hooks.
Which would be fine if people didn't manage to lose the plate hooks instead of leaving them in the cab of the truck. It's like the cleaning supplies. They aren't strictly necessary for the drivers' use, and inevitably they get left lying around and run over. I've seen lots of bent dock hooks in the garbage, and that's with just the dock using them.

I never saw one of those clips. We don't have them for the city vans (which have logistics posts in the back and don't need them, really) and in the pups the bars are often broken completely and missing or too bent to use. Expecting those clips to be available for road use when there already aren't enough? Not gonna happen.

They are available and CAN be ordered. They should be universally available in the system, but someone who cares enough would have to order them.

Generally speaking, when the snap shot is imminent, does that explain a Manager's fowl mood?
I often wondered, does the snap shot team grade the tone of the operation, or just policy compliance and proper documentation?

Last edited:
Generally speaking, when the snap shot is imminent, does that explain a Manager's fowl mood?
I often wondered, does the snap shot team grade the tone of the operation, or just policy compliance and proper documentation?

Does your manager eat lunch at KFC a lot when the snapshot team is around or something?......:poke:

Seriously, great question Swamp.....

I would say a lot of it depends on who the person is......kind of like battlefield commanders......some will stand there calmly while the rounds are whizzing by, others will run around showing lots of intensity....no real way to determine which one is correct, as it is pretty much a matter of preference.

As for me, give me the duck on the pond anytime, in my opinion it allows everyone to better focus on doing what they are supposed to be doing.....

As for the tone.....I would think it plays a part, but the tone can also be set by the snapshot team and the way they go about their business as well......

Be safe!

I believe they just do policy compliance and proper documentation. Whenever they come around it's always make sure your paperwork is correct, badge is showing,ect,ect. I think the manager is nervous or in a fowl mood is because a lot of it comes down on his head if things are wrong

Luckily, it seems that a good/great snapshot changes the dynamic as well.:cool:

"The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck" - Anthony Robbins

Luckily, it seems that a good/great snapshot changes the dynamic as well.:cool:

"The meeting of preparation with opportunity generates the offspring we call luck" - Anthony Robbins

Very perceptive sir.......

The centers that work to do things right each and every day most likely will not exhibit the intensity/stress level of those that may not be as concerned with policy until the day of arrival......but again, depends on the style and personality as well....

Has anyone else noticed a fuel surcharge issue? I have seen delivery receipts vary from 5% to 18% for shipments shipped on the same day from the same customer going to the same consignee.
Have you noticed your bills lately? I was paying attention to the surcharge today and noticed the range of the surcharge seems to have changed, at least today. The vast majority showed .20% (yeah, as in less than 1%). The other few showed 7.5%.

Also noticed that all bills, prepaid and collect, still show the charge.

Last edited:
If a road drivers drives 360 total miles at 60 miles per hour it will take 6 hours to complete. I haven't been payed mileage in awhile but I'm thinking it's about .65 per mile. That's a rate of $234 or $39 per hour. Now let's pay them 2 hrs for drops and hooks on each side. Most can complete those total hooks in less than an hour but get paid for 2. Let's say it takes them 2 hrs to complete the hooks, that totals an 8 hr day. The road driver has made $285 for his 8 hr work day and the city driver has made $207 and $25.98/ hr. Now the city driver does get overtime after 8 hrs but the road driver gets his overtime on the front end with how high the mileage pay is. Mileage pay is equal to overtime pay for a city driver. If you average out the pay for miles driven on a road driver and hours worked for a city driver, the pay is not even close. In this example the road driver received overtime pay for 6 of his first 8 hrs. Now this is equal pay? No. Now we get into road drivers receiving an average pay for vacations? Why cant city get an average based on their overtime like road gets on mileage? City gets the shorty on not only pay but vacation pay????? Seriously needs to be taken a look at. I promise road drivers would agree, city drivers have the hardest job at the company and yet get the shaft when it comes to pay. That's the reason they're road, they wouldn't want to deal with what city drivers do.
I know this is an old thread and with the recent raise the city finally get the average on their vacation pay or 40 hours which ever is more, as far as the number of hours worked city vs road I've never worked less than 10 and usually around 11.5 he's a day, so put that into your equation on 57.5 hrs a week with 17.5 hrs ot, so if you worked that many hours you would make as much as I do. Your trying to compare apples to oranges.

Van Repairs

Does anyone notice the horrible condition of SOME City trailers. Older 45' trailers, as well as SOME 48' & to a lesser extent 53s, have taken a beating, over the years.

The interior of some of these have missing/broken rub rails, missing/broken wall panels, holes in floors, etc. While I do write these things up, many of the above mentioned defects often don't get fixed. We have all seen the damage potential of these conditions.

While I can fully understand the reluctance to place these pieces of equipment out of service when we are too busy and available trailers are in short supply, one would think that while we are NOT at capacity, these issues could/should be addressed. We know that we live and die by the numbers, and the slow season may not be the best time to shoulder "costs", but from a operational/practical stand point, it is the only time. Any one here from Fleet Maintenance?

If we think we are saving money by not making these repairs, claims from damages MUST be factored in, not to mention, the Corporate image.

I used to think that FedEx (Freight) had a system of "Best Practices" to address things like this, refurbishing during slow season, taking time to get it right every time, etc, etc. It seems that there are many areas that have no rhyme or reason, and are left to random and varying degrees of attention.
Update:

Since that time, it seem that the worst of the oldest X models have earned a nice retirement. Living out their remaining years, relaxing on the yard, as "trap trailers". :1036316054:

No City Driver discussion would be compete without mentioning the single Benefit that is less fair for the City Driver. The Vacation Benefit. Every piece of the compensation structure applies to each driver when performing the same tasks. Mileage, drop and hooks, hourly, etc, apply equally to all. All benefits are the same, as is the cost thereof. Well, all except that one Benefit.

Update.

Correction made. City is on par with road. All benefits/costs, etc. now seem to be the same. :woohoo1:

:1904:

Update:

Since that time, it seem that the worst of the oldest X models have earned a nice retirement. Living out their remaining years, relaxing on the yard, as "trap trailers". :1036316054:
On some yards, other yards have become a dumping ground for those trailers where they're still being used.

Do yall still have the old 45' X-vans still in service?
We have so many "old X vans" on our yard that I guess some "could" be the old 45's. I don't pull them so I'm not sure. Your original post ran the gamut of old X vans so I was referencing "old X vans" in general.

We have so many "old X vans" on our yard that I guess some "could" be the old 45's. I don't pull them so I'm not sure. Your original post ran the gamut of old X vans so I was referencing "old X vans" in general.
Oh, I understand. Those headed out to pasture, SHOULD NOT be limited by length. I'm sure some U-vans should be nearing retirement age too.

I don't pull many pups, but that part of the fleet "seems" to improving, as well.