XPO | Culture Matters

Definitely more dockworkers. They don't cost as much and I welcome it. The last thing I want to do is work the dock. We don't have to hire a bunch drivers to grow, just get the drivers off the dock into tractors and we can move alot more freight.

I hear you. Drivers drive.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, however.

It's really not that complicated. Want to stop crime in America have a punishment that deters the crime? Want to stop damages hold people accountable, 1-talk 2-letter 3-out the door. Camera on every door should get the Toyota asses off the motor to use dunnage and straps.I'm sure the new handhelds have the software technology to monitor what we are doing with our dock time.I can't count the times I have been forced to stay late while dockworkers and local drivers are BSing to get dock hours.hours. I can live without being watched but this is what happens when people abuse.

It's the culture of abuse that needs reformed the most. There are a lot of people that feel awfully entitled.

Even in the wake of being sold. I hear people that feel that they have been here " x " number of years and that it's their way or the highway.

It amazises me how some guys take pride in the fact that they have service rank over you. These are usually the same ones that have learned to game the system. Looking busy,killing time,passing the buck. Never worked a job where my ability to earn is controlled by the guy ahead of me,nor have I had to reapply yearly for a new spot.

It amazises me how some guys take pride in the fact that they have service rank over you. These are usually the same ones that have learned to game the system. Looking busy,killing time,passing the buck. Never worked a job where my ability to earn is controlled by the guy ahead of me,nor have I had to reapply yearly for a new spot.

Welcome to Conway...ahhummm.. XPO!!! But who knows...things could change under Mr. Jacobs' reign.

I don't mind the work,that's the problem. I understand that our profession has uncertainty. On the road I could deal with short mileage,but my pay scale didn't drop. If it got to bad on the road I could always change the name on the door. Hoping not to get bumped yearly is not for me.

It's been two weeks since we started this discussion and over 7,500 views... we have a few peoples' attention apparently
So as we move into the new bids of 2016 and people being shuffled, what will our Lean and Engagement Teams look like in January? I ask again, why isn't there an effort to drive engagement the way Lean has been promoted? Kevin Kruse is another author that really makes sense regarding employee engagement.
http://www.kevinkruse.com/books/

Kevin's post discussing the success of Chick-fil-A has me wondering, if we can develop the discretionary effort of everyone that touches our customer's freight, how quickly can we drive down our damages?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinkruse/2015/12/08/how-chick-fil-a-created-a-culture-that-lasts/

They didn't push engagement the way they pushed lean because they never cared about engagement. That proves that's what lean was never about.

LEAN was about saving money and reducing operating expenses to make the company more appealing to a buyer. Which worked amazingly well. Be sure to thank your LEAN team for selling us out.
LEAN didn't sell anything. Jacobs has been talking negatively about LEAN since before the buyout actually took place. And now, the plug has been pulled on that waste of money.

LEAN didn't sell anything. Jacobs has been talking negatively about LEAN since before the buyout actually took place. And now, the plug has been pulled on that waste of money.

He has indeed. But it was the Con-way version of cost cutting and waste elimination that is now in high gear as XPO takes hold. It was the previous regimes way of shinning a turd.

A metaphor, if you'd like. Say you are selling your old transportation special, you are still gonna wash it first. But probably not that good. Just clean it up a bit. More or less just take all your crap out of it and make sure you aren't forgetting something of yours inside. Then the kid that buys it is gonna think the world of that thing. It's his/her first car. They are gonna detail it. Hang stuff from the mirror. Put in a new stereo. Cover it with stickers inside and out.

The perspective is different. The intentions are different. The expectations are different.

Wonder what Jerry D, Would think of this?

About culture matters ? About the lean team existing or about it being eliminated ? About the company making money ? About the employees being personally invested in assuring that the company makes money ? What's your question ?

I Really, REALLY hate to say it but the only way to hold individuals accountable for damages is to have cameras on the dock . that way there's no " it was damaged by the previous driver/dock worker" , Because when it comes down to it in this day and age people have very few ethics when it comes to making money or loosing money, that's why an incentive program (on an individual basis) based on not damaging freight will not work, unless there are cameras because driver #2 will always blame driver #1 if he can. then if they do add cameras are they really saving anything? No the purchase price , installation, increased turnover in employees plus the coast of personal to monitor, investigate damages and maintain the cameras and system in the end they will save nothing . Ever since they took away our pension the attitude went to "who cares" then when they took our big bonuses away the attitude went to "F**K this place " . A $600 incentive isn't much to concern over, Now if they jack it back up to $6000-$7000 people will pay attention. The dock workers also need the same bonus for this to work . You have to spend money to make money

Anybody have a number on how much money the company saved on having the cameras in the trucks or cost them money? I assume they saved money by getting out of accidents that wasn't our fault